Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

Those harissa carrots look magical.

Yeah, roast carrots are one of my favourite things, will have to try that.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Shitloads of spring rolls, for our kids birthday party (also cakes and other stuff not pictured). I think next year we will make something else for the guests.

Homemade springrolls own, I got some leftover in the freezer I should use. Photos when I do.

What filling do you use, standard pork, spices and Chinese veg or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made them all vegetarian this year to make it simpler of rus. So it was a mix of rice noodles, mushrooms (cat's ear), cabbage and carrots that was fried beforehand, spices were soy and fish sauce mainly.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Made them all vegetarian this year to make it simpler of rus. So it was a mix of rice noodles, mushrooms (cat's ear), cabbage and carrots that was fried beforehand, spices were soy and fish sauce mainly.

Cool, I do most of that minus the rice noodles, and instead have bean shoots and pork. Also some allspice and sesame oil in the pork mince.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iajanus posted:

The weird thing is that I wasn't trying to do anything low carb, I just had a half cauliflower and no idea what to do with it (I normally hate the stuff)

Although that recipe looks loving awesome and I will be trying it

My goto for random cauliflower is to shake it with a good shot of curry powder and some oil, then oven roast it until it starts to get crispy around the edges.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

My goto for random cauliflower is to shake it with a good shot of curry powder and some oil, then oven roast it until it starts to get crispy around the edges.

I bake it with bechamel and bacon myself.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just make gobi matar or something idk cauliflower's really versatile

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I just make gobi matar or something idk cauliflower's really versatile

Oh yeah cauliflower curries are good too.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Liquid Communism posted:

A good, pungent garam masala with a drizzle of lemon juice or lemon infused oil brings this to new heights. I could just eat the drat stuff off the tray like a monster.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh yeah cauliflower curries are good too.

Yeah. Cauliflower (and all brassica, really) is Up There in vegetables.

Also, I literally cannot help but make chicken wings forever:

Clockwise from top left- Chinese pepper and salt; Lemon and herb; Smokey chipotle pepper barbeque; and plain.

And also apparently I also can't help but make arancini (forgive the kind of terrible photo, none of them came out great unfortunately and I didn't have everything in to do a proper plating

Sundried tomato, pepper, and chilli arancini.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Or toss with oil, herbs, and salt, and roast.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
aloo gobi is my cauliflower go to now but i love cauliflower in just about any application

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Or cook it until it's just tender and then blend it into a soup with some leeks or idk ramps

obviously the best preparation is gobi 65 though. or gobi manchurian. but they're both a lot of work.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Here's your pro cauliflower move: https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-pot-cauliflower/

Cook the cauliflower more though, you want it browning/blackening a bit. Also idk what the hell bell pepper is doing in this recipe, don't do that. Otherwise it's a solid one.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

A local restaurant has chorizo-spiced cauliflower as an appetizer and it is fantastic because it is goddamn tasty and not all that filling. Pairs well with their fried calamari with pickled fresnos. I think I'll have to go back there soon. Yum.

As for something I cooked, I decided to make khachapuri for dinner last night, but I didn't have easy access to my tried-and-true recipe. I wound up using one from a website called "simply home cooked" and the dough turned out to be a bit slack. Even after adding an additional 0.5 cups of flour, it was still stretchy, so in moving the dough onto my pizza stone, they got the barnacle jim treatment and came out loooooooong - or wide, depending on your orientation in viewing them lol. For reference, they should kind of resemble a canoe from the top down, or a bisected American football. I picked them up and put them down on a pizza stone that had been sitting at 500 degrees Fahrenheit (260 c) so they clung right to it, and fixing them wasn't really an option.

Mine came out...kind of abstract. Tasty, but misshapen.

I've got the same amount of dough out of the fridge for tonight's dinner. My wife wants another khachapuri, while I'm going to enjoy a margharita, I think. Hopefully they end up looking better than this.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
They're great, I love you didn't attempt to find a bigger plate.

I ran a couple of specials today at work so had to try them, naturally.

Pan fried mackeral (caught this morning by my brother), on toasted ciabatta with beetroot and chilli salsa. Cod loin with lemon and mint pea puree and chorizo.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

drat, that's some good looking fish. Mackerel doesn't get the love it deserves, imo. How'd the mint play with the peas and cod? It's a combination I'd never considered and now I really want a bite of that.

Re: plating, I decided to stick with my standard 12-inch-or-so diameter dinner plate to give the looooooong finished product the perspective it deserved lol.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
It's quite a common pairing with white fish/scallops etc. Personally I think it works really well, especially with the saltiness from the chorizo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korean BBQ today. Pork and chicken thighs.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I wish Korean BBQ was a thing here.

Testing another special, serrano wrapped monkfish, butternut and habanero veloute with lemon pepper grilled courgettes.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Raikiri posted:

They're great, I love you didn't attempt to find a bigger plate.

I ran a couple of specials today at work so had to try them, naturally.

Pan fried mackeral (caught this morning by my brother), on toasted ciabatta with beetroot and chilli salsa. Cod loin with lemon and mint pea puree and chorizo.

Two beautiful fish dishes right here. That mackerel, especially, I'd love to try; and the cod dish is just a pile of classic flavours.

Raikiri posted:

I wish Korean BBQ was a thing here.

Testing another special, serrano wrapped monkfish, butternut and habanero veloute with lemon pepper grilled courgettes.

Aaaand a third. The veloute especially sounds great here, has it got a decent kick to it with the habanero?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Every time I visit this thread I remember I really need to clean and charge my Nikon and figure out how to take better photos than my busted S8's camera + Mayfair filter on my private instagram that is functionally a 0 follower/0 followed food journal in the one room of the apartment that has a table directly underneath a light instead of fighting shadows.

Anyway, anniversary meal yesterday:

Cinnamon rolls with maple frosting:

Deviled eggs:
(no photo)

Foccaccia with sundried tomatoes and olives:

Pistachio butter with truffle honey:

Meat and cheese plate (manchego, parm, sundried tomato, iberico ham, sopressata, prosciutto):

Baked Clams:

Fried eggplant with salt and honey;

Beef wellington:

Devil's Food layer cake with chocolate-coffee-ovaltine buttercream + mixed berry compote:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Olpainless posted:

Aaaand a third. The veloute especially sounds great here, has it got a decent kick to it with the habanero?

Thanks, I toned it down a bit as I was testing it (cooked for my Dad who isn't big on heat) but it's definitely noticeable. I put about 1/5 of a small/medium chili to around 500ml of veloute.

Nephzinho posted:

Anyway, anniversary meal yesterday:

Foccaccia with sundried tomatoes and olives:

Beef wellington:

Everything looks great but I want these two please.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Fish and chips with relish aioli and tomato puree.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sterster posted:

Fish and chips with relish aioli and tomato puree.

Lol

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sourdough pizza with hatch chiles and bacon

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Seriously though the fish sticks is what I made for the kids. This is what me and the wife had.
Pork chashu ramen.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Why can’t the kids have ramen?! I’ll take the fish sticks though as a pre-ramen snack...

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

GenericGirlName posted:

Why can’t the kids have ramen?! I’ll take the fish sticks though as a pre-ramen snack...

It's not a can't issue. It's a want issue. They are still trying to figure out what they like. At the very least I got them to try the broth and I got some interesting face. Yet they will gladly eat pre packaged nissin ramen. As an example the youngest doesn't like jelly on his peanut butter sandwiches. The oldest eats baby carrots with ketchup. Anything I make is too spicy while they are knuckle deep in a bag of spicy Cheetos or takis. They both love broccoli though. Kids are weird.

sterster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 24, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I came on both our kids two days ago eating uncooked ramen noodles. Just crunching down on them. I personally can't stand most ramen noodles but everyone else in the family likes them.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Whalley posted:

They're so loving easy.

3 tablespoons white miso paste
3 cloves garlic, either minced or grated if you can find your microplane which I couldn't
2.5 tablespoons lime juice (which was what I got outta 1.5 limes, but next time I'm gunna drop down to 2 tablespoons)
A bit over 1 tablespoon honey

Whisk that together in a bowl, leave sit.

Blister a pound of green beans in a bit of neutral oil for 10 minutes, then once done, turn off the heat and pour the miso sauce straight into the pan, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then cut up about a third of a cup of cilantro or however much you wind up grabbing when you go to tear "some" cilantro out of the bunch, and toss that through.

They're far too delicious for the amount of effort it takes.

I made a double batch of this for a dinner party tonight and I cannot thank you enough. I used Thai basil instead of cilantro since I had that on hand. So delicious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Old timey scandinavian food, cabbage casserole.

Most recipes say to blanch the cabbage but I like to fry it instead.

Once it looks done I add some water though and let it go for a while yet. I pour of the liquid for use with the meat mixture. ground beef, bread crumbs, the liquid and two eggs. Spices are just salt, black pepper and white pepper.

Everything is mixed in the oven dish, also molasses are usually added

In the oven for about an hour at 175 C

Served with potatoes and lingon jam (raw).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That certainly is a thing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Old timey scandinavian food, cabbage casserole.

A strange part of me actually hoped you'd stop here

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I came on both our kids two days ago eating uncooked ramen noodles. Just crunching down on them.

That’s a weird loving fetish and probably illegal.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
There it is! I thought about making a similar joke but then I got distracted. Thanks for doing the Lord's work :-)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Nice

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made this recipe completely wrong, didn't follow 50% of the directions or include 1/3 of the ingredients, did the whole thing in one pot, and even used half a ramen packet because I forgot to buy stock at the store. And it was still amazing. You should definitely try it, if you keep the meat down it is very cheap and easy to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKGsoQM5YJk&t=1s

I would post a pic but every time I do people yell at me about posting cell camera pics.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

Super common snack for kids in Asia. I don't get it either.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can we move on from that joke please

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yay pizza night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010