Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That read like a 10 year old doing one piece fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Or he’s not related and is just a huge fan.
This is the best outcome. I can see him drunkenly relating tall tales about Rocks to his crew. He's probably a killer storyteller.

Speaking of fanboys, I'm a week late on this, but it would be great if Coby reveals that he's immune to the Mero Mero no Mi because there's only one person he loves: Monkey D. Luffy. It's way more likely he's going to collaborate with her in secret, though.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

So recently I went back and re-read the chapter where Mihawk visits Shanks, and is surprised at the island he's hanging out on.

Looks pretty familiar! Not exactly, though, the mountain isn't split...

I'm hoping God Valley turns out to be Baltigo or the lost island that points to Raftel.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cat Machine posted:

So Rocks likely had the darkness fruit, right? Would explain why Teach, as a Rocks fanboy, knew it was 'available' and was singlemindedly pursuing it. Also explains how Rocks could possibly keep Whitebeard, Kaido and Linlin on a leash.

Counterpoint: I think that all this new info supports my reading that Roger had the darkness fruit. Previously I've said that it's somewhat telling that Teach set out on his pirating career with the express goal of obtaining the darkness fruit, which he believes to be the most powerful devil fruit, the same year that Roger died. Now we have Rocks, of whom Teach is implicitly a big admirer, having been defeated by Roger - at first I thought that Teach believed the darkness fruit was the most powerful because it was what the Pirate King had, but now I feel like he believes it's the most powerful because it was what took down his idol.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Regarding Teechs goals, I'd wants to be the pirate king so that he can do as he pleases at the detriment of others as a contrast to Luffys ideal of simply being the freest man alive.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
So was Rocks taken down before they did bounties, was it lower than Roger and Whitebeard's, or is there another reason why the world government didn't issue a bounty on him?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

tap my mountain posted:

So was Rocks taken down before they did bounties, was it lower than Roger and Whitebeard's, or is there another reason why the world government didn't issue a bounty on him?

Presumably the bounties are public records, and the World Government did everything it could to completely bury Rocks existing in the first place. So no bounty because he’s flat out dead and they really don’t want people to know he existed so why write his bounty down instead of destroying the records entirely.

Also, I think it’s neat how Dragon’s rebellious spirit isn’t out of nowhere now, he likely picked it up from Garp’s issues with the World Government and decided to take it even further to political disruption and upheaval.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One Piece is a manga where none of the main characters show up for a few chapters and it still ends up being goddamn amazing. I love it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Electric Phantasm posted:

So would Coby be the Garp parallel?

Smoker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Blackbeard does seem to be at the very least the successor stylistically to Rocks similar to Luffy being like Shanks.

Can really only imagine what having Big Mom, Kaido and Whitebeard on the same ship must have been like. Keep plenty of food and booze on hand I guess.

And yeah, Garp's relationship with Roger is strongly implied to be much like Smoker and Luffy.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

If Roger also had the darkness fruit, why wouldn't the wg be doing everything they could to kill bb?

That seems like too boring a bow to tie around Roger's story.

Given the bounties now, I'm interested to see what dragon's is. He's been described as the most dangerous man

I'm also curious to see how much of a power level check this is, even though I know bounties != strength. Luffy barely beat a 1.2 billion person, there's no way he can beat two 4s. So who else is going to suddenly show up in wano to help? Either that or the crew gets wrecked

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's really funny to me that even Sengoku is kinda treating bounties like power levels ("if Big Mom and Kaidou team up, their bounty is higher than Roger's!") when earlier in the chapter he mentions that it's just a number Brannew comes up with.

These aren't scientific measurements of fighting power (you need Fukuro for that), they're just what some bureaucrat values their threat to public safety at.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ubiquitus posted:

If Roger also had the darkness fruit, why wouldn't the wg be doing everything they could to kill bb?

This recent chapter has Sakazuki deciding that what's possibly the greatest threat since the Rocks Pirates is something that they're stretched too thin to deal with at the moment - it's possible that dealing with Blackbeard is what's got them so understaffed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So the inference at the end is that the marines/WG had no idea that the ponegylphs were being created and written on Wano right?

JB translated Rocks as wanting to be king of the world while MS went with pirate king. I assume pirate king is a specific thing that is always used when its mentioned making one of these 2 choices stranged

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
what if rocks is somehow Imu lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hadn't read One Piece in a while and saw people wigging out over this chapter so I caught up and it's literally just a lore dump of "oh yeah this dude totally existed and this happened but no one ever talked about it until now" and nothing else

what the hell is going on in this series

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's win

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fabricated posted:

I hadn't read One Piece in a while and saw people wigging out over this chapter so I caught up and it's literally just a lore dump of "oh yeah this dude totally existed and this happened but no one ever talked about it until now" and nothing else

a big stupid war is about to break out, it owns

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Fabricated posted:

There's a liiittle more that happened than that. :P If it was just some loredump about some nobody it wouldn't have gotten so insanely popular/well-received everywhere.
The lore behind One Piece is a big reason people read it, such as people wanting to learn what happened during the Void Century and us slowly getting hints about it, this chapter adds a lot to the lore.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fabricated posted:

if you've read none of the wano arc then of course its not going to make any sense

