Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Personally you should have printed out a bunch of informational pamphlets/flyers and just distributed them throughout the convention, informing people of a bunch of information that has come up in the deposition and testimonies for the case (with corresponding url links) and just sit back and let the natural course of events unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. Ty Beard, though, thinks it means he’s winning.

victory wine

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. Ty Beard, though, thinks it means he’s winning.
A real genius, from the looks of it.

TheHan posted:

It seems like at this point he also knows they’re hosed but is just lying to the marks so that once they settle he can spin it into a gofundme to hit back at the anime deep state.
Man, I don't even have an opinion here. Then again, there were enough assholes to reach like 250k for Vic's legal funds.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
One of the most toxic things I have heard from people as rumor was the number of cons over the years who had heard he was a scummy guy but also made sure he was a guest because he was one of the reason the con would break even. This is all hearsay but hearing it from people who this fact was depressing for was a WTF moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fallorn posted:

One of the most toxic things I have heard from people as rumor was the number of cons over the years who had heard he was a scummy guy but also made sure he was a guest because he was one of the reason the con would break even. This is all hearsay but hearing it from people who this fact was depressing for was a WTF moment.

I mean if you're willing to put someone in a position to abuse children just so your anime con can happen you probably shouldn't be running an anime con.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you're willing to put someone in a position to abuse children just so your anime con can happen you probably shouldn't be running an anime con.

Replace "anime con" with literally any other celebration of media and you have the last 40 years of such events.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I wonder how many of your fellow volunteers feel similarly to you, El Fideo, and if you might persuade them to also sit out of this event

because the dude is a threat to any young lady who attends and none of you should be put into a position of having to serve and assist a predator who will almost certainly be on the prowl

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Captain Baal posted:

but when the show gets serious the dub plays it pretty loving straight which is insane to think coming from Saban of all companies.

It helps that the localization was basically a last stand type of situation, which is why they went all out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fallorn posted:

That's probably true, especially post-FMA on Toonami. The plastic-faced little gremlin would pack out audience halls.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I am deeply encouraging you to either not volunteer/encourage others not to volunteer as well, or if you do choose to volunteer spend your time informing people of what scumbags the guest and the con runners are, keeping your safety in mind.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
We went to a sorta-local con in 2016 or 2017 and went to his panel (all the seats were filled).
It was kinda interesting at the time, but the thing that sticks out in my mind the most is that near the end he asked the audience if they knew what "glomping" was and then picked out a volunteer to demonstrate it. He had her take a running start down the aisle and jump into his arms, and I think the crowd actually applauded.

My partner and I walked away after saying "that was weird, right?" to ourselves
but everything since has made it feel even grosser and more sinister.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Have you tried catching an infectious but not dangerous illness in a hurry

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fangz posted:

Have you tried catching an infectious but not dangerous illness in a hurry

You can do that by just going to the con tbh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

You can do that by just going to the con tbh

Fangz said *not* dangerous though:v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dire and extremely truthful repercussions from the Vic case.

https://twitter.com/DanielFitzpat11/status/1177491320731910145

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Director of Voice Work is not only not a real job title, it's not a job that one would hold at Funimation, due to the dubbing work being mostly contracted out to Okratron 5000 and not done in-house.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there was a small update yesterday, mediation should be wednesday

https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1177306555391328259

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there was a small update yesterday, mediation should be wednesday

https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1177306555391328259

Isn't the deadline that the judge gave October 4th? Unless everyone is expecting things to be a quick meeting of Go gently caress Yourself/No, You Go gently caress Yourself, I would think an actual mediation and creating of proper legal documents would take more time than that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gyges posted:

Isn't the deadline that the judge gave October 4th? Unless everyone is expecting things to be a quick meeting of Go gently caress Yourself/No, You Go gently caress Yourself, I would think an actual mediation and creating of proper legal documents would take more time than that.

Have you seen how good these lawyers are at loving up, fast??

