Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

J.A.B.C. posted:

Popehat has some bad opinions here and there but this is gold.
Yeah those are - they sound like jokes lawyers tell each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Rigel posted:

I see this a lot, but this is not true either. There might be 30-35 GOP votes in the Senate to throw Trump out if and only if the vote were both secret and if a magic spell were cast preventing anyone from claiming they voted no.

After this private vote Flake talks about, the CHUD horde would angrily demand who voted yes, and every GOP no vote would run screaming to the cameras that they voted no.

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1177424336774402048

It must be difficult to go through life so fearfully.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Any new polling? I fear that we are in our leftist bubble here, chuckling about how hosed Trump is while the average public doesn't care or for whatever stupid loving reason likes him more because of this. Would be good to get some numbers.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Majorian posted:

This is 100% real. I had to look it up to see for myself.

Remember just a couple days ago, when people were asking why some folks here were making GBS threads on Pelosi and saying that she's actually a loving coward who refused to lead until it was extremely convenient and easy? This is why. We knew these bullshit hagiographies were coming out.
No she was playing the long con waiting for the inevitable *checks notes* CIA coup of the President.

The whistleblower handed impeachment to her on a loving platter, and she still probably would have dragged her heels if Trump hadn't also gone on TV and admitted all the crimes as well.

If anything she's barricaded in her office trying to brainstorm some way - any way at all - to still gently caress this up.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Trump supporters lie in polls anyway.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Kill Bristol posted:

Any new polling? I fear that we are in our leftist bubble here, chuckling about how hosed Trump is while the average public doesn't care or for whatever stupid loving reason likes him more because of this. Would be good to get some numbers.

I wonder that too but it actually seems to be for real, and I think will only pass if the Democrats let up on him, and they can't overlook his bullshit this time. The Democrats are willing to work through recess and the same GOP excuses don't look like they'll hold like they did with Mueller. Someone earlier mentioned that Trump is easy to launder when he keeps his poo poo brief and mostly online but if he continues to have public meltdowns along with Guiliani then just enough Republicans might get shook just enough for us to roll over that dumb piece of poo poo.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

No she was playing the long con waiting for the inevitable *checks notes* CIA coup of the President.

The whistleblower handed impeachment to her on a loving platter, and she still probably would have dragged her heels if Trump hadn't also gone on TV and admitted all the crimes as well.

If anything she's barricaded in her office trying to brainstorm some way - any way at all - to still gently caress this up.

She can't have people attacking another establish Democrat or their family members in the way Trump has been but the longer this draws out the worse it makes Biden look so she's between a rock and a hard place.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kill Bristol posted:

Brian Williams (or maybe Lawerence O’Donnell, doesn’t really matter) reported tonight that a recent poll since the whistleblower report first broke last week shows that public support for impeachment has followed a similar vertical trajectory as it has among House Democrats. So yeah, people are getting onboard with getting Trump the gently caress out.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rigel posted:

I see this a lot, but this is not true either. There might be 30-35 GOP votes in the Senate to throw Trump out if and only if the vote were both secret and if a magic spell were cast preventing anyone from claiming they voted no.

After this private vote Flake talks about, the CHUD horde would angrily demand who voted yes, and every GOP no vote would run screaming to the cameras that they voted no.

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1177424336774402048
Yeah, they'd lie. And what would it matter as long as they voted Yes in the trail? Trump would still be convicted.

As long as like ten vote aquit they can claim I was one of the loyal ten later, while gleefully voting to convict now.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 27, 2019

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I can’t show pictures unfortunately but I’m doing an internship at a museum and in the back catalogue they just showed me a mummy head that looked eerily like Rudy Giuliani.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, they'd lie. And what would it matter as long as they voted Yes in the trail? Trump would still be convicted.

