Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
You goddamn fuckers made me check the thread title. :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

I've never really played yugioh but every time anyone links a yugioh card it's always 20 lines of point 4 font so I assume no one else has read any yugioh cards either

they dont really use keywords

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
or have any sort of templating. i also believe some of the translations are literal which has led to cards working differently in america and japan

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My favourite thing about yugioh is that it doesn't really use creature types, instead it does tribes based on card names.

It's also English translated from Japanese, so you get tribes that include just the prefix of a word, and cards that say "search your deck for a {tribe} card except for {a list of every single older card that got translated to use the same word but isn't supposed to be in the tribe}".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Looking forward to yugioh having no text on cards and requiring a codex to play in 10 years.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You mean going back to the original anime representation where players had to tell their opponents (and the audience) what every card did?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

You mean going back to the original anime representation where players had to tell their opponents (and the audience) what every card did?

Sounds like a really good esport.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

the japanese airing had the text on the cards only the english ones didnt lol

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kild posted:

the japanese airing had the text on the cards only the english ones didnt lol

The dub had a lot of lazy editing.

Invisible guns comes to mind.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJr1dTPSis

if you dont think this scenes sick get out

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJr1dTPSis

if you dont think this scenes sick get out

I have not watched the entire series for reasons but I like how apparently, later in the show, rules of the game actually start to matter and Kaiba needs to sacrifice two monsters to summon Blue-Eyes rather than just playing it straight from his hand like characters did early on in the show

honestly the early episodes that i've pushed through give me a headache because so many rules of the game are straight up ignored and yugi only ever seems to win by some sort of cheating

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

early yugioh is great because it's more about how much of a jerk every character is and yugi just owning all of them, like the games hardly even matter that much in terms of rules. maybe it's taken from super early yugioh before the card game, where yugi would just make up games/rules on the spot and banish people into their own personal hell.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One match in and Oko is loving B-U-S-T-E-D

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

I have not watched the entire series for reasons but I like how apparently, later in the show, rules of the game actually start to matter and Kaiba needs to sacrifice two monsters to summon Blue-Eyes rather than just playing it straight from his hand like characters did early on in the show

honestly the early episodes that i've pushed through give me a headache because so many rules of the game are straight up ignored and yugi only ever seems to win by some sort of cheating

Yugi has the superpower of cheating, that's what the heart of the cards nonsense was, literally willing the perfect card to the top of his deck

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

This looks like it would be annoying as hell to play against.

It is. It's also annoying to play as.

And mirror matches are what I assume Hell's waiting room is like.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

It is. It's also annoying to play as.

And mirror matches are what I assume Hell's waiting room is like.

Remember all those horrible Matt Nass teshar decks from last season that culminated into Kethis nonsense?
The Ride Never Ends

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yugi has the superpower of cheating, that's what the heart of the cards nonsense was, literally willing the perfect card to the top of his deck

Not even that, but also things like the "I'LL ATTACK THE MOON TO AFFECT THE TIDE" nonsense that he just made up on the fly that also, somehow, works. Dude just plays the classic game of "I win" that little kids play where rules are changed and the only one that does not is that they will always win.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
To be fair the show was about a literal child who wants to hang with his friends and be super cool. It makes a lot more sense if you imagine it like that episode of south park where they all play ninjas.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the early card game was basically DND rules so if the DM would go hmm I'll allow it roll a dice then it'd work

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

Not even that, but also things like the "I'LL ATTACK THE MOON TO AFFECT THE TIDE" nonsense that he just made up on the fly that also, somehow, works. Dude just plays the classic game of "I win" that little kids play where rules are changed and the only one that does not is that they will always win.

Eh I was always willing to turn a blind eye to that since both players would do it and to be perfectly honest I love cheesy poo poo like attacking the moon or turning the game field into a labyrinth or using a time wizards power to turn a dragon into a fossil or...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ilmucche posted:

To be fair the show was about a literal child who wants to hang with his friends and be super cool. It makes a lot more sense if you imagine it like that episode of south park where they all play ninjas.

Yugi’s actually like, 17 or something. He’s just kind of short and childish looking. Flat out he and all his friends are in their last year of high school, Tea is looking at going to a professional dance school.

