Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump has been committing real crimes since 2016, we have to be able to focus on things other than Trump and his crimes if we're going to be able to focus on anything other than him. And he's not the real problem and never has been.

Surprisingly enough, being rich and successful as an adult when your parents were also rich and successful is not actually a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Government officials using their offices to enrich themselves is directly related to any complete impeachment proceedings, because many of Trump's crimes are using his office to enrich himself.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Xombie posted:

Being from a rich and powerful family and subsequently becoming rich and powerful yourself isn't corruption, it's just normal lovely capitalism.

Yeah, this, I'm not saying its OK I'm just saying its not a proven crime. I'm not even saying its not suspicious - definitely worth looking into. But narrative here is that Joe Biden fired the prosecutor in quid quo pro for his son and that is not supported by the facts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump drawing on the hurricane map with a sharpie was three weeks ago and feels like a year ago.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I haven't seen this posted so apologies if this is a repeat. But holy poo poo, Rudy has lost his goddamn mind. Like, even moreo.

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/1177412407259516936?s=20

How long until Biden confirms it during a fit of senility on TV?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump drawing on the hurricane map with a sharpie was three weeks ago and feels like a year ago.

...gently caress that was only three weeks ago?

I think this is legitimately the first time I've suffered from Trump Time Dilation.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The quote is from months ago:

quote:

This item has been corrected to show that McConnell spoke to NPR months ago, not Friday.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Majorian posted:

I mean, first of all, what you quoted from mcmagic shows that he does want a vote, so your claim that he doesn't was unfounded.

Secondly, why would it be a failure for them if they don't act on what's available right now? Why not expand the scope, with more investigations directly and explicitly linked to impeachment? That would strengthen the House committees' investigative hands, and has a very good chance of dredging up even worse dirt on Trump. Dirt that could drag down other high-level Republicans.

The only reason I can think of for keeping a super-narrow scope for impeachment and then rushing it in before the end of the year, is if you think there isn't going to be any more interesting dirt on Trump that won't capture the public's attention. I don't think that will be the case, though.

The evidence on hand right now is damaging enough, is what I think. There's likely much worse down the rabbit hole, but progressives have been calling for impeachment since the beginning of this year based on Trump's actions regarding immigrants, child concentration camps, the environment, etc

You now have a chance to nail him against the wall for what is an entirely non-partisan easy to digest collusion/corruption issue, have republicans in the senate admit they're fine with Trump soliciting election interference, and continue with the rest of the investigations for the remainder of the election year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Cool. So why is it important to focus on Joe Biden right now?

Really? You can't think of any reasons why people right now might want to warn voters about the risks of Joe Biden's particular circle of corruption?

Xombie posted:

Surprisingly enough, being rich and successful as an adult when your parents were also rich and successful is not actually a crime.

Not everything that we judge leaders poorly for doing is illegal.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

fool_of_sound posted:

Government officials using their offices to enrich themselves is directly related to any complete impeachment proceedings, because many of Trump's crimes are using his office to enrich himself.

Again: the enoulments clause doesn't apply to one's non-public-employee family. The family of politicians do not get automatically banned from making money.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is explicitly legal for members of Congress to insider trade, and if you think a person with an investment banker spouse is too noble to take advantage of that, then you're exactly the type of gullible peon that reflexively defends people like Pelosi.

mcmagic posted:

I don't get why anyone would defend Pelosi. What the gently caress is her track record of accomplishment that you want to defend? Even if you want to give her credit for the ACA, that was a decade ago! Her political track record in the Obama and Trump era's is heinous. Forget about her poo poo politics, just as a political leading of a parliamentary party she is an utter failure.

It's a weird day to be agreeing with these two, but these are both accurate.

The perception that pelosi timed this well is just a side effect of how ready to break the dam already was. It's clear that low key a bunch of republicans were waiting for the dems to do something so they could proactively not defend trump tooth and nail. Instead we got months of toothless investigations because pelosi repeatedly refused to even try to hold trump officials in contempt. She was actively worse than no opposition because at least with an opening maybe someone who will try to oppose Trump and Miller's agenda might end up in charge.

She gets a lot of credit for convincing obama to see ACA through when he was read to give up, but that was a long time ago, too and her inaction over the last two years is beyond defense

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump editing the hurricane map was three weeks ago and feels like a year ago.

Christine Blasey Ford testified a year ago today and it feels like 4 years ago.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
If you guys saved more money and stopped having Starbucks lattes every day, maybe you’d have Pelosi money.

Read less Marx and read more Suze Orman.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

That is fine. Why focus on a debunked Republican talking point about Joe Biden in particular? There are no shortage of things.

The debunked part of that REPUBLICAN TALKING POINT is that Joe Biden withheld aid money from Ukraine to get them to fire a prosecutor that was looking into his son.

The non-debunked part of that, admitted proudly on video by Joe Biden himself, is that he personally withheld aid money that had been given to Ukraine by congress to force them to fire a prosecutor.

