Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Well, the time has finally come. Probably the only thing I'll miss about Great Lakes is not having to polish my brown boots. Plus the tongue was padded, not just a strip of leather. So what's the current hotness for black boots? The recommendation from the most recent black boot purchaser I've talked to is Belleville's 800ST Flight Deck boot.

Those boots are legit as gently caress. Can confirm I burned up a couple pairs of those while I was on the ship but my feet were comfortable and un-blistered. The gore-tex definitely helps cushion your foot and ankle and protects it from just having unfinished leather against it (boot socks really don't protect your feet against that poo poo), and they're supposedly warmer than uninsulated boots (but you won't notice honestly, cold is cold)

I dont know whether your command requires black boots though so 🤷‍♂️

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
A friend saw this on a lamppost in Queens today, thought the thread would enjoy it:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Reminds me of https://youtu.be/jhioeOeOHsA

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Do you already know for a fact your next command requires black boots?

Yup, confirmed by my upcoming chief.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why does the Navy require multiple different work boots? Shouldn't there be one standard to simplify wartime logistics?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

Why does the Navy require multiple different work boots? Shouldn't there be one standard to simplify wartime logistics?

You’re talking about an organization that has distinct “working uniforms” and “coveralls”.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yup, confirmed by my upcoming chief.

What a dick. The yards don’t even care.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

Well its black steel toe for the standard. But you can have the alternative rough outs in both black or tan but not dubbed like the old style would have been.

Also the command can say non-steel toe is ok if it’s a not a safety issue. So I wore non steel toe tan rough outs Bellviews at the USNO that were basically weightless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shipboard cannot wear non-steel toe and have less flexible boot alternatives than shore commands.

Prior to NWUs, so long as your boot was solid black and sleel toe, it didn’t matter as much. My first captain had steel toe black slippers.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Yeah you only get to wear all leather black on a boat. You should totally get FD boots.

I'm on shore about six months out of the year so I bought a pair of belleville 330s in coyote so the aviation community can't bitch about hypothetical fod. They're much cooler, softer, flexible and lighter.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

CMD598 posted:

Yeah you only get to wear all leather black on a boat. You should totally get FD boots.

I'm on shore about six months out of the year so I bought a pair of belleville 330s in coyote so the aviation community can't bitch about hypothetical fod. They're much cooler, softer, flexible and lighter.

Probably 80% of my boat wears brown boots.

About 50% of the people with black boots only have black because they are still in blue NWUs.

I had no idea "mandatory black boots" was even a thing. Why would a command do that. Brown is an authorized alternative uniform item.

Mine have a composite toe so they are light while still being authorized for ordnance handling.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

Probably 80% of my boat wears brown boots.

About 50% of the people with black boots only have black because they are still in blue NWUs.

I had no idea "mandatory black boots" was even a thing. Why would a command do that. Brown is an authorized alternative uniform item.

Mine have a composite toe so they are light while still being authorized for ordnance handling.

SWOs wear blackshoes. Aviators wear brown ones. Senior officers/enlisted get real touchy about wearing the right color shoes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think he’s describing boot color for NWU which is most certainly not divided by community. The carrier and submarine crews in port wear mostly coyote colored boots. Would appear these days only Boots wear black boots.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know. I’m explaining why, in part, ships were hardcore about black boots even prior to NWUs existing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Someone on their staff did a little research

($419.40 * 12) / 52
$96.78

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

http://cimsec.org/the-navy-reserve-is-broken/41665

Good to see someone writing what we already knew

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

http://cimsec.org/the-navy-reserve-is-broken/41665

Good to see someone writing what we already knew

Concerning.

Not surprising from experience.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Concerning.

Not surprising from experience.

I am seriously considering peacing out next year when my contract is up. After all the administrative issues with ECRC and NOSCs post MOB a few years ago, I'm not close enough to retirement to just power through to a Good 20. It sucks since I enjoy parts of my job and helping out Sailors but the FTS NOSC members are just universally garbage

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am seriously considering peacing out next year when my contract is up. After all the administrative issues with ECRC and NOSCs post MOB a few years ago, I'm not close enough to retirement to just power through to a Good 20. It sucks since I enjoy parts of my job and helping out Sailors but the FTS NOSC members are just universally garbage

I’m gonna have to sign a new contract since my mob is a month longer than my current one. Honestly I’ll just power through it. If poo poo happens though it will suck but I’ll survive.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m gonna have to sign a new contract since my mob is a month longer than my current one. Honestly I’ll just power through it. If poo poo happens though it will suck but I’ll survive.