As for how this relates to Magic the Gathering. Seto Kaiba is based on a friend of the writer who played Magic the Gathering and was exactly that insufferable, but possibly not that cool. Given Kaiba once defeated a gun with a yugioh card. Not even magically, he threw the card to jam the hammer and then punched the guy in the face.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The friend I got into magic tried to get me into yugioh once but it was all counterfeit cards that read like nonsense because they were machine translated. My friend said it was ok because he had all the cards memorized anyway. Nevermind that he always tried to cheat at magic.

I'm going to imagine the anime is what would've happened if I played the game instead of calling bullshit.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm a couple of pages late but I would be so so down for a revolutionary Russia plane, although I think I'd have trouble playing anything but mono-red

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yugi’s actually like, 17 or something. He’s just kind of short and childish looking. Flat out he and all his friends are in their last year of high school, Tea is looking at going to a professional dance school.

As for how this relates to Magic the Gathering. Seto Kaiba is based on a friend of the writer who played Magic the Gathering and was exactly that insufferable, but possibly not that cool. Given Kaiba once defeated a gun with a yugioh card. Not even magically, he threw the card to jam the hammer and then punched the guy in the face.

Kaiba is the best part of Yugioh

The new movie had him rebuild the Millenium Puzzle to try to drag the Pharoah from heaven and when that didn’t work he makes a machine to send his mind to the loving afterlife for a rematch because he’s just so salty

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Yugioh Season 0 is the best because it's before the card game ever comes into it and Yugi is just a possessed teenager randomly murdering people who annoy him.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
wait, if the kid's name is Yugi then what is the card game called in-universe

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Duel Monsters

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Duel Monsters. Which is what the game is called in reality. Yu-Go-Oh! is just the franchise name.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
dang how come no one told me yugioh was lit

should i be speculating on yugioh cards instead of buying into Oko at $20 hoping he hits $40?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23OFXzy3lI

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kaiba is the best part of Yugioh

The new movie had him rebuild the Millenium Puzzle to try to drag the Pharoah from heaven and when that didn’t work he makes a machine to send his mind to the loving afterlife for a rematch because he’s just so salty

He absolutely is but that movie is kind of infuriating because it’s explicitly based on the manga continuity not the anime continuity. In the anime Kaiba is there for Yugi beating Pharaoh and recognises Yugi as a worthy rival.

In the Manga he disappears at the end of Battle City.

His best moment is in my opinion his backstory as a CEO and Owner of KaibaCorp when as an 8 year old he challenges a war profiteer weapons manufacturer to a game of chess and wins against a literal grandmaster, forcing him to adopt Seto and Mokuba. It then takes him 6 years to learn how to run Kaiba Corp and he proceeds to buy out his adoptive father, who is admittedly an rear end in a top hat, using a second chess game. At which point his adoptive father walked out of a window.

If Kaiba was a planeswalker he probably would’ve solved Nicol Bolas ages ago and would 100% defeat him by summoning a bunch of rad super powerful dragons. Possibly whilst piloting his Jet Engine shapes like a dragon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My favorite Kaiba moment is that entire insane hacking sequence in season 1. It is like the platonic ideal of 90s TV hacking

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

knockout posted:

dang how come no one told me yugioh was lit

should i be speculating on yugioh cards instead of buying into Oko at $20 hoping he hits $40?

:cawg:

The yugioh secondary market is something special

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Share! Share!

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Archenteron posted:

https://shop.tcgplayer.com/yugioh/world-championship-jpp-cards/blue-eyes-alternative-white-dragon?xid=i328fd14ab62c4ec88661398d298286c7

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Arivia posted:

Share! Share!

I only remember distinctly this comparison.

Wanna guess why one of these is 4 bucks and the other is 250?

So, Yugioh does this thing where if you win a tournament, you get a prize card. Which is exclusive to that tournament. And legal in tournaments.

Yes, Giant Hand was once, an 800 some dollar card, because it was tournament legal and also good in the meta it was relevant in.

And then they threw it in a tin, 2 years later.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

This whole time I thought Kaiba was named after Kai Budde

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tangential to this but

Wtf this card is so incredibly broken

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tangential to this but

Wtf this card is so incredibly broken

You'd think, wouldn't you? But having the Big Boys in your hand doesn't actually do much, and it's getting them out of there that's the tricky part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mythictalesmike/status/1177581825134419968