Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

25k.

It's forward-thinking. :colbert: And already larger than any other ship being built anywhere in the world right now except the two other battleships we're building.

This is cool until the combat engine spawns us in a point-blank night battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

The funnels

The funnels......

Do funnels block shots and interfere with performance? Or are they just cosmetic. Because if they actually affect performance I have to root for that design.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arcturas posted:

Do funnels block shots and interfere with performance? Or are they just cosmetic. Because if they actually affect performance I have to root for that design.

They're just cosmetic. The game doesn't actually model the ships and their propulsion systems with that kind of complexity.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Also, for reference to real-world history, the planned and canceled 1920(-ish) South Dakota battleships had, per wikipedia, these relevant stats:
47,000 tons displacement
23 knot maximum speed
12 16" guns
16 6" guns
4 3" guns
2 torpedo tubes (lol)

8-13" belt armor
4.5-13.5" barbette armor (?)
5-18" turret armor
3.5-6" deck armor

So, compared to the current set of proposed battleships, the South Dakotas would have been: more heavily gunned, the same speed, and comparably armored. But I have no clue what the all-or-nothing armor scheme is or what it does so who knows!

The British planned N-3 class designed in 1920 is probably also comparable.

50,000 tons
23 knots
3x3 18" guns
8x 6" guns
6x 5" AA guns
6x torpedo tubes

13.5-15" belt armor
6-8" deck armor
15" barbettes
10-18" turret armor
15" conning tower armor

Again, more heavily gunned than our current batch of designs, similar speed, maybe a touch more heavily armored.

I'm guessing our tech is a little behind historical tech, probably because we're playing Russia instead of the US/UK?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 26, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arcturas posted:

So, compared to the current set of proposed battleships, the South Dakotas would have been: more heavily gunned, the same speed, and comparably armored. But I have no clue what the all-or-nothing armor scheme is or what it does so who knows!

What all-or-nothing means is that you recognize that light or medium armor is pointless on a capital ship. You either armor a part of the ship enough to withstand enemy fire, or you don't armor it at all. Therefore, you design the ship so that there's an interior zone encased in armor; this zone contains the main gun magazines and propulsion rooms as well as whatever else you consider combat-essential. You make sure this zone is big enough that it can float on its own if it needs to. That way, if the enemy hits something else, the shells fly through or blow it away--but you don't care. And you haven't wasted weight on giving that part of the ship partial armor.

In-game it means the ship is more resistant to flooding damage and can be lighter for the same effective armor coverage.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Design Bureau was informed that they could save more weight and thus equip the Maximum Battleship with more armor. This alternative option is presented below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n73175lc60hvmmj/Maximum%20BB%202.30d?dl=0

We were also informed that perhaps our recommendations were too expensive and infeasible. Bah, regardless we found it an interesting challenge to design a capital ship that does not weigh as much as our recent battleships. We have therefore came up with this design:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqxxgpqgsrvgqtl/Minimum%20BC.30d?dl=0

Her vitals are impenetrable to cruiser fire of all kinds and she is prepared for a long marathon in foreign stations. Due to bureaucratic obstruction this design's speed had to be built to go at 28 knots instead of the 27 knots as envisioned. We are sure she'll satisfy the requirements of misers in the legislature.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Arcturas posted:

I'm guessing our tech is a little behind historical tech, probably because we're playing Russia instead of the US/UK?

Yes. Also we've had bad luck / not prioritizing turret tech so we're stuck with double mounts and that makes getting more than 8 to 10 guns incredibly weight intensive.

The SoDaks used triple turrets in ABXY super firing mounts.

10 guns in 5 dual mounts has a similar weight to 12 in 4 triples once you start adding armor in any significant amount.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I only have the first game but those real world specs are eye opening. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that much armor in game.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
All of these AoN designs, do we even have the tech for it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey provided a save, which the ship submissions are (or should be) using to submit designs. And yes, we got AoN armour in one of the last two updates.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

BurningStone posted:

I only have the first game but those real world specs are eye opening. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that much armor in game.

I don't have any of the games, but I think part of that is in the real world you have a little bit more fine-tuned control over armor thickness? Like you're not limited to the same belt armor thickness everywhere.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A new design bureau has emerged! With two possible designs!

