Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm going to try to do this recipe this weekend. How long does it takes to get the fish to 140?

It was pretty quick, maybe an hour and a half or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

15" Kamado $199

How good a smoker would this be? Decent for the price or not worth it?

I have an 18" komodo and it's too small for brisket and needs a rib rack for more than a single slab of ribs. A 15" would probably work for a pork shoulder but not much else.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Carillon posted:

It was pretty quick, maybe an hour and a half or so?

Yeah, that sounds about right. At absolute most 2 hours, like if your smoker dips down to 200 or something. If you split up the fish in to smaller pieces before smoking it'll be even quicker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

15" Kamado $199

How good a smoker would this be? Decent for the price or not worth it?

if you want a tiny ceramic grill BGE makes a mini max which is small enough to move around

that one you posted is too small to make it worth your effort. you'd be better off buying a used BGE or KJ

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is bacon cure supposed to taste good on its own?

Asking for a friend.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Is bacon cure supposed to taste good on its own?

Asking for a friend.

Dude, I sincerely hope you're not eating curing salt by the dab.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Licking salt off slabs of pork belly

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've had my Traeger for 3 weeks now and have already gone through 30lbs of pellets. I now have a terrible habit of trying to fit a smoke in before I have to go somewhere. This has resulted in me melting down a pack of bacon into smoldering nuclear waste. I also cooking some pulled pork a a bit hot, so it wasn't as tender as I had hoped, but it still tasted great.

Other than that, everything else I have smoked (chicken legs, tri tip, pork sirloin, a second pack of bacon, turkey burgers, a few racks of St Louis ribs) has come out loving amazing. I have to say, my family's least favorite was the tri tip since I usually buy them pre-seasoned from Costco. I've got some unseasoned ones now that I'll rub myself next time. The ribs, with a honey/brown sugar drizzle at the 2, were fantastic. Chicken tastes amazing on this thing.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 26, 2019

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

You need to let your meat rest for a bit more before cutting it. Give it 5-10 minutes at least. It won't cool down much and all the juices will redistribute so they don't all drain out like that.

Otherwise everything looks tasty.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tri tip fuckin rules so much

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trastion posted:

You need to let your meat rest for a bit more before cutting it. Give it 5-10 minutes at least. It won't cool down much and all the juices will redistribute so they don't all drain out like that.

Otherwise everything looks tasty.

Yeah this is one of those meals I had to get on the table quickly due to late soccer practice and early bedtime for the kids. Basically, don’t have kids if you wanted unrushed smoked meats.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

BraveUlysses posted:

tri tip fuckin rules so much

They really are so god drat good

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I picked up a tri tip, smoked it to 127, seared it on a plancha to 138, rested it for 15 minutes, cut against the grain, then tore into it.

It was like chewing meaty rubber. I'll try it again at some point but man that was a disappointment.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spiggy posted:

I picked up a tri tip, smoked it to 127, seared it on a plancha to 138, rested it for 15 minutes, cut against the grain, then tore into it.

It was like chewing meaty rubber. I'll try it again at some point but man that was a disappointment.

What temp? We did one very similarly at 225 and it turned out good. Smoked for like 2 hours until 127, seared for a minute or two on a blazing hot grill, rested for 15, sliced and devoured.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Moey posted:

What temp? We did one very similarly at 225 and it turned out good. Smoked for like 2 hours until 127, seared for a minute or two on a blazing hot grill, rested for 15, sliced and devoured.

250. I wouldn't figure that a slightly higher temp would affect it so much but I'll go lower next time.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Spiggy posted:

I actually found much better results doing a sous vide + sear on a tri-tip instead of smoking. Comes out super good every time and great for parties since you don’t have to babysit it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure Santa Maria barbeque for tri tip is more grilled than smoked. Think hotter and faster, more like flank than brisket. It's not the fattiest cut of meat.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Carillon posted:

I'm pretty sure Santa Maria barbeque for tri tip is more grilled than smoked. Think hotter and faster, more like flank than brisket. It's not the fattiest cut of meat.
I smoke my tri-tips around 250 to 300 until 120, like Kenji suggests, which takes maybe 90 minutes, maybe less. Then a quick sear with butter as hot as I can get it. Closer to 700 instead of 400.

The main issue is slicing to avoid that chewiness in my experience. You probably didn't cut it thin enough or misidentified the grain, which runs in different directions on different parts of the meat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i feel like tritip is more forgiving on temp than if you slice it incorrectly. i break out the giant long serrated slicer for it and change my cutting angle as i cut from one end to the other

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

dy. posted:

I actually found much better results doing a sous vide + sear on a tri-tip instead of smoking. Comes out super good every time and great for parties since you don’t have to babysit it.