The important thing about this is that a lot of people are talking about how serious and damaging it is to National Security to withhold aid from Ukraine (which Biden objectively did) or how lovely it is for the executive branch to play with aid money that was already guaranteed by the legislative branch (Which Biden objectively did)

When you pretend this didn't happen and yell about National Security or the withholding of the aid itself your argument only works if everyone agrees to not think about the existence of Joe Biden which the majority of people are not going to do.

We should be focusing on the fact that Trump was targeting a political rival and hiding his phone calls.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is the kind of :discourse: brainworms that keep me coming back to D&D for entertainment.

A forum of extremely rational men who can zero in on the corruption when Rick Scott (R) awards public contracts to a company he put in his wife's name right before passing the legislation, but if Rick Scott (D) did the same thing we'd spin the very smartest rational justifications for why it's fine and okay and actually it would be wrong of him no to.
"It's Scott's wife's company, how is that graft. His wife sleeps on the opposite side of the bed, they're practically strangers!"
"Is he supposed to tell his wife to bankrupt her business for optics' sake?! What kind of monster are you?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mahoning posted:

Christine Blasey Ford testified a year ago today and it feels like 4 years ago.

christ that was only a year ago. i want off mr. trump's wild ride.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Trabisnikof posted:

People who are powerful and rich enough to run for major public office and win are, invariably, going to end up with successful and rich children. Looking "poorly" on them because their children are successful is, once again, not a winning issue. It isn't even rational.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
What Biden did or didn’t do during the last administration shouldn’t be swept under the rug, but what the CURRENT administration is doing RIGHT NOW is a much more pressing and urgent crisis that should be at the forefront of our national discussion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Really? You can't think of any reasons why people right now might want to warn voters about the risks of Joe Biden's particular circle of corruption?

Not any more than any of the other candidates, no. If anything if that was what you were worried about then Warren is who you should be looking at very closely since things seem to be favoring her.

Joe Biden is a massively lovely candidate for dozens of reasons. Why is Trump's debunked talking point anywhere near the top?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

For example, nominating a rapist to the Supreme Court: 100% legal and therefore cannot be criticized as wrong to do

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump has been committing real crimes since 2016

Has he? What crimes has Trump committed? Like actual crimes and not "I think this is wrong and also hate Donald Trump so it's a crime" crimes.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
All Bernie and Warrens' opposition have gotten out of them is a load of wet farts as far as I know, so hopefully the primary comes down to them.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Joe Biden is a massively lovely candidate for dozens of reasons. Why is Trump's debunked talking point anywhere near the top?

Because even super woke posters are poisoned by the superb media management of the American right wing.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Aspergeoisie posted:

Has he? What crimes has Trump committed? Like actual crimes and not "I think this is wrong and also hate Donald Trump so it's a crime" crimes.

Obstruction of justice.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zotix posted:

Mid July - Trump tells his Chief of Staff to withhold $400 million in military aid for Ukraine.

July 24 - Mueller's last testimony

July 25 - Ukraine phonecall

July 28 - Dan Coats (Director of National Intelligence) resigns because he feels his duties are at odds with Trump.

July 28 - Trump announces Ratcliffe as his pick.

Aug. 2 - Ratcliffe denounces his pick less than a week later amidst criticisms of partisan loyalty and resume padding.

Aug. 8 - Trump picks Maguire.

Aug. 8 - Dan Coats interrupts a meeting to urge his deputy, Sue Gordon to resign. She announces her resignation.

Aug. 12 - Whistleblower complaint is filed.

Aug. 15 - Coats and Gordon depart (both are Trump admin nominees).

Aug. 26 - Intelligence IG forwards complaint to the acting DNI.

Aug. 28 - First reporting that Ukraine military aid is being withheld.

Sep. 2 - Deadline passes for complaint submission.

Sep. 9 - Intel IG notifies House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff of an "credible, urgent concern" that DNI has overruled.

Sep. 10 - Schiff demands DNI submit complaint.

Sep. 9/10 - John Bolton resigns/is fired.

Sep. 12 - Trump finally releases Ukraine military aid.

Sep. 13 - Schiff subpoenas Maguire.

Sep. 17 - Maguire refuses to testify - suspicions of WH/DOJ stonewalling.

Sep. 18 - Media revelations of the "promise" made to foreign nation.

Sep. 19 - Media revelations that Ukraine is involved.

Sep. 19 - The Intelligence inspector general gives a classified briefing to the House Intelligence Committee.

Sep. 20 - It's reported that Trump pressed Zelensky to investigate Biden's son during a call on July 25.

Sep. 22 - Trump acknowledges that he discussed Joe Biden in a July call with Zelensky.

Sep. 24 - Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry.

Sep. 24 - The DNI sent a letter to the whistleblower's legal team noting that the executive is preventing his submission of the complaint, but reassures the whistleblower that they have followed procedure and they will be protected.

Sep. 24 - Senate unanimously (100-0) passed a non-binding resolution to release the whistleblower complaint.

Sep. 25 - Officials report that Maguire threatened to resign if pressured to stonewall Congress by the WH. (Maguire denies, Wapo stands by reporting)

Sep. 25 - Trump implicates Pence in the Ukraine scandal.

Sep. 25 - Whistleblower complaint is sent to Congress.

Sep. 25 - House backs release of whistleblower complaint 421-0.

Sep. 25 - Cracks in the GOP begin to show. After seeing the whistleblower complaint, two Republican Senators publicly voiced concern over the details.

One Senate Republican, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly, said the transcript’s release was a “huge mistake” that the GOP now has to confront and defend.
“Republicans ought not to be rushing to circle the wagons and say there’s no ‘there’ there when there’s obviously a lot that’s very troubling there,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) told reporters after reviewing the whistleblower’s complaint.

“It remains troubling in the extreme. It’s deeply troubling,” Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) told reporters Wednesday when asked about the transcript.

Sep. 26 - Whistleblower complaint is released.

Sep. 26 - New revelations from the complaint reveal a cover-up, in which the complaint was stored in a separate system used for classified information.

Sep. 26 - Maguire testifies. He defends the whistleblower and credibility of the complaint.

Sep. 26 - Trump likens whistleblower informant to a spy and a traitor, and remarks that spies were "dealt with differently" in the old days.

Great timeline but I think you missed the actual release of the call transcript/summary by Trump, which was huge. That was late on the 24th I believe.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xombie posted:

Again: the enoulments clause doesn't apply to one's non-public-employee family. The family of politicians do not get automatically banned from making money.

It's still unethical for a politician to use insider influence and knowledge to enrich their family. It's not as cut-and-dry, but we shouldn't pretend it's not an issue worth discussing. Like Kushner has been blatantly using Trump's influence to enrich himself the entire administration.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aspergeoisie posted:

he obstructed justice ten times.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

fool_of_sound posted:

It's still unethical for a politician to use insider influence and knowledge to enrich their family. It's not as cut-and-dry, but we shouldn't pretend it's not an issue worth discussing. Like Kushner has been blatantly using Trump's influence to enrich himself the entire administration.

Absolutely.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

There Bias Two posted:

How long until Biden confirms it during a fit of senility on TV?

Ngl that'd be pretty cool.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I haven't seen this posted so apologies if this is a repeat. But holy poo poo, Rudy has lost his goddamn mind. Like, even moreo.

Biden's gonna sick Corn Pop on ol' Rudy Snake-eyes, see? Nyeah!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The only Republican defense that they have been able to dredge up in the last 4 days is "what about Joe Biden" and then this thread is full of people saying "what about Joe Biden" without adding anything new or contesting any previously argued or debunked points.

I'm not saying that you're Republicans, but the phrase "useful idiots" comes to mind.

Nobody here. To my knowledge. Likes or wants Joe Biden to be in office.

In further addition, as far as I can tell nobody here is particularly happy about Joe biden's son being on the board of a Ukrainian oil company.

So, in a week where the Democrats are making a whole lot of good decisions for once and seemed to be on the right track, what exactly is it that you're trying to say?

Nancy Pelosi is an old Rich lady? You are preaching to the choir. Joe Biden is an old guy who should go away? Again cool story nobody gives a poo poo nobody disagrees that's it for your just repeatedly posting about Joe Biden as if that does what? What is your goal? What is winning look like for you? Who are you trying to convince? this just looks like a bunch of weird back padding and cries of persecution when you're just wrong about both the temperature of the room and the actual timeline of events.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 27, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aspergeoisie posted:

Oh baby what is you doin

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fool_of_sound posted:

lets all agree all lives matter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

No argument here. My only argument has been that focusing on Hunter Biden, given that there is a bunch of blatant Republican-generated lies surrounding his situation in Ukraine, is pointless and damaging to any attempt to point out corruption on the part of Joe Biden, especially when there's probably so much more to focus on (like credit card companies, something the American Public would gladly sink their teeth into I feel).

Also Kushner has been employed by the Administration in some capacity, has he not?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/MysterySolvent/status/1177449723696828418

speaking of mind worms.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

People who are powerful and rich enough to run for major public office and win are, invariably, going to end up with successful and rich children. Looking "poorly" on them because their children are successful is, once again, not a winning issue. It isn't even rational.

So objecting to nepotism is hating people for their success now.

What job did daddy get you lol

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
As far as I’m aware Impeachment doesn’t require criminal conduct. It’s a political process by which an unpopular president can be censured or removed from office based on what the house and senate deem most politically advantageous to them at any given time.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ryde posted:

Obstruction of justice.

Ah, so it's one of those "I think this is wrong and also hate Donald Trump so it's a crime" crimes. Gotcha.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

whoa hey buddy how dare you attack Kushner for his success, jealous much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.