Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Edit: I don't wanna ride the flume.

Someone spot me a nepotism dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Trump is going to have to choose soon who to protect because he's hosed if he has both rudy and pompeo trying to throw eachother under the bus

There's going to be an ouroboros of Trump officials trying to throw each other under the bus first.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
the next person to continue this semantics debate on what the true meaning of nepotism is will end up on the log flume ride with the trump supporter to probationland

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Taerkar posted:

There's going to be an ouroboros of Trump officials trying to throw each other under the bus first.
It's the bus that never ends.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

So if I ask someone to hire my son in exchange for favors, that is nepotism then?

What if it's their idea in the first place and not mine.

Hey whataboutism. Sounds like you’re 20, and probably “well actually” girls in real life. Hint, it’s a bad look in real life and here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's entirely possible, and even likely, that many posters ITT are idiot contrarians rather than deep cover agents who spent a decade infiltrating the USPOL thread.

да правда брат

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
edit: no flume for me

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's the bus that never ends.

It won't be able to go anywhere because it'll be high-centered with all of the bodies under it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Primary chat is already "gently caress Biden" 24/7. Could just keep it there since Biden himself is not relevant otherwise? I dunno.

I think this is a good idea, it eliminates the "WHATABOUTISM" aka Republican talking point that will destroy this thread otherwise.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rabble posted:

Seconded.

I strongly disagree on this course of action, recent history demonstrates that it does not work and ultimately creates more problems than it resolves.

That said: Biden's failson getting handed a cushy job is more of a problem with modern capitalism/American culture than it is an indictment of Joe Biden. It's lovely and unfair and sucks but it's also the kind of thing that happens at literally every major company, major university, or anywhere in our culture where there is access to power.

Ino we leftists don't need to do anything for Joe Biden to sink himself other than to put him in front of a camera and a hand him a microphone, he's a doddering old fool who is out of touch with basic reality. He'll sink himself without any expended effort on our part.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

да правда брат
После нас - тишина.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Wait, is every person who hires one of their children at their company corrupt?

ahahahaha

yes you moron, promoting your relatives is corrupt

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Nepotism isn’t illegal in the private sector. It’s probably not good business depending on how competent the person is and how much blowback you’ll get from your other employees, but it’s not illegal unless there’s evidence of another underlying illegal act.

Edit; just saw the mod note

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

I strongly disagree on this course of action, recent history demonstrates that it does not work and ultimately creates more problems than it resolves.

That said: Biden's failson getting handed a cushy job is more of a problem with modern capitalism/American culture than it is an indictment of Joe Biden. It's lovely and unfair and sucks but it's also the kind of thing that happens at literally every major company, major university, or anywhere in our culture where there is access to power.

Ino we leftists don't need to do anything for Joe Biden to sink himself other than to put him in front of a camera and a hand him a microphone, he's a doddering old fool who is out of touch with basic reality. He'll sink himself without any expended effort on our part.

pj we're just calling out that they don't actually gaf about discussing it earnestly, not seeking out some groundbreaking biden crimes thread, which we've already got the primary thread for anyways

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1177679850116653062
https://twitter.com/BrianKarem/status/1177670149547147264

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

Other than examples where you're talking about small family companies, 1000% yes. (And even then, I've known plenty of small family companies that self-destructed because incompetent fail kids were handed positions of responsibility that they were not capable of handling.)

Maybe go read up sometime on what happened when the guy who founded Werner transport tried to hand the family business off to his children. It... It did not go so well...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Biden's crimes, should it turn out anything actionable exists or may exist, are relevant to this thread. If it's just 'Biden is a bad dude who sucks' then that's more primary thread stuff.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm kinda surprised by this being your opinion. I mean - do you think that every "X and sons" roofing company is inherently a corrupt institution?

It's a matter of degree - as long as the person being hired is held to a stricter standard, I'm fine with it.

VitalSigns posted:

ahahahaha

yes you moron, promoting your relatives is corrupt
The ol' country store - corrupt?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol sure he is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
/

shutup bangalore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nm

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I see they're going to to try to buy their way out of this and of course, Whataboutism will be the key play, talking point.

As for Kelly Ann Conway..lol. She needs to gently caress off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I see they're going to to try to buy their way out of this and of course, Whataboutism will be the key play, talking point.

As for Kelly Ann Conway..lol. She needs to gently caress off.

thankfully it doesn't seem to be working.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I wonder if after 12 hours of not tweeting Maggie's leg twitches and she gets a vague yet powerful urge to be a useless mouthpiece for trump press releases

Funny to see that they are still trying to trot out some absolute amateur hour talking points. No wonder they can't get any elected officials outside that bama representative and graham to actually try to talk them up

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 27, 2019

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Please don't put down in the newspaper that I'm mad.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

I'm kinda surprised by this being your opinion. I mean - do you think that every "X and sons" roofing company is inherently a corrupt institution?

LOL, have you ever worked for a roofing company? They are notoriously crooked, fucksake I've known roofing companies that were 100% Amish that were notoriously crooked.

quote:

It's a matter of degree - as long as the person being hired is held to a stricter standard, I'm fine with it.

You've... You've never been a base level employee dealing with the incompetent relative who suddenly got handed a bunch of responsibility, have you?

quote:

The ol' country store - corrupt?

LOL, if they are hiring relatives than frequently yes.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
You fuckers have jumped the shark

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, PPJ asked everyone to stop debating the definition of nepotism in this thread. I'mma start enforcing that so cut it out.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Let's debate the definition of nephrology instead.

I get to be House and the rest of you are the hunky Australian dude.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm not mad, I'm actually laughing!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Very excited for Trump to bring to attention to his attempts to extort a foreign country for dirt on Joe Biden.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

LOL, have you ever worked for a roofing company? They are notoriously crooked, fucksake I've known roofing companies that were 100% Amish that were notoriously crooked.
Thanks for the update?

quote:

You've... You've never been a base level employee dealing with the incompetent relative who suddenly got handed a bunch of responsibility, have you?
I definitely have, I just have also worked with some decent ones.

fool_of_sound posted:

Hey, PPJ asked everyone to stop debating the definition of nepotism in this thread. I'mma start enforcing that so cut it out.
I...don't think that's what I'm doing? idk

My point is that I think that, likely, most hiring of your own family members is varying levels of corruption, but I don't think that the very idea of parents and children being in business together is.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Someone get the spray, Mattering Day has made all the chuds and trolls come out from under the fridge.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yall talking about roofing companies when you could be talking about how gop is still using talking points that a preschooler would laugh at. The latest round is literally, 'i'm not mad im laughing'

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm just sitting here thinking of all the sexual harassment I've personally witnessed the owner's son/nephew get away with.....

Y'all if anything small family businesses are more notoriously corrupt and nepotistic than even the good old boys club that runs the big corporations. In small rural towns very flagrantly so- you don't mouth off to the wrong kid at school or your Mom gets fired from her lovely job.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not owned!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My brother hired me at his roofing company for two summer. AMA.

True story, it's corrupt in that he's paying felons and undocumented guys cash.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone in the media finally figured out the correct way to cover Kellyanne Conway:

https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/1177679086837276672

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

It's not about Trump, Biden, or Capitalism. It's about letting everyone know that you (the poster) are morally superior to other posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
For the love of god someone post some news.