Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

inthesto posted:

As much as this would make my day, I still remember when Riot hired a guy to handle Dominion balance issues and he admitted that he played the mode maybe once per week.

this is not rocket surgery. maybe riot can not reliably balance dominion as an existing game mode. maybe riot is afraid of queue cannibalism - fine, rotating game mode dominion and do not worry about it. hunt of the blood moon loving sucks, everyone hates it, and it is dead on arrival because nobody wants to play it, and yet it gets more airtime than dominion which had a very devoted fanbase that hosted tournaments and created a metagame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just looked up Hunt of the Blood Moon (I stopped playing this game about six or seven years ago and only picked it back up to mess around in TFT), and wow. It sounds like Riot said "Well the reason why Dominion failed was because it was on a different map, so let's just take all those changes and superficially paste them onto Summoner's Rift"

Ironically, a large part of what made Dominion fun for me was that Riot had no understanding of what made it fun

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

inthesto posted:

I just looked up Hunt of the Blood Moon (I stopped playing this game about six or seven years ago and only picked it back up to mess around in TFT), and wow. It sounds like Riot said "Well the reason why Dominion failed was because it was on a different map, so let's just take all those changes and superficially paste them onto Summoner's Rift"

Ironically, a large part of what made Dominion fun for me was that Riot had no understanding of what made it fun

Riot has no understanding what makes ANY part of their game fun

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I can understand not wanting to devote constant attention to it but dominion could definitely be brought back at least as a rotating game mode

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
just wait until they name their fighting game "League of Legends: Dominion" to really drive the nail into the coffin

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Riot has no understanding what makes ANY part of their game fun

wow, they're the luckiest game devs ever!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You joke but they kind of are, the original game looked and played like trash.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5THbQ6zQM4

Sexpansion posted:

just wait until they name their fighting game "League of Legends: Dominion" to really drive the nail into the coffin

i am hype for this fighting game but apparently riot was trying to get the skullgirls lead designer for their game, and if they are looking for a lead designer i can not imagine this game is anywhere near complete

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The announcement at EVO was bereft of real details beyond, "We're making a fighting game for Riot," so I'd imagine it's not gonna see the light of day before 2021.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Invalid Validation posted:

and the luck kept rolling for ten straight years!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

rabidsquid posted:

"it's like dota but it doesn't punch you in the balls as much" is not a high bar for a game to clear

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't know, "Dota but not poo poo" seems like a solid design philosophy.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
riot, valve, blizzard... all really just the beneficiaries of incredible kismet-like luck, if you think about it...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I know, like all riot game hits such as League, TFT, and ....

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Monathin posted:

part of what makes aram steady is the fact that its literally half the time commitment of any other mode so if you just wanna throw down and not gove a single gently caress and also don't wanna spent loving three hours chasing your first win of the day because [insert role you are not playing here] shat the loving bed again its actually a pretty fun casual mode

Yeah plus you get to play all different kinds of champions and between the rerolls and trading I almost never ending up with a pick that makes me want to not play.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sometimes ARAM can be annoying too, not necessarily cause the mode itself. Somedays my rank games are basically ARAM so I don't want to play more actual ARAM.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every game is aram if ur brave enough

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

while this may not be league of legends content, i personally will allow it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One last Dominion note is that balancing Dominion actually wasn't that hard. Riot just wasn't willing to make changes specific to Dominion for years because ???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inthesto posted:

One last Dominion note is that balancing Dominion actually wasn't that hard. Riot just wasn't willing to make changes specific to Dominion for years because ???

resources that could be better spent on

uh

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

resources that could be better spent on

uh

Ahri skins

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

inthesto posted:

yeah it doesn't need to be perfectly balanced either, just some corrections made to any extreme outliers

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So, do the event passes actually give prestige points for doing things?

The only listed things on the Worlds event pass is the 25 points for completing all the missions and 100 points if you collect 2200 orbs which seems like it would take forever. Maybe that's the point?

I was kind of thinking about grabbing it, as I'd like to get the MF prestige skin because I'm a sucker you see and the wording seems to be that you'd need 100 points to get her.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
AFAIK, two of the three perma-banned characters (KZ and Jayce) eventually got tuned down to not be auto-win on Dominion any more. Of course, there was no way of fixing Kassadin short of removing his ult, so there wasn't really anything to be done there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Maybe that's the point?

More or less. It's meant to incentivize you to open up your wallet and buy some bundles to make up for the deficit. With that said, you can generally get to the 2200 point requirement if that's the only thing you're focused on getting, if you play a reasonable amount of games every day with the pass bonuses, and start collecting tokens at the beginning of the event.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inthesto posted:

AFAIK, two of the three perma-banned characters (KZ and Jayce) eventually got tuned down to not be auto-win on Dominion any more. Of course, there was no way of fixing Kassadin short of removing his ult, so there wasn't really anything to be done there.
you could just disable him in the mode.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
not sure how I feel about this new game launcher

e: lol it keeps crashing

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Is it possible to get 100 prestige points without paying money? I want prestige MF but I'm never going another cent to Riot

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

The Mash posted:

Is it possible to get 100 prestige points without paying money? I want prestige MF but I'm never going another cent to Riot

Nope

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Kind of excited about getting this, I'm way too into this game

I really need to tamp down my enjoyment so maybe I'll switch to jungle again

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've just started playing chow, and while lots of fun his ult meter on the health bar seems to be.... unreliable? Is it just bad luck people are getting health back the moment I chomp or is this a known bug?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Based on playing any champ with an execute, I’d say it’s bad luck/unfortunate timing. You’ll especially notice it on Pyke, because he has delay on his ult.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I've just started playing chow, and while lots of fun his ult meter on the health bar seems to be.... unreliable? Is it just bad luck people are getting health back the moment I chomp or is this a known bug?

The former. There's a lot of sources of incremental healing in the game (Conqueror, Taste of Blood, Grasp, Time Warp Tonic, lifesteal, passives, innate regen, pots, etc.) that can push them above the execute line. It's best to always have them at least a little below the threshold instead of risking it by trying to eat them directly on the line.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I actually really hate the indicators for execution because it can give you a false sense of certainty and as someone who use to play lots of AP chogath mid back in the day after a few games you get a sense for it. You can tell how much hp on which champs will execute. That always felt more rewarding.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chos almost unplayable without the indicators because of how hp bars change graphically as people get more health

how am i supposed to know which of the 37 ticks singed has is the one where he'll die if i r him

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

I actually really hate the indicators for execution because it can give you a false sense of certainty and as someone who use to play lots of AP chogath mid back in the day after a few games you get a sense for it. You can tell how much hp on which champs will execute. That always felt more rewarding.

what? why ..? indicators are totally fine, not everyone needs to learn by clicking enemy champions and making a mental note on what hp bars look like for given health values. just because the game we learned was harder does not mean usability and qol improvements cheapen the experience

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Prestige skins can't go away soon enough - I'm ssick of this color scheme already.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Endorph posted:

chos almost unplayable without the indicators because of how hp bars change graphically as people get more health

how am i supposed to know which of the 37 ticks singed has is the one where he'll die if i r him

Cho's always had the marks around the enemy's feet indicating when they were in feast range, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Boxman posted:

Cho's always had the marks around the enemy's feet indicating when they were in feast range, though, right?

Wait what? I've not noticed this.

The visual cues in this game loving suck. Even new trynds cues I often struggle to see even with how improved they are over what they used to be.