You can always extend, dont make them make you sign a new contract if you don't want to Crabman

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

You can always extend, dont make them make you sign a new contract if you don't want to Crabman

I know this is strange but I actually like the reserves mostly because I didn’t serve in active from what I can tell.

Also I don’t want to leave my GI bill on the table and I need to serve another six years after earning it with this mob to transfer it to my kids.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If I had the charmed reserve existence crabman has had I'd probably stick around too. At least one of us has had a good time, aside from that whole issue of them owing you thousands of dollars which I hope got settled.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

If I had the charmed reserve existence crabman has had I'd probably stick around too. At least one of us has had a good time, aside from that whole issue of them owing you thousands of dollars which I hope got settled.

Oh no of course not but then again even on orders begging for work I mostly sat around stress free.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You've had a seriously easy time of it.

If your time had been anything like mine you would have peaced the gently caress out like I did, even with a max bonus for a reup.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

What do you guys do for healthcare after peacing out entirely? $210/mo family Tricare coverage is literally the singular reason I still pretend I'm in the Navy for 38 days a year.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I got a job with good healthcare. I imagine options will differ based on what your rate was and your prospects at civilian employment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, that's pretty much the best option unless you're independently wealthy.

Hell, I've got really good insurance and I got dinged for ~$3k yesterday.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Part of the answer would also depend on how many people you have, what your income level is, etc.... I would imagine you are working now, aside from the reserves? Does your employment offer any healthcare coverage? I imagine you elected against it, if you are going tri-care. If you are in relatively good health and your occupation offers a Health Savings Account that is probably a better option. Give us a few more specifics/details of the situation and perhaps we can figure out some advice that would fit your situation?

That being said, there are really only a few options; utilize what is provided, if any, by your employer, utilize a subsidized public program, the cost of which would be income dependant, or utilize Tri-Care here. I mean, I guess you could go without, but please don't consider that a viable option.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Tricare is the only reason I have anything to do with the military anymore. I'll be transferring back to the reserves next October, this command has broken my will to push on. I'll ride the reserve train to 20.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thronde posted:

I'll ride the reserve train to 20.

You say that now ... Best of luck to you

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Tricare isn't terrible but I'm not a huge fan of driving 45 minutes one-way every time I need to see my doctor.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Part of the answer would also depend on how many people you have, what your income level is, etc.... I would imagine you are working now, aside from the reserves? Does your employment offer any healthcare coverage? I imagine you elected against it, if you are going tri-care. If you are in relatively good health and your occupation offers a Health Savings Account that is probably a better option. Give us a few more specifics/details of the situation and perhaps we can figure out some advice that would fit your situation?
I'm not working now, wife is and her employer's insurance is like 3x the premium for less coverage. I'm graduating in the spring with a CS bachelor's, so hopefully on the upper end of the employability spectrum. I'm in good health, wife has chronic issues and we have a kid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

Tricare isn't terrible but I'm not a huge fan of driving 45 minutes one-way every time I need to see my doctor.

What's worse is hearing "Well this year you've paid $8 towards your deductible, and also we charge up front so your total today is :suicide: "

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gray Matter posted:

What do you guys do for healthcare after peacing out entirely? $210/mo family Tricare coverage is literally the singular reason I still pretend I'm in the Navy for 38 days a year.

My wifes plan via working for Kaiser covers me. I am extremely fortunate for this.

They raised the visit cost from $5 to $20 a few years ago tho. :(

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Hey so quick plug for a knowledge resource. MIT puts alot of their coursework online at ocw.mit.edu so even though you don’t necessarily have a mechanism to get credit, you can get alot of useful knowledge. Anecdotally I had some sailors I reached out to and recommended them read up on a couple courses related to work they were trying to do after they got out. Later heard back from them that they attributed their slam dunk interviews to alot of the material they studied on the site.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

I'm not working now, wife is and her employer's insurance is like 3x the premium for less coverage. I'm graduating in the spring with a CS bachelor's, so hopefully on the upper end of the employability spectrum. I'm in good health, wife has chronic issues and we have a kid.

