Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Van Vleuten going for the kill with 104 km to go, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Van Vleuten going for the kill with 104 km to go, lol

The race is down to the 10 best riders in the world with 102km still to go.

It's going to be an absolute bloodbath tomorrow.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/1177926227983765504

The UCI released the footage that got him DQ'd. Pretty obvious when you see this really.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol at tomorrow's weather forecast :getin:

Does cycling have any boring rules about lightning?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Bicycle tyres are rubber my friend. We might not get any footage but they will make them ride.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

peanut- posted:

One time at the Tour of Poland a thunderstorm crashed a tree onto the road and they didn't even neutralize the race

Also, it looks like a couple of people in the chasing group stopped working. Really interesting situation right now

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bit of impromptu cyclo-cross, too. This race has it all

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

One time at the Tour of Poland a thunderstorm crashed a tree onto the road and they didn't even neutralize the race

Also, it looks like a couple of people in the chasing group stopped working. Really interesting situation right now

Germany have decided that they cant trust the lass up the road so they're bringing the peloton back now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Germany have decided that they cant trust the lass up the road so they're bringing the peloton back now.

I think Germany have been chasing since the split, though. And the gap between van Vleuten and the peloton doesn't really shrink all that much anymore, it's more like the chasing group is dropping back. I think Germany told Koppenburg to not take any turns anymore, which together with van der Breggen and Longo Borghini effectively reduces the group to 5 riders

I think. It'd be nice to see the front of the peloton more often and also to get non-UCI time gaps

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You know what im all in on Van Vluten doing a full on Gilbert here now. They arent chasing her anymore really.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She can do it, it's only a gentle ride around the dales.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Welp there we go, Deignan has had it with this group

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The national teams all seem pretty soft.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The peloton just doesn't seem to be doing anything despite trying. It's not a flat course, but you'd think they should still be able to chew through seconds on this terrain if they're working.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

The peloton just doesn't seem to be doing anything despite trying. It's not a flat course, but you'd think they should still be able to chew through seconds on this terrain if they're working.

I dont think they have the strength, which is absurd given that the chase group has been out on their own for 50km all working, never mind Van Vluten.

Wheres Belgium, wheres France? Canada? Is this like the 2012 road race where they refuse to even try because its highly likely that they wont win?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think Deignan and Borgini might sit up when the peloton gets a bit closer because they're clearly not going to chase Van Vluten down with the two of them and the others dont want to do anything.

Nevermind, the peloton have given up too.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
All the gaps went up 20 seconds over the commercial break wtf

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah the peloton has sat up

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It does seem, depressingly, like it's still van Vleuten >> the chase >>> the rest

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress it, Van Vluten deserves this because of the absolute gently caress up that has been the chase. They have no idea what to do without radios.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Weird race this, Van Vleuten's gonna stay away because competitive cyclists are congenitally incapable of not loving around

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Not a single person in that chase group could chase down Van Vluten on their own so they should get their teams on the front and swamp everything up and trust a sprint at the end.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The peloton does not shut down a 4 minute gap on this course now. I think Van Vluten has this.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

*5 minute gap lmao

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They're racing for 2nd place lmao.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress it why the gently caress not. Go for a single person chase for 36km the rest of the riders here are utter shithouse.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Chloe can do this

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whats that lizzy, on your own? If only you'd not told your team to give up 20kms ago.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

RIP Lizzie, thought of attacking and died

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We'll cut back to the peloton soon and see everyone from GB suddenly on the front.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Tbh I'm choosing to interpret the removal of the peloton time gap to mean that the organizers told everyone in there to gently caress off back home

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They stopped at the tea rooms for a slice of cake.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Tbh I'm choosing to interpret the removal of the peloton time gap to mean that the organizers told everyone in there to gently caress off back home

They just said 4 minutes to the peloton, but surely most have pulled over and given up by now.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
ah yes the Oak Beck Housing Development Attack, classic

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

They stopped at the tea rooms for a slice of cake.

Theres a good tea room at the garden centre at the top of that climb tbf.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This little subgroup of three who are riding for third is a bit sad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Under 2 minutes!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You know what Kirby salivating over Chloe Dygert all day was frankly stomach turning but whatever shes very very good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She's shedding seconds now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Van Vluten making a case for the time trial to be 100km not 30.