Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. Same here waiting on November sg titanium. Thinking of changing it to space grey Milanese Loop. Did goons say taking it on and off scratches your poo poo? I have a s2 stainless steel I use everyday that has no noticeable scratches to me but I use a black sports band all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does titanium have a distinct look? Or is the main benefit the durability without the weight of steel?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The titanium has a fairly distinct look. It’s kind of hard to describe. Like a nicer version of an aluminum watch? It reflects more light. It’s pretty cool looking, but nothing that will turn heads. It doesn’t fingerprint like the SS versions which is convenient.

Think of it as being functionality/exercise-oriented like the aluminum watch is, but better looking. I’m not sure if I personally like it visually as much as the SS, but it’s a good blend of form and function.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I had ordered the ceramic one while it was still shipping within the return period of my sport. Now it’s 9-10 weeks.

I wonder if Apple seriously underestimated demand for the editions this time.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah my 5 battery still sucks. My wife put her 2-year old 3 on the same time in the morning as my 5 and she’s at 85% at 4pm vs my 55%. A few % would be fine, but 30% difference is crazy.

Definitely going to take this in.

Gay Retard posted:

I believe downloading any apps with an Apple Watch component triggers a Bluetooth transfer to your Watch, so yes, it’s going to use up a lot of battery (just like installing apps on your phone).

My Series 5 was around 40% at the end of the day today.

I got my Watch 5 yesterday mid-day and had to put it on the charger at 9PM. Figured it was due to being new. Put it on today fully charged and now 2 hours later its already at 66%, and the only thing i have done is commuted to work and sat at my desk. Im honestly a little worried about battery life on this thing. Apple claims it has 18 hours of battery if you get 90 notifications, 90 screen activations, 45 minutes of using apps and 60 minutes of exercise so with my sedentary lifestyle i should have much more battery (On my Watch 2 i had 3 days of battery)

If you google this topic you get to read that it can use more battery when its new due to synching data and whatever, is there any truth to this? Like why is it STILL doing this, if that was the case?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Since it's gonna be a while until my watch gets here might as well shop for some straps!

Nomad straps got me curious...which ones you guys got? Was looking at the modern leather strap. Also, anyone have a coach strap? Looking at the navy blue cadet.

Recommend some nice leather straps please!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I have a pair of leather bands from Monowear, one black one brown. Both are excellent quality and have aged well. I also had one from Clockwork Synergy but the lugs rattled when the watch got an alert and the leather felt a bit cheap.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Ineptitude posted:

I got my Watch 5 yesterday mid-day and had to put it on the charger at 9PM. Figured it was due to being new. Put it on today fully charged and now 2 hours later its already at 66%, and the only thing i have done is commuted to work and sat at my desk. Im honestly a little worried about battery life on this thing. Apple claims it has 18 hours of battery if you get 90 notifications, 90 screen activations, 45 minutes of using apps and 60 minutes of exercise so with my sedentary lifestyle i should have much more battery (On my Watch 2 i had 3 days of battery)

If you google this topic you get to read that it can use more battery when its new due to synching data and whatever, is there any truth to this? Like why is it STILL doing this, if that was the case?

I've never had 3 day battery life ever with an Apple Watch so I'm kinda jealous but then again I charge them every night no matter what. I once forgot to charge my 3 and it lasted until 11 AM the next day when the low power alert came up during my run, and that was with another workout the previous day.

With the 5 I had it last through the day I got it (I think it went down to 30-40% from about 75% out of the box) and the day after it lasted the whole day from 8:30 AM until 11 PM and still had over 50% charge left. No workouts and not that much use besides checking notifications and time, though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i just got one of these; two questions

a) what's the battery meant to be like on the 40mm series 5? i've been wearing this for 3 hours this morning and the battery's gone down like 20% with 3 hours of barely touching it (just some song skipping and notification looking)

b) what's the difference between 'exercise' and 'move'? 'move' seems like a calorie estimate based on steps and maybe heartrate; exercise is no of minutes at an elevated heartrate; am i right?#

e: i assume with the battery drain thing that it's doing a bunch of syncing etc as most apple stuff does in the first few days? i only got it yesterday and wore it overnight to test out sleep++ so it's only been charged to 100% and not left to sit on charge so it can sync etc

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 26, 2019

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
a) had it on for about 4 hours now and it's gone down to 85% so that's entirely within the realm of possibility because I only checked notifications. You should make it through the day easy. 6 more hours of usage like that and you're still gonna have 40% left which is totally fine.

