Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Jabor posted:

My favourite thing about yugioh is that it doesn't really use creature types, instead it does tribes based on card names.

it's actually worse. they have both. every creature has a type (beast, machine, sea serpent, fiend, etc etc it's some low 2 digit number) but also set mechanics are generally name based tribe stuff. They switched to that so that they didnt accidentally break stuff as much but instead built the super parasitic cycling metagame they have. Yugioh is wild.

pokemon tcg owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Procrastinator posted:

pokemon tcg owns though

Is there an online version? I'm a bit curious about it nowadays after bouncing off it early.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there an online version? I'm a bit curious about it nowadays after bouncing off it early.

There is. Pokémom TCG Online. You even get codes from paper booster packs and other sealed product that you can redeem for Online.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

They switched to that so that they didnt accidentally break stuff as much but instead built the super parasitic cycling metagame they have. Yugioh is wild.

I highly recommend watching a game of YGOPRO if you ever want a crash course modern Yu-Gi-Oh. It's bonkers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You'd think, wouldn't you? But having the Big Boys in your hand doesn't actually do much, and it's getting them out of there that's the tricky part.

Trade-In has existed forever and is an insane value engine

E: Even ignoring that, discard White Stone of Legend, grab Blue-Eyes + Alternative + rando valueman

Except Blue-Eyes hasn’t shown up in 2 years wtf

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 27, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Yes, Giant Hand was once, an 800 some dollar card, because it was tournament legal and also good in the meta it was relevant in.

And then they threw it in a tin, 2 years later.

drat, pretty hosed up that they made the card affordable. glad my game of choice doesn't do that, haha

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
yu-gi-oh-no-he-didn't!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The thing about Yugioh is speculation is stupid and pointless because Konami will reprint things into the ground on a whim and they will just point and laugh

The other thing about Yugioh is that Konami will ban/nerf your deck into the ground on a whim when they have something new to push and they will just point and laugh

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

The thing about Yugioh is speculation is stupid and pointless because Konami will reprint things into the ground on a whim and they will just point and laugh

The other thing about Yugioh is that Konami will ban/nerf your deck into the ground on a whim when they have something new to push and they will just point and laugh

I play Modern Jund to ensure that I will never be done spending an exorbitant amount of money on cardboard.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Blue Eyes is ultimately too fragile to disruption for the current metagame, which is basically 8 esper control archetypes staring each other down with 4 counterspells a turn. As an example based on MtG.

There’s no room for explosive beatdown decks in yugioh, because unless they explode into an OTK they just get removed or stopped.

Anyway, the newest blue eyes support was great because it had a bunch of silly nonsense. Like a trap using Kaiba’s catchphrase for them “The Ultimate Engine of Destruction.” Kaiba himself is a card, called Kaibaman, who supports Blue Eyes. Which it should be noted that the Blue Eyes White Dragon is actually the spirit of an ancient Egyptian girl who met and was saved from death by Priest Set, who is going to reincarnate into Kaiba, eventually.

Also that Melody of Awakening Dragon Spell Card has a monster designed to search it called King of D and his art is incredible and I highly recommend looking it up.

But yeah basically Yu-Gi-Oh has devolved into everyone playing the world’s most rear end in a top hat blue control decks with flavour from other sources.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To stop talking about yugioh nonsense I played a sealed event irl today and had a lot of fun with Thrones of Eldraine. Adventures were rather intuitive and the stuff that benefits from it felt relatively targetable in draft from what I saw around the room of people’s packs. Green Red and Black all have cards I enjoyed and people seemed to be doing well with all 5 colours. Of course this doesn’t necessarily reflect a fun draft environment, but it seems solid to me as someone who basically only drafts and plays commander.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

little munchkin posted:

drat, pretty hosed up that they made the card affordable. glad my game of choice doesn't do that, haha

I'm glad that if I want to play this card game, I either play lovely piles, become a Criminal, or become destitute.

And no matter which choice I make, I get zero tins with dragons on them to contain it.

Much better this way.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I love it

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I hope people stop talking about yugioh because it's a painful reminder that while I have disdain for it, yugioh and magic are both childrens card games and most people would not be able to distinguish between them. I prefer to maintain the illusion that I play the serious and grown up game for at least one hour every day so that I can earn imaginary gold coins and rubies and, eventually, a very adult and serious cartoon fox companion who will frolic playfully (but seriously) before my very eyes. Thank you. Thank you.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

I hope people stop talking about yugioh because it's a painful reminder that while I have disdain for it, yugioh and magic are both childrens card games and most people would not be able to distinguish between them. I prefer to maintain the illusion that I play the serious and grown up game for at least one hour every day so that I can earn imaginary gold coins and, eventually, a very adult and serious cartoon fox companion who will frolic playfully (but seriously) before my very eyes. Thank you. Thank you.

