Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Aspergeoisie posted:

Let me know when you have anything more than a crime invented by way of investigating other supposed crimes that never happened, none of which Trump was ever or will ever be charged with committing.

Obstruction is still obstruction and illegal even if you are not charged with the original crime being investigated. Mueller didn't charge Trump because of DoJ policy and explicitly said that Congress should look into it.

Ken Buck - “Could you charge the president with a crime after he left office?”
Mueller - “Yes.”
Ken Buck - "You believe you could charge the president of the United States with obstruction of justice after he left office?”
Mueller - “Yes.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm fairly sure that poster is just a troll.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Calling it now biden will come out and admit to corrupt acts in ukraine in 2018 but that he did it all in cooperation with trump and has it on tape then he bursts into flame and is reborn as biden the white in the back of the cop car hauling him and trump off to jail, rudy then bursts in from offstage declares that he was there, too, and slaps handcuffs on himself and voluntarily gets in the back of the cop car with trump and biden

i'm gonna laugh so hard when y'all nerds are wrong and I'm vindicated

That's far too good of a plot twist for the writers of this season.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

Depending on the specifics of the conversations between Hunter and his father it could be unregistered lobbying.
Why are you deeply concerned, right now, about a single case of unregistered lobbying from 2016.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I'm fairly sure that poster is just a troll.

This. Please stop, everyone. Look at their post history.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Taerkar posted:

The amount of (for lack of a better term) inbreeding in corporate board rooms is legendary. A good chunk of any Board of Directors are drinking buddies, golf buddies, or fellow idiots from other companies. The 'Golden Parachute CEOs' get a lot of attention but the boards are in many ways even worse.

the great documentary inside job about the recession and the failure in the aftermath had a whole segment on how economists at the biggest schools are on a whole bunch of boards (as are the people obama put in the important economic positions of his admin). it's absolutely insane poo poo like 300k to sit on a board. it's not a real job!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

theflyingorc posted:

Why are you deeply concerned, right now, about a single case of unregistered lobbying from 2016.
Just posting "lol drumpf bad" for a thousand pages is boring

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Either:

Because people itt keep defending it as something we should ignore?

or

Because the Biden camp has been stonewalling people about the Hunter/Ukraine deal since 2014 and its the middle of the primary and Biden is leading?

(Also I'm deeply concerned about the impeachable offenses Trump committed in 2016 yet the Democrats are refusing to even discuss, but that's a different topic after all.)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

This. Please stop, everyone. Look at their post history.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Y’all don’t even need to debate the mueller obstruction charges with this moron. Trump has been involved in more than 3500 legal cases in the past three decades and at one point was determined to lie too frequently to take the stand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_affairs_of_Donald_Trump

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

the great documentary inside job about the recession and the failure in the aftermath had a whole segment on how economists at the biggest schools are on a whole bunch of boards (as are the people obama put in the important economic positions of his admin). it's absolutely insane poo poo like 300k to sit on a board. it's not a real job!

Yeah, the rich find all sorts of ways to just give each other a bunch of money for no reason, because they've collectively realized that if they all watch each other's backs then they all get to be rich forever with no risk of ever becoming poor.

Basically like cops, but with "buying yachts" instead of "getting to shoot black people"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Taerkar posted:

That's far too good of a plot twist for the writers of this season.

With the way things are going i probably erred too strongly on the side of not ridiculous enough

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I wonder when we'll finally tire of labeling "having an opinion" as "bias"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Biden apparently runs some shady org and controls ukraine, pelosi is rich, sanders has 2 houses.

clearly this all means we should elect trump again as both sides are bad

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

bird cooch posted:

I'm trying to drag the conversation to a crux so that it can be actually discussed inside some defined terms in the second half and pointing out that these posters are 100% falling for the only line of defense that the Republicans have been able to field in the first portion of my post.

That Joe Biden is an imperfect politician and person? Agreeing with the basic concept doesn't necessarily lead to supporting the GOP's only defense to the whistleblower's report. I am sure that we can discuss multiple things at the same time without weakening our position!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Celexi posted:

Biden apparently runs some shady org and controls ukraine, pelosi is rich, sanders has 2 houses.

