Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
wotc has done a great job of printing overpowered cards in set after set for the past year so im excited to find out whats comin up next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

guess im gonna have to get used to rankles animation huh

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What makes AA busted?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

fadam posted:

What makes AA busted?

If I had to guess it's that it's a one mana color fixer that draws a card and counts as an artifact for synergies, but I don't really play modern due to money reasons.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

fadam posted:

What makes AA busted?

you can fetch basics and have perfect mana and also it cantrips

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fadam posted:

What makes AA busted?

It's a one mana artifact that draws a card when it enters play. In Pauper before Astrolabe, Prophetic Prism was the best card by a mile in Tron, and was the best card by a decent amount in the Boros Monarch and other Glint Hawk/Kor Skyfisher decks. Astrolabe is a Prism that costs 1 mana. Imagine if they printed a one-mana version of the best two-mana play from any Modern deck, and you can see how that could be slightly warping.

In Modern it works insanely well with Urza and Paradoxical Outcome.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I’m a huge fan of this esper doom foretold deck that I saw on twitter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

that is so many rare wildcards, hopefully there's some mythics that are upgrades

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mezzanon posted:

I've been playing this all day, it's legit

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

that is so many rare wildcards, hopefully there's some mythics that are upgrades

Yeah I think I traded in 11 wildcards after opening two of the eldrazi ended rares I needed in a sealed I had gems for. But I have some extras

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I've been playing this all day, it's legit

Yeah I’m really bad at the deck, but it’s incredibly fun to play.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
danse of the manse? more like dance of yo mans

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mezzanon posted:

This looks like it would be annoying as hell to play against.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah I think I traded in 11 wildcards after opening two of the eldrazi ended rares I needed in a sealed I had gems for. But I have some extras

Yeah I’m really bad at the deck, but it’s incredibly fun to play.

This deck looks like loving miserable to play against.

edit: I'm just hoping a Simic Flash deck still works in this standard, or is every deck just going to be "jam 4 Teferis and see what happens"

I'm heading to my first prerelease of 2 later today so I can report how poo poo I am at sealed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

edit: I'm just hoping a Simic Flash deck still works in this standard, or is every deck just going to be "jam 4 Teferis and see what happens"

I'm heading to my first prerelease of 2 later today so I can report how poo poo I am at sealed.

At least one deck will be "Wishclaw Talisman for Teferi turn 4, Teferi Wishclaw and see what happens"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Thursday night prereleases?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Mezzanon posted:

What's the sideboard?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

I think they're in Taiwan Chinese Taipei.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PJOmega posted:

It's already Friday on the other side of the international date line.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Here's my first draft of temur elementals

2 Mountain (ROE) 242
5 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
3 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
3 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
3 Fires of Invention (ELD) 125
2 Island (ANA) 62
3 Escape to the Wilds (ELD) 189
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Omnath, Locus of the Roil (M20) 216
2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
3 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
4 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
2 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191

3 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
2 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
3 Fry (M20) 140
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108

Fires of Invention is strong as hell when your turn 5 is "free nissa, hydroid krasis for 6" or "Cavalier of Thorns, grab a land, big chandra" or Escape to the Wilds for free into something nasty. Turn 2 ramp into turn 3 Fires + Risen Reef is also very good. The ramp is in there because I have a lot of 5 and 6 drops, and I'm considering dropping the goose for Arboreal Grazer because of how important getting 5 lands is. Another cool thing is that Fires of Invention fixes your mana for you, which is nice.

I'm not sure about the Domri's, they used to be Okos just to combo with the goose and pop out food to stabilize vs mono-red. Domri might be more useful in the simic flash matchup.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GoutPatrol posted:

Simic flash might actually be better now between brazen borrower and wildborn preserver. Three color mana is a lot harder now but I think there will still be good esper and bant decks just because the payoff is so high. Teferi will still be around because it’s a bonkers card but you shouldn’t see it every other game now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A Moose posted:

23 lands is not enough. You're going to need 26, maybe 27, because if you drop Fires and then blank on land #5 for a turn or two while you have a bunch of Cavaliers and planeswalkers rotting in your hand it's really bad.

I don't know how the Adventure rules work - can you cast the sorcery part of Beanstalk Giant for free with Fires if you have 3 lands in play?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PJOmega posted:

I live in TaiwanTaiwan,Province of China Chinese Taipei, I'm going to a 3 PM (or 3 AM EST, nice 12 hour time differential) prerelease. The ones on Friday are 3 rounds, Sat/Sun 4. So Friday afternoon sealed, Friday night Cube with me and the boys (because my other non-Chinese reading friends don't like doing prereleases in all-Chinese cards) and then another early Saturday afternoon. I'll I will be very burned out for doing the same thing on Arena on Sunday.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Hellsau posted:

I don't know how the Adventure rules work - can you cast the sorcery part of Beanstalk Giant for free with Fires if you have 3 lands in play?

