Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

it's like Apple looked at a Roku and said:

1. OHHHH we need an aquarium screen saver!
2. Let's bomb the front page with ads!

:argh:

I'm sure this is the same team responsible for "animoji's" etc. :suicide:

Animoji’s are fun though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Ads?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I'm with you. I haven't seen any ads.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
shows that paid them, to blow up the main screen..... whatever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

shows that paid them, to blow up the main screen..... whatever

It's been like this since like tvOS 9 or something. You hover on an app in the top bar and it shows a larger image of that app's logo or shows that are available to watch or whatever. Now some of them are animated. It's a tiny change. Have you even updated yet?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm specifically referring to the TV app as pointed out in previous posts and the ones referring to "Bob and Abishola" .

If you use the TV app to manage content it's a huge downgrade and obnoxious.

Now you have to press the TV app to see what you've been watching/up next.

also, I move all the stupid itunes tv shows/movies crap to the bottom.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Keyser_Soze posted:

Neither of these things are on the Apple TV dude.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm specifically referring to the TV app as pointed out in previous posts and the ones referring to "Bob and Abishola" .

If you use the TV app to manage content it's a huge downgrade and obnoxious.

Now you have to press the TV app to see what you've been watching/up next.

also, I move all the stupid itunes tv shows/movies crap to the bottom.

The TV app has ALWAYS suggested things to watch.

The only legitimate complaint you have is that they removed the Up Next feature from the preview. Everything else you've done is just whining about things that either aren't there or have always been there.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
An actual, if subjective, problem with tvOS 13 is that it now reports the device’s HDMI name as the actual given name of your device (eg, “John Appleseed’s Apple TV”) instead of just “Apple TV” and now I need to actually set an override on my receiver to keep the name tidily in the display panel. It absolutely sucks. Whole OS is ruined for me now. I am very normal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It'd be cool if CEC worked ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish it would be completely broken out of the box, rather than giving people false hope.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If I mash buttons enough it’ll eventually wake the TV up

need line of sight to adjust my soundbar though

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's weird. CEC is one of the things I've long been very impressed with specifically on Apple TV. It's been flawless, out of the box, from day one. It actually Just Worked. It's the only device I own that properly interacts with my TV, receiver, and other devices, both ways. It's not like the Nintendo Switch, which can turn everything on but not off, and can be turned off by the TV but can't turn the TV off. The ATV's never given me one CEC problem.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised others weren't so lucky.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think it’s less to do with Apple, and rather the fact that the seamless cross compatibility goes out the window if x manufacture doesn’t push updates or fully functional CEC

I’d rather have it broken than not at all, but it is a bit of a marketing scheme imo

-edit also a lot of companies give it their own buzzword name and you have to manually enable for x HDMI slot it under a weird hidden submenu

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 26, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CEC works almost 100% of the time to turn on my Apple TV/TV/receiver, but only about 30% of the time does my TV (Samsung) actually detect the receiver for audio output. I just went to back to using an optical cable.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unfortunately optical ports are seemingly all but obsolete in new hardware outside of PC use

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My only problem with CEC is that if I turn off my PS4, it likes to turn on my AppleTV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
CEC rules until you cat steps on your Apple Remote in the middle of the night and you're blinded by the 100% brightness screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t leave your remote on the floor? :confused:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t leave your remote on the floor? :confused:

:hmmyes: Cats totally stay on the floor and never walk on tables, couches, etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

American McGay posted:

CEC rules until you cat steps on your Apple Remote in the middle of the night and you're blinded by the 100% brightness screen.

lol I heard that

Sometimes it’s too drat sensitive. I really don’t like the remote much, had to add a silicone case. Plus I—mostly pets—drop it a lot.