Ideally we would fire all politicians and billionaires into the sun. It would be a fantastic public works project. Alas, we have to settle for pushing Bernie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177669563477118976

the king has spoken.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Celexi posted:

three houses thank you.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
FYI since Trump is a politician and claims to be a billionaire, we should have a special program for him. Maybe make him the first human on an extrasolar trajectory?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Either:

or

Because the Biden camp has been stonewalling people about the Hunter/Ukraine deal since 2014 and its the middle of the primary and Biden is leading?

Please point out somebody who disagrees with you that the yale educated fail son of a rich important Guy having a board board seat is a bad thing. Or how it in anyway effects what Trump is doing right now?

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2019

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bird cooch posted:

The only Republican defense that they have been able to dredge up in the last 4 days is "what about Joe Biden" and then this thread is full of people saying "what about Joe Biden" without adding anything new or contesting any previously argued or debunked points.

I'm not saying that you're Republicans, but the phrase "useful idiots" comes to mind.

Nobody here. To my knowledge. Likes or wants Joe Biden to be in office.

In further addition, as far as I can tell nobody here is particularly happy about Joe biden's son being on the board of a Ukrainian oil company.

So, in a week where the Democrats are making a whole lot of good decisions for once and seemed to be on the right track, what exactly is it that you're trying to say?

Nancy Pelosi is an old Rich lady? You are preaching to the choir. Joe Biden is an old guy who should go away? Again cool story nobody gives a poo poo nobody disagrees that's it for your just repeatedly posting about Joe Biden as if that does what? What is your goal? What is winning look like for you? Who are you trying to convince? this just looks like a bunch of weird back padding and cries of persecution when you're just wrong about both the temperature of the room and the actual timeline of events.

Slowpoke! posted:

The Trump thing is separate and it is a Republican talking point to marry the two topics.

I tried to point this out but a lot of the conversation right now is revolving around how terrible it was to withhold aid money from Ukraine because it hurts our national security, and how lovely it is for the big man to play with aid that was guaranteed by the legislative branch.

Both things Joe Biden objectively did.

When you ignore that you are making your argument weaker because you are too concerned with defending Joe Biden to focus on the fact that Trump was targeting a political rival and hiding the records of his actions which are completely new ways of breaking the law that Trump objectively did and we have him caught red handed doing.

Flipping the gently caress out at anyone criticizing Joe Biden is just helping Trump at this point. It's extremely weird how a large number of people here can not process criticism of Joe Biden as anything but defense of Donald Trump to the detriment of the entire process.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Nothing says seriousness like fisheye and old tv filters.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Are...you familiar with how rich people work? This is what most board members do, and there are a shitload of companies with board members out there.

Yeah it's called nepotism, Xombie is claiming this isn't that and that Hunter got the job independent of who his family is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177539052683309056

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's called nepotism, Xombie is claiming this isn't that.

It literally is not called nepotism.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

Either:

It's only coming up because of the Trump thing. And again, the part Trump is talking about? Not corruption.

quote:

Yes, that is why it came up today, good point

I'm not arguing that Biden has done nothing wrong - I don't like the guy, of course he's done lots of lovely things, and I desperately want him to lose the primary. But the prosecutor thing - the part everyone is referring to on TV? Wasn't corruption, doesn't even make sense that it would be.

It's also just weak poo poo to hang Biden by - even if true, this kind of tenuous connection isn't worth denying him the nomination. His incredibly lovely voting record is, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dammerung posted:

That Joe Biden is an imperfect politician and person? Agreeing with the basic concept doesn't necessarily lead to supporting the GOP's only defense to the whistleblower's report. I am sure that we can discuss multiple things at the same time without weakening our position!

Discussing this specific thing at this specific time when it isn't even in the top 5 serious issues with Joe Biden *this month* makes it feel more like supporting the GOPs talking point, not worrying about Biden's corruption.

I said yesterday it would own if this torpedoed Biden's campaign but I'm not going to pretend Republican talking points are valid when I can point to Literally Everything Else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

god i love how broke brained and petty he is. like jesus christ.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Well this conversation would probably stop if people weren't defending corruption!

