Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Just an excuse to share this video
https://youtu.be/DpXy041BIlA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

ecavalli posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Enter the Gungeon for a first time player? I just realized I bought it a long while back, but only maybe did two or three runs before getting distracted by something else. Now, I wanna dive in with both feet. So, what should I know/do/avoid?

Mithross posted:

I am not great at Gungeon but one tip I can share because it was a tip I needed when I first started playing: realize the dodge roll is your oh poo poo move, not your regular avoidance maneuver. Learn to dodge patterns with normal movement as much as possible.

Seconding this.

The other major thing is to go ahead and use your guns instead of trying to conserve them. Not only is that the actual fun part of the game, it also makes it significantly easier to progress forward and get more weapons and upgrades.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Also, the metaprogression in Gungeon is actually important. There is a poo poo-ton of really good guns that you plain won't ever see on a first run.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
noita owns yall

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Chess Chat: about ten years ago I played around with Fritz, a very well regarded chess engine used by Masters and Grandmasters for practicing or analyzing games. It was definitely overpowered against me, but, and this is crucial, it was able to play down to my level and adjust its power on the fly, even in the middle of a game, such that I was able to beat it half the time, and felt challenged in doing so, but also it took advantage of dumb errors and clobbered my rear end, and forced errors of its own for me to catch. That’s good AI folks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Chin Strap posted:

Haha this is great

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

This was really neat, thanks for sharing it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh drat! Thank for telling me, I had no idea. 2017, huh? Looks like I might be able to buy a Go program someday soon that can actually pose a challenge.

OGS has a bunch of AIs in the 6d-8d range you can play against right now, if that's strong enough for you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ToxicFrog posted:

OGS has a bunch of AIs in the 6d-8d range you can play against right now, if that's strong enough for you.
Definitely. I never really got into the whole online thing, so my skill are really limited to whoever I can find offline (which isn't many) or how much I was able to get out of what offline AI programs I previously knew about. I don't think I'm even legitimately dan rank at all.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Definitely. I never really got into the whole online thing, so my skill are really limited to whoever I can find offline (which isn't many) or how much I was able to get out of what offline AI programs I previously knew about. I don't think I'm even legitimately dan rank at all.

Oh! Definitely check out OGS, then; unlike earlier online Go platforms I tried out (IGS/KGS) it runs entirely in the browser and is quite easy to set up. They've got bots in the 13-3 kyo range and in 6-8 dan, and tens of thousands of human players.

I've been playing against the 13k bots and getting my rear end kicked. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That does sound good. I mostly used to play CGoban on Linux work systems and back when I was still really into playing, they were limited to... I don't quite remember, 5-10 kyu I think. It was relatively weak.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Noita looks amazing but can anyone tell me about it's 'partial controller support?'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

vorebane posted:

Noita looks amazing but can anyone tell me about it's 'partial controller support?'

Partial controller support generally means full controller support but you might have to click your mouse a few times at startup.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

vorebane posted:

It's perfectly functional but as far as I can tell there's no auto-aim or "snap-to" function with targeting so it seems like it would make the game more difficult. Once you start diving deep, sniping late-game enemies at max effective range becomes pretty important with most setups, and it's still pretty challenging with KB&M -- i can only imagine it's even trickier in a controller

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Good enough for me then, thank you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cardiovorax posted:

That does sound good. I mostly used to play CGoban on Linux work systems and back when I was still really into playing, they were limited to... I don't quite remember, 5-10 kyu I think. It was relatively weak.
It's dangerous to Go alone. Take this.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fun thing about noita:
berserk potions double damage
bomb radius is affected by damage

ergo,
https://i.imgur.com/D3ocyK5.mp4

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

fun thing about noita:
berserk potions double damage
bomb radius is affected by damage

ergo,
https://i.imgur.com/D3ocyK5.mp4
If there's a Noita thread, this needs to go in the OP.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

PMush Perfect posted:

If there's a Noita thread, this needs to go in the OP.

1. There is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899511
2. Done.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
My favorite from that thread is this one

Pigbuster posted:

Someone linked me to Glass cannon + nuke, it's

uh

https://i.imgur.com/cJnh7vy.mp4

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Seriously. I was playing an angband variant recently where whoever spun off the variant gave the enemy AI custom scripting to thwart all the usual angband tactics like anti-summoning corridors and phase door spam. Tactics which are really necessary in a game where you have to kill 10 million enemies without dying once to win and out-of-depth enemy spawns can easily kill you in a single turn if you haven't prepared properly. Enemies don't have mana limits in that game, so every unique enemy fight was an excruciating grind as unique enemies would just run away and spam heals and infinitely summon clusters of high-level monsters around the player.

if it was a poslike you just kinda make one extra empty square in your ASC and then walk into the thing you want to kill. it's more dangerous than having no open squares but the game is still extremely winnable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

if it was a poslike you just kinda make one extra empty square in your ASC and then walk into the thing you want to kill. it's more dangerous than having no open squares but the game is still extremely winnable.

I remember playing I think it was NPPband which had smart spellcasters. Basically it played out as every single fight started out with you doing your best to survive while they repeatedly threw their strongest attacks at you, until they ran low on mana. Maybe you'd get some hits in during that part and force them to use some of their mana on healing themselves instead of hurting you, but realistically you needed to have colossal amounts of healing to win lategame fights.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kanfy posted:

My favorite from that thread is this one

I love the three full seconds it takes the game to calculate just how badly you hosed up

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've been getting back into Slay the Spire and managed to ascend the Ironclad and the Defect over the last two days after a long string of not quite getting it. It's finally starting to click for me and I'm loving how finely-tuned it is.