PS4 is extremely fucky. Oh poo poo accidentally switched to that input ok now my PS4 is kicking on I’ll go back to my Apple TV while I wait for it to boot, then the PS4 takes source control again

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It seems like the main touchpad for the ATV remote doesn't turn everything on anymore, I gotta hit the menu or tv screen button to turn it on, which is a big improvement imo. I keep the remote in a pouch hanging on the side of the couch and if the cat bumped the pouch before it would turn everything on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’d buy a 4K for Arcade to replace my 4th gen but I just can’t shake this fear/hope that they release a new model this year...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

I’d buy a 4K for Arcade to replace my 4th gen but I just can’t shake this fear/hope that they release a new model this year...

Well you'll know in about a month. Apple sometimes has a mid/late-October event and since Apple TV+ is launching Nov.1, you would think that would be the time they would announce a new Apple TV model. Although, I'm not sure what else they could really add to it. I'd kill for a TV tuner in it but I realize that if they were gonna do that they'd have done it years ago. Other than that, I guess they could just do a spec bump with a new processor and keep everything else mostly the same.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Spec bump call it a pro. Wipe out the 4th gen. I’ll bite now that it’s a gaming machine.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Well you'll know in about a month. Apple sometimes has a mid/late-October event and since Apple TV+ is launching Nov.1, you would think that would be the time they would announce a new Apple TV model. Although, I'm not sure what else they could really add to it. I'd kill for a TV tuner in it but I realize that if they were gonna do that they'd have done it years ago. Other than that, I guess they could just do a spec bump with a new processor and keep everything else mostly the same.

Add an always-on mic so it can also act as a speaker-less HomePod.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Thwomp posted:

After using Amazon’s Cube this summer, the only real advantage it had over AppleTV was the Alexa voice control. While menu navigation will always be a bitch with voice controls, I really like telling Alexa to turn TV on/off, switch inputs, or change channels on my TV. If they don’t have true Siri integration in the next AppleTV it will be a mistake.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thwomp posted:

No thank you.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
I have an iTunes Match subscription, is there a way to disable the apple music stuff on the new tvos like there is on my phone?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm digging Steamlink.app with my PS4 controller, seems like a nice replacement for a Steamlink.

This might be a better question for the Steam thread, I've always preferred xbox360 controllers but they won't work with AppleTV. Xbox One controllers seem to have a lot of complaints about build quality and I'm curious if that's really the case or just vocal one-stars on Amazon. My 360 controller I use(d) with my PC and Steamlink is still going strong after over 7 years of use, but I obviously can't use it with the AppleTV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snuffman posted:

I'm digging Steamlink.app with my PS4 controller, seems like a nice replacement for a Steamlink.

This might be a better question for the Steam thread, I've always preferred xbox360 controllers but they won't work with AppleTV. Xbox One controllers seem to have a lot of complaints about build quality and I'm curious if that's really the case or just vocal one-stars on Amazon. My 360 controller I use(d) with my PC and Steamlink is still going strong after over 7 years of use, but I obviously can't use it with the AppleTV.

I've had no issues with my Xbox One controller (or the Dualshock 4).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I heard the One controllers work too which kinda sucks because I have a zillion 360 controllers :haw:

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
360 controllers were still using a proprietary communications format I think right? Where as PS4 and the newer XBONE ones all use Bluetooth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yup I think that is it. I have the wireless dongle to use them on my pc but the ones just use Bt.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Video previews can be disabled!

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Motion -> Auto-Play Video Previews

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Video previews can be disabled!

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Motion -> Auto-Play Video Previews

:toot:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

When I AirPlay YouTube/etc videos from my fully updated iPad Pro to the Apple TV it pops up the title in the corner but never pushes the video. Only the audio. Any ideas?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I can’t find the option to sync icon layouts between ATV devices in the same house anymore. Maybe I had too many beers tonight, but I swear there was an option to keep things lined up. Like, if I moved/installed an app on one ATV, it would mirror it on any others.

Regis Christ
Mar 27, 2010

"Get it? I'm old!"

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I can’t find the option to sync icon layouts between ATV devices in the same house anymore. Maybe I had too many beers tonight, but I swear there was an option to keep things lined up. Like, if I moved/installed an app on one ATV, it would mirror it on any others.

I had a hard time finding this too:

Settings -> Users and Accounts -> iCloud -> One Home Screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks!