Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

Is a potential MV4 entirely the work of that colossal fuckstick Stephen Kinnock?

Given how it got through, probably an insurance marker for the Tories to go "oh we were just bluffing, here's a deal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh hey since people were asking before about the 1922 Committee, and there's usually a lot of confusion about it:

1922 Committee - backbenchers or all Tory MPs, basically the equivalent of the PLP (both have some technical stuff about frontbenchers' voting rights etc but still)

1922 Committee Executive - the leaders of that mob, a bunch of powerful people who hold sway over the party, separate from the leader and their cabinet

so think of it like the PLP and some PLP cabal that inserts itself between the leader and the party to push its own agenda. People don't always get which one's being talked about, mostly because the media never explains it and just conflates the two. So when Johnson was meeting "the 1922 Committee" today it sounds like he was in front of the whole party, since Amber Rudd was there, not meeting the executive in a little room

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So how was QT? Who ITT is 'taking one for the team' and watching it?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1177350820712652801
Nice.

Although meaningless of course.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Diet Crack posted:

Given how it got through, probably an insurance marker for the Tories to go "oh we were just bluffing, here's a deal"
Yeah Kinnock Jr made a stupid loving 'playing to the crowd' gesture and the Tories grabbed it with both hands and went "Nice, thanks, we'll have that!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kinnock the Lesser did indeed bungle that up very hilariously.

Be quite wonderful to see MV4 fail after May's not even the PM anymore lol

StarkingBarfish posted:

but only if people transitioning in the other direction are taking penisillin

Oh dang haven't seen that one before that is :discourse:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Is a potential MV4 entirely the work of that colossal fuckstick Stephen Kinnock?

It's difficult to see how it would pass.

The ERG would go loving ballistic for a start, so they wouldn't vote for it. Labour would be scenting power and would certainly whip against it. The only way it goes through is if 25 or so MPs who previously voted against a deal suddenly vote for it. I'm not sure that many have flipped.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Be interesting to see any over the next week or so though. Might also give a picture of how much voters are influenced by immediate events.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How I Save: The 28-year-old account manager spending cash on cocaine and croissants

Given that 55k equates to about £850 per week after tax the rent + insane spending is about equal to that. Is she really stuffing £250/week worth of coke up her nose because God loving drat I live in London and there are definitely people with thirsty noses about but that uh, seems like a lot.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

It's meaningless, but the sort of thing we want to see in the general election: lib dems bleeding off enough tory votes for Labour to get the fptp win

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Missed this:

Not now possible to have a General Election before October 31st according to Bercow:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-election-idUSKBN1WB1PY

quote:

SEPTEMBER 26, 2019 / 2:30 PM /

UK parliament speaker says election cannot happen before Oct. 31

LONDON (Reuters) - The speaker of Britain’s House of Commons John Bercow said on Thursday that, under existing rules, a national election could not be held before the country is due to leave the European Union at the end of October.

Labour lawmaker Richard Burgon asked Bercow whether it was correct that due to rules about the amount of time needed to arrange a national election, the earliest one could now take place is Nov. 5.

“I can confirm that my understanding of the electoral timetable under the existing statutory framework is the same as his,” Bercow said.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has twice asked parliament to approve holding an early election but opposition parties say they do not want to agree to one until the risk of a no-deal Brexit has been removed.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Missed this:

Not now possible to have a General Election before October 31st according to Bercow:

I think part of the risk is that by dissolving parliament for an election Boris could get out of being prime minister at the moment that the extension requests need to be made and there's no parliament to approve the request so this needs to continue until at least the 16(?) October for the EU summit and then potentially even up to the 31st and THEN an election can be safely called.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ms Adequate posted:

Kinnock the Lesser did indeed bungle that up very hilariously.

all kinnocks are equally poo poo

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

It's meaningless, but the sort of thing we want to see in the general election: lib dems bleeding off enough tory votes for Labour to get the fptp win

It would be very encouraging if Labour start to close the poll gap with the Tories in the next few days/weeks.

We're basically in an election campaign right now, there's more of a focus than usual on Corbyn and Labour, but they aren't benefiting from any of the media rules. So if we can start to cut through now it would be a good sign for the campaign itself.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jabby posted:

It would be very encouraging if Labour start to close the poll gap with the Tories in the next few days/weeks.