b) exercise (green) is exercise minutes - elevated heart rate or using an activity app (built-in, Strava, Nike Run Club...) and move (red) is calories, right. Exercise goal is always 30 minutes required, move goal can be changed manually or based on suggestions by the watch.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zwille posted:

a) had it on for about 4 hours now and it's gone down to 85% so that's entirely within the realm of possibility because I only checked notifications. You should make it through the day easy. 6 more hours of usage like that and you're still gonna have 40% left which is totally fine.

b) exercise (green) is exercise minutes - elevated heart rate or using an activity app (built-in, Strava, Nike Run Club...) and move (red) is calories, right. Exercise goal is always 30 minutes required, move goal can be changed manually or based on suggestions by the watch.

sound. i’ll keep an eye on it but provided it makes it through a full day without janitoring it i’m not too fussed.

ok makes sense. i think the distinction confused me a bit since i got a notification congratulating me on filling the exercise ring before i even got to work today but the move ring was like 1/4 full. kind of flattering that it thinks i’m working out when i’m just trying to catch a train tho

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

kind of flattering that it thinks i’m working out when i’m just trying to catch a train tho

Trains move pretty fast, to be fair to you

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Housh posted:

Since it's gonna be a while until my watch gets here might as well shop for some straps!

Nomad straps got me curious...which ones you guys got? Was looking at the modern leather strap. Also, anyone have a coach strap? Looking at the navy blue cadet.

Recommend some nice leather straps please!

Etsy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I have a case open through Apple Support. They basically told me to repair the watch but start fresh instead of restoring from a backup. I did that 48 hours ago and I’m still seeing the same battery life. I usually put the watch on at 5/6 AM and I’m in power reserve by nine or 10 PM, even if I don’t do a workout.

I’m typically be around 30% at the end of the day on my series 3 LTE (2 years old) even after doing an outdoor run with LTE, GPS, and Bluetooth music. I’m hoping this is just a software fix in watchOS 6.1. I really don’t want to have to bring my watch in the hardware swap, but if you Google the problem, it seems like tons of people are seeing the same battery life as I am. I don’t need to watch the last 2 1/2 full days, but not reaching power reserve by 9 PM would be nice. I’m not entertaining the idea of turning off the always on display since that was advertised as a core feature of the watch.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 26, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Numerous people on Reddit are claiming that the 6.1 beta helped their battery a ton:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/d9jce6/huge_battery_life_difference_on_beta_61/

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dropped my screen brightness to the lowest and that saves me 10% or so. And I had my S4 on that brightness anyways so it’s not even noticeable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pants Donkey posted:

I dropped my screen brightness to the lowest and that saves me 10% or so. And I had my S4 on that brightness anyways so it’s not even noticeable.

I wish you could dim the display even more than the lowest. It’s still pretty bright.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Some people are turning off raise to wake, which is a decent stopgap till 6.1 but can be very obnoxious if you get a decent amount of notifications each day.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

When you think new watchOS for older watches?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Support just ran diagnostics on my 5 and “everything passed.” Seeing that reddit thread a few posts back, there first be something about 6.0 that’s eating battery.

Of course their solution was to turn off the AOD.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 27, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
5.3.2 just dropped for my series 2, starting to think we are not getting 6 like initially said

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's still listed on the website.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maybe they’re actually making sure it won’t run like complete poo poo on older watches and that’s why it’s taking longer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Support just ran diagnostics on my 5 and “everything passed.” Seeing that reddit thread a few posts back, there first be something about 6.0 that’s eating battery.

4 hours without AOD and down 13%, or just a bit over 3% per hour. Before I was losing almost double that. There’s something that fundamentally sucks about the display and Apple is overstating the batter with AOD, or there’s some weird big related to it. Seeing that reddit thread, I’m leaning toward the latter. Which is good. Now just to wait the 2 months before 6.1 comes out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The beta cycle for iOS 13 whiplashed between “didn’t affect watch battery life” and “your watch is dead by lunch lmao” so I definitely believe there’s room for improvement in the software department.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Man I am loving the series 5. The always on is a life saver for covert glances during meetings or basically any social interaction. It also just FEELS more like a watch in a way that's hard to explain.

I know there are a lot of apple watch fashion haters in this thread but the gold SS/ gold milanese is dope. The color is basically polished bronze with a touch of gold. It's versatile, you can dress it down super easily by pairing it with a white sports band, or go middle of the road with something like a natural leather band. With the milanese it doesn't look out of place with a suit, though there are better options for formal watches of course.

