Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

skylined! posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh because if they win the primary they're going to need Biden voters, who they likely won't then get..?!?! Because everyone that isn't Biden is trying to swing people currently on Team Biden to come to their team?

Come on.

"Corruption is OK if you need the votes." - President Donald J. Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I thought impeachment proceedings would just play into Trump's/Republicans' victim complex and bolster that whole martyr narrative.

God drat it feels good to be wrong. I don't think I've ever seen the GOP caught flat-footed like this before.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1177648234006753282

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is explicitly legal for members of Congress to insider trade, and if you think a person with an investment banker spouse is too noble to take advantage of that, then you're exactly the type of gullible peon that reflexively defends people like Pelosi.

Not since 2012 son.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rigel posted:

Why do you think it is in any way whatsoever a good idea to attack your opponent's son? Trump thinks its a good idea because he is a moron.

Attacking Biden's son on stage gives him a perfect moment to react angrily and get back some momentum.

Oh it could very easily backfire, but I don't think Joe's capable of defending himself in the moment like that. If Tulis directly asked him "why was your son worth 50K a month to a foreign oil company, and do you honestly think they would put him on the board and paid him that amount if he wasn't your son?

Hell you could lead into it by bringing up nepotism, and corruption in general, and then pivot to attacking Biden for nepotism and corruption.

It's a high risk strategy, but I want someone to do it :colbert:

skylined! posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh because if they win the primary they're going to need Biden voters, who they likely won't then get..?!?! Because everyone that isn't Biden is trying to swing people currently on Team Biden to come to their team?

Come on.

Stop relying on conservative voters to win elections.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Biden's thing is a literal nothingburger. It is crappy in the way almost all politicians are crappy but that is all. I am 150% fine if Biden loses the nomination but the constant "what about Bidanism" feels more like trying to deflect.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ElLiftrs/status/1177647526599647232

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh it could very easily backfire, but I don't think Joe's capable of defending himself in the moment like that. If Tulis directly asked him "why was your son worth 50K a month to a foreign oil company, and do you honestly think they would put him on the board and paid him that amount if he wasn't your son?

Hell you could lead into it by bringing up nepotism, and corruption in general, and then pivot to attacking Biden for nepotism and corruption.

top relying on conservative voters to win elections.

Backing up Dirty Don's stupid and baseless attacks isn't a good idea, no matter what your plan is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Majorian posted:

Again, I hope you're right. But again, Mehdi Hassan is correct that taking a super-narrow scope towards the Mueller probe is part of why it turned out to be such a bust. I'm not seeing much evidence that the Democratic leadership has learned from that mistake.

sorta. i feel alot of the issue with the Mueller report was also that it was muddy and complex as gently caress. russia was really bad but it was vague and muddy and coudn't "directly" be tied to trump himself. it didnt help that mueller was doing stupid lawful neutral bullshit. this isn't that thankfully.

buddhist nudist posted:

I thought impeachment proceedings would just play into Trump's/Republicans' victim complex and bolster that whole martyr narrative.

God drat it feels good to be wrong. I don't think I've ever seen the GOP caught flat-footed like this before.

same. i think part of it is because these assholes are all talk. once the poo poo gets real they panic hard.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Majorian posted:

Mehdi cites these polls in his piece. In most of them, you have more people saying that Trump obstructed justice than saying that he didn't. That's been the case for months. I don't believe for a second that, without the Democratic leadership dragging its feet on impeachment so flagrantly, those "yes" numbers wouldn't have been higher.

Right, but pretty much every impeachment poll until the past week still had it underwater. Voters were apparently not OK with obstructing but also not OK with impeachment, until it was clear he was going after Biden. Like, the only thing that changed int he equation is the insertion of Biden, and a very easy to understand instance of corruption.

I don't necessarily disagree with the premise though and think that an impeachment inquiry should have started the moment they took the house, and democratic leadership should have led from the front. I think it would have swayed public opinion immediately.

Rigel posted:

I think the only thing of substance they'd have ready would be to drag out obstruction of justice from out of the closet, blow the dust off of it, and throw that in. Any more than that would be scrounging for little things.

Also Individual 1, and like, his entire twitter feed for gross incompetence.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nearly killed em! posted:

He definitely did though.

Being creepy with women, yes. In terms of this story, no he did not.

He was asked to pressure to fire the guy who investigated his son, a year after the guy had had finished the investigation.

Also, saying how much his son got for being on the board doesn’t loving matter. Those board seats are always gross amounts of money.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes lets intentionally just descend into "there is bad people on both sides, and actually it was smart of trump to investigate crooked joe biden' as the narrative here

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The right has run the "most persecuted people in history" routine ever since Lincoln freed the slaves so thinking that we shouldn't impeach to prove their persecution is pretty lol, they will find something else to feel extremely persecuted about

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

skylined! posted:

Right, but pretty much every impeachment poll until the past week still had it underwater. Voters were apparently not OK with obstructing but also not OK with impeachment, until it was clear he was going after Biden. Like, the only thing that changed int he equation is the insertion of Biden, and a very easy to understand instance of corruption.

