Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I think being in this forum technically counts.

How's that? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

It’d be dumb of them to actually go full accelerationist, but it’s effectively meaningless if the Lib Dem’s former tories and other former tories cuktigs don’t get behind it

E: it would be nice to see the SNP leading the charge of smaller parties and seeing them actually followed through by the others on a Good Idea but Lib Dem’s gonna Lib Dem.

Sure but I've been saying for ages that the SNP would back up a Corbyn or Labour government to a chorus of brain genius "nah they secretly are backstabbing to let the tories in" bullshit so maybe that can stop? probably not but hey oh

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S THE LAWS OF ENGLAND AND WALES AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING ILLEGAL MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE CROWN. I BREAK EVERY LAW AND I BREAK EVERY LAW HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME COMMONLAW BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS WETHERSPOONS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY STREET AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN ESSEX CAN STILL CALL THE POLICE. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FLAT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Coohoolin posted:

Sure but I've been saying for ages that the SNP would back up a Corbyn or Labour government to a chorus of brain genius "nah they secretly are backstabbing to let the tories in" bullshit so maybe that can stop? probably not but hey oh

Ikr SNP or PC would never back a Tory government, nor would they let a Labour government collapse - especially not at this of all moments. 'We vote labour and get tories' is like one of the pillars of support for independence movements in the UK. Preventing a functioning labour government in the days before Brexit would be unforgiveable, especially since functioning labour governments are so rare.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Convex posted:

How's that? :ohdear:

We have an anime forum.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Munin posted:

First, inevitable coalition is not inevitable, see the total lack of current coalition. Second, even if coalition having less Tories is better because it weakens their political position, their party, and their mandate. Third, FPTP is a toxic system.

As I said earlier though tactical voting will be bloody risky this time out since the entire political landscape has been turned upside down and it's going to be pretty hard to tell what constituency is exactly what type of marginal. Trying to game the system might be a fool's errand this time around.

The only reason they're not in coalition with the Tories now is they know an election is coming, and they think hard remain will gain them seats. As soon as that is behind us, they'll be right back to it.

Notice that they could form a caretaker government right now, with the purpose of achieving their alleged top priority, but they categorically refuse to do so because there is only one party they're interested in working with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also on the news this morning nice to heard that cleveland police is officially a danger to the public lol.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Convex posted:

Ah, didn't think of the libel/slander thing although that's more of a civil thing rather than criminal I guess. I try not to speed at all when driving and it's surprising how relaxing long journeys are when I don't have to panic on seeing a police car or mobile speed camera. Also I don't feel there's a moral argument for saving a few minutes on a journey considering the risk I'd be putting others at.

Drug laws are dumb as hell and should be abolished. poo poo like krokodil should be cracked down on where there's a clear risk to health I guess

If anything drugs should become safer after legalisation, right? There's no need to make the bathtub equivalent when you can buy the real poo poo at your local head shop

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's taken the SNP like 20 years since the opening of the Scottish parliament to convince voters that they won't risk letting the tories in if they vote SNP instead of Labour in Westminster elections. People used to vote SNP for Holyrood and Labour for Westminster, until the 2015 total collapse of Slab.

They aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and vote to bring in a tory government in some poo poo for brains accelerationist scheme.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Convex posted:

I try not to speed at all when driving and it's surprising how relaxing long journeys are when I don't have to panic on seeing a police car or mobile speed camera. Also I don't feel there's a moral argument for saving a few minutes on a journey considering the risk I'd be putting others at.

speeding is incredibly loving dumb because not only is it dangerous it's also a fuckload more expensive since your fuel consumption goes way up

like aside from a medical emergency or something like that there's literally never a reason to do it but some cunts just believe they're more important than the rest of us (ie Tories)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

marktheando posted:

It's taken the SNP like 20 years since the opening of the Scottish parliament to convince voters that they won't risk letting the tories in if they vote SNP instead of Labour in Westminster elections. People used to vote SNP for Holyrood and Labour for Westminster, until the 2015 total collapse of Slab.

They aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and vote to bring in a tory government in some poo poo for brains accelerationist scheme.

Do you think if Jo Swinson had gone into SNP that she may well have been this foolish?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

At my old uni there was a group of metallers that used to haunt any alt nights the uni put on. Two were bi, one was trans, one was mixed race, one was visibly disabled and they were all varying degrees of hairball, but they were all pro-Tory.