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gyges posted:

i'm under the impression that mediation is generally done in one day, whether it involves both sides being locked in a room until they come to a decision is up to the mediator

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't forget 3 Oct.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mediation could be done and filed in a day. It isn’t hard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Was mediation actually agreed to

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

It was by both sides and they agreed to meet on the 2nd.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alan Smithee posted:

Mediation was ordered by the judge.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gyges posted:

In addition to what others have said, Jamie's lawyer was off for a week.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Its pretty good going given that theyve managed to set up a meeting between a minimum of 4 lawyers and 1 mediator who all live in different places and one of whom had a weeks leave

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

To play devil’s advocate is there any way that could be favorable to him

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Namtab posted:

Its pretty good going given that theyve managed to set up a meeting between a minimum of 4 lawyers and 1 mediator who all live in different places and one of whom had a weeks leave

+ defendants and plaintiff

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Mediation could be favorable in that he might agree with some settlement with the defendants that pays them less than the judge would charge him that includes some sort of nda.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

To play devil’s advocate is there any way that could be favorable to him

Assuming some sort of settlement involves: All laywers fees; some sort of promise not to pursue further action; and statements on all parts. All of which seem like the most reasonably favorful thing for Vic.

Vic gets:
* To stop spending money on a laywer.
* Probably to not be found to be libelproof.
* To claim some form of victory.

Ty gets to not have to pay a bunch of fines.

Defendants get to stop being put through this. Jamie doesn't have to do anything technically since all the charges against her are dismissed but at least she wont' have to go through appeals. and like the judge said, who knows what some other judge is going to think. Funimation proooobably doesn't care? It's probably barely a line item to them so they're likely happy to pay for whatever legal proceedings they need. Rial & Toye probably have the most to gain since charges haven't been dismissed yet and there is a small chance at least one of them gets to trial (And also likely don't have the same resources everyone else does to keep fighting).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gyges posted:

I would think an actual mediation and creating of proper legal documents would take more time than that.
This isn't like a labor v employer mediation, which is usually drawn out and ugly and hateful. There's a professional third-party that serves as the mediator and tries to get everything squared away

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You can walk away from mediation findings though right? I assume it’s arbitration that’s the one you have to abide by iirc correct me if I’m wrong

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If I was Funimation I'd be dropping this dude based on the clownshoes bullshit he was up to just before the trial.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

You can walk away from mediation findings though right? I assume it’s arbitration that’s the one you have to abide by iirc correct me if I’m wrong
Yeah. If Vic just wants to keep slamming his dick in the door and the mediator can't find a resolution it's kicked back to the courts for more legalizing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

If I was Funimation I'd be dropping this dude based on the clownshoes bullshit he was up to just before the trial.
I think he got dropped at around the time when that Shield Hero anime started airing because some guy on twitter did fanart of Vic dressed like the MC of that when it turned out Funi dropped his rear end? Like Vic is no longer working with Funi in any capacity.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. If Vic just wants to keep slamming his dick in the door and the mediator can't find a resolution it's kicked back to the courts for more legalizing.

Yep, Vic digs in, it'll go back to the judge who will probably drop the remaining cases, and saddling Vic with all of the legal fees plus punitive measures to discourage future lawsuits. Vic could then appeal, but he and Ty can't amend their case, so the same disaster would go to the appeals court which would probably stomp on Vic again, now with even more legal fees.

The question will be how much is Vic being sold a bill of goods by Ty and Nick vs. them all possibly being aware they're screwed, and that no matter how good the grift is now, it could end with Vic losing lots of money, Ty losing his practice and in that Nick losing the manager of his trust money.

If there's any sense from Vic & co., they should be begging to only have to pay for Funi, Jamie, Monica and Ron's legal bills with no other preconditions. This is last good off ramp.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 29, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, Funimation fired his rear end, that's part of what the lawsuit is about.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think y'all are maybe putting your hopes too high? The defendants probably want this case to be over. They might just be fine with them paying the legal fees and calling it a day. Unless Vic's lawyers are stu...oh yeah. I'm not even joking here, by the way. I legitimately saw people fantasizing how this can all explode and though "no, that's too silly: its going to be more mundane than that; don't get your hopes up." But, as I was typing the sentence, it dawned one me that it could go down that way easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

I think y'all are maybe putting your hopes too high? The defendants probably want this case to be over. They might just be fine with them paying the legal fees and calling it a day. Unless Vic's lawyers are stu...oh yeah. I'm not even joking here, by the way. I legitimately saw people fantasizing how this can all explode and though "no, that's too silly: its going to be more mundane than that; don't get your hopes up." But, as I was typing the sentence, it dawned one me that it could go down that way easily.

I think it's worth noting that the defendants wanting the case to be over probably doesn't go hand-in-hand with anything that gives Vic a plausible deniability because they still have to deal with what comes after.