Polls had support for the impeachment of Nixon underwater until very shortly before he resigned, though. The notion that the Democratic leaders showing, well, leadership wouldn't affect those numbers strikes me as a weird assumption.

(e: and to be fair, I know that's not what you're suggesting personally; I'm just seeing a lot of it among Pelosi defenders in the mainstream media)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mueller hosed up royally not going after junior and others. also since he's a rules humping republican he wouldn't come out and say "if the OLC opinion didn't exist i would have indicted the president". dancing around it doesn't help you have to be explicit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Che did nothing wrong and died a hero.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I like Nancy Pelosi. I want to hug her and kiss her and watch her sarcastically clap at things and people.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Groovelord Neato posted:

mueller hosed up royally not going after junior and others. also since he's a rules humping republican he wouldn't come out and say "if the OLC opinion didn't exist i would have indicted the president". dancing around it doesn't help you have to be explicit.

Being a billion years old didn't help either

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kaal posted:

Backing up Dirty Don's stupid and baseless attacks isn't a good idea, no matter what your plan is.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes lets intentionally just descend into "there is bad people on both sides, and actually it was smart of trump to investigate crooked joe biden' as the narrative here

Defending corruption to own the conservatives.

It is entirely possible, even a good thing, to point out corruption. Trump didn't do that. Plus I'm entirely sure it's possible to discuss Biden's corruption without invoking his son. I'm personally waiting for Warren to attack him over his cozy relationships with credit card companies.

Stop allowing corruption just because it is considered normal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this. i feel alot better about this whole thing rather than mueller report. thankfully.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SKULL.GIF posted:

So.. using republican talking points that have been largely debunked on their face is somehow fighting corruption? Not using them in a primary is.. endorsing corruption? Use your words.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Stop relying on conservative voters to win elections.

Perhaps you should contact your favorite primary candidate and suggest they take this tact then?

Like, what the gently caress kind of responses are these? You pondered why candidates aren't trying to kneecap the most popular candidate by attacking his failson, who is being attacked already by the very very unpopular president. It's a dumb loving idea on its face, regardless of how you feel about the moral consequences of doing or not doing it. Don't bring it up if you don't want to grapple with valid responses.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It is entirely possible, even a good thing, to point out corruption. Trump didn't do that. Plus I'm entirely sure it's possible to discuss Biden's corruption without invoking his son. I'm personally waiting for Warren to attack him over his cozy relationships with credit card companies.

This is a great speech to mention to Biden voters the next time you run into one. It's a horrible tactic to take in a primary, which is what your initial question was.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 27, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess this is what they are going with?

He got all frothed up when someone said that it was a horse race in the Democratic party

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LionArcher posted:

Being creepy with women, yes. In terms of this story, no he did not.

He was asked to pressure to fire the guy who investigated his son, a year after the guy had had finished the investigation.

Also, saying how much his son got for being on the board doesn’t loving matter. Those board seats are always gross amounts of money.

Don't forget that the international push for the guy's removal is because his 'investigations' were basically open-and-shut smother the story non-investigations. If Joe Biden was pushing for his removal because of the investigation into the company that his Son was on the board of it was because he DIDN'T find corruption, which only makes sense to a Trump-addled regressive.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

WHAT. IS. THIS. CORRUPTION?

Again and again there's references made to Biden's corruption but there's no spelling out what that corruption is, other than the 'He's obviously corrupt'.

I greatly dislike the guy and wake up every day hoping that this will be the day his primary campaign goes down in flames but I want details, not Fox News-esque vague allegations.

vvvv That was such an amazing misread. Beyond just an own goal it was stopping your own team from scoring and then making the own goal dumb.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 27, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Brony Car posted:

I like Nancy Pelosi. I want to hug her and kiss her and watch her sarcastically clap at things and people.

honestly the dumbest thing pelosi's done is not lean into the clap thing once everyone made it into a slay queen moment. "oh no actually i was agreeing with the president."

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Biden literally didn't do anything wrong in this case though. Unless you count the regular rear end nepotism of his son getting on the boards of companies and getting lots of money for the sole reason that his name is Biden

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1177650791856906240

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There wasn't corruption though?

sit on my Facebook posted:

Biden literally didn't do anything wrong in this case though. Unless you count the regular rear end nepotism of his son getting on the boards of companies and getting lots of money for the sole reason that his name is Biden

Yeah but that's on Hunter. Unless we have proof that Biden himself engaged in quid pro quo to get him that seat. People act as if its a given that there was because of the board position but what the executives hope happen and what actually happens are two different things.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1177603882169569280

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1177356327837978629

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1177606127531544577

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I hope we start seeing resignations around him soon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Lick your lips

bare your teeth

beat the drums

and howl at the moon in a wild rumpus

of impending impeachment.

