Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

It's too old to be floating, so I assume they're nailed into the subflooring.

OK, well have a look for the nails, you should see them running in parallel lines, perpendicular to the direction of the boards. That's your line for screws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK, well have a look for the nails, you should see them running in parallel lines, perpendicular to the direction of the boards. That's your line for screws.

I'll get down with a flashlight, but it's tongue and groove flooring so I assume it's toenailed into the tongue. I'll check though, maybe I can infer location based on context clues.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's even possible that it's nailed into your subfloor and your subfloor is screwed into the joists, or that actually it's not nailed down at all. Sorry, I was envisioning more of a classic "length of wood" floorboard when you said it was too old to be floating (which really just means not nailed down).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hubis posted:

I dunno, I think not having a bathroom fan is still preferrable to blowing hot moist air straight into your insulation AND a giant loving hole in your roof. Seriously, WTF.

True, but I mean in terms of fixing the issue, all you need is some duct work and the damper/vent for the roof (and then pray the excess moisture didn't cause any long term problems.)

I've got to fish some romex up into the attic (all the electrical for the house comes from the basement,) cut a hole in my bathroom ceiling and roof (or wall/siding if I decide to go horizontal,) wire it up, etc... And it's NOT a good attic, not meant for crawling around in.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's even possible that it's nailed into your subfloor and your subfloor is screwed into the joists, or that actually it's not nailed down at all. Sorry, I was envisioning more of a classic "length of wood" floorboard when you said it was too old to be floating (which really just means not nailed down).

No worries, I'll figure it out.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The stupid fucks who used to own our house didn't insulate the cold water pipes to the bathroom. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the reason for gradual water accumulation in our ceiling. Now I've gotta fix the ceiling and rip out the bathroom floor to insulate the pipes. loving hell.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

The stupid fucks who used to own our house didn't insulate the cold water pipes to the bathroom. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the reason for gradual water accumulation in our ceiling. Now I've gotta fix the ceiling and rip out the bathroom floor to insulate the pipes. loving hell.

I have never seen insulation on cold water pipes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nevvy Z posted:

I have to run a dehumidifier on specially bad days (~20 days this year) to keep the water pipes in the basement ceiling and around the water softener etc from sweating like crazy. But, that alone is sufficient, and it also helps with the comfort of the house on those days (typically when its >80F and 80% humidity).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PremiumSupport posted:

Same.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don’t want to spend $15k on a new driveway, but this spot is particularly annoying. It’s hard to photograph how deep it is, but all the pieces rock around when walked on, and it keeps getting worse because it fills with 4” of water every time it rain.

If I’m able to lift the pieces out, how futile is trying to level underneath with sand (or something?) as a temporary fix?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

eddiewalker posted:

I don’t want to spend $15k on a new driveway, but this spot is particularly annoying. It’s hard to photograph how deep it is, but all the pieces rock around when walked on, and it keeps getting worse because it fills with 4” of water every time it rain.

If I’m able to lift the pieces out, how futile is trying to level underneath with sand (or something?) as a temporary fix?

I can't tell for sure the scale of the area, but if it isn't too large I'd pour a new patch.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

glynnenstein posted:

I can't tell for sure the scale of the area, but if it isn't too large I'd pour a new patch.

The circle is maybe 3ft across. The whole thing is cracked up, but this is the only place that’s actually sunken in.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

eddiewalker posted:

The circle is maybe 3ft across. The whole thing is cracked up, but this is the only place that’s actually sunken in.

May have to add some sand underneath before you patch. I suspect that water is getting under the concrete due to the cracks and has washed away the sand/gravel underneath, which is what's causing it to sink.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PremiumSupport posted:

Where do you live that it doesn't ever freeze?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally got an antenna installed in the attic and coax ran down into the basement to connect to all the TVs. I just installed the electrical/network rack and plan to spend some time this weekend re-running the cat6 drops that feed the first floor and basement from the temporary spot everything was run to this last year.

I ran pull strings everywhere as well as J-hook paths so it should be pretty straightforward. Next steps after this are to get the fiber network runs to the second floor in place to help feed a second AP and IP cameras. Ask me about overkill in home network design!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

SpartanIvy posted:

It's pretty normal around the DC area, where it certainly freezes, to not have any insulated plumbing. I'm not around much residential stuff, but newer construction might use it more consistently, though I have still seen brand new stuff going up without anything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Wasn't the person who brought this up talking about interior pipe insulation?