The first is the Potemkin class of battleship. With a name like that, what could go wrong? This ship features an ideal balance of speed, firepower, and protection, with a robust zone of immunity against her own guns (13k to 28k yds), excellent speed for a battleship at 23 knots, and a shift away from useless 3" "tertiary guns" and instead covering every available square inch of deck with AA guns. With the threat of destroyer torpedo runs diminishing thanks to our own excellent destroyer screens, it makes sense to focus firepower instead on the new threat from the air.

The second design, the Bayan, is admittedly more expensive, and may be more risky, but is also potentially revolutionary. The first thing to note is her speed: at 29 knots, she will be among the fastest ships afloat, of any class. She's also the fastest cruiser of any type on earth. Her eight 16" guns make her the best armed battlecruiser in the world, though her secondary armament and AA suite are less robust. In short, she is the ultimate cruiser killer, able to win a fight against any cruiser, anywhere, anytime (as long as it is in our territorial waters), and she can easily run from any ship or group of ships that might threaten her. With a long-range zone of immunity against 16" guns, and an impressive zone of immunity against anything smaller, she can take her place on the periphery of a fleet action as well, using her incredible speed to keep enemy battleships within her zone of immunity, and destroying them with long range gunfire. A ship with this speed and armament will be useful right to the very end of our timeline.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 27, 2019

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey Hunter posted:

The funnels

The funnels......

Every design I've submitted has had non-centralised funnels :)

SPEAKIN OV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1owHc7xX__WQXeX7tlHfXG6GmCkS4fPpw

DA CURRENT LOT O SHIPZ IZ GUD, BUT SOME GROTZ POINTED OUT DEY DON'T AV ENOUGH DAKKA. SO FER DA PRISE OF DA 6" ARRAYZ, WE PREZENTZ DA DESIGN FER DA MAKSIMAL'NYA OTSENKA ORUZHIYA. WIF A MASSIVE 12 GUNZ BROADYSIDE, IT KAN PUT DA DAKKAZ ON DA OVA GITZ LIKE DEY AINT NUZINK. AN ONCE SHE'Z FRU WIF EM, DEY WON'T BE!!!

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnwbtk0sn59yekt/Imperskiy%20Skopa.30d?dl=0

The Imperskiy Skopa is a fast, well protected Battlecruiser.

She makes 29 knots, which is either the fastest, or tied for fastest ship in the running.

She has medium range and normal accommodations, making her capable of traversing the world in the event of an unscheduled war.

Her armor protects her from it's own guns from 26,000 to 18,000 yards.

Her gun layout is boring, but proven and effective.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I enjoy the small shot of how we have no money in the corner of the extremely expensive BC's design.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

We clearly need a 11-inch battlecruiser armored for 6-inch gunfire for maximum Scrooge.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Danann posted:

Gonna give this shipbuilding thing a shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0g5f5g2d5d5tkv/Maximum%20BB.30d?dl=0

This is the Maximum Battleship. First discovered on a napkin in the Imperial Naval Academy's canteen, this battleship takes All or Nothing to its most extreme limits. She is proof against her own guns until she is at close range and she has enough guns in armored turrets equivalent to three of our destroyers per broadside not counting her tertiary armament. This will be the pride and joy of the Imperial Navy if she's constructed.

Veloxyll posted:

IT'S BNEEN A ZOGGIN LONG DAY OKAY.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y2puozXqbZik-A_Wzlds2mQlWWmFuaEP

DA KREMOVYY PONCHIK IZ DA SHOOTIEST BOI WEZ EVA MADE. WIF FOUR KINDZA GUNZ AN ARMA TA BOOT, DA PONCHIK IZ DA BOOT WE PUTZ INTA DA OVVA GITZ
WAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!
AN FER ONLY AFF DA KURRENT BUILDY BUDGIT.

Though dat Maximum Battleship IZ a lotta Battleship

Pirate Radar posted:

Friends, it is clear that future naval engagements will take place from very long range. The Zherebets design is prepared for this, with the heavy deck armor required to withstand plunging fire even from her own guns. She would carry not eight but ten main guns and enough secondary guns and anti-aircraft machineguns to dissuade any smaller vessels or aircraft from attacking her. All this for a cost comparable to the Imperator Garpun and Vasily Legasov we are currently constructing!

