Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mark levin is master shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1177623459771437056?s=19

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Americans are dumb and war did wonders for Bush's approval ratings in the short term, so I fully suspect the R's to rush headlong into military action.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shouldn't that be "What Obama did to Khadaffi"?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Keep wagging the dog, fuckstick.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ryde posted:

Americans are dumb and war did wonders for Bush's approval ratings in the short term, so I fully suspect the R's to rush headlong into military action.

Yeah but Saddam Hussein did 9/11, Bashir Al-Assad didn't

What I mean is the narratives were set up in the media and by the Bush administration that they were linked, not really of course

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ryde posted:

wars also imploded johnson after he won one of the most lopsided elections in history and promising to end the war helped usher in another president in a landslide.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Welp. I guess they’re gonna start world war 3 over this. Like the scorched earth letter

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yup. Pompeo was also wildly rattling the saber at Iran during Trump's presser the other day, but most people didn't notice, because, ya know.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Someone itt asked about the thread's opinion of Killer Mike and TI last week or around then. Sooooooo

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1177598792885030912

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Pulling that play out of the book.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

ryde posted:

The war itself ended up being a pretty major drag on Bush's approval as it wound on. He won in 2004 because he was still coasting fumes from 9/11. W went into Iraq with 60% approval and was uniquely positioned to tie the war to 9/11. Trump, to say the least, is not so blessed.

That's not to say that Trump isn't deranged enough to think he can pull it off, but it wouldn't work to his political advantage.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ryde posted:

They may try as a literal “Wag the Dog” distraction but no, no one wants a war outside of the craziest of neo-cons. Even CHUDs are mostly against sending actual boots to die.

Trump does seem (surprisingly) self aware that an actual war would be bad for him even if, diplomatically speaking, his administration is doing everything to start one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

graham would be yelling this either way, so its not really new.

Majorian posted:

Yup. Pompeo was also wildly rattling the saber at Iran during Trump's presser the other day, but most people didn't notice, because, ya know.

yeah this admin isn't smart enough to wag the dog. also trump would ruin it hard.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The war itself ended up being a pretty major drag on Bush's approval as it wound on. He won in 2004 because he was still coasting fumes from 9/11. W went into Iraq with 60% approval and was uniquely positioned to tie the war to 9/11. Trump, to say the least, is not so blessed.
Even if he hadn't tied it to 9/11, Americans were so ready at the time to lash out at somebody, anybody that it was guaranteed to give him a boost.

TRUMP HIMSELF is constantly railing on pointless wars right now. I don't think fighting Iran would help him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

They may try as a literal “Wag the Dog” distraction but no, no one wants a war outside of the craziest of neo-cons. Even CHUDs are mostly against sending actual boots to die.

Trump does seem (surprisingly) self aware that an actual war would be bad for him even if, diplomatically speaking, his administration is doing everything to start one.

yeah, trump loves bombing and big gestures and if he knew he could win a war easy and out right gulf war style. he would try. but any war that he starts would be a giant poo poo horror show.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
We've been lucky that Trump has been comparatively risk adverse when it comes to the military, despite his bloody inclinations. As his mental decline accelerates, that might change, but who the hell knows.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1177596229695332353

Pelosi remains loving useless.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

To expand, how do you defend:
-Bribing a foreign official
-Bribing a foreign official to take out a political opponent
-LITERALLY sell out the United States so you can cling to power

Extortion, not bribery

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

And honestly, Trump kinda ran on a populist anti-war platform which honestly probably got him a non-zero number of votes from people who knew Hillary was a war hawk. So there’s at least a portion of his base that is anti-war and “America first!” that would be turned off by him starting a war.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Flip Yr Wig posted:

We've been lucky that Trump has been comparatively risk adverse when it comes to the military, despite his bloody inclinations. As his mental decline accelerates, that might change, but who the hell knows.

Trump's interest dies as soon as he's told that no, nuking this target would be a bad idea.

He really wants to push a big red button and my pet theory is that they made all of the codes incredibly long right now so that he can't memorize them, thus preventing the use of nukes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TulliusCicero posted:

What defense could they possibly produce? The President himself and his lawyer are confessing and everything is true, the witness is a CIA officer who has no reason to stick their neck out except "holy poo poo crimes"

They are hosed

What do you mean by hosed?