And maybe consider participating in GOONPAC's inaugural Monthly Challenge before it ends on the 30th.

Let's donate to Texas candidates and orgs and hug it out. Or anybody else you wanna donate to.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Lol trump will never ever resign. We like to joke about Nixon speed runs, but that part's one echo of history we won't be hearing

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Obvious response of 'They accidentally released their internal newsletter out to the public'

Lol trump will never ever resign. We like to joke about Nixon speed runs, but that part's one echo of history we won't be hearing

Resigning would require Trump to admit he's wrong. He's far more likely to just retreat to Trump Tower (or Moscow lol) and lock himself into his room.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Angry_Ed posted:

Other things that were a decade ago, those same allegations of Insider Trading you now drag out. You can't play it both ways.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2013/04/16/177496734/how-congress-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

Congress is allowed to enrich themselves through legal forms of insider trading, made legal only because they make the law and say that it is legal. I remember when Martha Steward was judged by congress for insider trading, but they themselves did the exact same poo poo she was doing. Almost all of them do it.

It's extremely common for them to get on committees or vote in ways that enrich themselves rather than serve a public good. If some new and tasty spending bill comes up, they'll dump money into the contractor that gets the bill. It's like having cheat codes.

The STOCK act was made to change this behavior in 2013, but large sections of it were reversed no debate. Just a thirty second vote in which is passed. And largely we see the same behavior today that the STOCK act was made to curb.

Insider trading is legal for the political class, at least at the federal level. I'm not as sure about state. So if you get on some sort of committee for example, war or banking or what have you, the odds are good that you have stock and that you push the interests of whatever corporation you have a stake in. If you own a little stock, you're playing the market. Maybe you might feel some stewardship, but you definitely own that stock. But when you depend on that stock to survive? Or at least to maintain your lifestyle? You don't own that stock. The stock owns you. It shapes your behaviors and decisions.

Congress critters should not be allowed to own stock at all. It's too much of a conflict of interest.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

ryde posted:

There wasn't corruption though?

Yeah but that's on Hunter. Unless we have proof that Biden himself engaged in quid pro quo to get him that seat. People act as if its a given that there was because of the board position but what the executives hope happen and what actually happens are two different things.

:chef kissing fingers:

Hmm yes, why was Hunter Biden hired on to the board of directors for a forign oil company when his father was VP, and only left the board when his father started running for president.

:thunk:

People have this idea that corruption is when someone hands over a big bag of money with $$$ printed on the side and a to-do list off crimes, and anything short of that is totally legit business.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Someone needs to extract Rudy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ice Phisherman posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2013/04/16/177496734/how-congress-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

Congress is allowed to enrich themselves through legal forms of insider trading, made legal only because they make the law and say that it is legal. I remember when Martha Steward was judged by congress for insider trading, but they themselves did the exact same poo poo she was doing. Almost all of them do it.

It's extremely common for them to get on committees or vote in ways that enrich themselves rather than serve a public good. If some new and tasty spending bill comes up, they'll dump money into the contractor that gets the bill. It's like having cheat codes.

The STOCK act was made to change this behavior in 2013, but large sections of it were reversed no debate. Just a thirty second vote in which is passed. And largely we see the same behavior today that the STOCK act was made to curb.

Insider trading is legal for the political class, at least at the federal level. I'm not as sure about state. So if you get on some sort of committee for example, war or banking or what have you, the odds are good that you have stock and that you push the interests of whatever corporation you have a stake in. If you own a little stock, you're playing the market. Maybe you might feel some stewardship, but you definitely own that stock. But when you depend on that stock to survive? Or at least to maintain your lifestyle? You don't own that stock. The stock owns you. It shapes your behaviors and decisions.

Congress critters should not be allowed to own stock at all. It's too much of a conflict of interest.

I'm not disagreeing on any of this and it wasn't the point of what I was saying.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So I guess we're all just supposed to pretend to believe that all that money was just bestowed on Biden's worthless failson out of the goodness of the a Ukrainian energy company's heart?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm not disagreeing on any of this and it wasn't the point of what I was saying.

I was quoting you, but not disagreeing with you. McMagic was talking about insider trading and doing it badly, as if Pelosi is some sort of abberation. She's not. As far as insider trading goes, self-dealing, almost all of congress is guilty. Not legally, but only because they made up the law to say that in their very specific case, they can do insider trading and it's legal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:chef kissing fingers:

Hmm yes, why was Hunter Biden hired on to the board of directors for a forign oil company when his father was VP, and only left the board when his father started running for president.

:thunk:

People have this idea that corruption is when someone hands over a big bag of money with $$$ printed on the side and a to-do list off crimes, and anything short of that is totally legit business.

I have the odd suspicion that this isn't about corruption to you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

voted against by a total of five (5) congresspeople, lol

just had to look up who after that

Senators: Burr from NC, Bingaman from NM, Coburn from OK
Reps: Campbell from California, Woodall from Georgia

bingaman's a D, the rest are republicans