Tri tip does really great with sous vide. So good!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Carillon posted:

You can do it either way. When I lived in Santa Barbara we would grill it on wood or charcoal on the grills that could raise or lower. Or we’d go here for sandwiches.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Spring_Tavern

Now I do it on the grill. I’ve done it in a smoker and in the oven but I like a nice seat on it. Tri tip rules any way you cook it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Spiggy posted:

I find a good tri tip is best pulled at 125, and letting it rise to 130 on the rest. Pulling it at 138 probably means it hit close to 145 on the rest and that's a bit too high for me.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

dy. posted:

Comes out super good every time and great for parties since you don’t have to babysit it.

I even let a drunk friend man the grill most of my party while I was inside, and it still turned out excellent.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I drug my Kamado home from the lake yesterday. It's my mother-in-laws birthday tomorrow and she loves ribs so I was going to make her some. So I ask they experts of the slow smoking meat thread, bring me your best rib recipe (most likely baby back but open to others).

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
The Harris Teeter down the street from me had pork butts on sale for .97/lb, so I threw two on the smoker last night around 12:30. The thermometer was still reading 230° when I woke up, and we're about to round 180° inside one of the butts. All of the hard work is done, and I'm optimistic that they'll be ready for the second half of the Clemson game :drum:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
It's smoker clearance season
https://slickdeals.net/f/13406728-walmart-grill-clearance-thread-ymmv?attrsrc=Test%3AHideExpiredSearch%3AControl&src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
just picked up six 20-lb bags of Weber brand briquettes for 5 bucks each. Regular price is 20 bucks each.

Anyone try these out? The price is right, so if they don't suck I might go and get another 6 bags.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Canuckistan posted:

just picked up six 20-lb bags of Weber brand briquettes for 5 bucks each. Regular price is 20 bucks each.

Anyone try these out? The price is right, so if they don't suck I might go and get another 6 bags.

Where?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Home Depot in Canada. Their other charcoal was still regular price.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hell for that price, good deal. I went to buy some wood chunks last week at Menards (think of like Lowes or Home depot). Their seasonal department was now fricking Christmas crap.

So I left and yelled at some clouds when it was 85 out.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I have a good dozen bags of charcoal in the garage now, and I'm thinking of more. Is there such a thing as too much charcoal?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hell for that price, good deal. I went to buy some wood chunks last week at Menards (think of like Lowes or Home depot). Their seasonal department was now fricking Christmas crap.

So I left and yelled at some clouds when it was 85 out.

Christmas season keeps coming sooner and sooner. Next year it'll be the beginning of September and the year after that as soon as the 4th of July is done, it'll be that time.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i have a dyna glo electric smoker. It does well with the actual smoking of the meats, but it struggles to actually get hot and cook everything through. my cooking times tend to be several hours past what they should be. Most of the time i rarely can get it over 200 degrees, so i end up finishing things in the oven. ive tried replacing the electric heat coil, but it doesnt seem to have made much difference.

I usually put a tin pan full of liquid (inch to 2 inches of liquid) on the bottom rack, below the meats. Do you think this could cause the box to never hit 250-275 degrees? Or is it more likely i have a cheap electric smoker

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

water is there to hold heat a bit better and provide moisture. I don't think that's the issue, maybe there's issue with your smoker.
Smokers aren't really for "cooking of the meats" generally you're looking for 225-250 to smoke, 275 seems kind of high to me.
You might not have enough heat elemetn to get that high especially if it's chillyi out. I haven't had much issue with my 30 master-built even when it's cold but usually I'm hitting ranges of 225-235

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Smoked my second Tri tip. Did a garlic/chili pepper rub. Smoked til 125, threw it on my propane grill to sear it til 135. Much better than my previous attempt, but my juices still leaked all over from the probe hole while resting.

First thing my son does is douses the loving thing in Ketchup. gently caress.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sacrifice him.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Smoked my second Tri tip. Did a garlic/chili pepper rub. Smoked til 125, threw it on my propane grill to sear it til 135. Much better than my previous attempt, but my juices still leaked all over from the probe hole while resting.

I'm living with my cousin and her 10yo twins right now and the two of them put ketchup on the carne asada I made for tacos. I called them out on their heresy but they just laughed and smiled while they doused the tacos in tomato/sugar blasphemy.

Apparently their dad does it and they've been brought up to do the same.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How old is he?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I'd suggest a pepper, salt, garlic and cumin rub, followed by slow smoking at 225 to an internal temp of 140.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone smoked a heart before?

Thoughts of treating it like a burnt ends ala Fat Internet Guy?

I'm making it for a party, so small snackable burnt end cubes are much more appealing than say shredded or sliced smoked pieces.
Worst case I jsut do pork belly burnt ends, but I like feeding people offal.