Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was amicable?

I thought Frasier seems bitter as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It was amicable?

He seems bitter about her as a wife (hence the divorce - remember that she cheated), but I don't remember him ever saying that the divorce itself was challenging.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It was amicable?

I've never been divorced but I feel like 'amicable on the outside, bitter on the inside' is about as good as they get.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So what if you end up on the news for threatening to jump out of a window because your wife is leaving you for another man, who happens to be doing a bio-dome experiment?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

He seems bitter about her as a wife (hence the divorce - remember that she cheated), but I don't remember him ever saying that the divorce itself was challenging.

Well I guess that makes sense, admitted infidelity sure makes it open and shut.

e: I guess when I think about a tough divorce I'm not necessarily thinking the legal battle, but you're probably right.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also she kept the kid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Another Bill posted:

I've never been divorced but I feel like 'amicable on the outside, bitter on the inside' is about as good as they get.

Frasier's depiction of divorce is the platonic ideal, basically, and I say that as a divorced man myself. There will be fights, there will be spats, but there is also always an underlying sense of caring for one another.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even before that, Niles' seperation and long, drawn-out divorce was a lot more realistic than is usually expected from sitcoms, especially for a wealthy couple.

Frasier and Lillith having an amicable divorce and shared custody was also nearly unique and surprisingly positive in retrospect; can imagine kids seeing that and feeling it's not so unusual to have parents whose relationship didn't work out but still know they need to work together to support you.

counterpoint: said kids would be implicitly identifying with fukken freddie :/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

ahahahahahahayou are probably richer and have a better life than me probably better emotionally adjusted evenhahahahahaha

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Freddie going after goth gfs is just the Oedipus complex at work.

I was more thinking the episode where Frasier and Lillith work togther to get Freddie into a prep school and accidentally succeed by convincing the principal that they'll make his life a living hell otherwise. Honestly that seems like the best possible result; he gets to go to a nice school that his parents can't ever show up at.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Freddie going after goth gfs is just the Oedipus complex at work.
Freddie is a pretty dry character but there is probably a hilariously awkward scene somewhere about Lilith discussing Freddie's interest in big tiddie jewish gothlings and making hay over the male obsession with breasts and rear end.

"As I recall Fredrick, your father--"

"Mother please, father's preferences are well documented." :geno:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Frasier never really went after the stacked chicks. All his longer relationships were with rail thin intellectual women. Only time I can think of him pursuing someone like that was when he gave up Claire for Lana and failed.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Think women in 90s tv and then think about how many you ever saw north of 120 pounds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Roseanne. All the women from the hit Fox tv series Babes. The woman with the funny make up on the Drew Carey show. :colbert:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Solice Kirsk posted:

Roseanne. All the women from the hit Fox tv series Babes. The woman with the funny make up on the Drew Carey show. :colbert:

Counterpoint: Ally McBeal

and now I feel gross for talking about women's bodies on the internet

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Action was a criminally underrated show.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Another Bill posted:

Counterpoint: Ally McBeal

and now I feel gross for talking about women's bodies on the internet

Don’t worry, you’re gross for lots of other reasons as well

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

codo27 posted:

Think women in 90s tv and then think about how many you ever saw north of 120 pounds.
It's baffling to think that "women with curves" only really became a thing after Jennifer Lopez became a hit.

And then it took a white chick a decade later for it to really catch on.

Aside from like Marilyn Monroe actual women and not waifs was this weird aberration that was more suited to a pinup.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

oldpainless posted:

Don’t worry, you’re gross for lots of other reasons as well

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FilthyImp posted:

It's baffling to think that "women with curves" only really became a thing after Jennifer Lopez became a hit.

And then it took a white chick a decade later for it to really catch on.

Aside from like Marilyn Monroe actual women and not waifs was this weird aberration that was more suited to a pinup.

Sorry but Woman with Curves was on a big uptick and a totally normal thing until after WWII and as agencies realized it’s easier to sell women poo poo if they were constantly trying to lose weight than if they were curvy. This was combined with the massive push to sell cigarettes to ladies, which is why smoking was billed as a good dieting tool.

Women’s fashions and body styles have been cycling from fat to thin and back for hundreds of years, it wasn’t just skinny ladies from the Renaissance to Jay-Lo

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry but Woman with Curves was on a big uptick and a totally normal thing until after WWII and as agencies realized it’s easier to sell women poo poo if they were constantly trying to lose weight than if they were curvy. This was combined with the massive push to sell cigarettes to ladies, which is why smoking was billed as a good dieting tool.

