Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

So if Barr does somehow do that, how quickly do the wheels fall off the Trump train? Cause I feel without him shutting down everything in the DoJ, a lot of people are suddenly gonna be feeling the heat

If Bill Barr legit fled the US and can't be contacted or made to appear after he's been implicated in a scandal this big, it would probably be the thing that really, finally legitimized it in a way that absolutely nobody could ignore anymore. I'm skeptical that he has really done that, but like, it's pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol this is such insane poo poo that is happening I love it and hate it and oh man what a time it is to be alive and to be a goon

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Attorney General straight up fleeing the country is even less likely than the Senate voting to convict Trump. Its such an insane, ridiculous idea.

and there's a nonzero chance of it happening

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it rules so much that one pathetic shrimp of a man calling the only people he could intimidate cockwaffles if they thought anything left of a 1990 Republican could get elected with a D next to their name is why the entire Obama administration's agenda withered and died

he was on colbert a few weeks ago and i was absolutely disgusted that anybody still gives him the time of day

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Hey remember when the Whitehouse emailed its talking points to the world and then tried to unsend them? When was that... oh 48 hours ago.

What a fuckin week!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's more likely Barr is just being super loving quiet until they have some sort of gameplan.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's more likely Barr is just being super loving quiet until they have some sort of gameplan.

Or he somehow got memory holed for 20 years from the last time he committed treason against the republic and no one has been engaged enough to notice until now

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Bill Barr being out if the country all week makes all of Trump's crazy actions make way more sense. He would have probably been able to convince Trump not release the call memo, but without him you just have Rudy

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Uncle Wemus posted:

he was on colbert a few weeks ago and i was absolutely disgusted that anybody still gives him the time of day

NBC had him doing analysis after the most recent DNC debate, it was disgusting

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
There is no flipping way Barr is running anywhere, they're using this time to formulate a strategy probably.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Jesus christ guys. I have been busy launching a game and am getting caught up on the news for the last week...

I posted this on page one.

“Evergreen post: America is hoping House Democrats find their spine today and move forward with impeaching the President for [list of all the criminal and ethics violations from this administration.]”

That was four days and 180 posts ago.

It is a bit surreal to step away and come back to see four years of news happen in four days.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Bill Barr will turn up in Iran as a hostage, heroically sacrificing his very life so he doesn't have to come back to America and face the music (and to give Trump the opportunity to wag that dog hard).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Charlz Guybon posted:

WTF?

In what universe would you not rush back to DC in order to try and manage the fallout hands on? Just continuing that trips just smacks of defeatism or hubris

The trip started when all this poo poo heated up. I doubt that's a coincidence.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Uncle Wemus posted:

Did he give Colbert a piece of candy? It makes it all better.

And if anyone is serious, of course Barr isn't fleeing the country.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

as W. so memorably taught us.

god I still love they called McCain's funeral a meeting of the #resistance

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, but why didn't he come back after the transcript disaster?
Which is it? Hubris or defeatism?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

mod sassinator posted:

Hey remember when the Whitehouse emailed its talking points to the world and then tried to unsend them? When was that... oh 48 hours ago.

I'm still pretty convinced that this and the Fucknutsville Incident were more "accident" than accident

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

And to think, the Greenland Purchase was only 3.5 centuries ago.

Made the mistake of watching a bit of PBS Newshour tonight. David Brooks was making the argument that impeachment is a mistake because it's an election year, it squashes the primaries, Senate acquitting will give Trump a victory (as if that was not already assumed), let the voters decide etc. He was asked (paraphrasing) "by this argument, is there ANYTHING Trump could do, any line he could cross where you'd think he should be impeached prior to the election?" and he was left hemming and hawing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but why didn't he come back after the transcript disaster?
Which is it? Hubris or defeatism?

What does he or the administration have to gain by rescheduling his trip? It just makes things look worse and there's not much he can't do via phone calls that he can do being physically in Washington.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

"Hey, Bob, what did you do this weekend?"

"Well, the wife and I went to the farmer's market, then took in a movie, and had a nice little late dinner. IT WAS VERY LEGAL AND VERY GOOD!"
some kind of weird human trafficking, a snuff film, and cannibalism

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Read this if you want to ruin the headline

Fucknutsville was a term coined by Rahm Emanuel to describe Washington DC

Joke’s on you, numbnuts, Twitter Fanfiction Rahm Emanuel has overwritten my memories of Actual Rahm Emanuel because reality doesn’t loving matter any more and I don’t give a poo poo :homebrew:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

1glitch0 posted:

What does he or the administration have to gain by rescheduling his trip? It just makes things look worse and there's not much he can't do via phone calls that he can do being physically in Washington.

He could be there to physically manage Trump. He is a massive idiot who needs that sort of attention kept on him to keep him from going and doing stupid poo poo. Any actual bureaucratic stuff though...yeah he could do anything he needed over phone or e-mail.

Well maybe not e-mail this madness is moving too fast for sedate e-mails.