It was astounding because they represented the exact mix of groups the Tories were actively discriminating against and would have hated if they ever crossed paths. But they didn't see it. They were obsessed with that bullshit neolib poo poo about financial freedom happening to them someday and were convinced that if they ever did start a band, they didn't want to pay tax on their income.

One of them is now firmly left and is a thorough good egg, at least one of the others is a passionate Boris stan.
Students that are way into politics have poo poo politics and the trots grow up to be Tony Blair and the revcoms grow up to be Spiked Online, so it's not like the left ones have much better records.

Convex posted:

What laws does everyone break on a daily basis?

Edit: erm hypothetically obviously
Conspiracy to commit acts of terrocan't catch me out like that again copper.

Obtaining information likely to be useful to a terrorist because what the gently caress even is that. Do my chemistry books count? Does my bus timetable count (no because it's never right lol).

Random Integer posted:

Someone post the link to that study showing that most terrorist acts in the West were committed by engineers.
Here you go.
All that proves is that the left needs to do a lot more to radicalize engineers. All the left wing engineers just smoke pot and go on about open source and 3D printed drugs though, so that might not help.

Convex posted:

Drug laws are dumb as hell and should be abolished. poo poo like krokodil should be cracked down on where there's a clear risk to health I guess
Krokodil wouldn't even exist with legal morphine/diamorphine available, in the same way that nobody's selling spice to homeless people in places with legal weed. It's a self solving problem.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

speeding is incredibly loving dumb because not only is it dangerous it's also a fuckload more expensive since your fuel consumption goes way up

like aside from a medical emergency or something like that there's literally never a reason to do it but some cunts just believe they're more important than the rest of us (ie Tories)

But what about all of all the people who would be late for work

Josef bugman posted:

Do you think if Jo Swinson had gone into SNP that she may well have been this foolish?

I would never overestimate Jo Swinson's political acumen.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The problem with that question isn't "Is it okay to break the law" or even the assumption everyone does all the time it's the implicit assumption that Joris did so in the national interest.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jo swinson possibly realises that by making Corbyn PM to call a referendum it both legitimises him to the not insane remain crowd as well as makes him actually look prime ministerial which is something the press have tried insanely hard to kill any idea of

probably not though she just hates his politics

the BBC have realised tehy hosed up bigly and are backpedalling fast

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Julio Cruz posted:

Driving at 31mph on a deserted dual carriageway* in good weather is worse than driving at 59mph on a winter's evening on a 1 lane road because those are the arbitrary numbers assigned?

*yes we have 30 limits on dual carriageways far away from houses & footpaths round here. We also have a 30 limit going right past 2 primary schools in a residential area with parked cars everywhere, and gently caress that, I'm not breaking 10. Drive at a safe speed, not an arbitrary one

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose posted:

the BBC have realised tehy hosed up bigly and are backpedalling fast

This is 2019, you're going to have to be a lot, *lot* more specific

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lmao WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1177348764513775616?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

That's come up a bunch the last few days, and I've been scratching my head over which philosophers say that, it's a pretty normal emotion. Surely they wouldn't be trying to pass of a bunch of deliberately repressive theologians from the middle ages as philosophers just to make a point.

Also, y'know, the rest of it

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Borrovan posted:

That's come up a bunch the last few days, and I've been scratching my head over which philosophers say that, it's a pretty normal emotion. Surely they wouldn't be trying to pass of a bunch of deliberately repressive theologians from the middle ages as philosophers just to make a point.

Most philosophers don't even define "evil" in their work FFS.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Lmao WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress

I love the chain of people all coming into the thread just to share this and boggle at it anew.

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’ve seen that twice and even the second time was like seeing it for the first time and having the exact same reaction and experience as described “LMAO WHAT THE gently caress?”

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Philosophy for the insane

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Remember a couple of years ago when the polls were predicting that Labour would get slaughtered and the same exact goddamn arguments for why you shouldn't vote Labour that we see right now ITT kept popping up? Pretty good thing that people didn't listen back then, huh?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Munin posted:

I love the chain of people all coming into the thread just to share this and boggle at it new.

I want to img-timeline them all

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sinky posted:

Lol at £31000 a year for managing a £2Billion program for the House of Saud.

Yeah, especially as reading between the lines of the job description indicates that you'll be dealing with absolutely horrible people on a daily basis.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Driving at 31mph on a deserted dual carriageway* in good weather is worse than driving at 59mph on a winter's evening on a 1 lane road because those are the arbitrary numbers assigned?

