Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Google Butt posted:

The degree to which they hosed up by putting those transcripts on that server and releasing one is unbelievable

And their defense of it being "we didn't want them to keep leaking like stuff was early on" is completely undercut by the fact that they didn't put all of their call transcripts on it
it's clearly only bad poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Only half of that, I totally forgot about the cancer and that he dumped his wife right after that. I saw some nyt article that was like 'wow rudy kept his new flame so secret how did he do it!' from back then and lol rudy shacking up with a new woman was the most open secret in nyc at the time. In a city where a ton of people keep a mistress, holy gently caress rudy managed to do it in the worst possible way. I only spent 3 years on the east coast but was around a number of people in rudy's social sphere and ahahaha holy poo poo no one will ever match the vitriol and contempt that new yorkers have for him. As a west coaster I'm barely qualified to talk on this compared to new yorkers because Rudy is such a goldmine of poor, self-centered decisions.

Trump and Rudy really are some perfect batboy and robin of everything wrong with NYC

oh and the Vagina Monologues were at least tangentially involved

that NYT article was definitely a PR stunt by Rudy gone wrong

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If only the good guy had the gun!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i like to pretend that Giuliani just showed up one day then just doesn't leave but Trump is too much of a coward to tell him to go.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

... gently caress my life, this is in my town. :gonk:

If you feel like making some money you should go grift them. They are a group of people who are gathering to celebrate how stupid and easily manipulated they are.

Like print some random character strings onto business cards and sell them as “Q Cypher Keys” or whatever for $10 each

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

If only the good guy had the gun!

If he'd shot her instead he'd already be on death row

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Tibalt posted:

Oh my God, I just figured it out.

The bulk of the whistleblower's complaint was about misclassification and abusing the secrecy system. The White House knew about the scandal, so to get out ahead of it they released the transcript.

That's why they thought releasing the transcript would make the whistleblower's decision go away.

Yup. Some geniuses at the WH thought "okay this will be about improper classification, so we'll just unilaterally declassify!" without thinking about, you know, what if everything he said in the call was Just Crimes and you hid that call for a reason.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This.
Last minute resignation like this right after Giuliani starts naming him means he either got pressured or he is loving terrified

I'd be terrified too, if the President of the United States made me into part of the Tom Clancy novel where he was threatening to let Ukraine get invaded if he didn't get his imaginary Clinton dirt from a company not actually based in the Ukraine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Strange Poon posted:

i like to pretend that Giuliani just showed up one day then just doesn't leave but Trump is too much of a coward to tell him to go.

The weird thing about the trump giuliani axis of crime is that trump apparently loves what giuliani is doing and thinks it is perfect and has for months now. poo poo he's probably explicitly directing it, but until we get rudy's phone subpoenaed we won't know for sure. There's almost no way he isn't telling rudy to go on the offensive and to burn anyone who doesn't defend him blindly

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Google Butt posted:

The degree to which they hosed up by putting those transcripts on that server and releasing one is unbelievable

Right? It corroborated the whistleblower complaint and roped in Giuliani and Barr.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm now picturing a new version of that one Onion headline of Eric and Jr shredding emails and updating it with them doing the same thing with the transcripts of those calls.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
From WAY earlier, but yep:

"Your failure or refusal to comply with the subpoena shall constitute evidence of obstruction of the House’s impeachment inquiry."

"...shall constitute evidence of obstruction...."

Bonfire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Google Butt posted:

like they can be deleted ever right?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

twice burned ice posted:

The whistleblower is CIA, so nope

I heard that he was CIA too but I don’t think it was ever confirmed.

It makes a lot of sense that volker would be the whistleblower. He’d have intimate knowledge of the incident, direct access to all the people involved, and it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for him to be asking for info on what they wanted to do in Ukraine. The whistleblower report was written by someone with a lot of government report writing experience and by someone who would know a lot about Ukraine specifically but only vague information about any other secret transcripts

Finally, his resignation opens him up to testify as a private citizen instead of a whistleblower.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lote posted:

So let’s delete the transcript.

And the log saying that we deleted the transcript.

And that.

And that.

And that.

Now do it for all the redundant rolling backups in the SCIF.

And the automatic audit trails for all the backups.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The weird thing about the trump giuliani axis of crime is that trump apparently loves what giuliani is doing and thinks it is perfect and has for months now. poo poo he's probably explicitly directing it, but until we get rudy's phone subpoenaed we won't know for sure. There's almost no way he isn't telling rudy to go on the offensive and to burn anyone who doesn't defend him blindly

i can believe it. trump is basicaly his base and wants to have some vapid moron defend his ego, drat the consequences.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

From what I've gathered, if someone were stupid enough to go in and delete these transcripts:

1. Multiple off-site backups, almost assuredly compartmentalized and access granted to even fewer people than whomever has access to this secure system.
2. Meticulously scrutinized logs of all file system level actions performed.
3. Change log, so someone could basically undo the deletion, restoring it
4. #2 of course is tied to whomever did it, who just committed career suicide.

Basically a top-secret federal Git repo, for fellow IT goons. "Uh huh, some Trump toadie deleted everything. Revert to previous revision and have security detain the fuckwit who issued the delete command."

Sorry if I missed this, but who exactly has jurisdiction over the system these braintrusts decided to hide their crimes on? If the House demands full unredacted copies, if Trump tells them to not hand them over, will they be be able to say "lol gently caress off" and hand over the transcripts to the House Intelligence Committee?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1177742396190265344

quote:

President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the U.S. election because the United States did the same in other countries, an assertion that prompted alarmed White House officials to limit access to the remarks to an unusually small number of people, according to three former officials with knowledge of the matter.

quote:

White House officials were particularly distressed by Trump’s election remarks because it appeared the president was forgiving Russia for an attack that had been designed to help elect him, the three former officials said. Trump also seemed to invite Russia to interfere in other countries’ elections, they said.

quote:

The comments, which have not been previously reported, were part of a now-infamous meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak, in which Trump revealed highly classified information that exposed a source of intelligence on the Islamic State. He also said during the meeting that firing FBI Director James B. Comey the day before had relieved “great pressure” on him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hahaha holy gently caress that ship is sinking my friends

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...340f_story.html

quote:

President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the U.S. election because the United States did the same in other countries, an assertion that prompted alarmed White House officials to limit access to the remarks to an unusually small number of people, according to three former officials with knowledge of the matter.

White House officials were particularly distressed by Trump’s election remarks because it appeared the president was forgiving Russia for an attack that had been designed to help elect him, the three former officials said. Trump also seemed to invite Russia to interfere in other countries’ elections, they said.

seems everything is leaking now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

You think trump tries to extort someone with the appropriate clearance to delete the transcripts in return for a pardon

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sean10mm posted:

Now do it for all the redundant rolling backups in the SCIF.

And the automatic audit trails for all the backups.

That doesn't mean that congress will ever get to see them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Just fill in every name we don't know with "Mick Mulvaney"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

basically:

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1177744189246840833

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The people at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/ are.... busy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Stop stop I can only get so erect!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm imagining a White House where there's never been much loyalty or comradeship; similar to the Mirror Universe Enterprise in Star Trek. Now that this administration seems like it's in real danger, they're just letting it all rip. I can't say that I blame them, because I'd bet there's a lot of bad stuff we know little or nothing about, as yet.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

they really are two peas in a pod huh?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CHEF!!! posted:

From what I've gathered, if someone were stupid enough to go in and delete these transcripts:

1. Multiple off-site backups, almost assuredly compartmentalized and access granted to even fewer people than whomever has access to this secure system.
2. Meticulously scrutinized logs of all file system level actions performed.
3. Change log, so someone could basically undo the deletion, restoring it
4. #2 of course is tied to whomever did it, who just committed career suicide.

Basically a top-secret federal Git repo, for fellow IT goons. "Uh huh, some Trump toadie deleted everything. Revert to previous revision and have security detain the fuckwit who issued the delete command."

Sorry if I missed this, but who exactly has jurisdiction over the system these braintrusts decided to hide their crimes on? If the House demands full unredacted copies, if Trump tells them to not hand them over, will they be be able to say "lol gently caress off" and hand over the transcripts to the House Intelligence Committee?

I mean the details are all classified but that's the general idea, yeah. This an air gapped network that the most classified poo poo in the known universe is stored on. Losing data even for benign reasons is not a loving option, never mind tampering.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Any of my worldly possessions to get my hands on that system/server/whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TulliusCicero posted:

Barr fleeing to Italy

:laffo: What?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm imagining a White House where there's never been much loyalty or comradeship; similar to the Mirror Universe Enterprise in Star Trek. Now that this administration seems like it's in real danger, they're just letting it all rip. I can't say that I blame them, because I'd bet there's a lot of bad stuff we know little or nothing about, as yet.

This is the environment trump specifically cultivated. This is what he wanted, a bunch of backstabbers fighting for his loyalty and admiration.

loving amazing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its like a much dumber nixon tapes

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

yeah, these guys are all ghouls who will know the overlook boiler is about blow and they want out.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So why wasn't that in the Mueller report?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

So if she gets away with it there's going to be a riot in Dallas right?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zotix posted:

Because Trump obstructed really good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

skylined! posted:

This is the environment trump specifically cultivated. This is what he wanted, a bunch of backstabbers fighting for his loyalty and admiration.

loving amazing.

its not even the hitler wheel Hub type loyalty system where they all LOVED him but loving hated each others guts. basicaly everyone hates everyone but they were "loyal" to trump for various facist/selfish reasons. now its hosed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zotix posted:

probably because "it didn't matter" or some poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How is this coming full loving circle from season 1? The writers are really outdoing themselves here. Started off a little shakey and outlandish with the sharpie hurricane stuff, but definitely making up for the downer ending to the last season. This Rudy guy deserves an Emmy! :munch:

House of Crimes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CHEF!!! posted:

Basically a top-secret federal Git repo, for fellow IT goons.

:laffo: Oh my god they’re so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

he's currently in italy on an unannounced trip for some reason and just can't be reached darndest thing

This is almost certainly Bolton, right?