Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
An extra 0 probably got added on the JPY end somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ReindeerF posted:

This is probably my 4th or 5th time through Japan, all but one of which have been visits like this one - purposeful 17 hour layovers on a JAL flight - so I'm not like a level 23 Japan expert.

Still, one thing that's very different from the US or Thailand or Cambodia or even maybe Hong Kong or most places I travel is that I have never, ever seen a confrontation that I can think of. I haven't even seen like the auntie-in-training girlfriend publicly berating her cuck boyfriend who is wearing the matching shirt and hat and drinking a matching bubble tea, which I'm pretty sure I've seen in HK, SG and maybe even Taipei (though Taipei seems pretty drat chill).

I've only ever had one longer visit of about a couple of weeks, and that was in the tourist countryside, with Osaka and Nagoya thrown in, but I figure I would have run across more than just a drunk stumbling uncle at the JR station at 23:45, heh.

WHERE ARE THEY HIDING THE SHOUTY PEOPLE OKAY??

my wife puts me on blast on a weekly basis, u should hang out with us sometime

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

LimburgLimbo posted:

https://www.paygent.co.jp/sp/

It’s a Japanese payments company but you should know how much you’re paying in approx USD val. If it’s way off then up to you.

It was supposed to be 22,200 JPY, which comes out to roughly $206. Which is what makes me think it's the card charging the Yen in USDs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ReindeerF posted:

Just out of curiosity is there some non-emotional reason to be against the stand to the right/left, walk to the right/left thing? It's the norm in all manner of places and it seems pretty generally logical to allow for both. My only complaint with the Japanese implementation is the Osaka/Tokyo switcheroo nonsense, but that's pretty minor.

It supposedly creates weird mechanical wear on the escalators since the standing side is always heavier.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I've got a rough itinerary for the six full days we'll have in Tokyo (October 6-11), but I'm still at a loss for what to do on the Sunday.

We have so much poo poo we want to see (eat) in Shibuya I'm almost thinking it's worth it to do two days there. How horrible will Meiji Jingu/Yoyogi/Shinjuku Gyoen Garden be on that Sunday?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
go to a soapland

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

go to a soapland

Lol @goons bathing/getting bathed

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

No go to a milk bar

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

Just out of curiosity is there some non-emotional reason to be against the stand to the right/left, walk to the right/left thing? It's the norm in all manner of places and it seems pretty generally logical to allow for both. My only complaint with the Japanese implementation is the Osaka/Tokyo switcheroo nonsense, but that's pretty minor.

I believe there is less throughput on each escalator if you have one side stand and one side walk. If everyone stands, they more efficiently use space.

https://www.businessinsider.com/more-efficient-better-stand-escalators-busy-tfl-holborn-tube-station-study-walk-2017-3?IR=T

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The points about wear and tear, and also overall throughput of the escalators make sense, yeah. I think the latter probably depends heavily on utilization and, at least in Tokyo they seem to be pretty much perpetually at capacity, heh, so an argument for carrying more people more efficiently under heavy utilization makes sense if the math on that is all correct, yeah.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You don't need to be a statistical wizard to realise that if two people stood on each step on an escalator it would on average take more people to the top faster if there's a queue for the escalator, simply because the amount of people that walk up is only a tiny fraction of the amount of people that stand.

The whole point of the stand/walk thing is that people who want to get to the top/bottom as fast as possible are able to. I did notice in Japan that not many people opt to walk compared at least to the London Underground, so they'd probably benefit a lot from a standing both sides system, but in the end it just pisses people off who are in a genuine rush.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Right, and you also don't need to be a wizard to consider, like I said, that the math only applies if the escalators are at, or probably near capacity. At many times in many places, they are not. The same goes for moving walkways in airports.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I sprint up escalators.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I found choco monakas in the us, I no longer have a reason to fly to japan

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Oh drat, just found out the Yurei spooky ghost restaurant in Kichijoji closed down last month. Was supposed to take my friend there for her 40th birthday next week!!

Any recommendations for other gimmick themed places that would be good for a birthday? Preferably one where we don’t need to be too stressed out about our Japanese not being super great, and bonus points if they can do anything birthday themed!

Probably not Alcatraz or The Lockup but I’m eyeing up Alice in a Labyrinth right now. She’d love places with a performance, like the table magic at Ninja Akasaka.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Oh drat, just found out the Yurei spooky ghost restaurant in Kichijoji closed down last month. Was supposed to take my friend there for her 40th birthday next week!!

Any recommendations for other gimmick themed places that would be good for a birthday? Preferably one where we don’t need to be too stressed out about our Japanese not being super great, and bonus points if they can do anything birthday themed!