Danann posted:

The Design Bureau was informed that they could save more weight and thus equip the Maximum Battleship with more armor. This alternative option is presented below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n73175lc60hvmmj/Maximum%20BB%202.30d?dl=0

We were also informed that perhaps our recommendations were too expensive and infeasible. Bah, regardless we found it an interesting challenge to design a capital ship that does not weigh as much as our recent battleships. We have therefore came up with this design:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqxxgpqgsrvgqtl/Minimum%20BC.30d?dl=0

Her vitals are impenetrable to cruiser fire of all kinds and she is prepared for a long marathon in foreign stations. Due to bureaucratic obstruction this design's speed had to be built to go at 28 knots instead of the 27 knots as envisioned. We are sure she'll satisfy the requirements of misers in the legislature.

bewbies posted:

A new design bureau has emerged! With two possible designs!

The first is the Potemkin class of battleship. With a name like that, what could go wrong? This ship features an ideal balance of speed, firepower, and protection, with a robust zone of immunity against her own guns (13k to 28k yds), excellent speed for a battleship at 23 knots, and a shift away from useless 3" "tertiary guns" and instead covering every available square inch of deck with AA guns. With the threat of destroyer torpedo runs diminishing thanks to our own excellent destroyer screens, it makes sense to focus firepower instead on the new threat from the air.

The second design, the Bayan, is admittedly more expensive, and may be more risky, but is also potentially revolutionary. The first thing to note is her speed: at 29 knots, she will be among the fastest ships afloat, of any class. She's also the fastest cruiser of any type on earth. Her eight 16" guns make her the best armed battlecruiser in the world, though her secondary armament and AA suite are less robust. In short, she is the ultimate cruiser killer, able to win a fight against any cruiser, anywhere, anytime (as long as it is in our territorial waters), and she can easily run from any ship or group of ships that might threaten her. With a long-range zone of immunity against 16" guns, and an impressive zone of immunity against anything smaller, she can take her place on the periphery of a fleet action as well, using her incredible speed to keep enemy battleships within her zone of immunity, and destroying them with long range gunfire. A ship with this speed and armament will be useful right to the very end of our timeline.

Veloxyll posted:

Every design I've submitted has had non-centralised funnels :)

SPEAKIN OV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1owHc7xX__WQXeX7tlHfXG6GmCkS4fPpw

DA CURRENT LOT O SHIPZ IZ GUD, BUT SOME GROTZ POINTED OUT DEY DON'T AV ENOUGH DAKKA. SO FER DA PRISE OF DA 6" ARRAYZ, WE PREZENTZ DA DESIGN FER DA MAKSIMAL'NYA OTSENKA ORUZHIYA. WIF A MASSIVE 12 GUNZ BROADYSIDE, IT KAN PUT DA DAKKAZ ON DA OVA GITZ LIKE DEY AINT NUZINK. AN ONCE SHE'Z FRU WIF EM, DEY WON'T BE!!!

Infidelicious posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnwbtk0sn59yekt/Imperskiy%20Skopa.30d?dl=0

The Imperskiy Skopa is a fast, well protected Battlecruiser.

She makes 29 knots, which is either the fastest, or tied for fastest ship in the running.

She has medium range and normal accommodations, making her capable of traversing the world in the event of an unscheduled war.

Her armor protects her from it's own guns from 26,000 to 18,000 yards.

Her gun layout is boring, but proven and effective.

So many bad choices.....

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also you can't name something below 70,000-80,000 tons the Maximum Battleship. Unless we have to grease the sides so it can get through the Panama Canal it isn't a Maximum Battleship yet.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Going to put my vote in the Minimum BC.

Night10194 posted:

Also you can't name something below 70,000-80,000 tons the Maximum Battleship. Unless we have to grease the sides so it can get through the Panama Canal it isn't a Maximum Battleship yet.

Clearly we're being limited by the Kiel Canal here. :v:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Zherebetz?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
aaaaaaaa stop making ships without conning tower armor. the game does not recognize your genius and your ship will literally stop working the moment any shell of any caliber hits it...

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I really wish I could support one of the BC builds, but they're either going to explode at first contact, bankrupt us, or both. So I have to support the next logical choice, Potemkin. I just wish those secondaries were in turrets, for looks alone.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

sloshmonger posted:

I really wish I could support one of the BC builds, but they're either going to explode at first contact, bankrupt us, or both. So I have to support the next logical choice, Potemkin. I just wish those secondaries were in turrets, for looks alone.