We're basically in an election campaign right now, there's more of a focus than usual on Corbyn and Labour, but they aren't benefiting from any of the media rules. So if we can start to cut through now it would be a good sign for the campaign itself.

Labour are already ahead depending on which polls you look at though.

E: Actually no, but Comres' latest polling has Con 27 Lab 27 Lib 20.

EE: And lol Opinium has loving Con 37 Lab 22 Lib 17.

How can anybody look at the polling and see a loving 15% disagreement between two polling companies for the two main parties and not call the whole thing a joke?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 27, 2019

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tsaedje posted:

Every now and then one of the ways our voting system is stupid counters another way our voting system is stupid, like a complex machine built to do evil that sometimes damages itself so badly it does a good thing by accident. The cosmic ballet goes on

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Missed this:

If you watch the clip (14:08 on parliamentlive.tv) he repeatedly emphasised "under the existing statutory framework" and someone in the background even said "Interesting!"

Wonder if the framework could be changed somehow?

Mebh fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 27, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

WhatEvil posted:

Labour are already ahead depending on which polls you look at though.

E: Actually no, but Comres' latest polling has Con 27 Lab 27 Lib 20.

EE: And lol Opinium has loving Con 37 Lab 22 Lib 17.

How can anybody look at the polling and see a loving 15% disagreement between two polling companies for the two main parties and not call the whole thing a joke?

https://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/

Filter by Opinium and you can see how much it swings over a year

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Evening night crew!

Podcast is currently being edited, should be up within the next couple of hours :)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

namesake posted:

I think part of the risk is that by dissolving parliament for an election Boris could get out of being prime minister at the moment that the extension requests need to be made and there's no parliament to approve the request so this needs to continue until at least the 16(?) October for the EU summit and then potentially even up to the 31st and THEN an election can be safely called.

As I see it, the Queen invites someone to be Prime Minister and government ministers are crown appointments. So if there's no parliament, she could still do that, and if parliament isn't sitting, ministers could still be selected to form a government. So if Johnson did do that, she could call someone instantly (Oh, Jeremy Corbyn, perhaps - would he still be Leader of the Opposition? Is that a formal crown thing too?). Am sure there must be a secret cabal of civil servants working on a plan for this scenario if it doesn't already exist.
Obviously, I might be entirely wrong! I have no formal education in government processes!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^I think the monarch selecting prime ministers like that would just generate more constitutional issues than already exist.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

https://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/

Filter by Opinium and you can see how much it swings over a year

Argh, frustrating patterns in that graph - Tories successfully beating back the Brexit Party, Labour not beating back the Lib Dems.

Really need to activate non-voters and present a decent vision of the future this election or it's going to be grim.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

The PM is still PM even if Parliament is dissolved for an election. So calling one now wouldn't get him out of obeying the Benn act.

The reason Labour won't do it is a) no-one entirely trusts he doesn't have some scheme up his sleeve that would require Parliament to step in again, and b) it's politically damaging to force him to request the extension so delaying benefits them.

namesake posted:

Argh, frustrating patterns in that graph - Tories successfully beating back the Brexit Party, Labour not beating back the Lib Dems.

Really need to activate non-voters and present a decent vision of the future this election or it's going to be grim.

A lot of the Lib Dem bounce is leftover from the EU elections. When the campaign starts Labour really need to push that it's Corbyn or Johnson, Referendum or No Deal. Hopefully that should make a chunk of those voters come back.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

namesake posted:

^^^I think the monarch selecting prime ministers like that would just generate more constitutional issues than already exist.

I'm still convinced we're in with a shot at a labour majority (definitely not a bority majority)

The Lib Dem's will hoover soft tories, the Brexit party will eviscerate their vote when Joris fails to leave on Oct 31st and the rest is the joys of FPTP.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

namesake posted:

That graph is horribly skewed by including plainly bonkers polls. Opinium consistently have tories+brexit+ukip at 50% of the vote

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My ideal set up would be a labour majority in the high 30's.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1177337769779257346
This combined with the John Major story is interesting.

Boris could use the Civil Contingencies Act to suspend the Benn act via an 'order of council' (i.e with just ministers) if he can show there is an imminent emergency (with a significant threat to life or property) that suspending the Benn act will help mitigate.