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

what if rocks is somehow Imu lol

haha yeah that's absolutely it. assuming "King of the World" is the more accurate translation

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Jose posted:

if you've read none of the wano arc then of course its not going to make any sense

pretty cool that they get to read wano now though

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Imagine reading the last two chapters and just going “Pfft it’s just some lore or whatever, what’s the big deal?"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Here's some random guy we've never heard of before that is super strong and way more powerful than everyone else and is super important is dumb as hell in any story

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terror Sweat posted:

Here's some random guy we've never heard of before that is super strong and way more powerful than everyone else and is super important is dumb as hell in any story

We have heard of him before. But he's dead now anyway.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Begemot posted:

It's really funny to me that even Sengoku is kinda treating bounties like power levels ("if Big Mom and Kaidou team up, their bounty is higher than Roger's!") when earlier in the chapter he mentions that it's just a number Brannew comes up with.

These aren't scientific measurements of fighting power (you need Fukuro for that), they're just what some bureaucrat values their threat to public safety at.

That makes sense though?

I assumed that the Kaido/Big Mom alliance means that they're a greater threat that Roger ever was and now public enemy number one.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

MonsterEnvy posted:

We have heard of him before. But he's dead now anyway.

...... or is he??

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Reading the GOD VALLEY plot dump all I kept thinking was it read like an outline to a future movie

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

its dumber for the history of pirates in one piece to begin with roger.....there were always going to be pirates that preceded him and its cool to learn about the crew that kaidou, big mom, whitebeard and shiki were on

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah we've definitely heard of the rocks pirates before right, itd be weird as hell if the captain wasnt some insane badass. we just didnt know what flavor of badass he was.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Kegslayer posted:

That makes sense though?

I assumed that the Kaido/Big Mom alliance means that they're a greater threat that Roger ever was and now public enemy number one.

The delivery with it is very *crushes scouter while saying the number* but yeah, I definitely read it as identifying this alliance as probably the biggest credible threat they've ever faced at a time when they're spread so thin

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i love the throughline of {alabasta coup -> ongoing, foiled by straw hats} to {dressrosa coup -> ten years in, foiled by straw hats} to {wano coup -> 20 years in, (hopefully) foiled by straw hats}. wano is extremely well developed as a setting and its crazy how long its been set up......i love one piece

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

That makes sense though?

Yeah, bounties are not power levels but for the WG they are very specifically about "how much of a pain in the rear end are these guys for us to deal with". So two of the highest bounties combining is still a huge deal, even if it was more along the lines of "this drug running business is teaming up with these black market weapons sellers" instead of "these are two big people who can punch us through literal mountains"

Basically of anyone the WG has the most stock to place in bounties, even when they don't represent power level

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

highest bounties for pirates. Dragon is still the highest bounty based of his "most wanted man in the world" title

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

i love the throughline of {alabasta coup -> ongoing, foiled by straw hats} to {dressrosa coup -> ten years in, foiled by straw hats} to {wano coup -> 20 years in, (hopefully) foiled by straw hats}. wano is extremely well developed as a setting and its crazy how long its been set up......i love one piece

{marine coup -> a few decades in, foiled by straw hats}

{world government coup -> a couple generations in, foiled by straw hats}

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Countblanc posted:

yeah we've definitely heard of the rocks pirates before right, itd be weird as hell if the captain wasnt some insane badass. we just didnt know what flavor of badass he was.

We have albeit vaguely by way of Garp. We knew he did "Something" big and important enough to have been recommend for the post of Admiral several times and he's been able to get away with a litany of things that would have likely resulted in an execution order if not for that "Something" being so big and important as to buy him a LOT of good will and leeway. Something of that magnitude definitely fits and the whole "teamed up with Roger" part is definitely something that the Marines and WG would want to keep under lock and key hence why the info is treated as something you're only told if it's REALLY necessary for you to know and under no other circumstances. A Kaido x Big Mom team-up with how much more powerful they are now vs before along with the general chaos going on is such a circumstance.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bleck posted:

This recent chapter has Sakazuki deciding that what's possibly the greatest threat since the Rocks Pirates is something that they're stretched too thin to deal with at the moment - it's possible that dealing with Blackbeard is what's got them so understaffed.

Whitebeard was a situation that demanded almost everything and everyone the marines had that was worth a drat on deck at Marineford, a prepared fortress of their choosing. By comparison the Wano scenario is waaaay less in their favor, and the natural barriers are pretty daunting if you don't happen to be a lucky dumbass. The cost of manpower alone would probably destroy the marines as an organization even if they won.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Another good colorspread without Jinbe in sight, so the chapter wasn't a total flop.

My conspiracy theory as to the reason he's not in any of them or his status as not a full fledged member who keeps going out to buy cigarettes and promising he'll be back is that OP is too big of a franchise now and he's not that popular anyway so the marketing boys and editors and whatnot shoo him away.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Jinbe is dead dude, big mom killed him remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
jinbe is absolutely dead :hai: