Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a first aid kit in there so you have one handy if the pilot is hosed up when he lands.

E:FB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The sentiment that "the bomber will always get through" was around in 1932. Douhet in the 1920s was claiming that strategic bombers would be impossible to intercept. So, the idea of the fast bomber seems like a pretty obvious one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fangz posted:

The sentiment that "the bomber will always get through" was around in 1932. Douhet in the 1920s was claiming that strategic bombers would be impossible to intercept. So, the idea of the fast bomber seems like a pretty obvious one.

This logic perplexes me. What was that based on? Like, I know I'm thinking with 100 years of hindsight, but it seems as if you're looking at 2 planes designed from the same basic sets of capabilities, a bomber and an interceptor, and the bomber is full of big fuckoff bombs and heavy, that the interceptors would always at least be a threat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommonShore posted:

This logic perplexes me. What was that based on? Like, I know I'm thinking with 100 years of hindsight, but it seems as if you're looking at 2 planes designed from the same basic sets of capabilities, a bomber and an interceptor, and the bomber is full of big fuckoff bombs and heavy, that the interceptors would always at least be a threat.

Well for one thing it was harder to locate the bomber and scramble interceptors to its location prior to the advent of RADAR.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CommonShore posted:

1. Radar doesn't exist.
2. It's easier to stick more engines on to a bomber, and so make a bomber almost arbitrarily fast, whereas a fighter needs to manuever.
3. Once the bomber drops its bombs it gets a lot lighter.
4. Really unrealistic expectations of effective bombing from high altitude.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fangz posted:

1. Radar doesn't exist.
2. It's easier to stick more engines on to a bomber, and so make a bomber almost arbitrarily fast, whereas a fighter needs to manuever.
3. Once the bomber drops its bombs it gets a lot lighter.
4. Really unrealistic expectations of effective bombing from high altitude.

There's also the massive endurance gap between the types of planes which makes patrolling effectively almost impossible at this time. It's a lot different without radar-directed interception.

Midway is actually a really good example of the problems of air defense without radar- these were some of the best fighter pilots in the world directed by experienced carrier crews with a single, centralized target, and slow, laden bombers still got through.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 27, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean....Douhet was probably actually right.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CommonShore posted:

It's not like the AWACS would call a fighter to scramble at Mach 2 to intercept back in 1930. Early detection was slow and haphazard, fighter planes were still slow and you couldn't radio instructions to fighters already in the air because *gasp* they didn't have radios. So if you had a bomber with enough speed and service ceiling relative to enemy fighter's capabilities then it would be nigh impossible for the enemy to climb to meet you before you had already reached the target.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a whole pile of little things which we take for granted now just simply not existing at the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AFashionableHat posted:

this mortally wounds me

quincy is greater boston, friend

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Some dude on /tg/ perennial /hwg/ thread is translating a book about Blucher raid into English:
http://is2.4chan.org/tg/1569587622889.pdf

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nenonen posted:

It's not like the AWACS would call a fighter to scramble at Mach 2 to intercept back in 1930. Early detection was slow and haphazard, fighter planes were still slow and you couldn't radio instructions to fighters already in the air because *gasp* they didn't have radios. So if you had a bomber with enough speed and service ceiling relative to enemy fighter's capabilities then it would be nigh impossible for the enemy to climb to meet you before you had already reached the target.

Even as late as the 1950s the B-36 had better capability at altitude than the fighters that would have intercepted it. Most interceptors couldn't even get up to 50000', and the ones that could would be perpetually on the edge of a stall and couldn't turn worth a drat up there. To successfully intercept one would take very good timing and coordination with controllers.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Phanatic posted:

Even as late as the 1950s the B-36 had better capability at altitude than the fighters that would have intercepted it. Most interceptors couldn't even get up to 50000', and the ones that could would be perpetually on the edge of a stall and couldn't turn worth a drat up there. To successfully intercept one would take very good timing and coordination with controllers.
And XB-70 went faster and higher than anything else again, necessitating the development of the MiG-25. Given how the Blackbirds did against MiG-25 interceptions I think even they wouldn't provide a full solution. In the end the fast, high bomber was killed by the surface to air missile, because you can have more SAMs than fighters per dollar so you can spread them around better. People say it was about altitude, but you can stand a 60s jet interceptor on its tail and get up to 60000ft no bother. The issue is having the jet interceptor in the right place at the right time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'd kinda argue that the fast bomber was killed by the stealth bomber, which does about the same thing except better.

(Or the cruise missile)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrangibleCover posted:

And XB-70 went faster and higher than anything else again, necessitating the development of the MiG-25. Given how the Blackbirds did against MiG-25 interceptions I think even they wouldn't provide a full solution. In the end the fast, high bomber was killed by the surface to air missile, because you can have more SAMs than fighters per dollar so you can spread them around better. People say it was about altitude, but you can stand a 60s jet interceptor on its tail and get up to 60000ft no bother. The issue is having the jet interceptor in the right place at the right time.

