Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AnEdgelord posted:

Having played during that period I can already tell you that RB midrange was the best deck for several months after dominaria's release and it wasnt close.

Yeah, Chainwhirler and friends was the best deck until Hazoret rotated out. The deck was filthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I found a MTGO PTQ that happened right after Kaladesh rotated, when GRN came out
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20225&d=331991&f=ST
This was the meta 2 days after rotation. There weren't any large tournaments until almost a month later, with GP Lille (https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20390&f=ST) but the meta at this point is basically heavily Golgari, with some white weenie, boros aggro, and a couple Jeskai control decks. We have 2 izzet decks in the top 16, with a grand total of 4 crackling drakes. One guy got there with esper control, like 6 months early.

around GP Lille, people have discovered mono blue, mono red with frenzy, and Arclight Phoenix. Boros aggro is gone, there's more jeskai control, but still a bunch of golgari.

December 2018 is the World Magic Cup, and people have had a couple months to figure out the meta (https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20758&d=337087&f=ST) we still have Golgari, Jeskai, Selesnya tokens, Phoenixes/drakes, except now boros angels is back, and we have that mono-white boros with heroic reinforcements. Not many entire decks have really fallen off the radar. By the MTGO Standard MOCS (https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20826&d=337797&f=ST) the meta is mostly white, but golgari, jeskai and drakes are still hanging in there. A couple other tournaments show that mono red and mono blue are still popular too.

So basically, wait about a week after a set releases, and then whatever the pros come up with is probably going to be a pretty safe bet at least until the next set release. Probably for the rest of its time in standard, unless it gets totally hosed, like Temur Reclamation when Teferi was released. Or counterspells when teferi came out. Ok whatever deck you pick now, will probably be good for most of its time in standard, unless they make something on the power level of Teferi, Time Raveler that hates your deck out of existence.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

just make Dance of the Manse it's nuts

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

fadam posted:

this

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

fadam posted:

This season is going to be horrible.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Emry was a mistake.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hellsau posted:

Emry was a mistake.

the name was already a mistake, every time I see it there's a couple of seconds where I read it as a cutesy name for Emrakul and it takes me that much longer to figure out what's being talked about

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
When was the last time anything like a stax deck was a thing in standard?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Update: Just made Dance of the Manse, very first game is a mirror match, my opponent gives me a "nice" and then ragequits. A+ would play again? Anybody got a good idea of how to sideboard? tips on the deck?

Edit: 2nd match, also a mirror match. Opponent wins game 1 due to drawing 2 Dances and making me discard the 1 I had. I win game 2 at 2 life due to him pinging me with Oath of Kayas non-stop. I eventually get a dance and make a bunch of 4/4s, he concedes, and then gives up on game 3. I assume that one day I'll be that tired of the deck, but not yet.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 28, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JerryLee posted:

the name was already a mistake, every time I see it there's a couple of seconds where I read it as a cutesy name for Emrakul and it takes me that much longer to figure out what's being talked about

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

A Moose posted:

Update: Just made Dance of the Manse, very first game is a mirror match, my opponent gives me a "nice" and then ragequits. A+ would play again? Anybody got a good idea of how to sideboard? tips on the deck?

Sideboarding Im still figuring out myself but if you are playing Bryan Gottlieb's version you should replace the disenchants in the side with desparks. Im watching his tournament coverage now and he is ranting about how hes a moron for not making that swap before he submitted the list.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

A Moose posted:

Sideboard 4 Unmoored Ego. For your first Unmoored Ego, name Unmoored Ego.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hellsau posted:

Emry was a mistake.

What deck is running Emry?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I have to imagine emry in whirza is very dumb because of mox opal. You need paradox engine or something similar to go infinite immediately but there's a lot of dumb things and she's just a one mana 1/2 that mills you for four to boot even without that

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
emry is not broken in whirza

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I ended up opening 3 Brazen Borrower, so I crafted what was remaining for Simic Flash and now I feel like an rear end in a top hat for playing it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Urza with 4 Mox Opal 4 Mox Amber. It's really stupid.

e: went 4-1 in my first league with Urza. I lost to the mirror, one of two Astrolabe mirrors I played against, the other being 5 color Niv Mizzet/Bring to Light control. I'm playing Modern to avoid Astrolabe mirrors but lol I guess Astrolabe was just a mistake for constructed.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 28, 2019

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kind of wild that The Abyss comes back, giving itself another color and effect, and the extended art version is about the same price as The Abyss.

At least, according to Dawnglare.

Edit: I'm talking about Doom Foretold

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 28, 2019

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Doom Foretold is this set's Krasis/Reef for me where the delta between how good I thought the card was going to be and how good it ended up being is gigantic. What an obnoxious card/deck to play against lol.

It's too bad Flaxen Intruder has to sac to get the effect, but it would probably be too strong if it was just a 1-mana Trygon Predator. I'd love to play with Goldilocks tho.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Teferi, Time Raveler is in standard for another year. lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

fadam posted:

a significant portion of the people who play this game are insane

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Eldraine sealed was a lot of fun. I ended up playing BR knights. Opened two blacklance paragons and my opponents were so visibly frustrated trying to play around it that it made my evening.

On the receiving end, the great henge is completely nuts. I was doing pretty well, but got steamrolled by a deck with that, the 7/6 troll card, lovestruck beast, the black legendary uncommon knight.

Monocolor seems like it's viable in draft (though not in sealed).

The X UUU faerie-making bounce spell is an incredible feelbad card.

2HG on Sunday, can't wait.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Emry's price on MTGO is spiking - it was selling for 12 tix this morning, and is 15 tix now. This is after drafts are open. Seems...dangerous.

It’s a one mana Bob in Paradox Urza that’s also a Splinter Twin if you play Jeskai Ascendancy

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I played Doom Dance in that play anything event and love it. It's so powerful, sometimes I don't even care about taking 8 from my own shocks against aggro decks.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hellsau posted:

Teferi, Time Raveler is in standard for another year. lol

And then we get three new Teferis in 2021.

Also, I predict that Teferi, Time Raveler will be the buy-a-box promo for 2021.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m a bit concerned from the Prerelease that ELD might have a lot of ways to create board stalls and not many ways to break through them; it’s quite easy to get lots of big creatures but there’s not much flying or trample at common or uncommon. A lot of games in the shop I was at just seemed to stall to a halt because there weren’t many non-bomb ways to tip the scales in one player’s favour. Hopefully I am wrong as I am very bad at this game.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since the place I'm doing modern at is trying to do standard showdown and is heavily incentivizing it (i.e. you get good payouts even for losing) I'm thinking about throwing together a jank standard deck for a couple of bucks to try out. Does UR draw twice seem at all playable? A bunch of ironcraeg pyromancers could be doing a free bolt every turn plus card selection, which might not be great but could be playable. Plus I have the poor man's landbase (just the shocks, and a few temples) and an embercleave from draft. Does this sound incredibly stupid, or just the normal kind of bad that you can waddle through showdown with?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It really depends on your local store and how competitive the field is. Nobody here is gonna be able to answer that for you.

But to take a wild stab in the dark, if the payouts for a middling record are making you consider playing even with an untuned/middling deck, there's a good chance other people will be in the same situation, so you'll probably get at least a few good games in each time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's early but I like the new environment so far. I saw a bunch of fun decks in the Arena Play Any Deck event, although that was best of one with probably a bias to new cards. I'm liking sealed a bunch, the set mechanics are strong. Also, it's more a matter of recent design than Eldraine itself, I like coloured artifacts being a regular thing, I think it gets them played more and elevates what would be otherwise specialized sideboard cards to deal with them.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

vegetables posted:

I’m a bit concerned from the Prerelease that ELD might have a lot of ways to create board stalls and not many ways to break through them; it’s quite easy to get lots of big creatures but there’s not much flying or trample at common or uncommon. A lot of games in the shop I was at just seemed to stall to a halt because there weren’t many non-bomb ways to tip the scales in one player’s favour. Hopefully I am wrong as I am very bad at this game.

Lol, it's sealed. It's always like that.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Top 4 decks of 35 at my prerelease where all super fast Red decks splashing a minor second color including mine. Managed to go 4-1 and ended most matches by turn 5-6, which is great as this format looks slow, we went to time every round. Food is a hell of a stall mechanic and leads to some heavy turtling. Also Gingerbrute is an absolute MVP.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i do think emry is broken in the paradoxical urza deck

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TheMaestroso posted:

Lol, it's sealed. It's always like that.
Yeah, in sealed you're running Return to Nature, doesn't mean it'll be maindeck once we get to draft.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Making snap judgments about draft formats based on a single game of Sealed is a long cherished magic player tradition.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mossyfisk posted:

Making snap judgments about draft formats based on a single game of Sealed is a long cherished magic player tradition.

And “look at my amazing sealed pool, sealed is so fun!”

Imagine playing a sealed gp.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm actually really excited for draft based on sealed. The was tons of incidental engines going on - playing with a deck drafted to exploit knights, or food, or mill is going to be super fun

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Sealed Bo3 is tolerable, sealed Bo1 is an exercise in masochism

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MikeCrotch posted:

Sealed Bo3 is tolerable, sealed Bo1 is an exercise in masochism

Unrelated: Which cards from ELD, as of prerelease, are extremely overvalued? Are any undervalued?

I also think it looks like something about Eldrazi, but they can't call it TOE.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1177400675325448192?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gonna love when maindecking Ouphe instead of Ooze is the new secret tech in Jund.