Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

VitalSigns posted:

So if I say "hey I would take it as a close personal favor if you hired my failson" that isn't nepotism to you.

What is it then, merit?

Excuse me, attacking candidates' successful children is not a winning strategy. Think of how many ordinary Americans whose children serve on the boards of Ukrainian gas companies this will alienate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

There is absolutely no evidence or even allegation that's what happened. Again: Hunter Biden was already rich and successful when they hired him.

So if I ask someone to hire my son in exchange for favors, that is nepotism then?

What if it's their idea in the first place and not mine.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

VitalSigns posted:

So if I say "hey I would take it as a close personal favor if you hired my failson" that isn't nepotism to you.

What is it then, merit?

Cronyism? Are you really posting over and over again because you can't look words up? There's no other angle other than you not knowing words?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Why is being an open Nazi not an autoban in 2019? JFC.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

So if I ask someone to hire my son in exchange for favors, that is nepotism then?

1.) No

2.) Also still didn't happen.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Angry_Ed posted:

Is it right next to Mianus? :v:

You have to drive through Hell to get there.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

Check their profile. They have less than 400 posts total over the life of their decade-old account but suddenly decided to start effortposting in this thread.

Am I imagining things I read once or doesn't FYAD posting deduct from post count?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Cronyism? Are you really posting over and over again because you can't look words up? There's no other angle other than you not knowing words?

People are saying "it's not nepotism" like that's a defense of using your office to enrich yourself or your family members, so the defense is that the particular corruption that was happening is being described with the wrong label?

So what is it then?

Merit?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Thread title :discourse:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There's a simple solution for this. Open a separate thread for Biden/Hunter corruption and ban anyone who discusses it in this thread.

It that happens, they will complain of course about how discussion of a political topic is being banned in a political thread, but thats a trap that the fascist rightwing uses. Its a microcosm of how fascists use a democracies openness and commitment to free speech to protect themselves. Everyone knows that bitching about Biden is a tactic to protect Trump under the guise of discussing USPOL. The mods will have to ban it eventually because its the only bullet Republicans have and this thread will become unreadable. Might as well do it now.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

Check their profile. They have less than 400 posts total over the life of their decade-old account but suddenly decided to start effortposting in this thread.
While I don't actually think your theory here is IMPOSSIBLE, they appear to have posted a lot about Homestuck for me to think it's worth a foreign entity's time.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CascadeBeta posted:

Because GBS 2.0?

Xombie posted:

2.) Also still didn't happen.

"If this didn't happen then why do I keep insisting that it did?"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
At this point politico should just embrace fucknutsville, it's too perfect

CascadeBeta posted:

E:

theflyingorc posted:

While I don't actually think your theory here is IMPOSSIBLE, they appear to have posted a lot about Homestuck for me to think it's worth a foreign entity's time.

this also should be an autoban in 2019

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

VitalSigns posted:

Getting a job because your family is rich isn't nepotism?

What is nepotism then, or does nepotism not exist.

I dont want to join the rest of the fight on this, but unless Joe Biden got his son that job via hiring him or asking someone to hire them this isn't nepotism.

This one isn't even a direct flaw in capitalism as even in a communist utopia, people will try to gain influence via currying favor of the families of those with power and Joe wasnt just some rich dude, he was also VP.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ham posted:

Mcmagic and others literally want there not to be a vote, and to draw out the impeachment inquiry to election day.

i actually sometimes wonder about this, but i suspect public outcry over the Ukraine Thing and immediate followup might be enough to alter the calculus

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

Oh so GRU isn't allowed to enjoy spergy webcomics now?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

People are saying "it's not nepotism" like that's a defense

You're the only one saying it's a defense. Telling you that you're using words wrong isn't a defense of what you're wrongly describing.

quote:

of using your office to enrich yourself or your family members,

Again: Hunter Biden was not an elected official while his dad was VP. His dad did not hire him. His dad, by all accounts, did not ask someone else to hire him.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1177674702405427201?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1177675028344782850

pompeo is subpoenas

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I assume the courts will settle this one.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Trump is going to have to choose soon who to protect because he's hosed if he has both rudy and pompeo trying to throw eachother under the bus

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
well now we get to see if a subpoena during an impeachment inquiry can be ignored as easily :getin:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

There's a simple solution for this. Open a separate thread for Biden/Hunter corruption and ban anyone who discusses it in this thread.

It that happens, they will complain of course about how discussion of a political topic is being banned in a political thread, but thats a trap that the fascist rightwing uses. Its a microcosm of how fascists use a democracies openness and commitment to free speech to protect themselves. Everyone knows that bitching about Biden is a tactic to protect Trump under the guise of discussing USPOL. The mods will have to ban it eventually because its the only bullet Republicans have and this thread will become unreadable. Might as well do it now.

Seconded.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Trump is going to have to choose soon who to protect because he's hosed if he has both rudy and pompeo trying to throw eachother under the bus

i hope Jared catches a stray shank from somebody

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

A few minutes late but this counts as the 4PM News Drop.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Angry_Ed posted:

well now we get to see if a subpoena during an impeachment inquiry can be ignored as easily :getin:

Yup, the fight over Pompeo here is going to demonstrate the value of opening the inquiry, one way or the other

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CrowdControl posted:

I dont want to join the rest of the fight on this, but unless Joe Biden got his son that job via hiring him or asking someone to hire them this isn't nepotism.

This one isn't even a direct flaw in capitalism as even in a communist utopia, people will try to gain influence via currying favor of the families of those with power and Joe wasnt just some rich dude, he was also VP.

It is nepotism, nepotism is favoritism to someone based on who their relatives are. But even if we want to create a special snowflake definition of nepotism, that just makes it a different flavor of corruption, which isn't a defense.

And I don't think "well I didn't ask for the bribe I just accepted the cash" is a defense either.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1177675348106006528

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rabble posted:

Seconded.

Primary chat is already "gently caress Biden" 24/7. Could just keep it there since Biden himself is not relevant otherwise? I dunno.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Trump is going to have to choose soon who to protect because he's hosed if he has both rudy and pompeo trying to throw each other under the bus

he will save himself before he even thinks of helping them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

Things in queue take a while to get processed

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Prester Jane posted:

Good thing I never said it was the KGB then. I have no idea whose funding such things, because at this point basically every state and corporate actor has some sort of apparatus setup to drive disinfo campaigns on the internet. The vast majority of its done through bots on social media, but that's hardly where it all ends.
It's entirely possible, and even likely, that many posters ITT are idiot contrarians rather than deep cover agents who spent a decade infiltrating the USPOL thread.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Spun Dog posted:

i hope Jared catches a stray shank from somebody

Given Trump's foreign policy has been almost 100% decided by who is willing to funnel money into Kushner's investments, it almost definitely has to be a matter of time before someone digs it up. It's really weird his name has barely come up so far.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1177675702470135809

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope Pompeo gets dragged in for a subpoena, only to superglue his mouth shut in a screaming opening statement, "You can't subpoena someone who can't speARHGHhghghg,...... !!"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

It is nepotism, nepotism is favoritism to someone based on who their relatives are.

Once again, it literally is not. It is favoritism to someone based on being your own relatives

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Yup, the fight over Pompeo here is going to demonstrate the value of opening the inquiry, one way or the other

How close do you think it has to get to looking hopeless before Manafort finally breaks and spills whatever the gently caress he held back

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

Primary chat is already "gently caress Biden" 24/7. Could just keep it there since Biden himself is not relevant otherwise? I dunno.

That’ll work too. Probably a better place for it anyway

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

It is nepotism, nepotism is favoritism to someone based on who their relatives are. But even if we want to create a special snowflake definition of nepotism, that just makes it a different flavor of corruption, which isn't a defense.

And I don't think "well I didn't ask for the bribe I just accepted the cash" is a defense either.
Wait, is every person who hires one of their children at their company corrupt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xombie posted:

Once again, it literally is not. It is favoritism to someone based on being your own relatives

OK will you grant that it is a non-nepotistic form for corruption then?

theflyingorc posted:

Wait, is every person who hires one of their children at their company corrupt?

Yes?