I'd add to this that developing a missile to intercept the XB-70 would have been an order of magnitude less costly than developing the XB-70. Engineering and economics favored the missiles, not the bombers.

Also in the 1980s, MiG-31s ran regular successful interceptions of SR-71s spying from international airspace. Thanks to composite parts, the MiG-31 could accelerate to mach 2.8. This allowed them to be in a position to launch their Mach 4 missiles at the Mach 3.2 Blackbird.

Question for Cyrano especially, but anybody who knows the cold war Soviet Union is welcome. Have you read anything about the Soviets post-war fishing fleets? I'm reading about it right now, and it is *crazy* in several ways.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

It's not like the AWACS would call a fighter to scramble at Mach 2 to intercept back in 1930. Early detection was slow and haphazard

To put it mildly. 1930 is before radar, remember (and Chain Home was still secret even in 1939). Detection back then was literally a bloke in a field seeing planes go overhead and picking up a telephone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jedimarkus77/status/1176552748139106306

quote:

The trio had a routine: first approach the Nazi men in bars, and, having successfully seduced them, ask if they wanted to 'go for a stroll' in the forest, where, as Freddie herself put it, they would be 'liquidated'.

'We had to do it,' she told one interviewer. 'It was a necessary evil, killing those who betrayed the good people.' When asked how many people she had killed or helped kill, she demurred: 'One should not ask a soldier any of that.'

e: ah this was from last year. Nevertheless!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

feedmegin posted:

To put it mildly. 1930 is before radar, remember (and Chain Home was still secret even in 1939). Detection back then was literally a bloke in a field seeing planes go overhead and picking up a telephone.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_mirror which you can still go and look at in the UK, yeah. They're not very good though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They tried bigger setups that looked less goofy, but they were prohibitively expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F5osXK4vw

e; fb

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

Presumably not Iowa though.

Only 37 foot draught. I guess most inland shipping channels don't need to be that deep though

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_mirror which you can still go and look at in the UK, yeah. They're not very good though.

What happens if like say a firecracker goes off in front of one of those? Does the user get deafened?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A bunch of first-order militaries still use acoustic systems for counterfire. It is actually incredibly accurate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Another data point on the bomber altitude thing is the wing area. Big rear end wings help a lot with climbing up to altitude, especially in the pre-jet era.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

A bunch of first-order militaries still use acoustic systems for counterfire. It is actually incredibly accurate.

But is it people or computers that are decoding signals here

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Have you read anything about the Soviets post-war fishing fleets? I'm reading about it right now, and it is *crazy* in several ways.

Where you reading this

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

Another data point on the bomber altitude thing is the wing area. Big rear end wings help a lot with climbing up to altitude, especially in the pre-jet era.

Also the changeover from bi/triplanes to monoplanes, especially all-metal bodies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

Accuracy isn't what you want here though per se, because by the time you've heard and reported the plane it's miles away from that point already. What you want for this application is range and it doesn't have that.

Also I'm guessing a modern DSP does a much better job than a Mark 1 human ear...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 27, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where you reading this

Got a book called "Cod: the Ecological History of the North Atlantic Fisheries."

The Soviets post war went huge - enormous - into a high seas fishing fleet. So much so that they were building ships in West German shipyards to take advantage of it. They also apparently surreptitiously stole the British design for what would become the modern factory trawler, the Fairtry I. (Dragged a net from the rear instead of the side, massive refrigeration facilities.) By 1965, Soviets had 106 factory trawlers, 30 mother ships (not really sure, maybe larger storage/resupply ships) and 425 side trawlers. This fleet was catching 900,000 tons of fish per year in foreign waters, usually till the entire region's ecology collapsed.

The Soviets were the biggest, but most of Europe was doing the same thing, subsidizing the construction of vast fishing fleets that would wander the oceans taking whatever they could get. Iceland acting unilaterally to protect its own fishing grounds was the right move, because between around 1955 to 1970 there was basically no rules at all for fishing beyond four miles from a nation's coastline.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 27, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Boeing Model 299 (which eventually became the B-17) was also faster than almost any fighter plane in 1935.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

By 1965, Soviets had 106 factory trawlers, 30 mother ships (not really sure, maybe larger storage/resupply ships) and 425 side trawlers. This fleet was catching 900,000 tons of fish per year in foreign waters, usually till the entire region's ecology collapsed.

That is interesting - I had no idea the Soviet fishing fleet was so big. I'm aware this is a big gap in my own knowledge (among many...) but I never think of the USSR as a major civil maritime power. But I've just looked it up and the Soviet Union was building a million tons of merchant shipping a year in the 50s and 60s, and by the 1970s they had the sixth largest merchant fleet in the world

Does your source have anything about what proportion of these trawlers were packed with ELINT gear, trailed sonar/hydrophone arrays from their 'trawling gear' and spent a curiously large amount of time 'fishing' in the bits of the GIUK Gap and Western Approaches which NATO subs used to get in and out of the Clyde?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BalloonFish posted:

I never think of the USSR as a major civil maritime power.
My dude, I had no idea.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

That is interesting - I had no idea the Soviet fishing fleet was so big. I'm aware this is a big gap in my own knowledge (among many...) but I never think of the USSR as a major civil maritime power. But I've just looked it up and the Soviet Union was building a million tons of merchant shipping a year in the 50s and 60s, and by the 1970s they had the sixth largest merchant fleet in the world

Does your source have anything about what proportion of these trawlers were packed with ELINT gear, trailed sonar/hydrophone arrays from their 'trawling gear' and spent a curiously large amount of time 'fishing' in the bits of the GIUK Gap and Western Approaches which NATO subs used to get in and out of the Clyde?