You think republican senators care?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i don't really see what she did wrong here. also the article is kinda crap. plus its a day old and out of date.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oracle posted:

Extortion, not bribery

The extortion was the funds he withheld, the bribery is the reported extra funds that were authorized afterwards.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Taerkar posted:

Trump's interest dies as soon as he's told that no, nuking this target would be a bad idea.

He really wants to push a big red button and my pet theory is that they made all of the codes incredibly long right now so that he can't memorize them, thus preventing the use of nukes.

Imagine telling him that no one can launch without the pass phrase, and that he has to wait 48 hours for it to be reset if he forgot it.

Someone give that IT guy a Medal of Freedom.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ryde posted:

This is not a great analysis. This isn't justification for the war in Iraq but the 9/11 terror attacks were the first time the American mainland had been attacked since 1812?

Manufacturing a war when you are unpopular is very different.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Taerkar posted:

The extortion was the funds he withheld, the bribery is the reported extra funds that were authorized afterwards.

I am going to the L and admit I used the wrong term.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What do you mean by hosed?

You think republican senators care?

i think they care enough to be worried. with the mueller stuff they started yelling the second full thing dropped. with this. nothing outside the house chuds and graham.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Please tell me there is something preventing us from going to war while the president is actively being investigated.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i don't really see what she did wrong here. also the article is kinda crap. plus its a day old and out of date.

There's your mistake, you read the article

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Roth does a great job describing Trump because he doesn’t fall back on symbols and tropes, he just describes the man as he actually exists.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

She's completely bungling the political strategy as usual. Instead of hearings and new dirt on Trump dominating the news for the next year she wants to get it over quickly.... For what? To pass more bills Mitch McConnell will shred? Trump should be taking a beating like he is this week for the next year and she doesn't seem to want that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mcmagic posted:

She's completely bungling the political strategy as usual. Instead of hearings and new dirt on Trump dominating the news for the next year she wants to get it over quickly.... For what? To pass more bills Mitch McConnell will shred? Trump should be taking a beating like he is this week for the next year and she doesn't seem to want that.
She is afraid that the Republicans will do it to her because she's crooked as poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Roth does a great job describing Trump because he doesn’t fall back on symbols and tropes, he just describes the man as he actually exists.

he isn't really comparable to monsters and assholes of the past. he is purely contemporary amalgamation of lovely traits. you can't even compare him really to reagan, nixon or W.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

hidden_msg posted:

Please tell me there is something preventing us from going to war while the president is actively being investigated.

I have some bad news

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Terrorists

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stereotype posted:

quote:

The President of the United States just loving sits there and watches television all day long, in large part because he is on television a lot now. He is either pleased or displeased by what he sees, and he shapes his actions—and, more or less by accident, the scope and tenor of our broader national politics—in response to what he sees. Some unlucky but mostly invisible people suffer greatly as a result. Some even unluckier people might even die. They may be dying now. They may in fact be dying right outside, right now, but the program is in commercial break at the moment. William Devane is telling the people at home about gold. An octogenarian former game-show host the color of a walnut is explaining how a reverse mortgage works, kind of.

None of this troubles the loop. Trump watches and emotes; he excretes and consumes. That a great and greatly conflicted experiment in self-government has come to this—a whole nation trying to talk a shitfaced trust-fund lout into a cab so that he won’t mow down everyone on the sidewalk, and then talking about what a fantastic job he did barfing in the ashtray—is one thing. It’s many things. But none of those things are complicated.

https://deadspin.com/the-nfl-is-too-dumb-to-realize-that-donald-trump-is-nev-1826558748

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hidden_msg posted:

If you think Trump is unpopular and the government is constantly on the verge of collapse, imagine what it will be like when videos of troops being blown to bits start pouring into Facebook and coffins start rolling off planes and no one even knows who we are fighting.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mooseontheloose posted:

This is not a great analysis. This isn't justification for the war in Iraq but the 9/11 terror attacks were the first time the American mainland had been attacked since 1812?

Manufacturing a war when you are unpopular is very different.

People wanted blood for 9/11. I vaguely remember some SNL bit that ended with "Americans are pissed Saddam, not at you, but you'll do.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

hidden_msg posted:

Technically speaking Congress can only authorize military action unless he claims war powers. I am not sure how far Patriot Act can extend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oh phew!

https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1177633470371291137