Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Working sucks and all humans should strive to do as little as possible.

E: lmao of course this is the page topper.

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

Why do people keep acting like Hunter Biden, Yale Law graduate, would not have gotten a job as a fry chef if not for his dad becoming Vice President in 2008. At that point he had already been a lobbyist, board member of AMTRAK, and generally Rich Dude.

Hunter, would you like to make an official comment on the July 25th Ukraine phone call? I know Something Awful isn't your typical breaking news format but your dad is really getting put through the wringer right now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I still think pointing out examples or nepotism and corruption could be a winning attack on Biden. I also never said it would be a way to gain support, just that it would hurt biden.

There are absolutely legit ways and reasons to go after Biden in a primary, and candidates have and should. This is not one of them and would almost assuredly backfire, given context of... well everything.

If you need evidence, ask Castro how his campaign is doing.

Edit and I’m done since this is bordering primary chat.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ManBoyChef posted:

this country has failed us

The country can't fail those it was never meant to serve. Gibbering idiot president aside, it's working precisely as designed.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
An important tweet that reminds us to not miss the forest through the trees:

https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/1177658951506243584

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I still think pointing out examples or nepotism and corruption could be a winning attack on Biden. I also never said it would be a way to gain support, just that it would hurt biden.

This is very short-sighted, because all people running for president are rich, which all of their children benefit from to an unfair degree compared to everyone else.

quote:

This is a possibility, but there should be some acknowledgement by Hunter that he willingly took a bribe for what should have been an obvious reason at the time.

That should not be tolerated.

Hunter Biden isn't a public official.

quote:

I haven't used a single talking point the GOP is using. I am however pointing out an obvious example of allowed corruption only to be told that it is not actually corruption, or that it's okay because it's just normal corruption.

Being from a rich and powerful family and subsequently becoming rich and powerful yourself isn't corruption, it's just normal lovely capitalism.

"Your children are too successful" is not a winning issue against candidates for political office.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Majorian posted:

This simply isn't true.

I don't think he's said election day, but I agree that the inquiry should be dragged out longer, largely because I strongly believe that there is more evidence of insane levels of corruption that will, in fact, keep the public engaged.

mcmagic posted:

She's completely bungling the political strategy as usual. Instead of hearings and new dirt on Trump dominating the news for the next year she wants to get it over quickly.... For what? To pass more bills Mitch McConnell will shred? Trump should be taking a beating like he is this week for the next year and she doesn't seem to want that.

mcmagic posted:

She's only crooked as in typical Washington crooked. The main issue is that she's from a different political era which makes her incompetent politically and completely unsuited to the historical moment. She has no idea what she's up against and literally no strategy to win other than short term holds.

Your logic here makes no sense. D's are politically winning this week (through nothing they themselves did) and Pelosi is trying to make this week's story as short as possible. How could that possibly be a good idea?

Your second point makes even less sense. Make them take the vote as close to the election as possible!!!! (If there even is a vote)

If democrats don't act immediately on what's available right now, it ends up being a failure for them. The impression would be that Trump's behavior is somehow acceptable or democrats are failing to fulfill their constitutional obligations as representatives and Trump is "winning".

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Whats the deal with the joker movie stuff?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you think Hunter Biden would have been a lobbyist and a board member of AMTRAK if his daddy wasn't United States Senator "AMTRAK Joe" Biden?

Congrats, you’ve discovered that rich well connected people get tons of special treatment.

Has fuckall to do with Trump committing crimes.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Wow, that's actually quite the statement from McConnell, the guy who offhandedly admitted he has a double-standard for supreme court justice procedures. I know Lindsey Graham has been sea lioning for Trump, but McConnell has been unusually quiet.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ryde posted:

Incels have adopted Joker as their hero (he's the 'anti-chad' that fights the 'chad' Batman/Bruce Wayne). The Army sent out a memo to all its staff that they fear an incel attack is coming with the release of the Joker movie.

edit: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/joker-criticism-fallout-891081/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Congrats, you’ve discovered that rich well connected people get tons of special treatment.

Sure, but some people think its bad when rich people abuse their power to enrich themselves even when the person isn't Trump.

