Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

VitalSigns posted:

So I guess we're all just supposed to pretend to believe that all that money was just bestowed on Biden's worthless failson out of the goodness of the a Ukrainian energy company's heart?

I absolutely believe Burisma intended to curry favor with the VP. I don't see evidence that they actually did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

So I guess we're all just supposed to pretend to believe that all that money was just bestowed on Biden's worthless failson out of the goodness of the a Ukrainian energy company's heart?

Or you know, you could focus on the cozy relationship with credit card companies or literally anything else instead of chasing after a fake lead manufactured by Republicans, tainted by Republicans, and incapable of standing up to the most basic of scrutiny.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I was quoting you, but not disagreeing with you. McMagic was talking about insider trading and doing it badly, as if Pelosi is some sort of abberation. She's not. As far as insider trading goes, self-dealing, almost all of congress is guilty. Not legally, but only because they made up the law to say that in their very specific case, they can do insider trading and it's legal.

Fair enough, I understand now.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Zotix posted:

Aug. 8 - Dan Coats interrupts a meeting to urge his deputy, Sue Gordon to resign. She announces her resignation.

Do you have a source for this? Holy poo poo.

edit: nevermind google gives plenty of sources. Man I did not catch that detail hahah

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hmm yes, why was Hunter Biden hired on to the board of directors for a forign oil company when his father was VP, and only left the board when his father started running for president.

There's clearly no other reason than corruption. Not like boards of directors aren't often staffed with faded glory celebrities and brothers-of/sons-of/fathers-of (because lol patriarchy) imbeciles to spice things up from their normal composition of blue blood imbeciles.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

negativeneil posted:

Do you have a source for this? Holy poo poo.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/09/politics/sue-gordon-resignation-coats-interrupts-meeting/index.html

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I mean, sure, investigate Biden's fail son via the appropriate channels. I don't care. I'm just saying that the whole firing incident is debunked and no-ones actually established a pattern of behavior beyond that, that would indicate that Biden was giving favors to Burisma to help Hunter.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The prosecutor wasn't even investigating Hunter, if the multitudinous articles on the subject are to be believed. The investigation that he quashed a year before Joe pressured for his firing was on actions the oligarch controlling the company had taken before Hunter was even on the board. Hunter being there was probably squirrelly too, but it has nothing to do with the story and isn't worth the brainspace at the moment considering the primary mode of defense for Routine Republican Bullshit for as long as any of us has been alive has been WHATABOUTISM in 20 foot neon letters exploding into an 80's hair-metal laserlight show with color fog, pyrotechnics and swearing fealty to a giant american flag and eagle projected on the ceiling of the stadium while the perpetrators sneak out the back.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ImpAtom posted:

I have the odd suspicion that this isn't about corruption to you at all.

Same to you my friend.

Angry_Ed posted:

Or you know, you could focus on the cozy relationship with credit card companies or literally anything else instead of chasing after a fake lead manufactured by Republicans, tainted by Republicans, and incapable of standing up to the most basic of scrutiny.

Por Que no los dos.

LOL if you think the ukrainian oil company was the only business trying to gain influence to the VP through his sons. If there's one there others.

I am in awe of all the people that are just fine with this kind of thing.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Lotta useful idiots doing Rudy's bidding for him.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Underneath Hunter Biden’s hair is a birthmark that few people know about. It looks a lot like the number 666.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the only thing a lot of folks like than fighting evil is to infight amongst selves. Decorum please. I would like to enjoy this GOP and Trump Rudy breakdown for as long as possible before disappointment happens

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Same to you my friend.

Por Que no los dos.

LOL if you think the ukrainian oil company was the only business trying to gain influence to the VP through his sons. If there's one there others.

It's weird that you have pivoted away from 'a primary candidate should use this attack to gain more support' to your current stance, without bothering to addressing rebuttals to your initial post as if it never happened and you are just a Pure Poster who is standing up to corruption in spite of the rest of us.

