Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Right before Everyone Loves Raymond hit ratings critical mass, Quentin Tarantino stopped Romano on an airplane to tell him how much he loved the show.

Since Debra’s feet were never shown that would be high praise for the characters and writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The only good episode of Everybody Loves Raymond is the one where the family takes a trip to Italy. Ray acts like a huge wet blanket as usual so everyone just decides to go sightseeing without him. He then goes out on his own and starts appreciating the local culture at his own pace. There's a sincerity to it that is just so unlike the rest of the show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

Speaking of bad things that were aged horribly from birth: I remember this old sitcom that starred David Spade. I think Kirstie Allie was in it too. Pretty sure they were working at a fashion magazine, could be wrong about that part.
What I definitely remember though was that for awhile, Spade's character was dating a supermodel by having gaslighted her into thinking she was too ugly to even leave the apartment and that he was the only one who loved her for her.

That was Just Shoot Me. It has not aged well at all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Right before Everyone Loves Raymond hit ratings critical mass, Quentin Tarantino stopped Romano on an airplane to tell him how much he loved the show.

Since Debra’s feet were never shown that would be high praise for the characters and writing.
A true critic can appreciate the feet they don't show as much as the feet they do.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

the_steve posted:

Definitely can't deny Al's loyalty.
There are plenty of episodes where he's given a chance to bail out on Peg and the kids and ends up staying with them. That episode where they all go to Hell comes to mind.

Speaking of bad things that were aged horribly from birth: I remember this old sitcom that starred David Spade. I think Kirstie Allie was in it too. Pretty sure they were working at a fashion magazine, could be wrong about that part.
What I definitely remember though was that for awhile, Spade's character was dating a supermodel by having gaslighted her into thinking she was too ugly to even leave the apartment and that he was the only one who loved her for her.

The Kirstie Alley one was Veronica's Closet, but I think it had a very similar premise to Just Shoot Me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

Definitely can't deny Al's loyalty.

I can't pin down the set-up / context for it, but there's an episode where Al refuses to sell his old car, for some reason or another. It's revealed at the end that he was stalling for time in order to get a picture of his family out of it before it's sold/destroyed/whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The Kirstie Alley one was Veronica's Closet, but I think it had a very similar premise to Just Shoot Me.
I was all set to talk about Veronica's Closet when I realized I was thinking about Judd Nelson as her will-they-won't-they boss. And that was actually Brooke Shields in Suddenly Susan.

I think they retooled Veronica's Closet in season 2-3 and the office became all flowy open-air and San Franciscoy or something.

Just Shoot Me had a good cast, and Laura San Giacomo's cleavage wasn't the focus of the character like Kat Dennings in Two Broke Girls

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
"Working on the writing/editorial staff of a magazine" didn't age well as a sitcom career choice

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I liked Grounded For Life. Nothing super amazing; solid family sitcom type plots but with a wry sense of humor. Like, sarcastic but earnest. Also Megyn Price is one of the hottest TV moms ever.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FilthyImp posted:

I was all set to talk about Veronica's Closet when I realized I was thinking about Judd Nelson as her will-they-won't-they boss. And that was actually Brooke Shields in Suddenly Susan.

I think they retooled Veronica's Closet in season 2-3 and the office became all flowy open-air and San Franciscoy or something.

Just Shoot Me had a good cast, and Laura San Giacomo's cleavage wasn't the focus of the character like Kat Dennings in Two Broke Girls

In one of those shows didn't one of the actors commit suicide or was it the character?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah one of the male leads on Suddenly Susan died by suicide.

E: Oh gee, look, Andy Dick was tangentially involved:

"On March 20, 1999, Strickland and Andy Dick flew from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and spent three days partying in strip clubs.[3] After checking into Room 20 of the Oasis Motel, Strickland spent time with a prostitute, consumed six bottles of beer, hanged himself with a bed sheet over the ceiling beam, and died during the morning hours of March 22, 1999.[4] His body was discovered by a private investigator hired by his friend and co-star Brooke Shields when Strickland missed his appearance in Los Angeles Municipal Court for cocaine possession.[5][6]"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It should really go without saying that hanging out with Andy Dick for extended periods of time is going to be extremely detrimental to your physical and mental health. He’s like a chaos elemental

On the other hand if you’re just looking to go out with a bang and you have Andy Dick’s number it’s probably a decent option

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Sep 27, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Suddenly Susan had an episode where a gag was Donald Trump being promoted as a possible presidential candidate. So by extension I blame our current Hellworld on Brooke Shields.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MisterBibs posted:

I can't pin down the set-up / context for it, but there's an episode where Al refuses to sell his old car, for some reason or another. It's revealed at the end that he was stalling for time in order to get a picture of his family out of it before it's sold/destroyed/whatever.