I disable my pet because I'm too scared that the opponent will judge me for it :(

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

I hope people stop talking about yugioh because it's a painful reminder that while I have disdain for it, yugioh and magic are both childrens card games and most people would not be able to distinguish between them. I prefer to maintain the illusion that I play the serious and grown up game for at least one hour every day so that I can earn imaginary gold coins and rubies and, eventually, a very adult and serious cartoon fox companion who will frolic playfully (but seriously) before my very eyes. Thank you. Thank you.

:same:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Can someone please explain to me, as if I were a dummy, what buying the mastery pass does for me? Does it only unlock that second row of rewards underneath my current levels in the mastery screen? Surely there must be something else for $35 right

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

Can someone please explain to me, as if I were a dummy, what buying the mastery pass does for me? Does it only unlock that second row of rewards underneath my current levels in the mastery screen? Surely there must be something else for $35 right

It's not $35, it's 3400 gems, and if you fill it out you get 3500 gems worth of gems and gold combined (assuming you dump the gold into drafting, which is the worst exchange rate) plus all the cosmetics, icrs and packs. If you're not sure if you'll play enough to fill it out, don't buy the pass until you hit a level where you think it's worth it, since rewards are applied retroactively.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Arena is better than Duel Links (Yu-Gi-Oh's equivalent of it) in a good amount of ways but I sometimes wish it had the flair for presentation the latter has. When you pick what character you're playing as there you get unique voice lines and character taunts, but picking a Planeswalker on Arena just changes what picture represents you.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Yes. But it isn't $35. From what I remember $1 = 200 gems at the best rate so $17. And aside from the one time starter bundle a maxed out mastery pass is by far the best value for money, if you want to spend money.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
And by "maxed out" you mean leveling up all the way to the top?

That does actually seem pretty good, although that level grind seems daunting

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's really not that bad. I hardly ever touch the thing and got past the level where you got the first upgrade for your lava cat pet on the last one.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

As far as f2p games go it's pretty lenient, like you can go a couple days of no play and still keep up in quests and stuff. I made it to 100 and def didn't have to grind quests or whatever

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

They've turned magic from something that's fun I want to do into another grindy game I don't have time to play.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Although it's pretty variable and who knows what they'll do this set, but for M20 they gave out 10+ levels via codes and there were events where you just needed to get one win to get a level

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They've said they don't want codes to be as big a factor in this one, and that they made sure there's enough time to max it out without them this time. I'm sure there will still be event xp though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sinteres posted:

They've said they don't want codes to be as big a factor in this one, and that they made sure there's enough time to max it out without them this time. I'm sure there will still be event xp though.

I mean if there isn't at least a free draft in the prerelease kits, I'm going to be so annoyed.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Someone on Reddit did the math and you get 3400 gems worth of stuff at around level 47

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm a couple of pages late but I would be so so down for a revolutionary Russia plane, although I think I'd have trouble playing anything but mono-red

Surely mono black if you’re trying to get some edgy internet leftist points.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It’s fine to be an adult who likes trading card games and I want more adults to agree so Wizards stops vetoing whimsical things :(

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They've turned magic from something that's fun I want to do into another grindy game I don't have time to play.

But you don't have to buy the Mastery Pass and you don't have to grind. You don't even need to complete your daily quests but, you'll likely do so anyway just from playing an hour per day. You could continue to buy gems to augment your gold to buy packs and it wouldn't be that dissimilar from buying boosters outright.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Magic Underwear posted:

Mods please rename that poster Yugioh Underwear

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

wiz: hey play our game its fun
u: yes I will play your game its fun
wiz: we'll give you presents for playing our fun game
u: gently caress YOU YOU PIECE OF poo poo WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? FURTHERMOre

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It's not, I hit high 80s during the M20 season just by drafting like twice a week and playing enough constructed to clear my quests.

It's obviously a money grab but it's not as egregious as it seems at first. I will probably buy the Mastery Pass for Eldraine since I will most likely be drafting it way more than I did M20.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lunchtime theorycrafting: https://scryfall.com/@TCID/decks/23727c57-f05c-474d-be32-5d061abe65fc

Probably trying to do too much with too little interaction, but who knows. Is Mystic Forge even playable in an Oko world?

----

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Pay money like you normally would to play Magic. You don't have to grind because the option is there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

a money grab that you can achieve by literally putting no money into the game, where you get more out than you put in.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's more an attention grab than a money grab. The point is to keep people playing on a daily or near daily basis so they'll buy more just from continued engagement and keep queues active. That's also why you can't just grind all the xp at once, because they want continuous play rather than frontloaded play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lone Goat posted:

a money grab that you can achieve by literally putting no money into the game, where you get more out than you put in.

uh, are there account sales for MTGA accounts?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hellsau posted:

uh, are there account sales for MTGA accounts?

Yeah. There's a market just like with any MMO where people will spend money to buy loaded out accounts. It, obviously, isn't as big just because you can't transfer items like in most MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

wiz: hey play our game its fun
u: yes I will play your game its fun
wiz: we'll give you presents for playing our fun game
wiz: gently caress YOU YOU PIECE OF poo poo WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? FURTHERMOre
I thought I was the only one that remembered Magic Player Rewards.