Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Has there ever been a halloween variant of a foodstuff that is actually superior to the original? I would say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Purple Prince posted:

Right wing politics, especially as pushed by tabloids and social media, isn't driven by analysis of policy positions but by appeals to emotion and tradition.

So of course this is the response you get.

I don't know if it's a :decorum: issue but the left is really bad at creating irrational, emotionally-charged propaganda compared to the right, and they might be more successful in terms of sheer numbers of voters if they were more open to manipulating people.

I think it's really just down to exposure, there is no exposure to left wing propaganda at all really unless you seek it out. Whereas walk into any newsagents and they all sell 5 types of Der Sturmer

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1177523509632913413?s=20

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

What the gently caress is this and why is it not being more widely reported. (Sorry if old news).

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/09/british-army-corporal-tweets-angela-rayner-will-perish-brexit-civil-war

quote:

A corporal in the British Army issued a death threat to a Labour MP and appeared to incite “civil war” on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon.

The corporal, whose Twitter account has now been deleted, wrote to Rayner: “Ohh gently caress off you stupid bitch” and said the MP would “perish when civil war comes and it’s coming”. The soldier ended the tweet by adding that “17.4 million people are gunning for blood if we don’t leave”.

quote:

The Ministry of Defence confirmed to the New Statesman this morning that the corporal "is a serving member of the Armed Forces”.

However, the MoD did not say that it would investigate the tweet, saying instead that it "has been referred to the civilian authorities to investigate."

Showing up as broken image in NS link now, but someone saved it:

Why is his name blurred out as if he's the one in need of protection here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We get these in Finland, one of my favorite. IMO a superior version of Oreos (which we also get):

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Purple Prince posted:

Right wing politics, especially as pushed by tabloids and social media, isn't driven by analysis of policy positions but by appeals to emotion and tradition.

So of course this is the response you get.

I don't know if it's a :decorum: issue but the left is really bad at creating irrational, emotionally-charged propaganda compared to the right, and they might be more successful in terms of sheer numbers of voters if they were more open to manipulating people.
idk pointing out that there's 4m people in deep poverty in the UK and kids are eating toilet paper because they're so hungry gets me pretty emotionally-charged. I'm not sure about the 'rational' bit because I'm sure that someone could Eliezer Yudkowsky their way into saying well actually that's good because... but like gently caress that.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I think it's really just down to exposure, there is no exposure to left wing propaganda at all really unless you seek it out. Whereas walk into any newsagents and they all sell 5 types of Der Sturmer
This too. Another Angry Voice, Anniversary of the Miners' Strike, Down With The Crown, The Canary, The Mirror, and the Morning Star also have a ton of appeals to emotion and (left) tradition. They're also wrong about stuff too, but the contrast is in the circulation and exposure, not whether they're more or less objectively correct than the Sun and the Mail.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Every other country has very weak biscuit game. I feel like that's the only real culinary strength of the UK

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Chocolate rarely lasts more than 2-3 days in my household.

White chocolate, on the other hand, I've had in the cupboard since Christmas. Not even in my most chocoholic, jonesing for a hit, itchy arms moments have I considered eating it for relief from cravings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Every other country has very weak biscuit game.
I'm not sure public school lads' culture is anything to be proud of.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just got round to listening to the latest pod, is it Swinson who exclusively pronounces it 'breggzit'? I'm far from a language proscriptivist, but that poo poo has the effect of a polystyrene squeak for me.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Chocolate orange is just a bad combination and you should feel bad for liking it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

xtothez posted:

Earlier this year I got a new computer desk from Ikea and that's definitely not cardboard. It's heavy as hell and I'm pretty sure they made it by melting down old Nokias and pouring them into a mold.

Is it the big black one with the tiers and the cut out in front? FRED or something like that.

I've got one of those and want to block in the cutout somehow.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Nice to know we support a heinous regime so adamantly. Tories meet Saudis, kettle meet pot.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I think there is definitely more to it than that though. The right will just lie, lie and lie again saying alarmist sensationalist bullshit until people are so whipped up that they are devoid of reason. The left just doesn't do that for the most part. Its not just even something that the bigger players do, its endemic all the way down to your average Joe fascist on the street. People who are on the right wing lie with such ease and reckless abandon.

Junior G-man posted:

Chocolate orange is just a bad combination and you should feel bad for liking it.

This is just wrong, you should feel bad. Terry's Chocolate Orange is a national treasure.

This is brilliant.
VVVV

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Every other country has very weak biscuit game. I feel like that's the only real culinary strength of the UK
counterpoint for hte USA

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Junior G-man posted:

Chocolate apple and chocolate banana on the other hand are surprisingly delish (Montezuma truffles, anyway). I don't even like banana

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

bump_fn posted:

counterpoint for hte USA

:stare:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I will chime in to say Australia has a decent biscuit game, but I only put that down to being in the commonwealth.

Also the independent’s brainworm crew are in full swing, you don’t even need the full paid article to start saying “uhhhh...”:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/uk-supreme-court-parliament-ruling-boris-johnson-brexit-a9121981.html

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

counterpoint for hte USA

Do elite private schools in the USA play the biscuit game with a scone or with a cracker?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

You’re going to hate this episode :getin:

Tsaedje posted:

Just got round to listening to the latest pod, is it Swinson who exclusively pronounces it 'breggzit'? I'm far from a language proscriptivist, but that poo poo has the effect of a polystyrene squeak for me.

