Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So this isnt a joke, does anyone else have a "he looks like hes on LSD or psilocybin" vibe? I cant put my finger on it but jesus the main players in this thing have this general detached from reality vibe that is really sketching me out.

Ya i know they are all just stupid but jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucania
May 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you think the other world leaders ever laugh about Trump together in private?

Didn't they do it in public last year? His UN speech was met with laughter at one point.

Lucania fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 27, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

85% of Republicans being against impeachment is a pretty clear message for them not to remove, though. Polls like this aren't promising if the goal is actually removal, although it's at least a bit heartening that Republican support isn't totally static.

Was this poll done before, after or during the release of the transcript?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

cr0y posted:

So this isnt a joke, does anyone else have a "he looks like hes on LSD or psilocybin" vibe? I cant put my finger on it but jesus the main players in this thing have this general detached from reality vibe that is really sketching me out.

Early stage Alzheimers. If you've been around it you can see the signs and little ticks / issues he has.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

he will 100% be holding a rally

He is the new Ringling Bros.

Olde Man Trump's Wandering CHUDathon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I was at the climate strike last week and it was truly inspiring to see kids so fired up and active about it. Like this generation is going to be unbelievably good if they're getting forged in the fires of activism before they're even in highschool.

Unfortunately, it's too late.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

Trump didn't have any leverage there. Kennedy basically told them he'd only retire if the white house picked someone on a short list he gave them and the white house said ok..... we'll pick Kavanaugh.

There was speculation he might double-cross Kennedy after he announced his retirement, but they didn't.

This veers a little bit into speculation territory but I find it plausible that Trump sat each one of the short list down and asked them for loyalty or some other benefit...and Kav bring the absolute shitbird that he is, someone who’s never faced the consequences of his actions, agreed to whatever Trump was demanding.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Rudy's Al Gore impression is the best thing I've ever seen

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

he will 100% be holding a rally

I'm still interested in how the chuds react if Trump loses after they have a month to process his defeat. No one is faster to turn in politics than Republicans against a losing candidate. Hell, they even don't really like GWB anymore.

The true cultists who never voted until Trump showed up might attend one last rally, but the Republicans who supported Trump are going to turn real fast when Trump has the stench of loser on him and its time to support the next winner to deliver those all-important, delicious tax cuts.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Early stage Alzheimers. If you've been around it you can see the signs and little ticks / issues he has.

Ya this is probably it.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Kavanaugh was picked because of what he had written about indicting a President and Mueller was still working. That's it, it doesn't go any deeper than that because Trump has never been able to look further beyond the current news cycle.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

theflyingorc posted:

Rudy's Al Gore impression is the best thing I've ever seen

SNL writers can just gently caress off and party all Friday night, this week's show writes itself.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

Was this poll done before, after or during the release of the transcript?

The polls that came out so far were in the field too early. We'll know more in the weekend polling.

As far as 10% being low, if it gets up to 20%, that would be extremely high. Forget Nixon, that is a different world. In this world you always get about 95% of your party on everything, with the other 5% probably lying to the pollster about their party to screw with them.

A world where 20% of the GOP thinks Trump should have been removed from office is horrific for the GOP. They have no choice but to continue to kneel to their base or they get primaried, and then its a bad uphill climb to November if those 20% say gently caress this and stay home. (Utah is still in the 1970's, so they are a bit different)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

"Reality vibe" tax for new page:

Yep, no joke.

Edit: there's more, and it's always worse.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 27, 2019

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Rabble posted:

This veers a little bit into speculation territory but I find it plausible that Trump sat each one of the short list down and asked them for loyalty or some other benefit...and Kav bring the absolute shitbird that he is, someone who’s never faced the consequences of his actions, agreed to whatever Trump was demanding.

I mean, is there even a point to asking for loyalty from a SCOTUS nominee in general? If he/she lies, what is the president going to do, fire them?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Zophar posted:

Kavanaugh was picked because of what he had written about indicting a President and Mueller was still working. That's it, it doesn't go any deeper than that because Trump has never been able to look further beyond the current news cycle.

Yep, ok this makes sense.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mod sassinator posted:

SNL writers can just gently caress off and party all Friday night, this week's show writes itself.

Isn't that what they do anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cr0y posted:

This is what it looks like for sane people to interact with brain rot.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It'll be fun watching republicans come to grips with worshipping a senile man

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

unwantedplatypus posted:

It'll be fun watching republicans come to grips with worshipping a senile man

Yeah I agree. Imagine their faces when they realize Reagan was senile.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh, and please ignore all of the obvious crimes in the call memo that was released, or the obstruction of justice involved in keeping the whistleblower's info from congress

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1177294211701444608

oh hey, that goon was basically correct

edit whoops timestamps nm, was catching up on olderposts from eight weeks ago at 1pm September 26

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Bizarro Watt posted:

I mean, is there even a point to asking for loyalty from a SCOTUS nominee in general? If he/she lies, what is the president going to do, fire them?