Speaking of leather bands I highly recommend the shell cordovan bands at Ashland Leather: https://ashlandleather.com/collections/watch-straps/products/naturalleatherapplewatchband

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I have a case open through Apple Support. They basically told me to repair the watch but start fresh instead of restoring from a backup. I did that 48 hours ago and I’m still seeing the same battery life. I usually put the watch on at 5/6 AM and I’m in power reserve by nine or 10 PM, even if I don’t do a workout.

I’m typically be around 30% at the end of the day on my series 3 LTE (2 years old) even after doing an outdoor run with LTE, GPS, and Bluetooth music. I’m hoping this is just a software fix in watchOS 6.1. I really don’t want to have to bring my watch in the hardware swap, but if you Google the problem, it seems like tons of people are seeing the same battery life as I am. I don’t need to watch the last 2 1/2 full days, but not reaching power reserve by 9 PM would be nice.

Not mega keen on doing beta apple software, is the 6.1 launch really 2 months out?

I’m not entertaining the idea of turning off the always on display since that was advertised as a core feature of the watch.

Exactly! it is the main reason i bought this one. I certainly expect their main promoted feature to be on when they mention the battery life on it.

I am unable to parse this sentence. What are you trying to say?

Also which Reddit thread?

AOD?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 27, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Always On Display

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Not mega keen on doing beta apple software, is the 6.1 launch really 2 months out?

I have no clue, just being pessimistic.

Ineptitude posted:

I am unable to parse this sentence. What are you trying to say?

There has to be a bug in 6.0 that’s eating through battery.
Was using swipe while feeding an infant to type that post and clearly didn’t proof-read.

quote:

Also which Reddit thread?

It was posted recently in response to one of my posts.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why the hell are the two official leather bands exclusive to one size?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The beta cycle for iOS 13 whiplashed between “didn’t affect watch battery life” and “your watch is dead by lunch lmao” so I definitely believe there’s room for improvement in the software department.
I didn't have any battery trouble at all.

Pants Donkey posted:

Why the hell are the two official leather bands exclusive to one size?
Because they're overpriced poo poo and you shouldn't get them.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went from ~66% end of day to ~50%. Totally fine with me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Series 5 on 6.1 lasts 20-25% more than my girlfriend's Series 5 at the same point at the end of the day. Similar activity/use cases, too. The only bug I've noticed is I can't use "Sign in with Apple" on a new app I've installed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is the calendar complication busted for anyone else? I’ve got a million things on my calendar today and my watch is saying there’s no events. Yesterday it seemed to pick one random appointment in the middle of the day to show all day, despite having stuff before and after that one.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Phew, today i had the same usage on the watch, aka office life, and now at the end of the day the battery is at 63%. Yesterday it turned itself off when i was otw home from work due to 0% battery.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Phew, today i had the same usage on the watch, aka office life, and now at the end of the day the battery is at 63%. Yesterday it turned itself off when i was otw home from work due to 0% battery.

What differences, out of curiosity? Did you also turn off AOD?

My battery seems on par with my 3 with it off. 6.1 can’t get here soon enough.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

No differences, exact same usage pattern.

Yesterday:
Wore watch at 7 AM
By 9 AM it had 88% battery
11 AM it had 70%
6 PM it shut off.

Today:
At 11 AM i still had 100% battery
At 4 PM i had 84%
At 10 PM i had 63% when i took it off to charge.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Huh Stainless Steel watch came with a steel charger. Any difference between fanciness?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Ineptitude posted:

No differences, exact same usage pattern.

Yesterday:
Wore watch at 7 AM
By 9 AM it had 88% battery
11 AM it had 70%
6 PM it shut off.

Today:
At 11 AM i still had 100% battery
At 4 PM i had 84%
At 10 PM i had 63% when i took it off to charge.

Roughly my experience. Never discount the shiny factor. Also calibration and sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

Huh Stainless Steel watch came with a steel charger. Any difference between fanciness?

The stainless steel watch has absolutely no differences internally, so no. There are exactly two reasons to get the SS models:

1) The sapphire screen, and the colored coatings on the colored SS watches are more resilient than their aluminum counterparts
2) It looks dope, and you can wear it with more outfits and occasions, whereas the aluminum is more of a casual/workout kinda situation.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 28, 2019