Yes! It's a 3 mana spell.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

I think Simic Flash looks pretty great going forward to be honest. Brazen Borrower is flat out amazing and Once Upon A Time help smooth out draws a bunch. I'm looking at building something like this:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A Moose posted:

2 Mountain (ROE) 242
5 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
3 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
3 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
3 Fires of Invention (ELD) 125
2 Island (ANA) 62
3 Escape to the Wilds (ELD) 189
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Omnath, Locus of the Roil (M20) 216
2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
3 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
4 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
2 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191

3 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
2 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
3 Fry (M20) 140
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108

Fires of Invention is strong as hell when your turn 5 is "free nissa, hydroid krasis for 6" or "Cavalier of Thorns, grab a land, big chandra" or Escape to the Wilds for free into something nasty. Turn 2 ramp into turn 3 Fires + Risen Reef is also very good. The ramp is in there because I have a lot of 5 and 6 drops, and I'm considering dropping the goose for Arboreal Grazer because of how important getting 5 lands is. Another cool thing is that Fires of Invention fixes your mana for you, which is nice.

I'm not sure about the Domri's, they used to be Okos just to combo with the goose and pop out food to stabilize vs mono-red. Domri might be more useful in the simic flash matchup.

fires is awful, it makes it so your mana dorks and krasis do not function as cards. Escape to the Wilds also seems bad when you could just be maxing out on krasis instead, or any other of the u/g ramp payoff that actually affect the board.

i had a similar idea but with Oko and The Great Henge. Oko is insane, any u/g deck should probably be starting out with 4x goose 4x Oko.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

80s James Hetfield posted:

What's the sideboard?

There isn't a provided sideboard, but have a look at this https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2293421#arena thanks to Bryan Gottlieb.

Doom fortold + wishclaw talisman is pretty great, I've had many a player try to get cute, use the talisman on their turn with the doom trigger on the stack, pass me back the tailsman, and then having the doom trigger and make them discard the card they searched for.

:v:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jabor posted:

It's already Friday on the other side of the international date line.

Sorry, as an American I automatically assume the rest of the world is naught but a figment of someone else's imagination.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kurtofan posted:

ayula was deposed in the bear revolution

Is Ayula even a real bear? Who here has heard of a bear that is born from a tree and raised on sap? Sounds like some kind of infiltrator.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I've been waiting on Treasure Chest prices on MTGO to go back to 2.4 tix or more before I sold any. I had 803 chests. I managed to sell 516 chests at 2.4 tix before crashing the market - Goatbots went from buying at 2.4 and selling at 2.44 to buying at 2.36 and selling at 2.4.

lol i won so much with pauper tron that i'm fuckin' mansa musa

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

fires is awful, it makes it so your mana dorks and krasis do not function as cards. Escape to the Wilds also seems bad when you could just be maxing out on krasis instead, or any other of the u/g ramp payoff that actually affect the board.

i had a similar idea but with Oko and The Great Henge. Oko is insane, any u/g deck should probably be starting out with 4x goose 4x Oko.

Mana dorks sure, but the whole point of fires is that you get to play two high-cost cards a turn (one through fires and one normally), so Krasis is still A+.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

Mana dorks sure, but the whole point of fires is that you get to play two high-cost cards a turn (one through fires and one normally), so Krasis is still A+.

with fires in play you can only cast krasis for 0 https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=473087

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You can still pay mana if you want. It's just less efficient than playing Cavalier of Flames, another beefy 5 drop, and then activating Cavalier and smashing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

It literally says the exact opposite of that lmao

quote:

You may choose to pay the mana cost or an alternative cost for spells you cast, even if their converted mana cost is less than or equal to the number of lands you control.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
after carefully re-reading the card, i realize the error of my ways and would like to apologize.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Simic flash looks even better than it was before

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

after carefully re-reading the card, i realize the error of my ways and would like to apologize.

Wait am I still on the sa forums?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wait am I still on the sa forums?

Yes, but you're in the thread where it's understood that none of us have ever read a Yu-Gi-Oh card or a thread title.

This is the Yu-Gi-Oh thread right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've never really played yugioh but every time anyone links a yugioh card it's always 20 lines of point 4 font so I assume no one else has read any yugioh cards either

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

I've never really played yugioh but every time anyone links a yugioh card it's always 20 lines of point 4 font so I assume no one else has read any yugioh cards either

also they frequently errata cards so their actual function might have nothing to do with the printed text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

also they frequently errata cards so their actual function might have nothing to do with the printed text

I'm having flashbacks to Dragon Ball Z.