And anywhere that I've lived where it freezes insulation on pipes in unconditioned spaces is basically useless on it's own. It's what you put on after the heat tape.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Finally got an antenna installed in the attic and coax ran down into the basement to connect to all the TVs. I just installed the electrical/network rack and plan to spend some time this weekend re-running the cat6 drops that feed the first floor and basement from the temporary spot everything was run to this last year.

I ran pull strings everywhere as well as J-hook paths so it should be pretty straightforward. Next steps after this are to get the fiber network runs to the second floor in place to help feed a second AP and IP cameras. Ask me about overkill in home network design!

I see you also have bits of doorframe lying around that you prop things up with.

You say overkill, but it probably would've saved me a bunch of effort if I'd split my physical network in two by floors and run a couple of fibre lines between them. As it is I have 50 rather long cat7a cables all converging on one spot.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ll clean it all up nice and tidy once all the Ethernet is run.

I’m going to run 3x fiber and 4x Ethernet up into a lockable cabinet in the laundry room. From there I can patch things in however I want. For now 4 Ethernet will be fine, I won’t need more than that for an AP, upstairs TV, and maybe one other drop. When I want to do cameras down the road I’ll drop a POE switch upstairs, patch everything into that, then connect the fiber down to the basement.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

SpartanIvy posted:

Northern Minnesota, where it freezes all the time.

E: Like others have said, pipes in non-climate controlled spaces need more than just insulation to prevent freezing, which is why you rarely if ever see pipes in unconditioned spaces in my area. Pipes in interior walls and climate controlled spaces generally don't get any insulation, with the notable exception of exposed hot water pipes.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 27, 2019

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm guessing the Nevvy Z lives in a hot, humid climate and the pipes are in an unconditioned attic.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

So I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I need some advice about siding. My house has a small addition on the back, the corner of which butts up against my electric meter. The previous owners who installed the addition apparently didn't account for siding when they did this, so the siding and flange was blocking the the cover of the meter by an inch or two. I had some electrical problems (which ended up being a problem at the service connection, but that's not the point) which required opening up the meter to test the voltage on the incoming line, so my electrician had to cut the flange with a utility knife to be able to get the cover off the meter. It's a pretty small area and I don't anticipate having to open up the meter frequently, but putting up more flange sounds like a bad idea, as does leaving it uncovered. Would something like Great Stuff work in this spot? It's in a weird little corner at the back of the house, so I don't care how it looks, but it would be easier to cut and reapply if necessary.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pics help.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I attempted to loosen the pipe under my bathroom sink in order to clear out years of accumulation, and as soon as I applied pressure to unscrew the joint, rather than unscrew, the entire pipe split in half

:negative:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, that's good info to have!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I attempted to loosen the pipe under my bathroom sink in order to clear out years of accumulation, and as soon as I applied pressure to unscrew the joint, rather than unscrew, the entire pipe split in half

Rust Never Sleeps

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

That reminds me that the bathroom in my parents house when I was kid, before a bathroom remodel, had a small port on the bottom of the P trap. You'd turn it like half a turn counterclockwise, and it would pop off. The hole was maybe nickle sized, but useful if you either think a ring fell into the sink or there's a small clog, or about other reason you have to relive the P trap and wanted an easier way to drain it.

I've yet to see another p trap in the wild with that feature.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nevets posted:

I'm guessing the Nevvy Z lives in a hot, humid climate and the pipes are in an unconditioned attic.

No but I didn't realize how big this leak is I thought it was slower. I've pulled out most of what it's ruined gonna figure out stopping up the leak next. God I hope I don't experience something like that pipe split. I've gotta figure out how soon I can get a plumber here in case this goes poorly.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

That reminds me that the bathroom in my parents house when I was kid, before a bathroom remodel, had a small port on the bottom of the P trap. You'd turn it like half a turn counterclockwise, and it would pop off. The hole was maybe nickle sized, but useful if you either think a ring fell into the sink or there's a small clog, or about other reason you have to relive the P trap and wanted an easier way to drain it.

