Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah I was wondering if Netflix paid 100 million for a movie made in 1920

Wouldn't even be the stupidest thing to happen in the last week.

Is the silent bailout still going on? Banks insolvent receiving literally hundreds of billions of dollars for free in the last week? Speedrun of '08 in a month's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

So it's just a lovely version of VR chat? And your avatar has to be some generic looking cartoony human with no legs? Cause in VR chat you can be a 90 foot tall Hank Hill in a pink dress that shits out little Bobby Hill heads and that's been around for like half a decade now.

Your description just made think that the future isn't quite so bad after all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

im depressed lol posted:

netflix paid 100 million for the plot of a koth episode

What

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
i guess i misread 'professional getting fired person' and thought it was like this king of the hill episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wj0zZdU6fE

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what's everyone's favorite king of the hill episode

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Honestly the pilot

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the one where peggy fell out of an airplane

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shear Modulus posted:

The one where Hank says there's something not quite right about that boy

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
https://twitter.com/JoshSeim/status/1177402278895992834?s=19

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That seems like a great use of a teacher's time and attention

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I want to ban everyone who conceived or worked on that app from ever again getting near either computers or children.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it was designed by someone who hates chyilddren much like teachers

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shear Modulus posted:

The one where Bobby gets a job selling refreshments at the Nascar track and Hank says he's gonna kick the guys rear end. It always kills me how he literally only kicks the guy in the rear end, repeatedly

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

That's from a site called ClassDojo. It's very popular amount K-8 teachers and is normally used for things like forming groups, selecting students for cold calling, or tracking participation in class. By default it only has positive points which are basically just citizenship type stuff like participating in class, or helping others. So this teacher manually created all these negative categories as a way of, apparently, tracking the unwanted behaviors of their students.

Probably the most dystopian aspect of it is that most of the kids REALLY like ClassDojo. The gamifications of social interactions into a point system that their avatar gains scratches many of the same itches that unlocking things in video games does. Gaining a point in ClassDojo comes with an RPG leveling-up type sound effect, along with of course the power of Number Going Up which most people seem susceptible to.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the one where bobby goes from propane hero to nobody pitchman at the mall was a pretty profound allegory for the big fish/small pond

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The one where they go church shopping and go to the megachurch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Class Warcraft posted:

That's from a site called ClassDojo. It's very popular amount K-8 teachers and is normally used for things like forming groups, selecting students for cold calling, or tracking participation in class. By default it only has positive points which are basically just citizenship type stuff like participating in class, or helping others. So this teacher manually created all these negative categories as a way of, apparently, tracking the unwanted behaviors of their students.

Probably the most dystopian aspect of it is that most of the kids REALLY like ClassDojo. The gamifications of social interactions into a point system that their avatar gains scratches many of the same itches that unlocking things in video games does. Gaining a point in ClassDojo comes with an RPG leveling-up type sound effect, along with of course the power of Number Going Up which most people seem susceptible to.

I mean points systems have been a thing for like forever. the only real difference here is it’s online

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean points systems have been a thing for like forever. the only real difference here is it’s online
it wouldnt be evil if only the kids and teacher could see it but you can totally imagine schools and parents using it for micromanaging

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Farm Frenzy posted:

it wouldnt be evil if only the kids and teacher could see it but you can totally imagines schools and parents using it for micromanaging

oh yeah but treating it like it’s some new gamification of interaction is silly. points systems just use the the basic idea that rewarding good behavior enforces it which might be as old as school.

putting the kid on blast online is hilariously lovely tho

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Teachers have been using merits/demerits/points for behavior reward/punishment for a long time. The house points in Harry Potter isn't something Rowling came up with.

But then you get kids who play the system. I can be this obnoxious before consequences. Or, already getting detention, watch how many demerits I can get.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Gamifying anything is inhumane. It all belongs to the person in power who want to control the poor ones who are their subjects.

poo poo should be illegal on grounds of basic decency, if not human rights or equality. And yes, this includes children as well god damnit!

Fake edit: let games be games. You can punish bullies with better means than controlling everyone with rules and the incessant rules-lawyering that follows. Like gently caress-a-duck this pushes all my buttons labelled "no rulers, no masters"!

ThisIsJohnWayne has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Sep 28, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Gamifying anything is inhumane. It all belongs to the person in power who want to control the poor ones who are their subjects.

poo poo should be illegal on grounds of basic decency, if not human rights or equality. And yes, this includes children as well god damnit!

Fake edit: let games be games. You can punish bullies with better means than controlling everyone with rules and the incessant rules-lawyering that follows. Like gently caress-a-duck this pushes all my buttons labelled "no rulers, no masters"!

this is loving insane

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

when its at the level of just giving kids gold stars i dont see how its any different from all the other completely arbitrary bullshit kids have to do at school

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

like if kids enjoy and the only people who actually care are middle aged dudes I think you have a problem

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Given just how lovely school is from the perspective of an adult honestly adding one more indignity to the whole experience is just a drop in the ocean. I'm sure some things that were lovely when I was in grade school aren't done anymore and horrible new ones have shown up but it all comes out in the wash. Lest we forget there's the constant threat of being mown down by machine gun fire, I'm not sure the attention marble app is the worst thing about school these days.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/InternetPalace/status/1177823565707726848?s=19

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Class Warcraft posted:

Wow. If I had a kid and the teacher made them feel bad about using the bathroom I would file so many emotional distress lawsuits that I would be censured as a vexation litigant. That is failing some basic human decency tests.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

like if kids enjoy and the only people who actually care are middle aged dudes I think you have a problem

Hey fellow middle aged dude, guess four times what I thought about the rules and the bullshit at the time I was a child in school. I cared then, and surprisingly I have the same unchsnged opinion decades later. School should be free from this.
Add to that, I went to school in Scandinavia and possibly had a much less restrictive environment than you had. It was still enough for me to disagree with.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I am Tartuffe, the Spry Wonder-Dog

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Given just how lovely school is from the perspective of an adult honestly adding one more indignity to the whole experience is just a drop in the ocean. I'm sure some things that were lovely when I was in grade school aren't done anymore and horrible new ones have shown up but it all comes out in the wash. Lest we forget there's the constant threat of being mown down by machine gun fire, I'm not sure the attention marble app is the worst thing about school these days.

This, but imagine a child not liking or wanting to accept the indignities. Plus, school shootings... how to even begin? The US is not like other school systems.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hey fellow middle aged dude, guess four times what I thought about the rules and the bullshit at the time I was a child in school. I cared then, and surprisingly I have the same unchsnged opinion decades later. School should be free from this.
Add to that, I went to school in Scandinavia and possibly had a much less restrictive environment than you had. It was still enough for me to disagree with.

ah your that guy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
what the gently caress I went to school in tortured hellscape of america and we didn't do that poo poo. loving fascist euros spreading their garbage over here gently caress off.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Tubgoat posted:

Wouldn't even be the stupidest thing to happen in the last week.

Is the silent bailout still going on? Banks insolvent receiving literally hundreds of billions of dollars for free in the last week? Speedrun of '08 in a month's time.

technically they’re loans that are paid back the next day. normally the banks would give each other these loans, but they’re having liquidity problems for some reason? :thunk: no no don’t draw comparisons to 2009, I’m sure there will never be a day when the banks take a 100 billion loan and then can’t pay it back

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

cool, demerits for using the loving bathroom

preparing the youth of today for the jobs of tomorrow where you have to piss in an empty coke bottle to avoid getting fired

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

One thing to keep in mind when you’re comparing your school experience to today is that almost everyone on this forum was raised in an era before smart phones existed.

Meanwhile the kids in school now cannot remember a time that they didn’t have 24/7 hour access to them and their addiction to them would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad. I watched a teenager yesterday have a complete meltdown after his phone was confiscated by the principal, complete with bawling, screaming, and punching the ground.

Almost all these micromanagey type bullshit things are an attempt to keep kids away from their phones because if given the choice they will do absolutely nothing but sit on them all day, spurning human interaction.

The bathroom thing probably spawned from kids disappearing into the bathroom for large chunks of time to use their phone. In my classroom I have everyone place their phone in a little holder thing where they stay until the end of class. Before I implemented this policy almost every kid would leave to go to the restroom at some point during our 45 minute period (I don’t restrict using the restroom). once they couldn’t take their phones with them almost no one goes anymore.

When I was entering teaching I had lots of strong feelings about how classrooms should be run based on my own experience of being treated like a prisoner when I was in school. Having been in the profession for a bit now I’ve realized how difficult changing the overall culture can be. By the time the kids come to me they’ve spent years in overcrowded classrooms being treated like a prisoner and that is a hard mentality to overcome

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

One thing to keep in mind when you’re comparing your school experience to today is that almost everyone on this forum was raised in an era before smart phones existed.

Meanwhile the kids in school now cannot remember a time that they didn’t have 24/7 hour access to them and their addiction to them would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad. I watched a teenager yesterday have a complete meltdown after his phone was confiscated by the principal, complete with bawling, screaming, and punching the ground.

Almost all these micromanagey type bullshit things are an attempt to keep kids away from their phones because if given the choice they will do absolutely nothing but sit on them all day, spurning human interaction.

The bathroom thing probably spawned from kids disappearing into the bathroom for large chunks of time to use their phone. In my classroom I have everyone place their phone in a little holder thing where they stay until the end of class. Before I implemented this policy almost every kid would leave to go to the restroom at some point during our 45 minute period (I don’t restrict using the restroom). once they couldn’t take their phones with them almost no one goes anymore.

When I was entering teaching I had lots of strong feelings about how classrooms should be run based on my own experience of being treated like a prisoner when I was in school. Having been in the profession for a bit now I’ve realized how difficult changing the overall culture can be. By the time the kids come to me they’ve spent years in overcrowded classrooms being treated like a prisoner and that is a hard mentality to overcome

Now this I respect. Thanks for the insights Warcraft, thought provoking.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shear Modulus posted:

that's my purse!
i don't know you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1178118526109769728