As long as like ten vote aquit they can claim I was one of the loyal ten later, while gleefully voting to convict now.
This is all hypothetical though isn't it...? Would a verdict vote even be a secret ballot? What's the precedent? Is it up to the turtle? If so, does he think his interests are divested enough from donny's to allow a secret ballot?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

This is all hypothetical though isn't it...? Would a verdict vote even be a secret ballot? What's the precedent? Is it up to the turtle? If so, does he think his interests are divested enough from donny's to allow a secret ballot?

I think even 4 GOP senators who wanted to could ram it through with the Dems. That would be a public vote though.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

BigglesSWE posted:

I can’t show pictures unfortunately but I’m doing an internship at a museum and in the back catalogue they just showed me a mummy head that looked eerily like Rudy Giuliani.

That explains a lot! Have you actually checked to see if the mummy is in the museum - or if it's "missing"?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Kidney Stone posted:

That explains a lot! Have you actually checked to see if the mummy is in the museum - or if it's "missing"?

It was next to a bunch of mummified crocodile babies.

Now I’m not the one to tag along the whole lizard overlord thing but... :tinfoil:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Inferior Third Season posted:

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1177335274591916045

Alkydere posted:

I think you're overlooking one major thing when doing the Trump:Reagan functional Alzheimer's comparison.

Reagan was a Hollywood-level actor before he got into politics. Playing a role and speaking to an audience/camera was second nature and literally his job for a good chunk of his adult life.

Trump was a coddled real estate developer/"tycoon". It's a different job with different expectations (not that Trump did any of those expectations). Mainly all Trump had to do was boss people around and be confident. He could be a verbal klutz as long as he had the illusion of wealth to support his lifestyle and lie that he was a super genius.

Yes, this is what I said. Reagan talk good, Trump talk bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cable Guy posted:

The impeachment rules* say it's a standard vote with yea and nay being tallied. Interesting to note that as written, they're not required to vote on a specific threshold number of articles if there is more than one, e.g. the case cited:

quote:

When the presentation of evidence and argument by the managers and counsel for the respondent has concluded, the Senate as a whole meets in closed session to deliberate. Voting on whether to convict on the articles of impeachment commences upon return to open session, with yeas and nays being tallied as to each article separately.A conviction on an article of impeachment requires a two-thirds vote of those Senators present. If the respondent is convicted on one or more of the articles against him or her, the Presiding Officer will pronounce the judgment of conviction and removal. No formal vote is required for removal, as it is a necessary effect of the conviction. The Senate need not vote on all of the articles before it. Where an individual has already been convicted on one or more of the articles, the Senate may decide that subsequent votes on the remaining articles are unnecessary. Conversely, when the Senate did not convict President Andrew Johnson in the votes on three of the articles of impeachment against him, the Senate did not vote on the remaining articles.

The Senate may subsequently vote on whether the impeached official shall be disqualified from again holding an office of public trust under the United States. If this option is pursued, a simple majority vote is required.

nb: they gently caress with the rules when they can get away with it so :shrug:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you think the other world leaders ever laugh about Trump together in private?

In private? Hey everyone, remember that time the UN laughed in Trumps face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoZXoQ0390

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Flesh Forge posted:

The impeachment rules* say it's a standard vote with yea and nay being tallied. Interesting to note that as written, they're not required to vote on a specific threshold number of articles if there is more than one, e.g. the case cited:

nb: they gently caress with the rules when they can get away with it so :shrug:

this sounds almost like McConnell could just say "the senate chooses not to vote on any of the articles, since we all know they'll never pass *🐢wink*"

I mean, given this bullshit with Garland's seat, I would not put it past him.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

ewiley posted:

this sounds almost like McConnell could just say "the senate chooses not to vote on any of the articles, since we all know they'll never pass *🐢wink*"

https://www.lawfareblog.com/can-senate-decline-try-impeachment-case

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ewiley posted:

It really would not surprise me if he just says "wull CLEARLY there's no point in wasting our time on these blatantly false accusations, no vote required, TIME FOR LUNCH"

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Would a Trump impeachment, unlikely as it is, actually bar him from getting elected to a second term?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

It really would not surprise me if he just says "wull CLEARLY there's no point in wasting our time on these blatantly false accusations, no vote required, TIME FOR LUNCH"

This would be worse for him than if he rushed through a vote in 20 minutes.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Would a Trump impeachment, unlikely as it is, actually bar him from getting elected to a second term?