I've yet to see another p trap in the wild with that feature.

it's a p-trap with cleanout, and they still exist but cost a little bit more than a regular p-trap so that's probably why they're not used in new construction

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Plumbing is one of those things that now if I'm going to mess with it I start it in the morning when home Depot is open.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Nevvy Z posted:

PremiumSupport posted:

More common than you'd think. You'll most often see cold water insulated pipes in older basements with copper pipes that began their life as unfinished space. The insulation prevents the condensation that forms on the pipes during the humid months in the South from dripping off and destroying the (typically suspended) ceiling.

What will really mess with you is when you look up and see an insulated line and a non-insulated line and tap off the non-insulated line expecting cold water. :)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We got an old neighbor who's a plumber to come over Saturday afternoon. Took him less than 45 minutes to replace the broken pipe and reassemble everything. He charged me $40,but I gave him $50.

We spent like 9 hours putting up photos and such yesterday. That took longer than I anticipated.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've got a drafty access door to the space under the porch. It's not full door sized. It is pretty snug to the cinder block walls surrounding. It does have a small door.. frame (just some strips of wood)? that it closes to but it's not a proper door frame. What's the best way of sealing this? Maybe some foam on the door "frame" for the door to close onto?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

I've got a drafty access door to the space under the porch. It's not full door sized. It is pretty snug to the cinder block walls surrounding. It does have a small door.. frame (just some strips of wood)? that it closes to but it's not a proper door frame. What's the best way of sealing this? Maybe some foam on the door "frame" for the door to close onto?

Weather stripping. They sell kits of it that you just cut to size and screw/glue into place.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I went to HD and only saw weather stripping that had metal backs and weren't designed to be cut. Maybe I need to take another look I guess.

Also, I assume it's fine to use expanding foam insulation to fill in the small areas in the block where a small chunk fell out? Just fill/cut flush.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My local one has rolls of it in the isle with the locks & misc. door hardware. Just a length of rubber shaped like a b that you nail the flat part into the trim and the round part compresses against the door to form the seal.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nevets posted:

My local one has rolls of it in the isle with the locks & misc. door hardware. Just a length of rubber shaped like a b that you nail the flat part into the trim and the round part compresses against the door to form the seal.

I only saw these that were door sweeps and had multiple layers of the rubber and wouldn't fit between the door and the blocks, but I'll look again. I saw some for windows that were like that but they were super wide and wouldn't fit on the door frame.. though I guess I could also have cut them in half.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Also, I assume it's fine to use expanding foam insulation to fill in the small areas in the block where a small chunk fell out? Just fill/cut flush.

Yep. Assuming it's not a structural repair but just a sealing one.

totalnewbie posted:

I only saw these that were door sweeps and had multiple layers of the rubber and wouldn't fit between the door and the blocks, but I'll look again. I saw some for windows that were like that but they were super wide and wouldn't fit on the door frame.. though I guess I could also have cut them in half.

This is what Nevets is talking about, I assume:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-42-in-Brown-Cinch-Door-Seal-Top-and-Sides-5-Piece-43305/203584940

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

totalnewbie posted:

I've bought some cheapo d-shaped self-adhesive stripping from Lowes for a door frame that didn't have any attachment points and it worked good enough. Look for something like this:

Silicone Door Seal Weatherstrip

It'll be coiled up in a box hanging on a shelf. Just find something you want on-line and see if it tells you where to go in your store (Lowes does it and I think Home Depot does it too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yep. Assuming it's not a structural repair but just a sealing one.

Oh yeah, for sure 100% sealing, not structural.

effika posted:

I've bought some cheapo d-shaped self-adhesive stripping from Lowes for a door frame that didn't have any attachment points and it worked good enough. Look for something like this:

Silicone Door Seal Weatherstrip

It'll be coiled up in a box hanging on a shelf. Just find something you want on-line and see if it tells you where to go in your store (Lowes does it and I think Home Depot does it too).

This looks like what I need. i guess the metal stuff you can just cut with a saw, huh. Makes sense.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-1-4-in-x-17-ft-Low-Density-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-02071/100665371

This is the stuff I found but it was two of those strips connected together with a little groove in the middle; there was adhesive on either side of the groove but not in the middle. It said it was for windows.. which I also need to seal but that's a different day/post. Thanks, all!