Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I really don't think the "oh, so you think ALL conversations with foreign leaders are bad????" talking point has legs. It's ridiculously easy to refute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The savages :laffo:

Idiots! Savages! Idiots! IDIOTS!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I really don't think the "oh, so you think ALL conversations with foreign leaders are bad????" talking point has legs. It's ridiculously easy to refute.

But the Times or the WaPo specifically said he told the Russians he wasn't bothered by their election meddling in that conversation

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Shower thought: this transcript has to have a codename if it's in the server right? That's means:

a.) It's gonna be a memorable codename that will get blasted all over the airwaves, making it stick in people's minds, and
2.) What's the most ridiculous name it could be?

Clownfart

I mean...why not?

tek79 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 28, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
To be fair, if Trump gets removed from office, that is savage as gently caress. Perhaps the most savage act in American political history.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Charlz Guybon posted:

But the Times or the WaPo specifically said he told the Russians he wasn't bothered by their election meddling in that conversation

At this point his Twitter account just exists like a megaphone to amplify his crimes.

Definitely don’t look into that Russian phone call! General McMaster said it was a perfect call. Remember the exact time and day, I dooooo

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mahoning posted:

To be fair, if Trump gets removed from office, that is savage as gently caress. Perhaps the most savage act in American political history.

Lincoln and JFK disagree.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ManBoyChef posted:

He probably cant even remember what AOC stands for.

he can't it's why he always just calls her cortez and acts like he can't be bothered to say her whole name.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1177939191629586432

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I think they got the marching orders.

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1177676723594227712
https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1177739588250427392

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

osker posted:

If we are picking for funsies I'm going to say code word "Perfect Phonecall" which they lovingly abbreviate to PP

"Perfect Cellphone" works better if you say it out loud.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

So, do I have this correct? Papa is saying Barr is (or should) going around to foreign countries to dig up dirt.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jesus christ, "savages?"

Really breaking out the Nazi foghorn now

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

pkay posted:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I think they got the marching orders.

Magugu posted:

So, do I have this correct? Papa is saying Barr is (or should) going around to foreign countries to dig up dirt.

c'mon y'all, george is an idiot and on a 24/7 alt-right international-conspiracy-against-donald-trump grift as his main funding source these days

don't give the dude publicity, he's just trying to say something related to this scandal to get clicks

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

Is it just the front page? They can’t possibly be archiving the forums.

It depends on if the forums were open or not. The snapshots I've checked were from when you needed an account, so they only capture the login page. But there is nothing technical stopping them from crawling the entire forum. They use the same software as the Internet Archive. There's a decent chance a subset of waffleimages are saved in a web archive.

Edit: The earliest forum snapshot I see in the LC collection is from 2008. https://webarchive.loc.gov/all/20080709135528/http://forums.somethingawful.com/

Internet Archive has one from 2001.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010217172551/http://forums.somethingawful.com/

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 28, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Magugu posted:

Yeah, that's a... uh, explosive tweet if accurate. But no way Papa is still in the loop, right?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PT6A posted:

Calling your wife "mother" is still creepy af even if you're around a bunch of conservative dinosaurs I guess.

Is this guy the real-life Bud Manstrong or what?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

c'mon y'all, george is an idiot and on a 24/7 alt-right international-conspiracy-against-donald-trump grift as his main funding source these days

don't give the dude publicity, he's just trying to say something related to this scandal to get clicks

I can't believe that absolute loving idiot is still trying this poo poo

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, that's a... uh, explosive tweet if accurate. But no way Papa is still in the loop, right?

What does your heart tell you?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Tibalt posted:

He's been doing "Oh, its ALL coming out soon" for a couple years at this point

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

While I know we're dying of thirst out here, we need to be absolutely clear in that we are not going to get the actual full phone transcripts/recordings a second before they are at least fully declassified and sent to Congress. Grim would be putting himself in the direst of peril if he even intimated that he had access to the records at this point in time (which is what the White House was generally counting on, not realizing that whistleblowers can easily point out the existence of such records and Congresspersons can demand said records at any time, for any reason). It'll be a while before we know more of the Saudi calls beyond second-hand accusations.

So after Congress demands the records... then what? They demand them again?

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
“bout the get the Clinton’s/Obama/Kerry with this one simple trick” when has any of this ever had any validity? It’s always down some deeper rabbit hole of conspiracy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Magugu posted:

"We've got you right where we wanted you!!"

Guze posted:

yeah now it's probably true though, just not the way he'd like it to be

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Guze posted:

at any moment our right-wing heroes will find Mifsud (who is actually a CIA agent that they're hiding from us because they don't want to know that the entire russiagate scandal was manufactured by the CIA) and all the dirty secrets of the obama treason conspiracy will be revealed!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why would he do that?

Did he just assume that Trump would edit out the crimes? Or was this him throwing Trump under the bus?

https://mobile.twitter.com/WordswithSteph/status/1177771035170607104

I kind of think it's a fool's game to guess at Republican strategy at this point.