Gatts posted:

I think the only thing a lot of folks like than fighting evil is to infight amongst selves. Decorum please. I would like to enjoy this GOP and Trump Rudy breakdown for as long as possible before disappointment happens

Maybe we'll get one of those sweet 4 o clock news drops.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

hey here is where you can email nancy pelosi as speaker of the house. https://www.speaker.gov/contact

the only way for this dense person to know what we want as voters is to email her relentlessly about how we want a broad sweeping investigation that not only takes down trump but also Barr, Kushner, and barron

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Feldegast42 posted:

The right has run the "most persecuted people in history" routine ever since Lincoln freed the slaves so thinking that we shouldn't impeach to prove their persecution is pretty lol, they will find something else to feel extremely persecuted about

I know they will, but I didn't want to handle them a free reason to beat on about all through election season. Thankfully it looks like Trump and Rudi are competing to see who can look worse while most of the GOP runs for cover.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This line of thinking leads to punishing people who are being targeted by bribes and not the bribers, regardless of if they even accepted the bribe or not. You have a conclusion and you're hunting for whatever evidence might support that conclusion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Same to you my friend.

Por Que no los dos.

You are repeating debunked Republican talking points in an effort to try to make this About Biden. Nobody is actually fooled.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what biden did for his son (and by that i mean getting him on the board the rest is insane right wing fantasy) was definitely corrupt but it's not (unfortunately) illegal.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's irrational and impossible to demand that a politician's entire family stop doing any type of private business when they aren't themselves government employees.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

drat I had forgotten how rich Pelosi has become:

$21-105M in SF real estate
$5-25M in a housing development in Sacramento
$5-25M in Visa
$5-25M in apple stock
$5-25M home/winery
$5-10M invest in a resort hotel in Napa
$1-5M in Piatti Restaurant Company
$1-5M in salesforce
$1-5M in Disney
$1-2M million invested in other smaller companies
($50M - 232M)

Now don't worry, she does have loans too:

$17-80M in loans from Union Bank of California
$2-25M in loans from City National Securities
$1-5M in loans from Wells Fargo
$1-5M in loans from City National Bank
$1-5M in loans from Bank of America

(22M - 120M)

[http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/financial-pdfs/2018/10026982.pdf]

And that's just assets she is required by law to disclose.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ManBoyChef posted:

hey here is where you can email nancy pelosi as speaker of the house. https://www.speaker.gov/contact

the only way for this dense person to know what we want as voters is to email her relentlessly about how we want a broad sweeping investigation that not only takes down trump but also Barr, Kushner, and barron

You're better off writing and calling your senators and reps; they are the ones who will make the push on your behalf.

Kamala came out today for an impeachment inquiry of Kavanaugh btw, and there are more than a few dem reps making GBS threads on Barr atm.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Hypothetically, if I was a lazy shithead, and I didn't give a poo poo what my parents thought, and one of my parents was the Vice President or President, I would shop myself around to the most corrupt companies to get hired to do nothing but pick up a paycheck while on their board of directors.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Imagine, after an insane week for the Trump presidency and house democrats finally taking decisive action to check his behavior, people posting pages upon pages of "dems bad" and arguing not to take swift action on Trump confessing to soliciting election interference from a foreign state in exchange for state funds.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Why do people keep acting like Hunter Biden, Yale Law graduate, would not have gotten a job as a fry chef if not for his dad becoming Vice President in 2008. At that point he had already been a lobbyist, board member of AMTRAK, and generally Rich Dude.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lote posted:

Hypothetically, if I was a lazy shithead, and I didn't give a poo poo what my parents thought, and one of my parents was the Vice President or President, I would shop myself around to the most corrupt companies to get hired to do nothing but pick up a paycheck while on their board of directors.

You just described typical amoral nouvelle noblesse assholery. That's just the post feudalism version of trying to find which princess in the surrounding kingdoms comes with the biggest holdings to marry so you can gently caress off and exploit peasants for the rest of your miserable smallpocked life. Not that it's cool of course.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ham posted:

Imagine, after an insane week for the Trump presidency and house democrats finally taking decisive action to check his behavior, people posting pages upon pages of "dems bad"

Indeed, it's not like there's been months of inaction and incompetence from the party leadership or anything.

quote:

and arguing not to take swift action on Trump confessing to soliciting election interference from a foreign state in exchange for state funds.

No one here is arguing that swift action shouldn't be taken.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Trabisnikof posted:

$5-25M in Visa
$5-25M in apple stock
$5-25M home/winery
$1-5M in salesforce
$1-5M in Disney
($50M - 232M)

(22M - 120M)

this country has failed us

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Majorian posted:

Indeed, it's not like there's been months of inaction and incompetence from the party leadership or anything.

No one here is arguing that swift action shouldn't be taken.

Mcmagic and others literally want there not to be a vote, and to draw out the impeachment inquiry to election day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

skylined! posted:

It's weird that you have pivoted away from 'a primary candidate should use this attack to gain more support' to your current stance, without bothering to addressing rebuttals to your initial post as if it never happened and you are just a Pure Poster who is standing up to corruption in spite of the rest of us.

Maybe we'll get one of those sweet 4 o clock news drops.

I still think pointing out examples or nepotism and corruption could be a winning attack on Biden. I also never said it would be a way to gain support, just that it would hurt biden.

Taerkar posted:

This line of thinking leads to punishing people who are being targeted by bribes and not the bribers, regardless of if they even accepted the bribe or not. You have a conclusion and you're hunting for whatever evidence might support that conclusion.

This is a possibility, but there should be some acknowledgement by Hunter that he willingly took a bribe for what should have been an obvious reason at the time.

That should not be tolerated.

ImpAtom posted:

You are repeating debunked Republican talking points in an effort to try to make this About Biden. Nobody is actually fooled.

I haven't used a single talking point the GOP is using. I am however pointing out an obvious example of allowed corruption only to be told that it is not actually corruption, or that it's okay because it's just normal corruption.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think the best way to put it is that after all this time and disappointment we're just reflexively flinching and expecting the ball to be dropped any minute now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ham posted:

Mcmagic and other literally want there not to be a vote,

This simply isn't true.

quote:

and to draw out the impeachment inquiry to election day.

I don't think he's said election day, but I agree that the inquiry should be dragged out longer, largely because I strongly believe that there is more evidence of insane levels of corruption that will, in fact, keep the public engaged.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When do you think Trump holds his next campaign rally?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Trabisnikof posted:

$5-25M in Visa
$5-25M in apple stock
$5-25M home/winery
$1-5M in salesforce
$1-5M in Disney
($50M - 232M)

(22M - 120M)

So again, when you see that people have investments in companies, the more a person has invested in them, the more that that company owns them. Their stock takes ownership of the person and influences their behavior.

So for example, what happens when Mickey is possibly going into the public domain again? Does Pelosi say, "Sorry, your IP is going public, 75 + years after the death of the creator" or whatever is just too much. We can't extend it another twenty.

The answer is that she'll vote in line with her interests, which are Disney's interests, because her money influences her behavior and creates a need to protect no matter what. Disney no longer needs to bribe her. She's invested.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Think of the government as a giant gear

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1177659140585529345?s=20

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ManBoyChef posted:

this country has failed us

I am personally shocked to hear that a federal-level elected official is rich, especially one of the older ones that's been in politics for decades. Maybe the issue is more that it's pretty much impossible for a non-rich person to run, even with recent exceptions.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ah those nostalgic hellworld 1.0 greatest hits

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/JamesPindell/status/1177654999691735041?s=20

interesting. sounds like its gonna be 4 or 2.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xombie posted:

Why do people keep acting like Hunter Biden, Yale Law graduate, would not have gotten a job as a fry chef if not for his dad becoming Vice President in 2008. At that point he had already been a lobbyist, board member of AMTRAK, and generally Rich Dude.

Do you think Hunter Biden would have been a lobbyist and a board member of AMTRAK if his daddy wasn't United States Senator "AMTRAK Joe" Biden?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

I am personally shocked to hear that a federal-level elected official is rich, especially one of the older ones that's been in politics for decades. Maybe the issue is more that it's pretty much impossible for a non-rich person to run, even with recent exceptions.

The problem is that there are rich people and non-rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

The point is that her being that wealthy affects how she behaves, as a representative and as Speaker.