I'm not sure; but given that he'd be dealing with several state-level crimes the minute he no longer holds the Presidency AND he'd be pushing 80 by the time he got to run again, I'm not sure he'd be capable of doing it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
e: sorry, doublepost.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This would be worse for him than if he rushed through a vote in 20 minutes.

I'd like to believe that, but on the other hand, Merrick Garland.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

This isn't that. Sitting on an impeachment vote will hurt any GOP senator who's even remotely vulnerable, moreso even than if they cast a vote that pissed off the chuds. McConnell wants this to go away. Sitting on it will achieve the opposite effect--and remember, Mitch himself is up for reelection in November, so holding a snap vote to exonerate Lord Pissbaby will help him out far more than ignoring it and hoping it goes away.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

And that's both hurt and helped him. He's running on it in Kentucky, but that only appeals to the Fox News crowd who don't give a poo poo and hated Obama. That move turned off a lot of people in his home state, which shows in his approval numbers.

Now we're doing an impeachment, where every single news source is going to be saturated with coverage. It's not just Fox news; it will be every paper on every newstand at the gas station, it'll be on the radio, it'll be on local news. It will penetrate the Fox News sphere. And it looks loving awful for the President, and it's very easy to understand.

If McConnell blocks this, that will all be on him. He might save the rest of the vulnerable republican senators, but he would possibly eat poo poo for it.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

drat, yeah, the US government really is just a bunch of gentlemen's agreements and assumptions of good faith that just breaks down when you have pernicious actors like McConnell in power with unbeatable majorities and a willingness to thumb their nose at the rest of the country.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

7c Nickel posted:

In private? Hey everyone, remember that time the UN laughed in Trumps face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoZXoQ0390

Trump cultivating blatant disrespect for American power, the true anti-imperialist president

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Inferior Third Season posted:

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

I appreciate this even if the others thought you were talking about Edward.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

I'm waiting to see him crash and burn. He will positively do the non literal version of dousing everything in gas and burning it down. Maybe with an attempt at the literal version

He thinks the Republican party's entire job at this point is to protect him. If it looks like they're going to get rid of him, hes going to try to bring the entire Republican party with him.

He got kind of flustered the other day and implicated pence. Who knows what will come out of his rotted pumpkin head if the end really comes?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
https://twitter.com/realpresssecbot/status/1177541365191692288

Trump is mad about the difference between Little, Liddle, and Liddle’

Joke option of Liddle-

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

mdemone posted:

I appreciate this even if the others thought you were talking about Edward.

Catch 22 is unjustifiably unread today.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177539052683309056
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177543513015246852
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177543516236500997
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177548939207352320
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177548941644238851

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
That's, uh... Lot to unpack there.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I think he might be mad.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Meatball posted:

He thinks the Republican party's entire job at this point is to protect him. If it looks like they're going to get rid of him, hes going to try to bring the entire Republican party with him.

He got kind of flustered the other day and implicated pence. Who knows what will come out of his rotted pumpkin head if the end really comes?

It basically is. Trump is the GOPs last cling to power. They need an executive who will sign all their bullshit bills and stack courts with their ghouls to keep their power despite not having the majority pretty much anywhere in the US. If the GOP tosses Trump after feeding their base all that red meat it’ll totally destroy them at this point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

wo-kay then

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Catch 22 is unjustifiably unread today.

I'm slightly upset that I didn't recognize the reference to my favourite book of all time.

I guess I better start reading it again.

Also Trump sure know how to sound innocent: "It was very legal, you guys!"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Donald's writing these on his phone while he's in the bathroom right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Who is standing outside my office yelling at me to resign?

I will never resign.