Probably not Alcatraz or The Lockup but I’m eyeing up Alice in a Labyrinth right now. She’d love places with a performance, like the table magic at Ninja Akasaka.

I have no clue if they're any good, but:
-Vampire Cafe in Ginza
-Kawaii Monster Cafe in Harajuku

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ll look into the Vampire place, thanks!

We were at Kawaii Monster a few days ago - service was hella slow compared to a few years ago!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How kawaii are the monsters

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

oh no! that place ruled. i'm legit sad about this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah we meant to visit it last time but couldn’t make time for it. Really bummed out!

We’ve settled on the Shinjuku Alice in Wonderland place since it’s close to our hotel so we can have a shower after walking around Moominvalley in Hanno.

Bloodnose posted:

How kawaii are the monsters
It’s was burlesque night so not remotely Kawaii despite what the host said. Seeing the pole dancers has given me a renewed vigour for exercising though.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Japan in a bit over a month. I’ve been procrastinating.

Flying solo. Hostel or capsule hotel? I’m backpacking, I’m a 6’6” dude. I don’t see the benefit of a full hotel room when I’m traveling so light. I’m also new to solo backpacking travel and am happy for advice!

Most importantly: Anyone in Tokyo want to grab a beer?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yo where’s a good simple place for teriyaki chicken in Osaka? We’ve got a craving.

Nowhere too fancy, just something nice to eat to chill after driving to Iya and back!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

19 o'clock posted:

Flying solo. Hostel or capsule hotel? I’m backpacking, I’m a 6’6” dude. I don’t see the benefit of a full hotel room when I’m traveling so light. I’m also new to solo backpacking travel and am happy for advice!

You will be lucky to fit into the beds at either. Being diagonal or curling your legs will help. If you can sleep in a noisy environment they're good though, I'd take hostel over capsule. If you don't mind sleeping on a hard surface look for places with tatami rooms, not only are they cheaper (I had a few private ones that were way cheaper than even a hostel bunk) but it won't matter that the futon isn't long enough.

Also if you look around on AirBnB and business hotel sites you can find good deals. I ended up in a couple of business hotels last trip because they were the cheapest option in weird places like Okayama. And there are a good number of AirBnB listed fake hotel things where you get private rooms for cheap.

The privacy is nice. Also sitting in the tub in the evening while you chug a bottle of sake.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 1, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Who was the goon visiting in January??

https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/furusato/
Tokyo Furusato Matsuri is a big heckin thing with food and displays and performances from all over Japan.
January 10 - 19, 2020. Regional festival teams mostly perform on weekends. 2020 schedule is not yet decided.

Scroll down past the pie charts to see some 2019 photos.
2019: https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/furusato/exhibitor/
Full report: https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/furusato/exhibitor/pdf/report2019.pdf

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

Hostel better for solo travelers as you can meet and chill with people. Capsule hotels are sometimes hostel-like sometimes legit capsule hotels where it’s full of businessmen and poo poo.

For Hostels:
I used to like K’s house (no oasis which I’ve never been to) when I was bumming around at various points as the common room is good and friendly. Nui is a newer place that has a good lounge and bar attached to it but I’ve never stayed. They’re both by Asakusa which okay but far from most nightlife except for Ueno.

Zabutton is a bit of a hidden gem imo that’s a relatively short walk from Roppongi and Azabu which are neighborhoods that run the gamut from seedy (by Tokyo standards, but seriously you can get in trouble if you’re dumb) to very high end restaurants etc. it’s also like right next to Tokyo tower which is cool I guess.

I’m generally down to grab a beer and live and work near Shibuya so always in pissing distance.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yo where’s a good simple place for teriyaki chicken in Osaka? We’ve got a craving.

Nowhere too fancy, just something nice to eat to chill after driving to Iya and back!

You're probably thinking of yakitori. There should be something nearby like Daikichi.
https://www.daikichi.co.jp/menu/yakitori.html

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

3* Business hotels for privacy. It’s maybe a 2,000 yen/night difference (assuming 3,000/night for hostel and 5,000 for a hotel). But then I’m in my 30s so wanting to travel nicer much of the time.

Capsule hotels are seriously a last-option gimmick, especially at that height. Hostels might even be a bit rough too. [Edit] also seriously Japanese hotel rooms are tiny compared to American standard, so don’t think you’ll “waste space” necessarily.

Take a look at Toyoko Inn and find one near a major JR station.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm 6'2" and complain about not fitting in Japanese beds so you should give up on it forever and join me in the land of the tatami and futon. They're seriously the best way to sleep in Japan if you're over five feet tall.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I used a capsule hotel at Narita, but only for like a 3 hour nap before catching my flight to Hong Kong. It wasn't especially comfortable, it had a very thin mat for a bed but I was used to that from my time living in a coffin-locker. I don't think sleeping in them for an entire trip would leave you very rested.