I like the scene where the family are stuck in traffic and a driver insults Al, starting a fistfight between them. The other drivers wife makes a wry comment that infuriates Peggy because she just insulted Al, and those two start fighting too, and by the end the whole family is fighting the entire other family to preserve their honour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7AGop2dZyE

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grounded For Life had Donal Logue and Kevin Corrigan, it was better than most sitcoms almost by default

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thranguy posted:

"Working on the writing/editorial staff of a magazine" didn't age well as a sitcom career choice

They've tried to make Clark Kent and Lois Lane bloggers a few times

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

purple death ray posted:

Somehow aged even worse.

Peter Parker as an underpaid abused gig economy photographer on the other hand...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

purple death ray posted:

I like the thing in Supergirl where she get's fired from the magazine she works at because rather than waiting to have a rock-hard source for her story she chose to blog it instead. Of course that pissed her editor off no end and she was rightly fired.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MisterBibs posted:

It was the episode where Al took the car to the car wash and it got lost. Turns out the washing revealed the car's real color and they just didn't recognize it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Thranguy posted:

I swear 50% of American sitcoms are about someone with an ill-defined do-nothing job like that. You don't ever have to show anyone actually doing any real work, and it's an excuse to shoehorn in a celebrity cameo every now and then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Bob Newhart's show Bob has not aged well. The premise had Bob as a comic book artist whose 1950's creation, Mad-Dog, was being ressurrected in the 90's. That lasted one season until the company he worked for was sold and the new owner fired all the comics-related staff and Bob ended up becoming a greeting card designer.

They did have an episode featuring numerous comic book artists: Bob Kane, Jack Kirby, Mell Lazarus, Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Mel Keefer, Paul Power, Art Thibert and Sergio Aragones.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

It should really go without saying that hanging out with Andy Dick for extended periods of time is going to be extremely detrimental to your physical and mental health. He’s like a chaos elemental

On the other hand if you’re just looking to go out with a bang and you have Andy Dick’s number it’s probably a decent option

Or you can just beat his rear end like Lovitz justifiably did

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just think Ray Romano comes across as the most annoying, pathetic person on Earth and want to set him on fire every time he opens his mouth.
I liked him in Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist. Actually I liked everything about that show, except possibly the "squigglevision".

the_steve posted:

I remember liking Just Shoot Me when it was first on (I would have been about 12 at the time), but the protagonist very quickly went from earnest and naive to absolutely braindead moronic, and I'd actually leave the room whenever my family were watching it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alaois posted:

Grounded For Life had Donal Logue and Kevin Corrigan, it was better than most sitcoms almost by default
It also had the thing where the mom was pretty attractive and the teenage daughter was kind of annoyed at it, right?

To the point where she ends up doing a saucy number from Cabaret and pissess off the PTA?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

I liked him in Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist. Actually I liked everything about that show, except possibly the "squigglevision".

Honestly, Ray Romano is pretty likeable in basically everything he's in outside of Everybody Loves Raymond. He's not a gold-star or anything, he's in plenty of stuff that's crap and he's not really saving anything he's in, but you come out of seeing him in anything else and go 'you know, Ray Romano was pretty decent in that'.

I'm not sure exactly why his own show let him down there, there's a lot of potential ways. Maybe he just wasn't very good at actual acting early on, maybe long-term roles aren't good for him, or maybe he was too willing to have his show paint him as an rear end in a top hat. I wouldn't say that it's because he's an rear end in a top hat, because that'd come through in his stand-up and he's pretty pleasant on-stage.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

hanging out with Andy Dick

You really went there?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sweevo posted:

I swear 50% of American sitcoms are about someone with an ill-defined do-nothing job like that. You don't ever have to show anyone actually doing any real work, and it's an excuse to shoehorn in a celebrity cameo every now and then.