Every loving one of them does it but she’s the worst. It’ll be her accent though, because I do that sometimes too.

Feel relieved that I barely exposed you to chukas pronunciation because fuckin helllllll

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Guavanaut posted:

Do elite private schools in the USA play the biscuit game with a scone or with a cracker?

a coffin

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Water crackers, so they get extra soggy but retain some snap.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I can't believe Barry Foster killed squishy Kirby

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reading that New Statesman piece and it has a good Bush article about polling https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/09/boris-johnsons-electoral-strategy-working-heres-why-its-so-hard-tell

Basically talking about how there's two types of polls, which he smirkingly calls "big Johnson" and "little Johnson" according to whether they show Johnson to be popular or not.

Of note, Survation, the only one that got the GE right, is part of little Johnson. But his analysis points to the fact that if big Johnson polls are accurate, this may actually be the worst-case scenario for Johnson, because if this is the best he can achieve in this environment, he has no further height to gain as he'd have to instead persuade Labour voters to vote Lib Dem or Green.

But how can he do that? Making Labour voters go Lib Dem instead would have to be over their Brexit stance, in which case he'd have to portray Corbyn as not as heavily Remain as current, which could peel back Brexit Party voters to Labour. And with the Greens he'd have to portray the Tories are more environmentally conscious, on par with Labour, which would peel voters off from the Tories to the Brexit Party.

Food for thought, certainly.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Haha, it fit so well and I am also overjoyed at being able to change my avatar easily again :D

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

To be fair though, white chocolate is gross. It may as well be sweetened condensed milk in bar form.

Dark chocolate on the other hand is the nectar of the chocolate gods straight from the teet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You’re going to hate this episode :getin:

Already heard it mate, there's going to be issues :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Can confirm.
Uk mass market biscuit game is real good.

I will drown in dark choc ginger nuts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Perhaps a hamster posted:

What the gently caress is this and why is it not being more widely reported. (Sorry if old news).

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/09/british-army-corporal-tweets-angela-rayner-will-perish-brexit-civil-war

Showing up as broken image in NS link now, but someone saved it:

Why is his name blurred out as if he's the one in need of protection here.

Jesus loving christ

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I'm a bit of a lurker so I hope you don't mind me asking for some opinions on a tenancy thing.

My landlord wants to change the carpets (not for good reasons) but I'm intending to move soon. I don't have anywhere to move to yet, but anticipate finding somewhere within a month's time. I don't want to have the disruption of the carpet change, only to be moving out shortly after. I want to tell the estate agent (I don't deal with the landlord) of my intention to leave so they can leave it til after I'm gone, but this would be before I could give my official notice so I'm concerned they could do something to mess with me before I find somewhere. Is it safe to be honest with them here? I'm a bit paranoid with tenancy issues.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

If that is the only way to succeed, then might as well burn the world.

Rarity posted:

Squishy Kirby was freaking me out. The eyes, man.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
white chocolate is one of those things where i can acknowledge that yes it is probably a crime against Real Chocolate or whatever but allegiance to Real Chocolate means nothing when i am shoving the sweet sugary goodness straight into my mouth. sorry i have loyalty to nothing but sucrose

also the white chocolate oranges were indeed great

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Deketh posted:

I'm a bit of a lurker so I hope you don't mind me asking for some opinions on a tenancy thing.

My landlord wants to change the carpets (not for good reasons) but I'm intending to move soon. I don't have anywhere to move to yet, but anticipate finding somewhere within a month's time. I don't want to have the disruption of the carpet change, only to be moving out shortly after. I want to tell the estate agent (I don't deal with the landlord) of my intention to leave so they can leave it til after I'm gone, but this would be before I could give my official notice so I'm concerned they could do something to mess with me before I find somewhere. Is it safe to be honest with them here? I'm a bit paranoid with tenancy issues.

What's your history with the agency? Have they been responsive to your requests before or really bad? Something like carpets are probably easier to do when the property isn't tenanted so they might be very keen to know they can do it fuss free in a short period of time but that depends entirely on the service they normally give.

You must have a pretty short agreement if a months notice is too long, I wouldn't necessarily worry about the timing too much there.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

All chocolate is good
I generally prefer milk and white but when I'm on one of my no sugar kicks and have been for a while dark chocolate becomes loving delicious

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Deketh posted:

just suggest to postpone the carpet change by a couple of months first and see what the response is

you can say that it would be easier for you to arrange around it in January without saying why

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

AceOfFlames posted:

If that is the only way to succeed, then might as well burn the world.
If literal science says that humans aren't as rational as they think they are then surely restricting ourselves to pure rationalism as a way to convince large groups of humans is itself irrational.

Whether you take that as "therefore we should appeal to their humanity rather than their rationality" or "might as well burn the world then" is up to you, but in my irrational opinion world burning is probably bad. :shrug:

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Does anyone have any recent newspaper sales figure trends? I need to persuade myself again that they're not long for this world.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think tactical voting is fine. You should do everything you can to prevent pro-Tory parties (Conservatives, DUP, Brexit, Lib Dems) from getting MPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Emotion is illogical, captain

*is desperately scared of being stabbed by rising floodwaters*