Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
fat

loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1172265093758935040

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

graveportents posted:

Ice wasn't carried into battle though right? IIRC it was for ceremonial stuff like executions.

ice was originally forged to be the ceremonial toothpick of the giant kings

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

graveportents posted:

Ice wasn't carried into battle though right? IIRC it was for ceremonial stuff like executions.

Nope, Ice was used in battle. It was described as having a blade "wider than a man's hand" and being taller than Robb when he was an adolescent. Assuming that the width it's referring to is near the base of the blade and it tapers significantly, and the taller-than-Robb comment is including the handle, which on many greatswords is quite large, Ice is an unusually, but not obscenely large greatsword. The fact that it's made of a metal that's far lighter and tougher than even high quality steel would mean that you could build it much bigger than normal without making it impractical. I've seen greatswords that were taller than me from tip to pommel and had blades at the base as thick as my hand (with all my fingers together, anyway), but I'm not very tall and have fairly small hands, so, if Robb is a big fellow it might be a gargantuan sword after all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Its gonna be finished before the next book

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
And who has a better story than Mushroom?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its gonna be finished before the next book

Almost surely since it'll be one season and done.

edit:
Who am I kidding, it could run for 8 seasons and a movie and still beat Winds of Winter.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

every piece of asoiaf media in perpetuity will come out before wow.

unrelated: i played a bit of wow classic for nostalgia and there’s a ridiculous amount of asoiaf references in it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vichan posted:

And who has a better story than Mushroom?

Cheese and Blood have to be the stupidest pair of names in all of fiction.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

unrelated: i played a bit of wow classic for nostalgia and there’s a ridiculous amount of asoiaf references in it
Really? What are they? I haven't seen any. Not that I really know that much about the books.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Galvanik posted:

Really? What are they? I haven't seen any. Not that I really know that much about the books.

two off the top of my head are a Gnome named Tyrion that you help do some palace intrigue and murder a guy and the duskshire militia named the Night Watch

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Fhate posted:

Nope, Ice was used in battle. It was described as having a blade "wider than a man's hand" and being taller than Robb when he was an adolescent. Assuming that the width it's referring to is near the base of the blade and it tapers significantly, and the taller-than-Robb comment is including the handle, which on many greatswords is quite large, Ice is an unusually, but not obscenely large greatsword. The fact that it's made of a metal that's far lighter and tougher than even high quality steel would mean that you could build it much bigger than normal without making it impractical. I've seen greatswords that were taller than me from tip to pommel and had blades at the base as thick as my hand (with all my fingers together, anyway), but I'm not very tall and have fairly small hands, so, if Robb is a big fellow it might be a gargantuan sword after all.

Probably meant to chop horses from under their rider :black101:

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

In Stephen King's newest book, The Institute, he mentions GOT multiple times. He also names a small bit character Sophie Turner.

I am thinking he has a hard on for Sansa.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I...I may have overreached...

Solice Kirsk posted:

We can speculate all we want, but they'll never come out. I'll :toxx: myself right now that The Winds of Winter will come out before the second installment of the FF VII remake.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO we're getting a full run of a new spin-off series before WoW.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I...I may have overreached...

you overreached when you assumed wow would be coming out at all

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
the 2nd part of FF7 remake is also going to be coming sooner than your average sequel because splitting up the game is a cash grab and it's probably like 80% done already anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

the 2nd part of FF7 remake is also going to be coming sooner than your average sequel because splitting up the game is a cash grab and it's probably like 80% done already anyway.

You underestimate Square's ability to mismanage projects and the time it takes to make cinematic-style graphics even on well-managed projects

Plus they've slightly said they expect the next one to take nearly as long as the first, I believe

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol the second part of VIIR is as likely to come out as Winds tbh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

You underestimate Square's ability to mismanage projects and the time it takes to make cinematic-style graphics even on well-managed projects

Plus they've slightly said they expect the next one to take nearly as long as the first, I believe

Yep. If Tetsuya Nomura is involved with a project in any high level capacity, it will take forever to come out until someone from SE Corporate pries it out of his hands and forces someone who understands what a deadline is to finish it for him. He's kind of the anti-GRRM in that he actually does work, but then throws it all out in a panicked fit because he watched Les Miserables last night and now wants to make it a loving musical.

That was an actual thing that happened, by the way. Nomura threatened to rip FF15 up from the roots after it had been in development for nearly a decade at that point and turn it into a big budget musical. And within 6 months of him saying that publicly, he was fired and replaced by a dude who got 90% of the game done in a year and a half.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

esperterra posted:

note that they didn't even put "Part I" on the box art

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The box art is literally the only thing I've seen from that game that I kind of liked. I really wish they would have just remade the thing instead of reimagining it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TK-42-1 posted:

every piece of asoiaf media in perpetuity will come out before wow.