Such as, one assumes, impending riots and civil unrest that can only be prevented by leaving the EU on October 31st.

Now obviously this is bullshit, but they could definitely argue in court that what qualifies as an emergency and how to mitigate it should be left up to government. They'd probably lose, and I think Parliament can still quash these orders if it's sitting, but it's definitely one direction this could be heading.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1177337769779257346
This combined with the John Major story is interesting.

Boris could use the Civil Contingencies Act to suspend the Benn act via an 'order of council' (i.e with just ministers) if he can show there is an imminent emergency (with a significant threat to life or property) that suspending the Benn act will help mitigate.

Such as, one assumes, impending riots and civil unrest that can only be prevented by leaving the EU on October 31st.

Now obviously this is bullshit, but they could definitely argue in court that what qualifies as an emergency and how to mitigate it should be left up to government. They'd probably lose, and I think Parliament can still quash these orders if it's sitting, but it's definitely one direction this could be heading.

Hoooooo boy can't wait for Joris and Dom Cummies to be actively asking for people to riot so they have a justificaiton for using tricks like this.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

Hoooooo boy can't wait for Joris and Dom Cummies to be actively asking for people to riot so they have a justificaiton for using tricks like this.

Times like this, I'm glad I live in a sleepy backwater where even the boy racers squealing around the roads late at night apologize when taken to task on Facebook!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the obvious solution is to threaten riots if we do leave on october 31st?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

Surely the obvious solution is to threaten riots if we do leave on october 31st?

No, you see, it's all a very elaborate plan, and furthermore,

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Of course now that Parliament is aware of this particular angle, they could do something like amend the Benn act to include a clause saying the Civil Contingencies Act does not apply to it. Which I think would work, because new legislation can override any and all past legislation on the principle that parliament cannot bind itself.

End of the day we're into legislative speed-chess, and it's getting loving confusing. God only knows what mischief Labour is planning while the Tories are away at conference. Could we see full communism now?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

jabby posted:

Of course now that Parliament is aware of this particular angle, they could do something like amend the Benn act to include a clause saying the Civil Contingencies Act does not apply to it. Which I think would work, because new legislation can override any and all past legislation on the principle that parliament cannot bind itself.

End of the day we're into legislative speed-chess, and it's getting loving confusing. God only knows what mischief Labour is planning while the Tories are away at conference. Could we see full communism now?

Well, let's be cautious before we say too much. One side's playing speed-chess, the other side is playing speed-smear-poo poo-on-thineself-and-threaten-the-enemy-with-a-hug.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1177348764513775616?s=19

Question from audience member who isn't a tory Councillor why do you ask

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Do they want to make that question a little more biased, it could be a little too ambiguous to get the point across?

Taxation is not theft, and more than that inequality is both morally wrong and deeply corrosive to the well being of society at large. gently caress your private property rights.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

"Greed is one of the cardinal sins. What causes Tories to indulge in it every day?"

"Charity is a key theological virtue, why do you have to be compelled to act in a charitable manner?"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

jabby posted:

The issue is that the rules are not properly defined and one side doesn't really give a poo poo in many ways. Since that is a given then trying to craft legislation with no potential gotchas is like trying to craft a flawless wish to correctly bind a malevolent Djinn.

In this particular set of circumstances you're better off tabling a bill which is easy to explain to everyone, covers off the major loopholes, and then pass it with a big majority. That's the stuff that causes Johnson's later weaseling to backfire so spectacularly when it is clear to all but the most partisan hacks that what he is doing is using thin pretenses to subvert a clear mandate to do the opposite.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

AceOfFlames posted:

Are you a robot

Lord Stimperor posted:

Bowsette costume is a requirement

And now I'm picturing Bowsette in tinfoil-coated cardboard armor.

This thread is cursed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Great stuff there, looking forward to the fair-balance counter question of "A failed banker who ran Deutsche into the ground so badly it has not recovered in a decade will never be a capable Chancellor of the Exchequer. Do you dispute this?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

endlessmonotony posted:

This thread is cursed.

I spent months working on this cosplay and you just... posted and spoiled the surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

endlessmonotony posted:

This thread is cursed.

Hi, welcome to the uk politics megathread