I'm at a day and some change until my trip and I'm still toying with my itinerary. I whittled some of my temple picks down and my plan is now to hit up some of the most touristy spots in the early morning before the tour buses show up, then do my day trip items or the stuff on the outer edge of Kyoto, and return in the afternoon/evenings and do my shopping stuff. Hopefully that way I can escape the crowds somewhat. I actually signed up for a small guided tour through AirBnB's experiences section, a night time lantern (LED ones I think) lit visit to Fushimi Inari with a local who is going to explain the cultural stuff. Hopefully its a good time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

You're probably thinking of yakitori. There should be something nearby like Daikichi.
https://www.daikichi.co.jp/menu/yakitori.html
Thanks! I’ll pass that link on to the others.

My friends on this trip always make fun of me for loving anything stick-based due to my love of yakitori. We just fancied anything that could be covered in teriyaki sauce tonight. Although after getting lost around Osaka station (some work getting done meaning a lot of crossings that are on my maps app can’t be used) I’m happy with my 7-11 chicken sandwich in the hotel bath.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

peanut posted:

Who was the goon visiting in January??

https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/furusato/
Tokyo Furusato Matsuri is a big heckin thing with food and displays and performances from all over Japan.
January 10 - 19, 2020. Regional festival teams mostly perform on weekends. 2020 schedule is not yet decided.

Scroll down past the pie charts to see some 2019 photos.
2019: https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/furusato/exhibitor/
Full report: https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/furusato/exhibitor/pdf/report2019.pdf

Thanks for posting this. I'll be in Japan for Wrestle Kingdom during this time.

One thing I was wondering about was going to a Takarazuka Revue show when I'm in Osaka. Would people recommend such a thing?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

duckdealer posted:

One thing I was wondering about was going to a Takarazuka Revue show when I'm in Osaka. Would people recommend such a thing?

Goooooood luck getting tickets.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Thanks, all! I’ll re-examine hotels and probably pick a hostel if nothing else.

Bloodnose posted:

I'm 6'2" and complain about not fitting in Japanese beds so you should give up on it forever and join me in the land of the tatami and futon. They're seriously the best way to sleep in Japan if you're over five feet tall.

Noted. I haven’t fit into a bed since 17. I’m used to just folding myself in half.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
One does not simply walk into Takarazuka.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

harperdc posted:

Goooooood luck getting tickets.

Haha it does seem like that sort of thing. I did email them and they said tickets for foreigners for the times I will be there go on sale December 7. Maybe I'll get lucky and if not no big deal!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Still really considering flying into Tokyo and immediately hopping a Shinkansen to Osaka in April/May. I’d fly into KIX but all my flyer rewards put me into Tokyo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

it's the best way to sleep in japan at any height tatami owns

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Remember when I said I wouldn't post my itinerary? I lied. :getin:

I'll be arriving in Haneda from Chicago around 21:00 on Saturday, October 5th. We'll be flying out of Haneda on October 12th in the AM. It will be myself, my wife, and my best friend, all in our early 30's and it's our first trip to Japan.

Our AirBnB is in Sugamo, an eight minute walk from Sugamo station. We're going to spend a day at DisneySea, but that is already paid for. I'm aware we arrive at the tail end of a major Chinese holiday, so Sunday might be a little busy, but I'm hoping what I have planned is a little out of the way of the tourists. I'd like it if you all would take a look at our itinerary and let me know if there are any huge glaring issues.

Saturday:

- Arrive at Haneda around 21:00.

- Take out cash, buy/load up Suica card, get on Tokyo monorail and transfer to JR line and ride to Sugamo station. 8 minute walk to AirBnB, hopefully be in bed no later than 01:00 Sunday.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday:

- Early Morning: Wake up/get ready and grab breakfast from nearby konbini and head over to Ueno Station to check out Ueno park. Hopefully be at the park before 10:00.

- Morning/Early Afternoon: Afterwards, head to Nezu Shrine, then Sendagai (there's a cute candy shop my wife wants to visit) and then over to Yanaka Ginza for some lunch. Hope to be done here no later than 15:00.

- Afternoon/Evening: From there, head to Nippori Station and ride to Ikebukuro to spend some time at Sunshine City, visit Mandarake and Otome Road in the afternoon/early evening. Any recommendations for a spot to eat in the area would be welcome!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday:

- Morning: Wake up around 07:00 and head to Shinjuku station for coffee/breakfast. From there, head to the Tokyo Metropolitan Building's observation deck . From there, head over to Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden. Then head over to Fuunji for a ramen lunch. Hope to be done here by 12 or 13:00.

- Afternoon: Mikado arcade, and then Nakano Broadway for video games/anime shopping. Done by 17/18:00.

- Evening: Kagurazaka for more food. Done by 19/20:00.

- Night: Time permitting, my buddy really wants to head to GODZ bar, a metal bar in Shinjuku. Can't stay too long because...

Tuesday:

DisneySea! We plan to wake up around 5:45/6:00 to be able to be outside the gates before 8:00 when they open. No restaurants planned, just gonna enjoy the carts for food. Any recommendations? What's the best way to get to see Big Band Beat?

If we finish early (no plans to stay for Fantasmic) we might head to somewhere like Jiyugaoka or Jujo Ginza that we might not be able to fit in otherwise.

Wednesday:

- Morning: Wake up around 6:00 to be able to grab breakfast and head to the Imperial Palace for the 10:00 tour. We know you need to arrive at 9:00 to line up for tickets. Maybe hit up Uniqlo Ginza since it's supposed to be the flagship store. Done by 13:00.

- Afternoon: Explore Tokyo Station and get some ramen for lunch. Afterwards, head to Akihabara, but we're going to try to take it slow and not tire ourselves out. Dinner will be at Gyukatsu Ichi Ni San nearby. Hoping to be done by 17/18:00.

- Evening: Asakusa/Kamanarimon/Sensoji/Nakamise street - We obviously want to see Sensoji, but hear it is always packed, except at night. We also heard it's beautiful at night, so this seems like a good way to see it. We want to hit up some of the side streets leading up to the temple for some desserts.

Thursday:

- Morning: Head to Starbucks near Shibuya Station to see Hachiko and Scramble Crossing. Again, I hope to be awake around 6:00 to be able to be here around 7:00. After, head to Yoyogi Park and Meiji Jingu. From there, walk over to Harajuku for a little while. Hoping to have all of this done by 12:00-ish.

- Afternoon: Head to Shimokitazawa. Hoping to wrap up this area by 15:00-ish and then head to Nakameguro for more food. Hoping to have Nakameguro wrapped up by 18:00 so we can head back to central Shibuya for sushi at Sushi Katsu Midori.

Friday:

- Morning: Odaiba for TeamLABS Borderless.

- Afternoon/Evening: At this point, we're either planning to check out more of Odaiba or leave the rest of the afternoon free for some of the things lower on our priority list/stuff we didn't get to/stuff we want to see again and some souvenir/gift shopping. Though, I am open to suggestions.

Saturday: Fly home from Haneda in the morning.

Any red flags?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

^^^ Looks decent, but I would say move all your major shrine visits to the morning as soon as they open if your schedule is flexible enough to be at certain areas at that time. Especially Meiji Jingu. If you go early in the morning you can literally be like one of four people there. An hour or so in it starts to fill with tourists. If that's not an issue then don't worry about it, but I really enjoyed the quiet and serenity of Meiji Jingu in the early morning. It also made for great photos, not having to shoot around tourists.

Not sure if this was posted yet but:

If you have a recent NFC iPhone, there's a "suicaeng" app now for non-japanese speakers. You can provision a card and load it without having to use a kiosk or teller etc.

Super convenient. The difference between reloading my card at train stations or konbinis and just hitting "add money" on my mobile phone was like night and day and saved me from a big pile of change.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/suicaeng/id1304852119

I presume the same exists for Suica-compatible Android but I don't swim in that lake so I can't say for sure.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Martytoof posted:

^^^ Looks decent, but I would say move all your major shrine visits to the morning as soon as they open if your schedule is flexible enough to be at certain areas at that time. Especially Meiji Jingu. If you go early in the morning you can literally be like one of four people there. An hour or so in it starts to fill with tourists. If that's not an issue then don't worry about it, but I really enjoyed the quiet and serenity of Meiji Jingu in the early morning. It also made for great photos, not having to shoot around tourists.

Not sure if this was posted yet but:

If you have a recent NFC iPhone, there's a "suicaeng" app now for non-japanese speakers. You can provision a card and load it without having to use a kiosk or teller etc.

Super convenient. The difference between reloading my card at train stations or konbinis and just hitting "add money" on my mobile phone was like night and day and saved me from a big pile of change.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/suicaeng/id1304852119

I presume the same exists for Suica-compatible Android but I don't swim in that lake so I can't say for sure.

That's super good advice, thanks!

And with that app, I can add cash in USD and it'll automatically convert it to JPY at the normal conversion rate? Do you know if there's a foreign transaction fee for it?