They did an amazing job of stealing from everywhere and making it feel funny and organic and cohesive. I'm pretty sure that WoW was the "best" game I ever played - it was like when I was a kid, I pictured the best most amazing video game... and WoW delivered what I saw in my head. World PvP needed some love, but I mean - they built an amazing loving game.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

kcroy posted:

They did an amazing job of stealing from everywhere and making it feel funny and organic and cohesive. I'm pretty sure that WoW was the "best" game I ever played - it was like when I was a kid, I pictured the best most amazing video game... and WoW delivered what I saw in my head. World PvP needed some love, but I mean - they built an amazing loving game.

yeah it was really amazing for the time. back then i had nothing better to do in the middle of the night after i got off work other than get high and grind so it worked out. nowadays its hilarious how time intensive it is for very little reward. the only real pleasure was just experiencing poo poo again for the first time in 15 years

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

esperterra posted:

I'll take that bet

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I could see the second part of the remake taking more time if only because the diversity of locales increases significantly. The relative nonlinearity is another tremendous item to factor in.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Chieves posted:

I could see the second part of the remake taking more time if only because the diversity of locales increases significantly. The relative nonlinearity is another tremendous item to factor in.

2nd part will end with Aeris death (don't remember how much of the original game is that)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ZZZorcerer posted:

2nd part will end with Aeris death (don't remember how much of the original game is that)

End of Disc 1.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I heard they were redoing FF7, but I assumed it would be released as one game. Ridiculous to think it's coming in 8 or more installments.

I also found this thanks to google.

Kind of curious to see how they handle the Bumble Bee Bathhouse now.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TK-42-1 posted:

yeah it was really amazing for the time. back then i had nothing better to do in the middle of the night after i got off work other than get high and grind so it worked out. nowadays its hilarious how time intensive it is for very little reward. the only real pleasure was just experiencing poo poo again for the first time in 15 years

yeah exactly. I also had some really good online friends. It was sort of an intense period of my life, and I got waaaaay to into it. I'm not into role-play, but maybe just a touch in terms of how I felt about my characters, and my emotional investment in the game. I tried playing again and it was like visiting your highschool in your 30s. Just sort of sad and lonely. All the teachers are gone or dead - and the one who is left clearly doesn't remember you. I mean why would he?

edit: I forgot something really cool. I was pretty hosed up one time - drunk and spun and whatever - and reactived my account with one of those scroll things. So I'm flailing around with my lvl 70 in the new xpac, and some one came up and started powering me through quests. Was really nice - and after like an hour he was like "hey this is XYZ - do you remember me? ( I lied and said I did. ) he said "I remember you from when I first started, you helped my char out a lot".

And that felt pretty awesome.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 30, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This is 100% a better ending than what we got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLGaeTrak_Q

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hadn't thought about ASoIaF in years and then found a copy of Fire and Blood at my library yesterday and now I'm 250 pages in.

It is happening to me again.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Fire and Blood is poo poo, and I say that as someone who liked Feast for Crows

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Fire and Blood is poo poo, and I say that as someone who liked Feast for Crows

Holy crap, that's too scary a sentence to read on a cold monday morning.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Feast for Crows is my favourite of the five books and I'm liking Fire and Blood just fine. :shrug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

God, I just learned that Meathouse Man exists:stonk:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Oh God, I remember stumbling upon that one in an anthology.

"Oh, cool! A zombie story by GRRM?"

:stare:

:stonklol:

:cripes:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

God, I just learned that Meathouse Man exists:stonk:

Yeah, GRRM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've kind of soured on Fire and Blood. I feel like I still like it mroe than this thread, but there's a bit too much pointless rape, too many interesting women characters get completely sidelined or die in childbirth (so many loving times) and not enough history in a book supposed to be an history.

I'm still positive overall, but dammit GRRM I've seen you do better before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Good news, guys. The Winds of poo poo of whatever the next book is called is just around the corner.

quote:

According to Business Times, the 70-year-old Martin hopes to finally finish the story and publish it by July 2020. There were earlier predictions that he has completed the story but is not putting it to the print because of Game of Thrones season 8. The veteran writer debunked the claims and added, "I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished* and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages."

* yes

Source: https://www.ibtimes.co.in/george-rr-martins-winds-winter-may-release-july-2020-805252

Bonus picture because never forget: