Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

steinrokkan posted:

lol, explain in what way the crt version is enhanced

it just looks like you are looking at the former picture, but with cataracts

It's not that it's enhanced, it's just important to recognize that the art mastering for a lot of these games took that inherent shittiness into account during design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only piece of fallout dlc I played was mothership zeta and it was Awful.

oh yeah don't do that

That's probably the worst of all of them

Like, at least Dead Money had an idea

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lol if you don't like blasting space UFO extraterrestrial aliens with a LASER as an idea, as the DLC, and in IRL life.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1177392945458286595
So it looks like they're going to release some sort of stand alone successor to the factions multiplayer. Can't help but be a little cynical about the motivation for the decision.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 27, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

lurker2006 posted:

Modern campaigns need to take a step back from the current obsession with player convenience and comfort(strictly in terms of the actual gameplay, not the payment models). We're basically at a point now where players are no longer allowed to get lost or confused, and cannot be expected to retain any information that isn't part of an omniscient UI. Replaying the thief games for the first time in a decade a couple months ago really put it into perspective, "Here's a rough map of the interior to get you started but you'll actually have to rely on your own sense of navigation a little". That sort of expectation is ludicrous outside a select few niche titles and Souls.

Didn't achievements teach devs that almost nobody finishes games anymore, and very few even make it more than a handful of hours into any one game? It's why every AAA-game intro is a super-slick playable cutscene and every final boss is a pile of lazy bullshit with a short lame cutscene at the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Didn't achievements teach devs that almost nobody finishes games anymore, and very few even make it more than a handful of hours into any one game? It's why every AAA-game intro is a super-slick playable cutscene and every final boss is a pile of lazy bullshit with a short lame cutscene at the end.

Depends on the game, but yeah. Getting 40% of your players to finish a game is considered a very, very good completion rate.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The NES had better graphcis than the PS4, at least in terms of how much I enjoy looking at them.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lurker2006 posted:

Modern campaigns need to take a step back from the current obsession with player convenience and comfort(strictly in terms of the actual gameplay, not the payment models). We're basically at a point now where players are no longer allowed to get lost or confused, and cannot be expected to retain any information that isn't part of an omniscient UI. Replaying the thief games for the first time in a decade a couple months ago really put it into perspective, "Here's a rough map of the interior to get you started but you'll actually have to rely on your own sense of navigation a little". That sort of expectation is ludicrous outside a select few niche titles and Souls.
Ubisoft has been doing that lately with Odyssey and Breakpoint's unguided modes. Here's some landmarks, go find your way

Now if they only made smaller maps. Fuckhuge maps just become a blur as you zip through, tighter maps with slower max travel speed make you way more immersed in the world

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lurker2006 posted:

if you play ff15 with the UI off you get this experience, it's pretty great. the designers put a huge amount of effort into making the dungeons mazey and dungeony but readable with landmarks if you're paying attention

if you play ff15 with the UI on you get punished by a couple dungeons that mess with the minimap because they're made up of tons of tiny sub-floors with rooms that only connect above and below themselves lol

Ruffian Price posted:

Ubisoft has been doing that lately with Odyssey and Breakpoint's unguided modes. Here's some landmarks, go find your way

Now if they only made smaller maps. Fuckhuge maps just become a blur as you zip through, tighter maps with slower max travel speed make you way more immersed in the world

florence in ac2 was a perfectly sized map, but of course the story couldn't be contained to just the one city and all the other areas sucked a lot

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 27, 2019

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pocket Billiards posted:

The story was pretty shite I thought. Hard cringe on all the dialogue from me.

the story was great because all the characters who look and talk like they belong in a gentle indie game about learning it’s ok for boys to cry end up suffering horribly and being emotionally destroyed as a result of their hubris and naive selfishness

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

In AssCreed: Rogue you didnt need a map to find the enemies' camps, you coul just go to to places with black smoke.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I would pay New Game Money for a Switch port of Just Cause 2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lurker2006 posted:

https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1177392945458286595
So it looks like they're going to release some sort of stand alone successor to the factions multiplayer. Can't help but be a little cynical about the motivation for the decision.

On the one hand I'm disappointed.

On the other, Factions is such a cool mode it could for sure support a standalone game. I just hope it isn't an MTX festival. Hopefully Naughty Dog's first-party status tempers that a bit (just because first-party titles have other ways they generate additional revenue for their publisher, like system sales).

Though Naughty Dog hasn't been shy about monetizing their multiplayer modes in the past, so who knows.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

steinrokkan posted:

Remember when Switch was supposed to be the hot new console that would return Nintendo to the top

lol

yeah i remember, i bought a bunch of nintendo stock

silly me, it's only doubled in value since early 2017

lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

yeah i remember, i bought a bunch of nintendo stock

silly me, it's only doubled in value since early 2017

lol

no one cares

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

just funny to see people like "lol the switch is dying" when it literally set sales records, like holy poo poo what planet are you console warriors on

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Nintendo Switch is bad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

that is an exceptionally unpopular opinion, yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bradzilla posted:

The Nintendo Switch is bad.

you have chosen the correct thread for this take, if nothing else

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

durrrrrrr

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Love them or hate them, Nintendo is the only one still trying wacky poo poo that ends up being fun as hell, while MS/Sony are literally just upgrading their hardware for better graphics

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Love them or hate them, Nintendo is the only one still trying wacky poo poo that ends up being fun as hell, while MS/Sony are literally just upgrading their hardware for better graphics

What exactly is wacky about a console that can be played handheld or on a TV and is populated nearly exclusively by ports

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bradzilla posted:

What exactly is wacky about a console that can be played handheld or on a TV and is populated nearly exclusively by ports

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't wait to play a succession of games designed for, and almost certainly better on, other platforms... on a bus.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I mean I guess it sucks if you buy Nintendo consoles to play non-Nintendo games

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I actually have no strong opinion on the switch.

My only experience ever playing one was when a friend brought it over when the new Smash Bros came out and like six or seven of us were playing.

My review of Switch Smash: game's alright but man these controllers are hot loving garbage,

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Correction: just remembered I played the Mario Kart on it too. It was pretty good and I liked it. The controllers were not rear end for that game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

internet celebrity posted:

I suspect some people who bought Switch were older than ten years old.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

internet celebrity posted:

Isn't "all the good indie games on a portable system" one of the system's biggest selling points?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

My only experience ever playing one was when a friend brought it over when the new Smash Bros came out and like six or seven of us were playing.

My review of Switch Smash: game's alright but man these controllers are hot loving garbage,

The actual execution of the controllers leaves a lot to be desired, but I appreciate the concept behind them.

like nobody actually plays the Switch like this, but it was a cool idea at least, and there are some pretty interesting uses (Labo is actually a ton of fun)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
My hot, unpopular take is that playing games on the go is stupid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah with Switch Smash you really want either a Pro Controller or a Gamecube controller. Otherwise it just kinda feels lovely to play

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The actual execution of the controllers leaves a lot to be desired, but I appreciate the concept behind them.

like nobody actually plays the Switch like this, but it was a cool idea at least, and there are some pretty interesting uses (Labo is actually a ton of fun)

i've totally played the switch like that, set up on a table outside to play mario kart with some geezers. wine moms and grandmoms will get vicious over some karting.

related: the drive-assist stuff for mario kart is one of nintendo's best innovations because it lets you just toss someone a controller and show them which button "go" is and let them play. there's even a tilt-to-turn feature so people who think videogames work like they do in overacted commercials can have fun!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

i've totally played the switch like that, set up on a table outside to play mario kart with some geezers. wine moms and grandmoms will get vicious over some karting.

related: the drive-assist stuff for mario kart is one of nintendo's best innovations because it lets you just toss someone a controller and show them which button "go" is and let them play. there's even a tilt-to-turn feature so people who think videogames work like they do in overacted commercials can have fun!

That's pretty cool, I think it's neat to hear that people are actually using it that way!

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Switch bad? But untitled goose game is good? Honk.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nintendo exclusivity is the only reason I can't play goose game on my Android phone. gently caress a switch

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
:goose:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's great when you have a four year old who can't get her hand around a normal sized controller but wants to "play Luigi today"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Here's the list of the great games on switch

Binding of Isaac
Rocket League
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Diablo 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003