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia had the gang owning the bar because it’s a job that would allow them to do more random stuff in the middle of the day, but even then they don’t exactly do a lot of work.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That show was great, but I also didn't like the squigglevision. I get why they did it - just having the characters be completely still while talking might look odd, but they could've toned it back, at least.

Hey, you know what didn't age well? The episode of Arthur that parodied Beavis and Butthead, South Park, WWE, and perhaps most bafflingly Dr. Katz (also Dexter's Lab, but I think that one's a much less weird choice.) Here's a compilation of the clips from the episode. It's really strange and surreal. As a kid, the episode confused the heck out of me because basically the entire thing went over my head. That said, it's very clearly one of those episodes that's more for the creators than the audience, and I'm happy for them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sweevo posted:

I think ELR has Ray be a sportswriter for this kind of reason.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Lucy and Ricky were a great sitcom couple. Bob and Linda Belcher are up there, too, if you count animated sitcoms.

bobjr posted:

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia had the gang owning the bar because it’s a job that would allow them to do more random stuff in the middle of the day, but even then they don’t exactly do a lot of work.

Except for Charlie. The episode with the health inspector coming around was fantastic, both in execution and in showing how much Charlie actually does and cares about the bar.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

bobjr posted:

Frank being rich and funding everyone's lifestyles is the excuse now and it's a pretty good one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ray was unlike able on ELR but I think that’s his purpose. The show brings up how selfish and spineless he is a lot

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

If the show is geared towards women it will probably have a radio host at some point. All the terrible shows my wife watches do that. I think it’s supposed to be a glamorous job that gives you lots of free time so you can squeeze in all the love affairs and drama. The fact those jobs don’t really exist anymore or pay much is glossed over just like all the newspaper and magazine jobs they also give characters.

It also lets a character monologue. In Brothers and Sisters Sally Field eventually finds fame as a radio host who talks about her family all the time even though her voice is terrible for radio and no one cares about her family.

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, Ray Romano is pretty likeable in basically everything he's in outside of Everybody Loves Raymond. He's not a gold-star or anything, he's in plenty of stuff that's crap and he's not really saving anything he's in, but you come out of seeing him in anything else and go 'you know, Ray Romano was pretty decent in that'.

I'm not sure exactly why his own show let him down there, there's a lot of potential ways. Maybe he just wasn't very good at actual acting early on, maybe long-term roles aren't good for him, or maybe he was too willing to have his show paint him as an rear end in a top hat. I wouldn't say that it's because he's an rear end in a top hat, because that'd come through in his stand-up and he's pretty pleasant on-stage.

Yeah he's fine and ELR was entertaining enough, basically everyone was a pain to each other but they were there for each other too...

I remember watching The Big Sick and it slowly dawning on me who the guy with the beard was...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

If the show is geared towards women it will probably have a radio host at some point. All the terrible shows my wife watches do that. I think it’s supposed to be a glamorous job that gives you lots of free time so you can squeeze in all the love affairs and drama. The fact those jobs don’t really exist anymore or pay much is glossed over just like all the newspaper and magazine jobs they also give characters.

Jobs in sitcoms are inconsequential, everyone has a do-nothing job, especially if it takes place in an actual workplace.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Iron Crowned posted:

Jobs in sitcoms are inconsequential, everyone has a do-nothing job, especially if it takes place in an actual workplace.

Cheers covered all shifts of a busy bar with two bartenders and two waitresses. Sometimes one waitress, when Rebecca was a manager instead.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Krispy Wafer posted:

I like how in It Part 2 they had to update Richie’s job that he’s well known for from Shock Jockey to stand up comic because it’s something that really isn’t around as a popular thing anymore.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bobjr posted:

I like how in It Part 2 they had to update Richie’s job that he’s well known for from Shock Jockey to stand up comic because it’s something that really isn’t around as a popular thing anymore.

Podcast host

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Recurring Cum Town guest Richie Tozier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier comes to mind as one where the titular character and his brother are wealthy of their own accord, as well as having more detail on the radio host job, though iirc even at the time non-political talk radio was dying out. (Though maybe not everywhere)

Though Frasier has come up as a bit of a different beast that mostly avoided the pitfalls of other sitcoms. Mostly.