Same

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

A suggestion – although this will probably slow the pace of the thread down, and also reduce the chance for Goon hilarity...

Is it worth after the design submission phase having a review/refinement phase so that things can be tweaked before ships go to a final vote?

I worry I'm doing a similar thing to whoever the guy going on about non-optimum play was, but the omission of coning tower armor on most of the ships seems like something that should be fixed.

Another option for design by committee, would be to do a vote for each element of a BB so we end up with some kind of consensus good ship.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zip! posted:

A suggestion – although this will probably slow the pace of the thread down, and also reduce the chance for Goon hilarity...

Is it worth after the design submission phase having a review/refinement phase so that things can be tweaked before ships go to a final vote?

I worry I'm doing a similar thing to whoever the guy going on about non-optimum play was, but the omission of coning tower armor on most of the ships seems like something that should be fixed.

Another option for design by committee, would be to do a vote for each element of a BB so we end up with some kind of consensus good ship.

Nah. We get our error checking through having alternate designs. There are solid designs in this contest, they're not ALL Paper Coning Tower designs

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Where's the fun in that?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Potemkin

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

MAXIMUM BATTLESHIP :black101:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Kremovyy

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Imperskiy Skopa

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Potemkin

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Minimum Battlecruiser

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Arcturas posted:

Also, for reference to real-world history, the planned and canceled 1920(-ish) South Dakota battleships had, per wikipedia, these relevant stats:
47,000 tons displacement
23 knot maximum speed
12 16" guns
16 6" guns
4 3" guns
2 torpedo tubes (lol)

8-13" belt armor
4.5-13.5" barbette armor (?)
5-18" turret armor
3.5-6" deck armor

The British planned N-3 class designed in 1920 is probably also comparable.

50,000 tons
23 knots
3x3 18" guns
8x 6" guns
6x 5" AA guns
6x torpedo tubes

13.5-15" belt armor
6-8" deck armor
15" barbettes
10-18" turret armor
15" conning tower armor

Again, more heavily gunned than our current batch of designs, similar speed, maybe a touch more heavily armored.

Keep in mind that armor in RtW is kind of abstracted. In real life, changes in armor technology improved the performance of a given thickness of armor. This is obviously really annoying to model, so what the model does is that armor inches are generic and not dependent on technology. Technology only reduces weight of armor, so that you can add more thickness for the same tonnage, which does a good job simulating superior technology. However, when you go to compare to real armor, the thicknesses don't match.

For instance, 10.5" of Krupp cemented armor is roughly equivalent to 12" of the earlier Harvey armor - so if you're comparing a real ship that uses KCA or STS or any of the later armor developments, its performance would be represented in game by a much thicker armor plate.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Potemkin

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Keep in mind that armor in RtW is kind of abstracted. In real life, changes in armor technology improved the performance of a given thickness of armor. This is obviously really annoying to model, so what the model does is that armor inches are generic and not dependent on technology. Technology only reduces weight of armor, so that you can add more thickness for the same tonnage, which does a good job simulating superior technology.

This was true in RtW, but in RtW2 the game does model armor quality, not just weight.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Potemkin

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
What is it with those 3-inch tertiary batteries? That's literally dead weight at this point. Torpedo ranges have outpaced the effective range of 3-inch guns, so you can't even use them to beat off destroyers or MTBs effectively anymore. Just ditch that crap and use the weight to pile on AA mounts already.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pirate Radar posted:

This was true in RtW, but in RtW2 the game does model armor quality, not just weight.

oh nice, i didn't realize it changed.

i still have RTW1 because im cheap. is rtw2 good now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Magni posted:

What is it with those 3-inch tertiary batteries? That's literally dead weight at this point. Torpedo ranges have outpaced the effective range of 3-inch guns, so you can't even use them to beat off destroyers or MTBs effectively anymore. Just ditch that crap and use the weight to pile on AA mounts already.

Provided they're put in turrets instead of casemates, 3-inch tertiaries can get converted to DP mounts pretty early and give you decent heavy AA capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Magni posted:

Single mount 3" is the first DP Heavy AA caliber you get.

It's also like 150T for 24 of them, which isn't a significant amount of weight in terms of gaining armor or speed or even additional ammunition.

Light AA only fires at planes directly attacking that vessel, HAA and MAA fire at planes attacking the entire formation.