A good question. The book makes clear that unlike Newfoundland/Canada, the USSR was *very* into maritime research, both biology and physical, and were doing bathymetric surveys around Canada (say, Baffin Island) that Canada couldn't be bothered to do. It also mentions that the Soviet fishing fleet was so big off the Grand Banks that they occasionally had "spotter ships" that did nothing aside from use sensors to find fish. This is a rambly way to say I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like there was enough ships that the ELINT trawlers could farm out more mundane surveillance and survey to ostensibly civilian ships.

Also hilariously the one nation they never hosed with was Iceland, as they were ornery from the start

Also also would it be bad form to ask why precisely the USSR needed that much merchant marine

once again, holy gently caress

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Again again, holy gently caress :stonk:

Nebakenezzer posted:

A good question. The book makes clear that unlike Newfoundland/Canada, the USSR was *very* into maritime research, both biology and physical, and were doing bathymetric surveys around Canada (say, Baffin Island) that Canada couldn't be bothered to do. It also mentions that the Soviet fishing fleet was so big off the Grand Banks that they occasionally had "spotter ships" that did nothing aside from use sensors to find fish. This is a rambly way to say I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like there was enough ships that the ELINT trawlers could farm out more mundane surveillance and survey to ostensibly civilian ships.

Also also would it be bad form to ask why precisely the USSR needed that much merchant marine

Interesting. It ties in with that quote in HEY GUNS' link that the whaling fleet scoured the Southern Ocean line-abreast like a naval operation - having sensor-laden detector-ships to direct and task hunter-ships to the 'target' is exactly the same technique as modern mine countermeasures. No wonder the Grand Banks got picked clean if that was how total and industrialised the fishing was.

Here's a 1965 CIA report into the expansion of the Soviet merchant fleet:

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000316360.pdf

And here's one from the US Naval Institute in 1967:

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/1967/may/soviet-maritime-threat

Which has some truely boggling stats in it about the growth (and speed of that growth) of the USSR fleet.

The reason for the expansion seems to be part the usual Soviet goal of 'maximum industrial output in all cases as much as possible', but with the more practical reason that it would stop the USSR's reliance on foreign-flagged ships to handle its maritime trade, which had been seen as a Russian national weakness back in the pre-revolution years. Having a large native merchant fleet is also handly to call on for use in war, proxy war, for foreign aid purposes, forging economic ties and as a 'soft power' projection.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

People laugh at you for proposing Die Ratte, until this exact thing happens.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

People laugh at you for proposing Die Ratte, until this exact thing happens.

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Cats chase Rattes, though.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So this might be off base or I'm late to the party, but was the Trinity project name a pun? Like the Trinity, the atom was supposed to be indivisible. A friend and I were talking about it and I wasn't sure if that was a crazy reach.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Carillon posted:

So this might be off base or I'm late to the party, but was the Trinity project name a pun? Like the Trinity, the atom was supposed to be indivisible. A friend and I were talking about it and I wasn't sure if that was a crazy reach.

The story is that Oppenheimer named the test site "Trinity" in honor of a poem by John Donne.

quote:

Batter my heart, three-personed God; for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o’erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurped town, to another due,
Labor to admit you, but O, to no end;
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
but is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto your enemy.
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again;
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor even chaste, except you ravish me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nebakenezzer posted:

Got a book called "Cod: the Ecological History of the North Atlantic Fisheries."

The Soviets post war went huge - enormous - into a high seas fishing fleet. So much so that they were building ships in West German shipyards to take advantage of it. They also apparently surreptitiously stole the British design for what would become the modern factory trawler, the Fairtry I. (Dragged a net from the rear instead of the side, massive refrigeration facilities.) By 1965, Soviets had 106 factory trawlers, 30 mother ships (not really sure, maybe larger storage/resupply ships) and 425 side trawlers. This fleet was catching 900,000 tons of fish per year in foreign waters, usually till the entire region's ecology collapsed.

The Soviets were the biggest, but most of Europe was doing the same thing, subsidizing the construction of vast fishing fleets that would wander the oceans taking whatever they could get. Iceland acting unilaterally to protect its own fishing grounds was the right move, because between around 1955 to 1970 there was basically no rules at all for fishing beyond four miles from a nation's coastline.

it's still a Big Problem today

most of the reason Somalian piracy is such a thing is that foreign fishing devastated their waters and now you had a bunch of highly experienced sailors with boats and no way to make a livelihood