Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Herewaard posted:

Would US v Nixon apply if it's a congressional subpoena in the pursuit of an impeachment inquiry? Would SCOTUS not just say "ehhh that's a political question and congress can just impeach the executive if he refuses to turn over evidence that is duly subpoened" ?

I can't imagine the whitehouse could say 'nuh uh' after they released one call transcript and not release all the others for Congress to review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Friendly reminder that classifying something doesn't keep Congress from being able to read it, like, at all. It's a non-obstacle for them.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Snuffman posted:

So an impeachment inquiry has more "teeth" right? Rudy can't just cross his arms and say "nuh-uh", he can be held in contempt or arrested if he doesn't show up?

even if they testify, we know from the mueller report they're not afraid to lie under oath.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

They seemed OK with him being VP since Trump/Pence won Indiana. Wouldn't they have been less supportive if they truly didn't like him?

Him being selected as VP ended his re-election campaign for Governor. They wanted to reward Trump for taking him off their hands. (Oh and its a lovely red state)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

eke out posted:

they can subpoena anything they reasonably believe is related to their investigation(s) (this has no bearing on whether *we* actually see many of these documents, though, as there'd be very obvious arguments that anything that properly was kept confidential should remain that way)

and no matter what the nothing mattersers in this thread say, John Roberts is not going to overturn U.S. v. Nixon in an election year for the dying gasps of the Trump presidency, which he already obviously hates, and guaran-loving-tee that the Court gets packed.

Roberts could also see that the republicans will get a perma-majority and lock on political power if he backs Trump on this as well. From his decisions he already cares little about democratic institutions and this may be the golden opportunity to end them in favor of the GOP

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Herewaard posted:

Would US v Nixon apply if it's a congressional subpoena in the pursuit of an impeachment inquiry? Would SCOTUS not just say "ehhh that's a political question and congress can just impeach the executive if he refuses to turn over evidence that is duly subpoened" ?

it's a different factual scenario but Nixon sets out how a court should handle the question of whether the executive must respond to subpoenas for potentially privileged communications and rebuts the idea of any "absolute privilege" that he can assert against this.

in the hypothetical i'm suggesting, we'd probably end up with an opinion from the DC Circuit saying basically "nixon applies here and you must produce it" and then the supreme court would deny cert to dodge the case

Feldegast42 posted:

Roberts could also see that the republicans will get a perma-majority and lock on political power if he backs Trump on this as well.

lol if you think that a massive political intervention to save trump in an election year by changing the law would somehow give the republicans a "perma-majority"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crows Turn Off posted:

They seemed OK with him being VP since Trump/Pence won Indiana. Wouldn't they have been less supportive if they truly didn't like him?

That got Pence away from Indiana.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's not a bribe. The money had already been raised for Ukraine and was withheld. The word you're looking for is extortion.

it was also a bribe too. he added I think 100 million more to sweeten the deal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feldegast42 posted:

Roberts could also see that the republicans will get a perma-majority and lock on political power if he backs Trump on this as well. From his decisions he already cares little about democratic institutions and this may be the golden opportunity to end them in favor of the GOP

Doing this would immediately make restructuring the court the #1 election issue and hand the entire country to the Democrats. There is only so much outrage that voting law shenanigans can contain.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Atlanta climate protests going well - finally finding a use for all those loving e-scooters.

https://twitter.com/VitalistInt/status/1177603334766759936

https://twitter.com/VitalistInt/status/1177608670965882888

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

And only time we chill is when we kill each other
It takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh
It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact

Groovelord Neato posted:

the court is packed with partisan hacks.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Y’know, one thing that may be adding to the WH panic is that it’s unlikely anyone involved, Trump included, knows exactly what their exposure is if the inquiry gets into the other records of incompetent corruption that nigh-certainly exist. A side effect of how they tried to bury information is that there’s gonna be a real clear record of who accesses what when. So if you’re one of them going “wait, wasn’t he also that stupidly overt on that other call?” you can’t go confirm without the rest of the poker table seeing that you double-checked your cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
drat I don’t want this week to end.

Is infrastructure week next!?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Washington Post is a having a 70% off flash sale today coincidently while #CancelNYTimes is trending.

Please don't subscribe to the WaPo though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eviltastic posted:

Y’know, one thing that may be adding to the WH panic is that it’s unlikely anyone involved, Trump included, knows exactly what their exposure is if the inquiry gets into the other records of incompetent corruption that nigh-certainly exist. A side effect of how they tried to bury information is that there’s gonna be a real clear record of who accesses what when. So if you’re one of them going “wait, wasn’t he also that stupidly overt on that other call?” you can’t go confirm without the rest of the poker table seeing that you double-checked your cards.

I mean - it would be very, very difficult for it not to be more like Nixon's tapes.

Except it's way harder for them to erase them

Mahoning posted:

The Washington Post is a having a 70% off flash sale today coincidently while #CancelNYTimes is trending.

Please don't subscribe to the WaPo though.
I think that's silly - WaPo does more good than harm.