Didn’t Trump just fire Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House?

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I think about that episode of SNL where Tina Fey, (was she dressed as the statue of liberty) sang "Will you still love me tomorrow?" To Rudy Giuliani, a lot lately.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

https://soundcloud.com/penguin-audio/the-whistle-blower-complaint-released-by-the-house-intelligence-committee-9262019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Huh I wonder if and how hard the NYT is going to back peddle.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

The Super-Id posted:

Isn't this significantly worse than Reagan? Without removal, he'll very visibly degrade before leaving office

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Otteration posted:

There was a whole lot less of a divide at the time, in both directions. "Left" and "Right were a bit more murky; lot's had to do with what reps could bring back to their constituencies. Representatives and Senators still had to go back to their voters and argue their positions about impeachment to an unsure electorate, at least at first. Then more information came out and it went bad for Nixon and the polls tanked on both "sides".

Short answer: dipsits and heroes, left and right.

yeah i know all that, it's not exactly what im searching for

im guessing in that early 70s era it was more like "united states is an irrevocable contradiction that cannot be solved merely by impeachment of nixon, bomb more recruiting offices"

and less

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1177421847555649536

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Super-Id posted:

The somewhat-sane GOP voters who could be shook out of the tree are now self-identified conservative "independents" who hate life and hope to return someday. (so im not worried if independents lean right in polls, former leftish independents now said gently caress it and joined the team, so its a turnout game now for us)

Every remaining crazy apple in the GOP is going to applaud happily if Trump starts throwing literal poop at Warren in a debate.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 27, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

unwantedplatypus posted:

Isn't this significantly worse than Reagan? Without removal, he'll very visibly degrade before leaving office

Alzheimer’s is a 10 year, give or take, process from when you notice symptoms.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

Maybe we could make this an HBO dark comedy series. Old senile man on LSD thinks he's president, but then — plot twist — he actually is the president.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Lote posted:

This aint year 0

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

:emptyquote:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lote posted:

Yeah but he's already been degrading for at least 4 or 5 years now.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

unwantedplatypus posted:

Probably. I was just joking mostly. With Trump, I think it’s especially apparent because he’s always been so shallow. Now that he’s started to go he’s just paper thin bluster and swiss cheese brain. I kind of doubt it will get through to most of his supporters though, because half are probably as senile or mush brained as him and the other half never had functioning brains to begin with.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

picturing a 1970 Michael Tracey writing "CIA "whistleblower" claiming Nixon sabotaged the Paris Peace Accords to end the war that Lyndon Johnson started??"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I decided to approach an extremely right-wing crazyass message board thats just a tinge to the left of kooks (its for a sports team where their political guys were quarantined to a politics forum) to poke them before bed, which is fun to do every couple months when things are going badly. It is a good way to get a pulse of the non-Q GOP right-wing normal everyday base.

I backed away very slowly and closed the window. They are DEEEEEEEP into crazytown guys. They have no choice, this is so very bad, that cognitive dissonance is forcing them to believe Giuliani is some kind of messiah.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

When they leave office, Presidents customarily leave a letter giving advice to their successor. What do you think Trump's would say?

just a simple "WITCH HUNT!!!" and a bunch of greasy hamburger and Diet Coke stains?

It'll be this:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

I decided to approach an extremely right-wing crazyass message board thats just a tinge to the left of kooks (its for a sports team where their political guys were quarantined to a politics forum) to poke them before bed, which is fun to do every couple months when things are going badly. It is a good way to get a pulse of the non-Q GOP right-wing normal everyday base.

I backed away very slowly and closed the window. They are DEEEEEEEP into crazytown guys. They have no choice, this is so very bad, that cognitive dissonance is forcing them to believe Giuliani is some kind of messiah.

I live in south mississippi and mentioning this at all to republicans around here makes them start getting mad instantly, more so than usual. I'm actually not even going out to the bar this weekend because I don't want one of them to drunkenly start screaming about trump at me, which actually has happened to me a few different times already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Maybe. Nancy and co kept Reagan from the public a lot toward the end. He didn’t even campaign for HW. The Gipper was apparently pretty far gone toward the end, but it’s not like he had a device to send his ramblings straight into our pockets like Trump has.