"Trump committing crimes" isn't the only loving problem with this country right now. Hell, it isn't even the biggest problem.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump being blissfully unaware of the poo poo he's in reminds me of another great roth piece:

quote:

It can be difficult to remember given that he routinely appears on television with toilet paper on the soles of both his shoes and at least one of his hands stuck in a big jug of peanut butter, but Donald Trump’s opening position in all things is that he has never been wrong. He has been wronged, and is in fact wronged constantly—by terrible nasty TV actresses and fake cable news anchors and the other antagonists he’s collected over a lifetime of nonstop blowsy public feuding. But that is just the price he pays for always being right and never being afraid to speak out on whatever he has just seen on television. He carries that weight lightly, give or take the fact that he whines about it constantly. There is an entire cable television network devoted to telling this story over and over again, and every day Trump parks his rear end in front of it and watches embalmed-looking septuagenarian newsreader types talk about how correct he is and heatedly demand apologies on his behalf, for hours on end. It’s the treatment that he has always believed he deserves.

In a narrow sense, it would be easier for Trump to get away with his ambitious never-been-wrong gambit if he had ever bothered to learn anything about anything or simply opted not to talk about things he didn’t know about. But in the broader and Trumpier sense, it’s actually far simpler the other way around, and not just because he has always relied on a rotating crew of servile factotums to clean up his messes for him. A jarring number of professional political analyst types still persist in seeing some sort of strategy in this, which is both their job and self-evidently ridiculous. There is no deft feinting or tactical distraction involved when Trump returns from a trip abroad and says something like “no one ever knew that there even was such a thing as France, but that’s something that I’ve been seeing and we’re going to look into it.” He is not constructing a Reality Distortion Field or subtly signaling to his base. He just forgot there was a France and therefore just assumed there wasn’t one.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donald-trump-is-not-going-to-let-this-hurricane-thing-g-1837889913

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Crackbone posted:

Yup, the willingness to entertain the obvious whataboutism in any capacity is a mistake

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

ah those nostalgic hellworld 1.0 greatest hits

I forgot that Trump pardoned Scooter Libby.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ryde posted:

Solipsistic white man becomes an insane mass murderer because society "failed" him by not providing him undeserved praise and validation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ryde posted:

I absolutely believe Burisma intended to curry favor with the VP. I don't see evidence that they actually did.

hahaha ok

just taking money from people intending to bribe me, nothing to see here

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ewiley posted:

Wow, that's actually quite the statement from McConnell, the guy who offhandedly admitted he has a double-standard for supreme court justice procedures. I know Lindsey Graham has been sea lioning for Trump, but McConnell has been unusually quiet.

My guess is McConnell has a lot of shady dealings both by himself and via his wife being Transportation Secretary, and he doesn't want the investigations turning in his direction.

Or, he's confident not enough Republicans will flip to vote for removal.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure, but some people think its bad when rich people abuse their power to enrich themselves even when the person isn't Trump.

"Trump committing crimes" isn't the only loving problem with this country right now. Hell, it isn't even the biggest problem.

Hi, pest control? Got a bad infestation of Whatabouts here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ham posted:

If democrats don't act immediately on what's available right now, it ends up being a failure for them. The impression would be that Trump's behavior is somehow acceptable or democrats are failing to fulfill their constitutional obligations as representatives and Trump is "winning".

I mean, first of all, what you quoted from mcmagic shows that he does want a vote, so your claim that he doesn't was unfounded.

Secondly, why would it be a failure for them if they don't act on what's available right now? Why not expand the scope, with more investigations directly and explicitly linked to impeachment? That would strengthen the House committees' investigative hands, and has a very good chance of dredging up even worse dirt on Trump. Dirt that could drag down other high-level Republicans.

The only reason I can think of for keeping a super-narrow scope for impeachment and then rushing it in before the end of the year, is if you think there isn't going to be any more interesting dirt on Trump that won't capture the public's attention. I don't think that will be the case, though.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

ewiley posted:

It's as if he has recently been disarmed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crackbone posted:

While it's extremely important to get Trump out, it's also extremely important to remember that he's a symptom, not a cause. Attacking the cause means some of your, ahem, "faves" are gonna be implicated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

It is fine to think it sucks. Focusing on it while Trump is commiting For Real Crimes doesn't make sense. Hoping other Democrats will repeat Republican talking points as if any of them didn't benefit from nepotism is staggering ignorant.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

USPOL: Just another day in fucknutsville

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Yup, the willingness to entertain the obvious whataboutism in any capacity is a mistake

The willingness to ignore when "our side" does bad things just because the other side is worse is a mistake.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I haven't seen this posted so apologies if this is a repeat. But holy poo poo, Rudy has lost his goddamn mind. Like, even moreo.

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/1177412407259516936?s=20

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I haven't seen this posted so apologies if this is a repeat. But holy poo poo, Rudy has lost his goddamn mind. Like, even moreo.

Well we should investigate Biden taking out a contract on Rudy Guliani immediately :downs:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you guys know crying about whataboutism is silly especially when the person isn't trying to excuse trump's criminality or corruption when bringing up someone else's.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ewiley posted:

I can't tell whether he thinks he can get a quick acquittal that he can spin as "exoneration", or if he just sees the writing on the wall. It's pretty hard to spin the president volunteering information about his crimes and Rudy adding additional detail as a "nothingburger", but that doesn't necessarily mean he won't try.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

My guess is McConnell has a lot of shady dealings both by himself and via his wife being Transportation Secretary, and he doesn't want the investigations turning in his direction.

Or, he's confident not enough Republicans will flip to vote for removal.

I think he’s more confident he can turn it into a mockery once he gets his hands on it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ewiley posted:

exactly. i think we will probably have a scenerio 4 still but a 2 would be nice.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

lol. ok now this is getting good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

The willingness to ignore when "our side" does bad things just because the other side is worse is a mistake.

That is fine. Why focus on a debunked Republican talking point about Joe Biden in particular? There are no shortage of things.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It is fine to think it sucks. Focusing on it while Trump is commiting For Real Crimes doesn't make sense. Hoping other Democrats will repeat Republican talking points as if any of them didn't benefit from nepotism is staggering ignorant.

Trump has been committing real crimes since 2016, we have to be able to focus on things other than Trump and his crimes if we're going to be able to focus on anything other than him. And he's not the real problem and never has been.

ImpAtom posted:

That is fine. Why focus on a debunked Republican talking point about Joe Biden in particular? There are no shortage of things.

People have been raising legitimate concerns about the Hunter Biden/Ukraine dealings since 2014 at least. Why do we have to pretend that it isn't shady just because Republicans are using it to attack Joe Biden?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I can't tell whether he thinks he can get a quick acquittal that he can spin as "exoneration", or if he just sees the writing on the wall. It's pretty hard to spin the president volunteering information about his crimes and Rudy adding additional detail as a "nothingburger", but that doesn't necessarily mean he won't try.

Until the base fractures trump is still de facto leader of the party. Mitch is going to try to hatchet job the procedure once he gets it in the senate. No way he throws trump under the bus until his majority is legit in danger.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

VitalSigns posted:

hahaha ok

just taking money from people intending to bribe me, nothing to see here

Hunter took the money, not Joe.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

Being from a rich and powerful family and subsequently becoming rich and powerful yourself isn't corruption, it's just normal lovely capitalism.

There are a ton of rich failsons in America, what made the VP's kid so special

Xombie posted:

"Your children are too successful" is not a winning issue against candidates for political office.

Being a corrupt criminal has never taken down any candidate that I can think of :abuela:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump has been committing real crimes since 2016, we have to be able to focus on things other than Trump and his crimes if we're going to be able to focus on anything other than him. And he's not the real problem and never has been.

Cool. So why is it important to focus on Joe Biden right now?

What about Joe Biden demands everything be dropped and Trump's deflection talking point be treated like anything but that?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ewiley posted:

Could be McConnell is getting a grasp of the issue. The House voting to impeach is one thing. Admittedly a BIG thing. But the actual hearing/trial in the Senate would be absurdly bad for the GOP when you think of the witness list they would call to testify in arguably the most watch Senate session ever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ryde posted:

Hunter took the money, not Joe.

no no no see my immediate family was taking the bribes, that has nothing to do with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

Saying "all lives matter" when someone talks about black lives mattering is not a sign someone is being a caring person. The guy vomiting up "dems bad too" during the initial days of the impeachment of trump are not a guy that is actually really suddenly interested in joe biden's sons moral conduct.