Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

twice burned ice posted:

Did you really just describe Pence as competent

yeah, I did. If Trump hypothetically listened to him every morning and dutifully followed all of his advice, there would now be far fewer scandals and not a chance in hell he'd be impeached.

I mean, you got to grade it on a curve, I said "only", not "very". In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. (Except in this case we have a fat orange blind guy who occasionally slaps him, yells at him to shut up, and says "we're taking this other path, he doesn't know where he's going!")

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

They do not have a war room; there was an article yesterday that said as much. Trump is doing nothing to prepare for this, much like everything else in his life.
It’s worked for him so far in his life, so I can’t really blame him

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

PT6A posted:

Calling your wife "mother" is still creepy af even if you're around a bunch of conservative dinosaurs I guess.

https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/1177594279629348869

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
I've been wondering how much Mitch's fractured shoulder from losing a fight with his floor is hampering the Senate Republicans here since for all we know, he's taking a lot of medications for pain.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s worked for him so far in his life, so I can’t really blame him
Maybe Trump has discovered the limit for dumb rich White dudes failing upwards.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Pence at least listens to what the big money donors to the GOP want him to do. Those people at least have some sort of coherent strategic vision even if it's poo poo for everyone but them.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mooseontheloose posted:

To expand, how do you defend:
-Bribing a foreign official
-Bribing a foreign official to take out a political opponent
-LITERALLY sell out the United States so you can cling to power

It's not a bribe. The money had already been raised for Ukraine and was withheld. The word you're looking for is extortion.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:yeshaha:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rigel posted:

lol, this is absolutely false for at least 1/3 to 1/2 the GOP in the Senate. (Less so for the gerrymandered house). They loving hate Trump for putting themselves in danger while forcing them to defend someone they feel is well beneath them. They are forced to hold a rictus grin while standing next to him hoping they don't get primaried.

This. Most of the establishment GOP would throw Trump under the nearest bus as soon as they could. He puts them in the worst possible position constantly: back Trump to the hilt and galvanize the democrats to vote your rear end out, or try to take even a slightly moderate position and get primaried by a Trumpist lunatic on the right.

As we saw in 2018, support for Trump does not equal support for the GOP. Many Trumpists are all in for him and him alone, and the rest of the GOP gets hung out to dry because they are all "RINOs".

I could very well see the establishment GOP turning on Trump if they see a good way of finally blasting him out of the airlock

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So an impeachment inquiry has more "teeth" right? Rudy can't just cross his arms and say "nuh-uh", he can be held in contempt or arrested if he doesn't show up?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's not a bribe. The money had already been raised for Ukraine and was withheld. The word you're looking for is extortion.

Not only that but it wasn’t discretionary funding either. This was money that congress specifically said to give to Ukraine.

So not only did Trump extort a foreign nation but he broke as many rules as he could along the way.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rigel posted:

yeah, I did. If Trump hypothetically listened to him every morning and dutifully followed all of his advice, there would now be far fewer scandals and not a chance in hell he'd be impeached.

I mean, you got to grade it on a curve, I said "only", not "very". In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. (Except in this case we have a fat orange blind guy who occasionally slaps him, yells at him to shut up, and says "we're taking this other path, he doesn't know where he's going!")

I'll give you that point. The absolute best you could paint Pence would be as a brainless, spineless toady willing to do whatever the GOP/Donors tell him too.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Snuffman posted:

So an impeachment inquiry has more "teeth" right? Rudy can't just cross his arms and say "nuh-uh", he can be held in contempt or arrested if he doesn't show up?

Pretty sure that arrests are still difficult, they can just easily fine the hell out of him

To the tune of tens of thousands per day off they wish

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Snuffman posted:

We'll see!

How the House and the courts respond to the inevitable stonewalling and refusals to even show up will determine how everything goes (more so than the stonewalling and refusals to show up so far). The law is clear, but that doesn't mean so much anymore.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Snuffman posted:

Technically no, congress always had those powers and never bothered to use them.

Actually yes, because the stakes mean if congress doesn't enforce their ability to hold witnesses in contempt for impeachment they've ceded all investigative power forever.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Snuffman posted:

My understanding is that is give the House more weight in the inevitable court battle. A subpoena as part of an impeachment inquiry has better legal backing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Snuffman posted:

Rudy can’t help but talk.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177579380819845120

WHISTLEBLOWER ISNT A WHISTLEBLOWER ARGLEBARGLE

Edit: ooof full blown narc paranoia is here and ho boi is it a doozy

Ahhh the attempt-to-start-a-civil-war-before-they-impeach-you strat

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1177605111343919105

sucks the supreme court would never order them released.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Retro42 posted:

My understanding is that is give the House more weight in the inevitable court battle. A subpoena as part of an impeachment inquiry has better legal backing.

Generally, a congressional subpoena needs to be be in pursuit of a valid legislative purpose. It also needs to be relevant to whatever area the committee or sub-committee has been authorized to handle. A broad impeachment inquiry makes those two requirements much easier to meet.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Snuffman posted:

It all but removes any executive privilege or national security claims that the administration could make and puts the executive in a much weaker legal situation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1177595360103096320

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1177607195149647873

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1177605111343919105

sucks the supreme court would never order them released.