Abolish all opinion sections, though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

These were the characteristics that made him appealing to voters.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

eviltastic posted:

Take it a step further and think if Trump ordered them deleted or edited.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

Roberts is smart enough to know that in the very long run (which is how he needs to look at things) the GOP is driving themselves into the ditch of being a small regional southern party with no power. Maybe not now, maybe not in 8 years, but eventually. If they throw the Dems enough bones here and there, he can peel off enough Dems to go "ehhh.... I don't feel good about packing the courts, lets just keep it at 9". That gives him room to fire the occasional bullet at the very important decisions he really cares about. He doesn't have to give a drat about protecting someone who is likely out soon when it doesn't advance his goals anyway.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

eviltastic posted:

donald trump ferverishly printing out the server logs and burning them

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hi all,

So another goon brought this up earlier it I wanted to reiterate. The most important thing we can do is call our senators/congress people to keep the pressure up and investigate this to the max.

I live in a very blue state, but still left messages encouraging my reps to keep it up until Trump is (hopefully) removed. If you live in a lovely red state keep calling! Let them know they are cowards. Ditto if you have an idiot blue rep that hasn’t “decided” yet.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Two days later and the GOP still doesn’t have a coherent narrative.

Hard to get ahead of it all with a narrative when the WH drops notes they’ve edited to be the best possible light for Trump that only verify the complaint as accurate then accidentally send out your lockstep talking points ahead of time to every democrat :laffo: not to mention pretty much everything America’s Mayor has been doing

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Retro42 posted:

Take it a step further and think if Trump ordered them deleted or edited.

Pretty sure the system they're stored in makes it almost impossible to delete or edit them now

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bottom Liner posted:

drat I don’t want this week to end.

Is infrastructure week next!?

Infrastructure Week can never being if it never ends... :rip:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

thank god the president and everyone around him is so stupid. they just handed over the evidence. kinda hard to get your mind around.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Pretty sure the system they're stored in makes it almost impossible to delete or edit them now

Logically yes, but I fully expect this WH to attempt the dumbest, most inappropriate or illegal option at every turn.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rigel posted:

Roberts is smart enough to know that in the very long run (which is how he needs to look at things) the GOP is driving themselves into the ditch of being a small regional southern party with no power. Maybe not now, maybe not in 8 years, but eventually. If they throw the Dems enough bones here and there, he can peel off enough Dems to go "ehhh.... I don't feel good about packing the courts, lets just keep it at 9". That gives him room to fire the occasional bullet at the very important decisions he really cares about. He doesn't have to give a drat about protecting someone who is likely out soon when it doesn't advance his goals anyway.

yeah, absolutely.

the point is, doing something crazy to help Trump would potentially result in a worst-case (for him) outcome where he goes down in history for his awful ruling and massively diminishes his own power because it provokes court-packing, and a best-case outcome where... someone he doesn't particularly like gets to hold on to power for just a little longer before he loses the 2020 election.

if nothing else, Roberts has proven that no matter how much of a terrible person he is, he understands that he needs to act to maintain his power in the long-term more than he needs to act to help the republicans in the short term.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Snuffman posted:

So an impeachment inquiry has more "teeth" right? Rudy can't just cross his arms and say "nuh-uh", he can be held in contempt or arrested if he doesn't show up?

If there are cameras rudy will show up. You could hold a public execution for rudy that he has no obligation to go to and as long as there are cameras he'd still show up to it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Retro42 posted:

Logically yes, but I fully expect this WH to attempt the dumbest, most inappropriate or illegal option at every turn.

1,000 audit logs of ERROR ACCESS DENIED TO DELETE MYCRIMES.DOCX

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1177539654704357378

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The evolution of this week has been great.

*The President; reeking of poo poo*

House Dems: Some people are saying the President pooped his pants, but we don't think that kind of talk is appropriate at this time.

Trump: I pooped my pants!

Rudy: He pooped 'em! I helped!

Whitehouse: Here are the lovely drawers.

House Dems: We are forming a committee to look into the idea that the President might have pooped his pants.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It’s so funny that one of the reasons this report is sticking more than the mueller report because it’s like 7 pages instead of 300.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Well now you gotta do it

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Rent-A-Cop posted:

House Dems: Some people are saying the President pooped his pants, but we don't think that kind of talk is appropriate at this time.

House Dems: We are forming a committee to look into the idea that the President might have pooped his pants.

Trump: "My drawers are PERFECT!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The committee was formed before the memo was sent out.

Like, this isn't really the timeline at all

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

NO THERE ARE NO DEAD HOOKERS IN MY TRUNK OFFICER.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It’s so funny that one of the reasons this report is sticking more than the mueller report because it’s like 7 pages instead of 300.

And the whistleblower put this together in like 5 weeks instead of loving 2 years.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Congressmen: I have not smelled it yet

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

This is rocket fuel on a fire from Putin.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Trump: "My drawers are PERFECT!"

TRUMP: Its not true that I poo poo my pants, I poo poo my pants, underpants, socks, and a little bit of my shirt. BAD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TulliusCicero posted:

This. Most of the establishment GOP would throw Trump under the nearest bus as soon as they could. He puts them in the worst possible position constantly: back Trump to the hilt and galvanize the democrats to vote your rear end out, or try to take even a slightly moderate position and get primaried by a Trumpist lunatic on the right.

As we saw in 2018, support for Trump does not equal support for the GOP. Many Trumpists are all in for him and him alone, and the rest of the GOP gets hung out to dry because they are all "RINOs".

I could very well see the establishment GOP turning on Trump if they see a good way of finally blasting him out of the airlock

Hey, they knew he was a snake when they took him in.