Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

While you're hankering for malt loaf, give some lovely Bara Brith a try

e:

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

If you have to respond to AoF, leave the quote empty so that the rest of us don't have to read his deluded, self-pitying drivel.

Where's the entertainment in that?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

lol SNP have officially declared they will support a caretaker Corbyn premiership to extend A50 and the Lib Dems immediately came out saying no, Jo Swinson will save us

*parties come together to support Corbyn as interim PM*

Swinson: "We could never support such a divisive figure."

ffs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Necrothatcher posted:

*parties come together to support Corbyn as interim PM*

Swinson: "We could never support such a divisive figure."

ffs

Always nice when the mask comes off

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

mrpwase posted:

Why does evil exist in the world?

Because our hosed up reptile brains make us hurt each other a lot. As for why we have such hosed up brains in the first place, we can probably trace that back to the first unicellular beings that had a mutation that allowed them to consume resources from other living things, and that was reallllly good for them since it was a shortcut, so they multiplied and survived and passed on their genes, and the evolutionary arms race has shaped living things into rather violent things, including us, who have gone on to use a general purpose neural network that was really good for survival and hunting into a thing that builds ever more creative implements of violence, some reaching scary proportions.

On the other hand though we are certainly capable of cooperation and good things and art and music and unconditional love, so if we manage to survive this Great Filter before us, I'm sure we'll find a way to use the technology we've developed to tone down that hosed up reptile brain and become something else, something better. Outlook not good though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Swinson is more likely to back a Tory government and less likely to back a Labour one than quite a few Tories.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

lol SNP have officially declared they will support a caretaker Corbyn premiership to extend A50 and the Lib Dems immediately came out saying no, Jo Swinson will save us

My broken brain now believes that the Lib Dems actually want no deal so they can make big gains in a general election running on rejoining the EU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I want to say I am shocked at the libdems.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

High fashion already annoys me, so when the owner of Louis Vuitton and other overpriced lovely brands speaks on behalf of all young people, saying Greta is demoralising kids by being a catastrophist I want to throw red paint all over the place.

Shut the gently caress uuuuuuup old gits.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1177549026562121728

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

My broken brain now believes that the Lib Dems actually want no deal so they can make big gains in a general election running on rejoining the EU
Wouldn't rejoining the EU be the worst idea though? Like we could probably keep out of the Euro but there's no way we're getting that rebate or Shengen exemption back.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

High fashion already annoys me, so when the owner of Louis Vuitton and other overpriced lovely brands speaks on behalf of all young people, saying Greta is demoralising kids by being a catastrophist I want to throw red paint all over the place.

Shut the gently caress uuuuuuup old gits.

Well of course. Kids need to keep their morale up for much more important things:

https://twitter.com/LouisVuitton/status/1176071990047846401

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1176043542290063360

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

Agree.

Something that I have thought about a lot lately that's tangentially related: why do right wingers succeed? In part it's network effects and 'lol gently caress u got mine', but that mentality seems to be genuinely useful in succeeding under capitalism.

Right wing ideas like the just world hypothesis and the idea that everything that happens to you is your own responsibility are also indicators of mental health. Now whether this is because mental health is about adjusting to the world as it is I don't know, but it's a sad fact that left wing ideas like "systems and collectives determine outcomes more than individual behaviour or merit" are also depressive.

Because the ultimate goal of the right wingers is to support the ruling classes, and the ruling classes hold the power in society. This obviously incentivizes them to stack the deck in favour of right-wing parties.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

Wouldn't rejoining the EU be the worst idea though? Like we could probably keep out of the Euro but there's no way we're getting that rebate or Shengen exemption back.

The Lib Dems indirectly putting this country into a worse situation due to poorly thought out policies? Well I never!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

Well of course. Kids need to keep their morale up for much more important things:

https://twitter.com/LouisVuitton/status/1176071990047846401

League of Loungers. Typical that they’re using kids to promote their bra... oh wait they do that in sweatshops already.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HauntedRobot posted:

Just got back from Berlin and they have Jaffa cakes in all kinds of flavours over there and I dunno I think this might be the hill I die on

There’s a bunch of flavors of Jaffa cakes at our local Asian super market and also a local polish supermarket so maybe you’ll find more variety in those sort of places

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

To be honest they just want no deal for the more cynical and selfish reason that it gives them short term electoral popularity.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

To be honest they just want no deal for the more cynical and selfish reason that it gives them short term electoral popularity.

Its amazing how much of a one note party they are, they are the Brexit party for Remain, but with MP's.
If Brexit ever finally does get sorted, I want to see how fast people bleed away from them back to the main parties, they are getting by as the Remain protest vote just as the Brexit party are the Leave vote.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Personally I think Chukka Umunna should be the next caretaker PM, he’s respected by the house and all three main parties and has nearly 10 years experience in politics. This makes him the ideal choice. I’m legally required to state this post paid for by chukka4pm ltd

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Purple Prince posted:

Agree.

Something that I have thought about a lot lately that's tangentially related: why do right wingers succeed? In part it's network effects and 'lol gently caress u got mine', but that mentality seems to be genuinely useful in succeeding under capitalism.

Right wing ideas like the just world hypothesis and the idea that everything that happens to you is your own responsibility are also indicators of mental health. Now whether this is because mental health is about adjusting to the world as it is I don't know, but it's a sad fact that left wing ideas like "systems and collectives determine outcomes more than individual behaviour or merit" are also depressive.

i'd say its in part due to how right wing and left wing arguments are formulated? like, a lot of right wing ideas prey on the emotion of fear - fear of change, fear of the unknown. which is quite easy to stoke up because its one of our utterly base instincts - this ties into how a lot of right wing stuff comes down to tribalism. our monkey brains still think we live in a big tribe and we distrust and fear anything from outside of it. but i suppose left wing ideas more come from the emotion of compassion or empathy - social justice, etc. we all have the ability within us to feel these emotions and have these responses, but when times are tough and things are starting to get bad - like we have now - people are more likely to kneejerk to fear rather than compassion? im not sure, this is kind of rambly but some ideas that have been rattling around my head.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Rarity posted:

Where do you stand on chocolate oranges? :thunkher:

Never had any but the combination of chocolate and orange sounds disgusting.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

*nods head sagely* hmm, yes, yes. A bad opinion, i understand.

(Chocolate and orange is nice but if you don’t like it fair enough)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

CptAwesome posted:

i'd say its in part due to how right wing and left wing arguments are formulated? like, a lot of right wing ideas prey on the emotion of fear - fear of change, fear of the unknown. which is quite easy to stoke up because its one of our utterly base instincts - this ties into how a lot of right wing stuff comes down to tribalism. our monkey brains still think we live in a big tribe and we distrust and fear anything from outside of it. but i suppose left wing ideas more come from the emotion of compassion or empathy - social justice, etc. we all have the ability within us to feel these emotions and have these responses, but when times are tough and things are starting to get bad - like we have now - people are more likely to kneejerk to fear rather than compassion? im not sure, this is kind of rambly but some ideas that have been rattling around my head.

This is poorly reflected in the current Brexit debate where the right wing are frothing at the bit for one of the most disruptive, un-Conservative constitutional changes in recent history, and paint the left as fear mongerers who want to scare you into the status quo.

I think it's not about fear but about cognitive dissonance and easy answers. The right will tell you that it your poverty is an entrenched systemic problem that needs to be addressed with radical social upheaval, but that immigrants did it and remoaners are holding you back. It's much more tempting to believe than the left wing perspective even though it's wrong.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1177550449425227777

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/1177568642332053510

Just gonnae keep this guy coming on after demanding riots.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

im not mad im actually laugnhing

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

bump_fn posted:

im not mad im actually laugnhing

I enjoy being bodyslammed by 11 perfect judges.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
"Actually, I'm laughing right now" ~ Dom Cummies

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1177577125651656706?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tinied for brendanthought

Some riots are good, some are actually very terrible, what could be the difference? :thunk:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
It pisses me off that the Lib Dems are now the main barrier from getting a Corbyn caretaker government and a new referendum. Something they've been calling for over the last three years.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Looks like her Maj is even weighing in.

https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1177577125651656706?s=21

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Where's the entertainment in that?

being exposed to AoF unexpectedly actually has negative entertainment value

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

being exposed to AoF unexpectedly actually has negative entertainment value

Yes, but exposing AoF to people who have him ignored? Quite entertaining.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Farage Getting milkshake on him: Fascism, proof that the left are thugs, terrifying.

Demanding yer gran pans in Greggs because no crashing out of the EU yet is hurting billionaire paedophiles portfolios: Good, actually. Robust debate. The Elites had it coming.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Love to be the BBC reality check team writing an article about MPs receiving threats and focus on Jess Philips and Jo Swinson and have absolutely no mention of Diane Abbot

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tsaedje posted:

Love to be the BBC reality check team writing an article about MPs receiving threats and focus on Jess Philips and Jo Swinson and have absolutely no mention of Diane Abbot

Well to be fair and balanced that's not primarily because she's an MP, as such.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jimmydalad posted:

Not sure we can this type in the thread, lasses. Time to call in the Stasi.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I referenced Panda Pops in small talk to the cafe lady here, she is maybe 18 or 19 and asked me what they were

I am old.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I can’t wait for a labour win so that all of the placed BBC execs and Government shills are thrown to the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Flayer posted:

Hilarious how both Johnsons siblings have now taken turns throwing him under the bus.

You have to be truly awful for something like that to happen.

Oh you really need to youtube "Paul Gosar"!