RandomBlue posted:

The trip started when all this poo poo heated up. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Oh yeah I find the entire thing pretty suspicious. Though I doubt it's full-on "fleeing the country" as hilarious as it is. Probably more meeting people he really shouldn't be meeting out of desperation or hubris.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

Managing Trump is something that can only be done hands on, face to face.

You tell him something and hang up, and he's already listening to the guy next to him and forgot about you.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
As a pure aside: is it meant to be Zelensky, Zelenskiy or Zelenskyy? Wikipedia tells me it's officially Zelenskyy and I know Ukrainian romanization is a bit different from Russian, but I don't know much on the subject and am curious.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Zwabu posted:

And to think, the Greenland Purchase was only 3.5 centuries ago.

Made the mistake of watching a bit of PBS Newshour tonight. David Brooks was making the argument that impeachment is a mistake because it's an election year, it squashes the primaries, Senate acquitting will give Trump a victory (as if that was not already assumed), let the voters decide etc. He was asked (paraphrasing) "by this argument, is there ANYTHING Trump could do, any line he could cross where you'd think he should be impeached prior to the election?" and he was left hemming and hawing.

Jesus Christ the Greenland thing was only last month, yet feels like an eternity ago.

Imagine a person going into a coma for a month and just waking up without anyone telling them how long they were out. Poor bastards would think Trump was in his second term for all the poo poo that happened in this time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/status/1177793763114209283

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1177603475292725254

https://mobile.twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1177756953176662016

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I assume Wallace is already getting crucified in every rightwing safe space on the internet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

eh wallace to a lesser degree is like shep in they're given leeway to talk poo poo its part of the kayfabe

that's how you know it's fair and balanced!!

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
So according to the call transcript, Trump thinks that Biden at one time openly bragged about how he withheld aid to the Ukraine to get them to dismiss a prosecutor investigating his son. And proof of this is the dirt Trump thinks the Ukraine/Zelenskyy can deliver on Biden.
I know the Biden connection has mostly been completely debunked but has it been discussed where Trump got the idea about it? Did someone post a Qanon conspiracy video on YouTube that he saw and took as gospel?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I won’t be able to check in on this thread while at work so please no multi page detail while I’m gone, if I see a bazillion new posts waiting for me I want them to be about White House fuckups tia.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Why would he do that?

Did he just assume that Trump would edit out the crimes? Or was this him throwing Trump under the bus?

https://mobile.twitter.com/WordswithSteph/status/1177771035170607104

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Berke Negri posted:

eh wallace to a lesser degree is like shep in they're given leeway to talk poo poo its part of the kayfabe

that's how you know it's fair and balanced!!

Yeah I don't have a lot of sympathy or respect for either of them, they're integral to how Fox News works. Same for Juan Whatsisname and Geraldo Rivera et al.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

King of Foolians posted:

So according to the call transcript, Trump thinks that Biden at one time openly bragged about how he withheld aid to the Ukraine to get them to dismiss a prosecutor investigating his son. And proof of this is the dirt Trump thinks the Ukraine/Zelenskyy can deliver on Biden.
I know the Biden connection has mostly been completely debunked but has it been discussed where Trump got the idea about it? Did someone post a Qanon conspiracy video on YouTube that he saw and took as gospel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXA--dj2-CY&t=16s

There was no QAnon tier conspiracy behind this. Biden himself proudly admits it while throwing in a look at his watch about how timely Ukraine did what he wanted once he withheld a billion dollars from them.

The only thing debunked is that the prosecutor was investigating his son. It was just a coincidental investigation into a related company at a different time.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 28, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Might be getting some of his taxes soon

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1177858239091941376

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why would he do that?

Did he just assume that Trump would edit out the crimes? Or was this him throwing Trump under the bus?

https://mobile.twitter.com/WordswithSteph/status/1177771035170607104

Is... is the turtle throwing donny under the bus... ? I mean it looks like it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If true, it could send shock waves through this whole thing if Donny thinks the Turtle is betraying him.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

The Glumslinger posted:

Bill Barr being out if the country all week makes all of Trump's crazy actions make way more sense. He would have probably been able to convince Trump not release the call memo, but without him you just have Rudy

Anybody thinking Barr had any ability to save Trump from himself when he released the Ukraine readout is missing the nature of Trumps reaction political near-death situations.

Trump has no idea the benefit he got out of Barr de-fanged the Mueller report just before it was about to strike. Trump now believes he was always going to skate through the report unscathed.

Why would he listen to a low energy coward when he can release the "transcript" and prove to all that no document can ever bring harm to Trump.

E: added quote because yet more news broke the conversation flow.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 28, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

If true, it could send shock waves through this whole thing if Donny thinks the Turtle is betraying him.

I mean, I'm sure Mitch assumed he would release a transcript edited to make him look good, but Trump could easily end up blaming him for it.

After all, who else is he going to blame? Himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Cable Guy posted:

Is... is the turtle throwing donny under the bus... ? I mean it looks like it.

My theory is that Mitch thinks the Dems are too toothless to really do anything about Trump's actual crimes. But after Mueller the only thing he's slightly concerned about is obstruction of justice.