Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

These weekly videos are not only tedious and awful to watch, they're just so pointless.

The point is to maintain the illusion of progress and thereby help whales rationalizing their sunk costs and not feeling too bad for their upcoming purchases. The actual topic or quality of the video is completely accessory.

E:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Hey goons please don't steal things that I write and repost them as your own, even if it is shitposts. Seriously, that's aggravating.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How was the pizza, Lesnick?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mr Fronts posted:

Hey goons please don't steal things that I write and repost them as your own, even if it is shitposts. Seriously, that's aggravating.

<triggered>

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is that a screenshot of?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

chaosapiant posted:

Star Citizen

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen

Now with persimmons. When I was a kid playing Tie Fighter or Elite I always thought, this is great, but one day i'll also be able to pick persimmons.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 27, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Farming is IN!

checkmate goonies.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Farming is IN!

How do the servers stay up long enough to grow anything?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1177601534583947264

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

tak posted:

Kind of a moot point but j4g is not allowed sorry

People were saying this unironically only 5 short years ago.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Plot twist: the current “game” is actually running in-game on a screen in your ship’s cockpit. That’s why performance is so bad. At citcon they’ll do a big reveal where they boot up the game and then the camera pans out and you can finally see the real game they’ve been working on all this time and all you mean goons will have to eat your words

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

Since Citizens love sucking Crobblers, orange shaved balls, with a leafy garnish.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Are they showing these long forgotten play segments like arena commander attention because the PU and SQ42 are so hosed they need to keep the Commandos distracted?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Soricidus posted:

Plot twist: the current “game” is actually running in-game on a screen in your ship’s cockpit. That’s why performance is so bad. At citcon they’ll do a big reveal where they boot up the game and then the camera pans out and you can finally see the real game they’ve been working on all this time and all you mean goons will have to eat your words

Amusingly, this is actually impossible, because they've been unable to get in-game cameras (i.e. like an external cockpit/turret camera) working in Cryengine, which is a major part of multi-crew ships.

monkeytek posted:

Are they showing these long forgotten play segments like arena commander attention because the PU and SQ42 are so hosed they need to keep the Commandos distracted?

:iiam:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 27, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile on functional dev teams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5cAm9kZvv0

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chris Roberts looks at this and thinks "Fools! You could have made at least seven million dollars worth of ships with all those mechanics."

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That game will be feature complete and functional about the same time Star Citizen is. It will also be about as fun.

"LOL the scope is everything" is not how you do game design.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Amusingly, this is actually impossible, because they've been unable to get in-game cameras (i.e. like an external cockpit/turret camera) working in Cryengine, which is a major part of multi-crew ships.

Oh right. Whatever did happen to the much-hyped render-to-texture tech that would somehow revolutionise everything?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

OUT:

Allowing user generated content is a key design goal
Our modding tools will allow players to design new ships for both submission to the persistent RSI ship dealer network or to build custom ships and items for the self-hosted multiplayer mode.

IN:

Fruit

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

OUT:

Virtual Reality is here!
We have backed Oculus Rift and will support it in Star Citizen / Squadron 42. Who doesn't want to sit in their cockpit, hands on your joystick and throttle, swiveling your head, to track that enemy fighter that just blew by?

IN:

Caves

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Mr Fronts posted:

OUT:

Virtual Reality is here!
We have backed Oculus Rift and will support it in Star Citizen / Squadron 42. Who doesn't want to sit in their cockpit, hands on your joystick and throttle, swiveling your head, to track that enemy fighter that just blew by?

IN:

Caves

Even they know OR will have died a death long before this thing could ever be released.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the real life, is this just fantasy
Caught in a landside, no escape from reality

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

September's Jump Point

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bumble He posted:

Is this the real life, is this just fantasy
Caught in a landside, no escape from reality

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy.
I'm sure I can get that Idris just by playing the game normaleeeeee

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hot off the test servers: 8 minutes of thrilling cave action

My favorite bit is the part at 2:15 where he tries to drop a glowstick and it goes skittering off to the left instead of falling down.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That "game" confuses me. What is the purpose of all that crap? Want a door? what kind of hinge will it use? is it connected to the proper subnetwork and programmed properly so that it can receive the commands from the button located across the room? Does it have access to power and is the generator properly insulated so that... I just want to open the goddamn door and, oh god! the space rats ate the cabling and now I have to program the cabling robots to look for spots where the cable is chewed so I'll need a centralized handling station and this requires multiple extra doors.

I think it is interesting in that it points to a possible future where people will be given hyper-detailed virtual tools to help express themselves in a VR society.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

That "game" confuses me. What is the purpose of all that crap? Want a door? what kind of hinge will it use? is it connected to the proper subnetwork and programmed properly so that it can receive the commands from the button located across the room? Does it have access to power and is the generator properly insulated so that... I just want to open the goddamn door and, oh god! the space rats ate the cabling and now I have to program the cabling robots to look for spots where the cable is chewed so I'll need a centralized handling station and this requires multiple extra doors.

I think it is interesting in that it points to a possible future where people will be given hyper-detailed virtual tools to help express themselves in a VR society.

It's a game for engineering nerds. If you don't want to do the engineering you probably won't have to- you can just load up the coolest blueprints and tool around. But just like Space Engineers or KSP, that would be missing the point. There's a real feeling of ownership in having built all the systems yourself.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Hot off the test servers: 8 minutes of thrilling cave action

My favorite bit is the part at 2:15 where he tries to drop a glowstick and it goes skittering off to the left instead of falling down.

Jesus, it's really just a jumble of rock assets mashed together with no light sources

If anyone was still wondering why they're pushing out cave gameplay so quickly and suddenly, it's because it's incredibly easy to make

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile over in CIG land, it turns out the spaceship popularity contest is probably rigged. Shocker, I know.

But if you visit the page and inspect the tournament brackets, you can see that the Cutlass, "Ship 01," is slated to go all the way to the final round, where it will apparently face "Ship 09" whose identity I don't think we know yet. The Gladius is already slated to be the winner of today's showdown.

Not that this matters in the slightest but LOL that they are cheating their own popularity contest.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Jesus, it's really just a jumble of rock assets mashed together with no light sources

If anyone was still wondering why they're pushing out cave gameplay so quickly and suddenly, it's because it's incredibly easy to make

Nonsense, didn't you watch the 12-minute video about how difficult and intense it is to work on caves? You have to dial the lighting slider all the way to zero, and do your sound effects with reverb!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Not that this matters in the slightest but LOL that they are cheating their own popularity contest.
In a better company the winner would be the most expensive or a new ship they're pushing

In this company they're just doing it to do it pointlessly

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Meanwhile over in CIG land, it turns out the spaceship popularity contest is probably rigged. Shocker, I know.

But if you visit the page and inspect the tournament brackets, you can see that the Cutlass, "Ship 01," is slated to go all the way to the final round, where it will apparently face "Ship 09" whose identity I don't think we know yet. The Gladius is already slated to be the winner of today's showdown.

I examined it closely, and I really doubt it. If that's really the case, then the topmost ship in each bracket is going to win every time. They seem like placeholder values.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

Nonsense, didn't you watch the 12-minute video about how difficult and intense it is to work on caves? You have to dial the lighting slider all the way to zero, and do your sound effects with reverb!

Yes but do they have cave drippy water sounds? Every cave has to have drippy water sounds, right?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

tooterfish posted:

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy.
I'm sure I can get that Idris just by playing the game normaleeeeee

I see a giant sweaty thumb of a man
Freyermuth! Freyermuth!
Will you look at that Lando

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They keep touting caves and weapon attachments. The original Crysis game already had both of those, so the implementation should be pretty trivial.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And yet the initial implementation of the attachments was absolutely hosed and visually glitchy...!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bubbacub posted:

They keep touting caves and weapon attachments. The original Crysis game already had both of those, so the implementation should be pretty trivial.

Crysis was so far ahead of its time that it can't even be recreated today. That's why CIG chose CryEngine, it's able to support games from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

so the implementation should be pretty trivial.
Remember when CIG's launcher tried to open so many sockets it caused enterprise grade routers around the world to glow white hot and then explode?

Trivial. LOL.