*yes we have 30 limits on dual carriageways far away from houses & footpaths round here. We also have a 30 limit going right past 2 primary schools in a residential area with parked cars everywhere, and gently caress that, I'm not breaking 10. Drive at a safe speed, not an arbitrary one

you know I don't remember saying that you have to drive at exactly the speed limit at all times

but you're half right, breaking the speed limit is not in fact driving at a safe speed which is one of the reasons you shouldn't do it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Nietzsche (or one way of reading Nietzsche) said a bunch about it, especially that it was envy of the rich and powerful by the poor and weak that caused them to create religious systems that make the rich and powerful feel bad, an envy/guilt dichotomy rather than a good/evil one.

The core example of that would be Christianity, the system of slave morality.

But, like, Nietzsche was a loving weirdo, and he probably stole that from Schopenhauer, who considered envy to be a reflection of people's own internal unhappiness.

hosed up that QT audience members are channeling all these antisemites though :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Didn't Hegel say something about slave morality too?

I can't keep my boring Germans in line anymore.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Hegel's master/slave dialectic is some damned fine philosophy tho

e: Correct, even

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 27, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I bet Nozick said something like that, the libertarian gently caress. (who renounced his awful philosophy later in life :unsmith:)

Borrovan posted:

You know drat well that most canon philosophers are regressive middle age theologians or even worse... Ancient Greeks *shudder*

Miftan fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 27, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Borrovan posted:

I thought it was this:

Jealousy: I want to have that too

Envy: I want you to not have that

Makes envy a bit of a dick move imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

The problem with that question isn't "Is it okay to break the law" or even the assumption everyone does all the time it's the implicit assumption that Joris did so in the national interest.

I mean it's maybe a little iffy for the tory government to start suggesting that the law isn't a substitute for moral authority and we should all break it if we think it's good to :v:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I thought it was this:

I still think the far better term for the latter is spite.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 27, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oh my god the BBC are loving this up bad.

From the Guardian's story

quote:

The BBC’s editorial standards director, David Jordan, attempted to defuse the situation on Friday, telling Radio 4’s Today programme that people may have “wilfully” misunderstood the nature of the ruling against Munchetty.

He said there was no doubt that Trump’s original comments were racist, agreed that it was entirely within Munchetty’s right to describe those comments as racist on air, and said the presenter was allowed to provide analysis to viewers about how a person of colour felt when they were told to “go home”.

However, Jordan insisted she had breached editorial guidelines because she said the comments made her feel “absolutely furious” and that implied she was making a judgement on Trump’s personality, saying it is not the BBC’s job to be “calling out people for being liars or racist”.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought it was this:

Pretty sure it's the other way round. As in the way a jealous husband is constantly on guard for other men talking to his wife.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

OwlFancier posted:

I still think the far better term for the latter is spite.

Spite is when you have a thing and want others to not have it. A little different.

e: Jealousy is wanting a thing that someone else has, envy is wanting a thing that someone else has while wanting them to not have it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Necrothatcher posted:

:laffo:

Oh my word they really are bungling this one.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's maybe a little iffy for the tory government to start suggesting that the law isn't a substitute for moral authority and we should all break it if we think it's good to :v:

Fair point :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I thought it was this:

In Schopenhauer's view, envy is caused by our own unhappiness when we see someone else who seems happy or who has something that we think we need to be happy. It's human, but like with everything Schopenhauer it would be better if we transcended to being super-Rishis and desired nothing.
Schadenfreude is caused by our own unhappiness making us feel warped joy when something bad happens to that person, and always debases us in his view.

Schadenfreude seems to tie in more with the right wing way of looking at people, at least the types who relish Memelord Normison DESTROYS cuck students videos.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 27, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Necrothatcher posted:

"You're allowed to call people racist but not to pass a value judgement on if racism is good or bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saith posted:

Spite is when you have a thing and want others to not have it. A little different.

e: Jealousy is wanting a thing that someone else has, envy is wanting a thing that someone else has while wanting them to not have it.

Isn't that greed?

Cos I mean I'd totally identify my politics as spiteful, I don't want to be rich, I want to destroy richness, I want it not to be a thing any more because I hate it and hate that it exists.

Granted I also think everyone else would be better off but it dovetails nicely with just active hatred for the rich.