It's possible that Mitch wanted to throw Trump under the bus. It's also possible that he intends to force his caucus to vote against removal no matter what and he's hoping that he can use the argument that everything is transparent and above board. The Republican response, such as it is right now, seems to be focused on saying that the transcript proves nothing and nothing bad happened. I wouldn't underestimate the willingness of the GOP to just make up the reality that they want.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Stop quoting the coffee boy please

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love how they keep playing up the importance of Mifsud when literally nobody remembers or cares who that is.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

As a pure aside: is it meant to be Zelensky, Zelenskiy or Zelenskyy? Wikipedia tells me it's officially Zelenskyy and I know Ukrainian romanization is a bit different from Russian, but I don't know much on the subject and am curious.

IIRC Zelensky is the official spelling he settled on after some inconsistency. Zelenskyy is how one would transliterate it phonetically, but it's kind of messy because the two Ys are denoting different sounds (the Wikipedia IPA of [woloˈdɪmɪr olekˈsɑndrowɪtʃ zeˈlɛnsʲkɪj] is correct; the Russian version would end with [ij] rather than [Ij] (and also be Vladimir rather than Volodymyr).

Edit: Ukrainian Cyrillic: и is [I], i is [i]; Russian Cyrillic: и is [i] and there is no i. Words are often spelled with и in both languages and correspondingly pronounced differently.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 28, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mcconnell's the smartest republican by a mile but that doesn't mean he can't also be a moron.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gort posted:

This looks like the unhinged rantings you might find in a dictator's notebook when the good guys finally break down the door to his bunker
THE ASENSION' OF THE ORDINARY MAN

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

It's possible that Mitch wanted to throw Trump under the bus. It's also possible that he intends to force his caucus to vote against removal no matter what and he's hoping that he can use the argument that everything is transparent and above board. The Republican response, such as it is right now, seems to be focused on saying that the transcript proves nothing and nothing bad happened. I wouldn't underestimate the willingness of the GOP to just make up the reality that they want.

Either way, how long till Trump starts lashing out at him for it. "All RINO McConnell's doing, collaborating with whistleblower! Treason?"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of think it's a fool's game to guess at Republican strategy at this point.

I think tossing trump may be the singular thing that may threaten Mitch's re-election. He's practicing rare decorum, but I can't believe he'd do anything but try to sabotage an impeachment trial.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
What is that tweet to the effect of, "a science fiction plot where the leader's descent into madness is largely ignored yet everyone knows it's happening because his thoughts are transmitted to a device in their pockets"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

Trump was always meant to be the distraction for Mitch and his side to get away with getting more tax cuts and relax laws for corps.
This was working well for the first year or so.
Now that there is heat on Mitch for his Russian connections, he is trying to get Trump to be more of the distraction by getting him to release the poo poo.

Mitch would vote to oust Trump in a millisecond if it protected his lot in the senate.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also could there be the chance he didn’t think it would be this bad? Like Trump told him the tape was totally okay, so he figured to release it to show it was nothin, when it really wasn’t.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pinecone Sample posted:

What is that tweet to the effect of, "a science fiction plot where the leader's descent into madness is largely ignored yet everyone knows it's happening because his thoughts are transmitted to a device in their pockets"

Oh, you also read Warhammer 40k?

Also, this was loving depressing to wake up and read

Trailblazing Sikh Texas cop murdered during traffic stop

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Want to see that legislation

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1177945619719045121

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FilthyImp posted:

Oh, you also read Warhammer 40k?

Also, this was loving depressing to wake up and read

Trailblazing Sikh Texas cop murdered during traffic stop

Yeah, I was hatebrowsing foxnews.com and it was on the front page when all the other news sites were all wall-to-wall impeachment. I can’t wait till it turns out the shooter was apprehended in a cloud of nazi tattoos and Fox memory-holes it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cool. Let's see the details before the election, Chuck.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

bobjr posted:

Also could there be the chance he didn’t think it would be this bad? Like Trump told him the tape was totally okay, so he figured to release it to show it was nothin, when it really wasn’t.

“Well if he thinks it’s not too bad to release then I’m sure it’s nothing. I know he’s a barely functioning toddler-vegetable but surely he can’t be...THAT dumb?”

And he was.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

https://twitter.com/MikeSacksEsq/status/1177780915197677568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Cool. Let's see the details before the election, Chuck.

i mean, it's the green new deal, as that is the only thing they will have any choice to pass in the scenario where the dems win the senate (because they'll sure as hell win the house there). and also because, unlike other good legislation that the bad senate dems will legitimately oppose (m4a lol), the green new deal is going to be an absolutely massive spending/infrastructure project that will have goodies for everyone and create lots of jobs, so it's probably more likely overall they don't gently caress us on this.

but right now the GND exists in the form of some resolutions recognizing the need for a green new deal, and isn't actually fully written as a spending bil;l

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 28, 2019