Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ehh, just get some pack bulls. How's he going to tell the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Listen, buddy. You clearly aren't taking his safety into consideration here, or else you're just thinking of demented ways to remove his legs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

litany of gulps posted:

Listen, buddy. You clearly aren't taking his safety into consideration here, or else you're just thinking of demented ways to remove his legs.

I took a trip to a Western Hive village to buy him a left arm, and along the way he lost his right leg to gorillos. :(

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Addamere posted:

I took a trip to a Western Hive village to buy him a left arm, and along the way he lost his right leg to gorillos. :(

Poor beep... Losing all his limbs

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

Beep is a beautiful canvas and on him you can apply all sorts of strength and speed enhancing works of art.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Addamere posted:

Off to an incredibly strong start. I usually get his toughness up to quickly and it takes forever for him to lose limbs. Now you get to experience Cyberbeep right away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Really, it's an improvement over the usual process.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hive drones have limited limb HP. To a novice player this is a concerning limitation. To an expert, this is a clear advantage over other races.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I mean, the fogmen've always got your back if you need some limbs taken off so limb hp isn't a big factor there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Depending on your game settings, it can be. I played a game once where I tried to cyborgify all my recruits and had serious problems getting them to leave the peeler machine alive, because I had dialled up the death chance to triple of normal, maybe? High limb HP actually made the situation worse because it meant the machine had more time to do damage to their torso as well. Lost a few good men to bleeding that way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The fogmen are greatly superior to the Peeler because they give huge amounts of Toughness xp.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do people fear the fogmen so? My main group had little issue getting to and from Mongrel, it was only naked and new Beep who had troubles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's kind of viscerally horrifying to have to watch one of your guys get eaten by bug zombies, I guess.

But no, individually or even in small groups fogmen aren't very dangerous. The problem mostly comes from two things: attrition (because they will swarm you, it's what they do) and because they will pick up anyone who is knocked out for even a second and carry them off before you can really do anything about it - and then your only choice is to go after them and get your people back before they lose too many limbs, which might be difficult if you are already struggling to the point that they could knock one of your guys out at all.

It's like the slaver problem, except unlike slaves, Fogmen captives have a distinctly limited shelf life.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

It's kind of viscerally horrifying to have to watch one of your guys get eaten by bug zombies, I guess.

But no, individually or even in small groups fogmen aren't very dangerous. The problem mostly comes from two things: attrition (because they will swarm you, it's what they do) and because they will pick up anyone who is knocked out for even a second and carry them off before you can really do anything about it - and then your only choice is to go after them and get your people back before they lose too many limbs, which might be difficult if you are already struggling to the point that they could knock one of your guys out at all.

It's like the slaver problem, except unlike slaves, Fogmen captives have a distinctly limited shelf life.

oh, well I guess I just played too cautious and believed NPC dialog too much because by the time I actually had an encounter with them they were manageable. I think I had a couple of skeletons KO during a fight but they didn't abduct them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's entirely because they never abduct skeletons. Cannibals don't, either.

Which makes sense, they're made of metal. How would they eat them? It's more of a danger when you're running around with organics. Those knocked-out guys would've been gone - possible to save, maybe, but still a pain.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

That's entirely because they never abduct skeletons. Cannibals don't, either.

Which makes sense, they're made of metal. How would they eat them? It's more of a danger when you're running around with organics. Those knocked-out guys would've been gone - possible to save, maybe, but still a pain.

Neat detail! I love that this game has that level of depth.

Speaking of some level of depth I'd like to see in the game, it'd be cool if when you build in an existing city you could make your power grid public or private in some way, and if you make it public you get some kind of benefit.

Move in and be the power company!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I kind of appreciate that you can feed into the city power grid at all. At times, this actually makes a difference. World's End relies basically entirely on wind power and has a habit of developing issues with its hydroponic farms as a result. The wind will stop, the power will run out, and the seedlings will die.

By setting up a bevy of batteries, you can even out those brownouts and make sure that the food grows reliably, which you can then quite easily harvest for your own benefit. No one really cares that much, so long as you remember to close the doors.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

I kind of appreciate that you can feed into the city power grid at all. At times, this actually makes a difference. World's End relies basically entirely on wind power and has a habit of developing issues with its hydroponic farms as a result. The wind will stop, the power will run out, and the seedlings will die.

By setting up a bevy of batteries, you can even out those brownouts and make sure that the food grows reliably, which you can then quite easily harvest for your own benefit. No one really cares that much, so long as you remember to close the doors.

When I was city mining in Squin, I built a bunch of batteries in the longhouse I bought so my research bench and leather crafting station could function around the clock. I like to imagine it helped the town, too, in some way.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have discovered that The Hub is an absolutely useless town. I bought a Stormhouse in it and gave it plenty of power and all, but the second something more dangerous than bandits comes around everybody in the town dies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats what we've been saying. Squin is way better

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
This game is WILD sometimes.. HAHAH.. Pack bull gets knocked down by wolves, sent a lone guy with it, lone guy picks up packbull which is fully loaded with weapons and carries it to town.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Physics are merely suggestions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Have someone pick up a beak thing sometime

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite is the mega crab

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, do that. Or really anything that is substantially bigger than yourself. It only gets funnier.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hopefully someone will know whats going on here:

In my LP I took out Valamon, I kidnapped him and held him in a cell. This caused the usual world state, Ark got taken over, all reaver camps are owned by the south hive, and reaver patrols have vanished.

Eventually I took him out and dropped him at the spider tower to kill him. But I'm pretty sure he just indefinitely stayed playing dead, so he is still technically alive and is no longer in a cage.

Now I'm seeing reavers run around everywhere, like before I took out Valamon. Ark and the camps are still the same, but did the game revert and the reavers are back in action now, since Valamon is not dead and technically no longer imprisoned?

E: I've moved away, letting the area unload, then came back. Everything is still the same when it comes to base ownership, but reavers keep spawning. It was funny, my glitched crab tournament went to Ark, and then a bunch of reavers spawned on top of them.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 30, 2019

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Time to pack up cannibal land. Where can I go to build a base that'll get guys who are around 30-40 skill to wreck my guys for training but won't carry them off to death?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Time to pack up cannibal land. Where can I go to build a base that'll get guys who are around 30-40 skill to wreck my guys for training but won't carry them off to death?

The Holy Nation has been a reliable source of pain. They have large groups running around all over the place and will reliably kick your rear end until you are strong, but will just heal up and leave once they win. High Paladins and Inquisitors are much stronger and are a reliable challenge even for a strong character. That also makes them an excellent personal training dummy to kidnap.

Reavers are in a similar skill bracket, but will enslave people if they win. Not a death sentence but it can still be a pain in the rear end.

Berserker country is up north and one of the best places to get your rear end handed to you. It only has two spawns, wild bulls and berserkers. This means you will find constant fights with decently strong enemies. It also means you will eventually get beaten into a coma. So have some kind of emergency escape plan if you go there.

Leal posted:

Hopefully someone will know whats going on here:

Have you tried re-importing the save? If he really isn't dead that might fix him being mia.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 1, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Could head deeper to leviathan coast and practice on break things and eventually leviathans

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know where's even better than Squin? Stoat.

I started over and spawned in Venge, and did not feel like going back to the Border Zone. Stoat is amazing.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I need lots of Science books now, I decided to check out the lost library near bad teeth. After the 40 blood spider rampage I broke into the tower. Not a single drat Science book in any of the chests or bins.

Is the best way to get these just ping pong between waystations?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Labs are good. Libraries mostly give maps.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I need lots of Science books now, I decided to check out the lost library near bad teeth. After the 40 blood spider rampage I broke into the tower. Not a single drat Science book in any of the chests or bins.

Is the best way to get these just ping pong between waystations?

regular books are usually easy enough to buy or steal

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, standard science books you need enough of that you should just buy them in bulk. It's not even worth trying to get them from labs because you really need them for everything until at least Tech Level 4.5 or so. As in, on the general range of hundreds. That isn't sustainable just by finding them.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 2, 2019

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, standard science books you need enough of that you should just buy them in bulk. It's not even worth trying to get them from labs because you really need them for everything until at least Tech Level 4.5 or so. As in, on the general range of hundreds. That isn't sustainable just by finding them.

Specifically 306 but who's counting

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I meant the ancient Science books with the blue covers.

Need it for tech 5 right now

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I meant the ancient Science books with the blue covers.

Need it for tech 5 right now

Those are a bit harder. You can find a scant few of them for sale or hidden in safe places like the Science HQ in World's End, but mostly you have to search ruins. You've reached the part of the game that requires going out and doing dangerous stuff. You're going to need ~150 of those books to unlock everything and that is going to require getting your rear end kicked a whole bunch.

Those libraries you found are mostly useful for maps to bigger and harder to find locations, not actual loot.

Ancient Labs are your best bet, but they are also filled with multiple guard spiders. You can also find some in the Grid on those ancient workshops. Be sure you bring a team capable of dealing with a pack of beak things though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anything marked as "Travel and Repairs Shop" (usually owned by the Tech Hunter faction) will sell Ancient Science Books. You, again, need about 150 or so to fully research everything, so while collecting them is possible, it's still in the range where outright buying them is simply more feasible.

It you are set on collecting them, then they can be found in any locations marked Ancient Lab, Lost Library, Lost Town or Ancient Tech Lab, as well as in a smattering of other places. These, however, are the most reliable.

Aggressive archaeology becomes most viable by the point you start to need Engineering Research and AI Cores for the real high-end stuff.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cardiovorax posted:

Anything marked as "Travel and Repairs Shop" (usually owned by the Tech Hunter faction) will sell Ancient Science Books. You, again, need about 150 or so to fully research everything, so while collecting them is possible, it's still in the range where outright buying them is simply more feasible.

It you are set on collecting them, then they can be found in any locations marked Ancient Lab, Lost Library, Lost Town or Ancient Tech Lab, as well as in a smattering of other places. These, however, are the most reliable.

Aggressive archaeology becomes most viable by the point you start to need Engineering Research and AI Cores for the real high-end stuff.

Science items that you find in shops, other than regular books, never respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Really? Because I could swear I've seen them do it, even before modded my game. The wiki says their store inventory runs on the artifact system, so they can spawn special stuff.