I ran into a holy moly dumb combo with the Defect. I ended up with a combination of Relics and Cards that meant whenever I played a Power, another card would get dropped to 0 cost, I'd channel a Lightning and draw 2 cards. Alongside cards that gave me extra Orb slots and the ones that trigger your Orbs when your turn starts, after a few turns I'd be channeling 3-4 Lightning each time I played almost any of my cards. I got the Time Eater for my final boss which got kind of dicey because I couldn't really get Block, but I could rush it down fast enough to wipe it before it could kill me.

The one character I'm still kind of stuck on is the Silent. I understand the basic logic of getting a poison or shiv build together, but I can't seem to get any momentum. Anyone got any tips for getting the hang of it?

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 28, 2019

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I remember playing I think it was NPPband which had smart spellcasters. Basically it played out as every single fight started out with you doing your best to survive while they repeatedly threw their strongest attacks at you, until they ran low on mana. Maybe you'd get some hits in during that part and force them to use some of their mana on healing themselves instead of hurting you, but realistically you needed to have colossal amounts of healing to win lategame fights.

oh baby turning every monster into Nodens with smart_cheat on, now that's the kind of gameplay i want!!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zeerust posted:

I've been getting back into Slay the Spire and managed to ascend the Ironclad and the Defect over the last two days after a long string of not quite getting it. It's finally starting to click for me and I'm loving how finely-tuned it is.

I ran into a holy moly dumb combo with the Defect. I ended up with a combination of Relics and Cards that meant whenever I played a Power, another card would get dropped to 0 cost, I'd channel a Lightning and draw 2 cards. Alongside cards that gave me extra Orb slots and the ones that trigger your Orbs when your turn starts, after a few turns I'd be channeling 3-4 Lightning each time I played almost any of my cards. I got the Time Eater for my final boss which got kind of dicey because I couldn't really get Block, but I could rush it down fast enough to wipe it before it could kill me.

The one character I'm still kind of stuck on is the Silent. I understand the basic logic of getting a poison or shiv build together, but I can't seem to get any momentum. Anyone got any tips for getting the hang of it?
I'd answer but there's other people in this thread much better at it than I am.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

megane posted:

Hm, are there any games like StS where you do build a deck in the MtG sense? Like... I dunno, at the start of each run you draft a deck, or maybe you can have decks saved and then pick one for each run or similar. I've never heard of a game like that but it could be fun.

Deck of Ashes makes you choose to start the game either with the basic deck or a draft deck with a bunch of card picks and is very similar to StS!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's a modifier you can use in STS where you draft a deck, and one where you pick from a stack of 20ish cards (ala MTG sealed)

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Card Quest is all about being good at cardplay, since you rarely want to swap cards over the course of the run. Do note there is some serious meta-progression, since all the unlockable equipment (card packs) is generally better than the starting equipment (card packs), with some pieces of equipment being straight upgrades that replace your starting equipment forever.

It is mostly just starting gear that's strictly bad, though. Others might be of questionable use, but that's more about awkward gimmicks than just cards with bad numbers on them.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This was really neat, thanks for sharing it.

Every video on his channel is great if you haven't seen them

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sacrificial Toast posted:

It is mostly just starting gear that's strictly bad, though. Others might be of questionable use, but that's more about awkward gimmicks than just cards with bad numbers on them.
Trials of Fire is another game with the same mechanics and a more traditional theme if for some reason you don't like "affectionate parody of taking your first fumbling steps into playing D&D".

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Is there a roguelike with satisfying combat? For all their depth and great gameplay, I often feel like there's a lost opportunity for immersion when I attack that huge ogre and it feels like entering a row in a spreadsheet.

I don't need much either. I'm not talking about something like how Dead Cells has really satisfying combat, but just a little visual oomph. Something that makes an attack feel like an attack.

Edit: Cogmind definitely has the right idea with the animations and explosions and all that.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 29, 2019

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Zeerust posted:

I had that kind of combo rocking on a ascension run. Made it to the actual final final boss. I had walked through the game with almost zero effort. Lost by a single turn.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zedlic posted:

Is there a roguelike with satisfying combat? For all their depth and great gameplay, I often feel like there's a lost opportunity for immersion when I attack that huge ogre and it feels like entering a row in a spreadsheet.

DoomRL.

Sounds design is everything, and DoomRL steals from the best. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If there's any game that I would say has this, then DoomRL would be it, yeah. ASCII art does not lend itself to a lot of, uh, immersion.

In any roguelike that uses the Angband engine, you can do things like a base attack delay, so that instead of spells being just a flicker on the screen, they slowly move every tile and explosions bloom out from an epicentre. That's one way to do it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dungeonmans has little animations for basically everything. They're mostly just graphical tiles sliding around, but they help keep things from feeling static.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cogmind also has Visceral sfx for combat, with suitably meaty thuds for kinetic weapons and lovely fwoosh sounds for rockets, accompanied by some colored particle effect stuff. No pain thuds however, and its Cogmind so getting shot at is usually a stressor and rarely cathartic. DoomRL probably takes the cake.

But yea good gunfeel is a hard thing to capture and many AAA games have failed at it. I remember UT2k3 having all the guns feel like plastic nerf toys, and I have no idea why.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
SYNTHETIK does a good job of making combat satisfying. The reload mechanics demand accuracy, headshots demand precision, and the weapons generally have a great OOMPH behind them. Great sound effects and lots of hard places to dodge your way out of.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zedlic posted:

I don't need much either. I'm not talking about something like how Dead Cells has really satisfying combat, but just a little visual oomph. Something that makes an attack feel like an attack.

Edit: Cogmind definitely has the right idea with the animations and explosions and all that.

DoomRL (with sound on, and ideally in tile mode) or Dungeonmans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Who all is going to the Roguelike Celebration 2019 next weekend? I just bought my ticket. I see that Unormal and madjack are giving talks.