Women’s fashions and body styles have been cycling from fat to thin and back for hundreds of years, it wasn’t just skinny ladies from the Renaissance to Jay-Lo

From the 1950s through the early 1970s was pretty much the Golden Age of Ladies With Curves. You had Marilyn Monroe, Mamie Van Doren, Jayne Mansfield, Raquel Welch, and several dozen other curvy actresses I'm forgetting (not to mention nearly every country that had any kind of film industry usually had at least a couple of starlets that were billed as their country's version of one of the aforementioned ladies). I don't think it was until around the time that Twiggy started to get popular that the Hollywood trend towards buxom curvaceous ladies began to decline.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of it was probably when heroin became a thing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's more likely when cocaine became the "hip" drug of choice, especially during the heyday of disco, when people wanted to both be skinny and boogie down all night long.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
a lot of it was the fashion industry promoting a 13 year old as a sex symbol by making her an underwear model and doing topless photoshoots with her tbh

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
dude, we were talking Frasier's bedpost notches as they reflected 90s era women and you bust out with "Well but you see Rubenesque"? The gently caress.

Anyway, point was that Lopez was a big turning point for the depiction of women in media, changing the ideal of the time. Sure seems quaint when you look at today's preferences.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Heroin Chic/Calvin Klein basement teens thing probably had a say in it, yeah. Maybe the growth of high fashion?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 27, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

dude, we were talking Frasier's bedpost notches as they reflected 90s era women and you bust out with "Well but you see Rubenesque"? The gently caress.

Anyway, point was that Lopez was a big turning point for the depiction of women in media, changing the ideal of the time. Sure seems quaint when you look at today's preferences.

The Heroin Chic/Calvin Klein basement teens thing probably had a say in it, yeah. Maybe the growth of high fashion?

Twiggy

E and I'm aware she wasn't from the 90s, but she would have been one of the models influencing the TV environment in the 90s--being in their 20s and early 30s, any given actress would have either directly known about her growing up or was at the very least operating at a time when the shape shape twiggy defined was the shape allowed on tv. Curvy women were mostly allowed on TV as a joke for a long time

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 27, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC Frasier going after perky blondes might be implied to be him going for as big a contrast from Lillith as he can. Doesn't help that they kept ending up having sex nearly every time she visited. (And the last time was when she hosed Niles)

dangerstepp
Apr 8, 2019
As a child, I felt really out of touch with Frasier whenever he grew the beard late into Cheers. I felt like it wasn't premiere Fras.

Also:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

dangerstepp posted:

As a child, I felt really out of touch with Frasier whenever he grew the beard late into Cheers. I felt like it wasn't premiere Fras.

Also:

I would have played the poo poo out of that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dangerstepp posted:

Also:

guessing it's just a reskin of the "My Dinner With Andre" video game

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

guessing it's just a reskin of the "My Dinner With Andre" video game

The SegaCD version goes like that, since they styled it after FMV games.

The SNES pre-alpha is more like the Home Improvement game. The later revision added 2-player character mode (Like Sonic 2) where Niles has more Fiscal Resources and Fras has more Social Standing so you can unlock alternate paths by alternating. It's still a rather ho-hum collectathon, but Eddie chases you when the timer runs out so that's cool. Alternating between daily life scenes and Theatre of the Mind psychological flights was cool but it felt like they were designing two different games and couldn't get the tone to mesh.

Thank god the Saturn prototype, built using Batman and Robin style video capture, died a swift death.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

FilthyImp posted:

The SegaCD version goes like that, since they styled it after FMV games.

The SNES pre-alpha is more like the Home Improvement game. The later revision added 2-player character mode (Like Sonic 2) where Niles has more Fiscal Resources and Fras has more Social Standing so you can unlock alternate paths by alternating. It's still a rather ho-hum collectathon, but Eddie chases you when the timer runs out so that's cool. Alternating between daily life scenes and Theatre of the Mind psychological flights was cool but it felt like they were designing two different games and couldn't get the tone to mesh.

Thank god the Saturn prototype, built using Batman and Robin style video capture, died a swift death.

Say what you will about the SNES version but playing the 8th level, which featured a 2 on 2 fight between the Crane Boys and those 2 plumbers, was one of my favorite memories growing up. Me and my cousin wasted so many weekends trying to get through that without getting hit cuz we heard doing so would give you a (horribly pixelated) secret ending screen with Roz in a bikini.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Please everyone petition Netflix to greenlight the animated Crane Boys Mysteries series

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shut the gently caress up. There really was a game? I googled it earlier but didn't see anything that looked real

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I had the Amiga version, to be honest I don't think it was ever released on the SNES.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

codo27 posted:

Shut the gently caress up. There really was a game? I googled it earlier but didn't see anything that looked real

:ughh:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A: Sherry
B: Sherry
All direction buttons: Sherry

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Sagacity posted:

I had the Amiga version, to be honest I don't think it was ever released on the SNES.

Dude, the box art is just a few posts up. I didn't get a box with mine, though. I found it in a Warehouse bargain bin, though. Along with a tape of No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

A: Sherry
B: Sherry
All direction buttons: Sherry

Select: NILES!
Start: Le Cigare Volant