If someone says "hey I think bribery is fine, don't hate the player hate the game" that's probably not going to pass without comment so it's weird to say stuff like that then complain that people are discussing it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've interacted with more than a few of these types over the years in my professional career and they're... special. Including one that was a bit of rarity of 'He married into his wife's money'. Being around them for more than one or two interactions should be enough to dispel any sort of belief in them being smarter, more talented, or otherwise better than the rest of the population.

Remember back to that lovely shift manager you had to (or still have to) deal with when you were working retail or the like. They're just like that shithead, but even worse because More Money = Better Than.

Groovelord Neato posted:

three houses thank you.

Guillotine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I tried to point this out but a lot of the conversation right now is revolving around how terrible it was to withhold aid money from Ukraine because it hurts our national security, and how lovely it is for the big man to play with aid that was guaranteed by the legislative branch.

When you ignore that you are making your argument weaker because you are too concerned with defending Joe Biden to focus on the fact that Trump was targeting a political rival and hiding the records of his actions which are completely new ways of breaking the law that Trump objectively did and we have him caught red handed doing.

Flipping the gently caress out at anyone criticizing Joe Biden is just helping Trump at this point. It's extremely weird how a large number of people here can not process criticism of Joe Biden as anything but defense of Donald Trump to the detriment of the entire process.

idk if you know this, but there are possibly zero people in this thread who like biden. Literally we probably have more trump supporters in here than biden supporters

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

yeah except the fact that this point has been beaten to death as untrue not just kind of untrue but completely and categorically untrue over and over again.

Pick a page it's been debunked within two or three pages of that one.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Flipping the gently caress out at anyone criticizing Joe Biden is just helping Trump at this point.

Yeah, I mean honestly who the gently caress wants to go down swinging for Joe Biden? Donald Trump broke the law. Whether Biden did it too is irrelevant. But just because that is the chud deflection doesn't mean you take the bait and defend him. They'll be even more mad if you respond by saying "well if that's true, Joe Biden should also go to jail." Don't set this up as "one is guilty, one is not". Set it up as "They're both guilty, they should both go to jail."

For christsakes the Democratic party should not be rallying around Joe loving Biden right now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

It literally is not called nepotism.

Getting a job because your family is rich isn't nepotism?

What is nepotism then, or does nepotism not exist.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

How is this still up?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

...Biden did it explicitly in advancement of US interests???

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Well this conversation would probably stop if people weren't defending corruption!

If someone says "hey I think bribery is fine, don't hate the player hate the game" that's probably not going to pass without comment so it's weird to say stuff like that then complain that people are discussing it.

I keep asking you to point these people out

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

theflyingorc posted:

...Biden did it explicitly in advancement of US interests???

Functionally he's arguing that the US should have continued to give financial support to a country that was doing nothing about corruption.

v: 1-3 is 'Is Joe Biden'
4 is a wildcard, 5 is 'Is Still Joe Biden'

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

ImpAtom posted:

Discussing this specific thing at this specific time when it isn't even in the top 5 serious issues with Joe Biden *this month* makes it feel more like supporting the GOPs talking point, not worrying about Biden's corruption.

I said yesterday it would own if this torpedoed Biden's campaign but I'm not going to pretend Republican talking points are valid when I can point to Literally Everything Else.

What would you say the top 5 serious issues with Joe Biden this month are? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The amount of people willing to do Trump's job for him by carrying water on the Biden conspiracy theory is kind of pathetic. It's been debunked and has no basis in reality. The investigation into Biden's son was shuttered a year before the prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, was fired. Biden says pressed for Shokin's firing because of his corruption and refusal to prosecute the old regime's crimes. The fact of the matter is that, if this grand conspiracy theory is true that Biden got Ukraine to boot Shokin to protect his son, then the next prosecutor, who has actually tackled corruption within the government, would be MORE likely to prosecute Burisma and compromise Hunter's position, not less.

The Intercept wrote a good piece covering it back in May:
https://theintercept.com/2019/05/10/rumors-joe-biden-scandal-ukraine-absolute-nonsense-reformer-says/

I don't like Biden, but this has less substance to it than the emails or Uranium One, and that's saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Please tell me the President of the United States knows the difference between a hyphen and an apostrophe...