Couldn't they argue that they should be released like Nixon's tapes? Or does the classification gently caress with that?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Meatball posted:

Couldn't they argue that they should be released like Nixon's tapes? Or does the classification gently caress with that?

the court is packed with partisan hacks.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sure does seem like the calculus is to push for actual removal.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

TulliusCicero posted:

This. Most of the establishment GOP would throw Trump under the nearest bus as soon as they could. He puts them in the worst possible position constantly: back Trump to the hilt and galvanize the democrats to vote your rear end out, or try to take even a slightly moderate position and get primaried by a Trumpist lunatic on the right.

As we saw in 2018, support for Trump does not equal support for the GOP. Many Trumpists are all in for him and him alone, and the rest of the GOP gets hung out to dry because they are all "RINOs".

I could very well see the establishment GOP turning on Trump if they see a good way of finally blasting him out of the airlock

It occurs to me that part of the calculus for the Republicans might be "is it too late to primary me this cycle now?"

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Retro42 posted:

His home state wants nothing to do with him.
They seemed OK with him being VP since Trump/Pence won Indiana. Wouldn't they have been less supportive if they truly didn't like him?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Meatball posted:

they can subpoena anything they reasonably believe is related to their investigation(s) (this has no bearing on whether *we* actually see many of these documents, though, as there'd be very obvious arguments that anything that properly was kept confidential should remain that way)

and no matter what the nothing mattersers in this thread say, John Roberts is not going to overturn U.S. v. Nixon in an election year for the dying gasps of the Trump presidency, which he already obviously hates, and guaran-loving-tee that the Court gets packed.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

RuanGacho posted:

It occurs to me that part of the calculus for the Republicans might be "is it too late to primary me this cycle now?"

It is. If they come out against strong daddy they get primaried by some drooling loon

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Crows Turn Off posted:

They seemed OK with him being VP since Trump/Pence won Indiana. Wouldn't they have been less supportive if they truly didn't like him?

There are like 6 people that care who they VP is and they all write opinion columns for major newspapers

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

they can subpoena anything they reasonably believe is related to their investigation(s) (this has no bearing on whether *we* actually see many of these documents, though, as there'd be very obvious arguments that anything that properly was kept confidential should remain that way)

and no matter what the nothing mattersers in this thread say, John Roberts is not going to overturn U.S. v. Nixon in an election year for the dying gasps of the Trump presidency, which he already obviously hates, and guaran-loving-tee that the Court gets packed.

This is kind of a mixed case for Roberts. I'm sure he has no love for Trump, and he is always dancing his apolitical court two step, but also genuinely believes in the imperial presidency.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crows Turn Off posted:

2008 was the only time since johnson's landslide in 64 that the dem won indiana (and obama only took it by 19,000 votes).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I don't really see a way for the supreme court to deny releasing the records without getting majorly hosed by the currently energized democracts

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

This is kind of a mixed case for Roberts. I'm sure he has no love for Trump, and he is always dancing his apolitical court two step, but also genuinely believes in the imperial presidency.

if he wouldn't rule in trump's favor in the census there's no way he takes an even more dangerous case in an even more dangerous time for him

that's not to say Roberts won't take a case that presents legitimately novel issues related to impeachment - but if Trump is doing things that precedent from Nixon clearly forbids, no way they intervene to save his rear end

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Telsa Cola posted:

I don't really see a way for the supreme court to deny releasing the records without getting majorly hosed by the currently energized democracts
There is always the possibility that the Dems will gently caress up because they are idiot cowards.

Chuck might bump his head and get a message from the Baileys.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

Would US v Nixon apply if it's a congressional subpoena in the pursuit of an impeachment inquiry? Would SCOTUS not just say "ehhh that's a political question and congress can just impeach the executive if he refuses to turn over evidence that is duly subpoened" ?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mooseontheloose posted:

The other difference between now and 2016 is that the President is an actual known quantity now. People (stupidly) thought it was bluster or convinced themselves that he wasn't that bad. You can't say that anymore. Here it is, in the flesh, he is that bad. His approval ratings were abysmal before this, now it's just more proof he sucks.

Somewhat tangential to your point, but it reminds me: I think a lot of us assumed Trump was smart enough to put layers of fall guys between himself and Putin so that he wouldn't be directly implicated. But it turns out that's just because he wasn't president yet. Now that he has a direct line to foreign leaders, he just picks up the phone and colludes whenever he wants.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

It'd be a massive push for the Democrats to maybe finally realize court packing needs to happen yesterday and also get even more Dem votes-- both from existing voters and for new/non-voters driven to action.

Denying their release would be A Big loving Deal™ and even as political hacks, I have to imagine supreme Court judges are smart enough to play a longer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sir Lemming posted:

Somewhat tangential to your point, but it reminds me: I think a lot of us assumed Trump was smart enough to put layers of fall guys between himself and Putin so that he wouldn't be directly implicated. But it turns out that's just because he wasn't president yet. Now that he has a direct line to foreign leaders, he just picks up the phone and colludes whenever he wants.

Partly this, but it's also important to remember he had a LOT more people around him when he started that protected him from himself. He's been paring down anyone who'd inhibit his impulses, so now we're seeing just how goddamn stupid unshielded Trump really is.