I would imagine in that case that you can probably end up with a job with fairly good insurance once you graduate. Especially if you are in the right area for it, like Seattle, Austin, Silicon Valley, NYC, Pittsburgh, Omaha, or are willing to move to such locations for work.

Due to chronic illness I would advise not utilizing a health savings plan, as the odds of ever making an appreciable savings for that are likely non existent. With a chronic illness I would look at a plans maximum out of pocket cost per individual and family, and the deductible, because I would assume you will hit that every year. Does tri-care outside of active duty work like active duty, just with a monthly rate? Is it like you pay the 210/month and then have unlimited utilization?

Were you a Nuke or another rate? The reason I ask is if you have an industrial background like Nuke/Engineering then data centers are an option that opens up, and a lot of the data centers could use people with the technical background and the computer science knowledge to help build out specific internal systems for operating data centers. Data centers also have the unique advantage of being associated with the glamorous tech companies, but in more varied locations. For example, if you wanted to work for Google/Facebook but live in Oregon, then the data centers are a real good option.

If you (or anyone else in this thread) wants more information on data center work or applying for them let me know and I can assist with that.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Hey so quick plug for a knowledge resource. MIT puts alot of their coursework online at ocw.mit.edu so even though you don’t necessarily have a mechanism to get credit, you can get alot of useful knowledge. Anecdotally I had some sailors I reached out to and recommended them read up on a couple courses related to work they were trying to do after they got out. Later heard back from them that they attributed their slam dunk interviews to alot of the material they studied on the site.

Appreciate ya homie

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would imagine in that case that you can probably end up with a job with fairly good insurance once you graduate. Especially if you are in the right area for it, like Seattle, Austin, Silicon Valley, NYC, Pittsburgh, Omaha, or are willing to move to such locations for work.

Due to chronic illness I would advise not utilizing a health savings plan, as the odds of ever making an appreciable savings for that are likely non existent. With a chronic illness I would look at a plans maximum out of pocket cost per individual and family, and the deductible, because I would assume you will hit that every year. Does tri-care outside of active duty work like active duty, just with a monthly rate? Is it like you pay the 210/month and then have unlimited utilization?

Were you a Nuke or another rate? The reason I ask is if you have an industrial background like Nuke/Engineering then data centers are an option that opens up, and a lot of the data centers could use people with the technical background and the computer science knowledge to help build out specific internal systems for operating data centers. Data centers also have the unique advantage of being associated with the glamorous tech companies, but in more varied locations. For example, if you wanted to work for Google/Facebook but live in Oregon, then the data centers are a real good option.

If you (or anyone else in this thread) wants more information on data center work or applying for them let me know and I can assist with that.

Aren’t there still a decent amount of data centers being added in TX? I only ask because if you can get some of the tech company health plan action, TX has some pretty good benefits and supportive culture for veterans. Also generally good cost of living compared to a bunch of places and no state income tax.

Main caveat though is depending on which city/region you may have more exposure to chud mentality or judgey religious folks than you might want. But also unfortunately some parts aren’t so great if you aren’t cis/het/white folk. But for reals though it can often be a good place for vets seeking work at least.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I do know that we are building out in Midlothian, which is to the Southwest of Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I would imagine there are a few other companies that have a presence in Texas as well. Virginia also has a lot, so if you are transferring out of the Navy you can head up to Richmond or DC area and be knee deep in all sorts of data center jobs. Only drawback there is that the cost of living and traffic are bad.

Data Center Locations for various companies:

Reno/Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Dallas Ft. Worth
Herndon, VA/Loudon County VA/ DC
Rural Oregon - Central/Eastern
Rural Washington -Central/Eastern
Tulsa
Omaha area
Atlanta
Rural Alabama (I see no reason to ever go there)
NYC has the largest telco data center, but it is in Manhattan, so maybe commute and cost of living would be problematic.
Denver has a few colocation sites
The Midwest has some around Chicago and Columbus I believe.
I can do some digging if needed too

https://www.midlothianmirror.com/news/20190614/midlothian-is-worth-google-tech-giant-hosts-welcoming-event-at-new-375-acre-data-center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Viva Miriya posted:

Appreciate ya homie
:)
Also forgot to mention that the course 15 stuff (sloan school of management) can be pretty universally helpful. Apparently alot of companies these days will pay big bucks for consultants to come in and basically regurgitate some of that material. Especially the classes that have some flavor of systems dynamics or game theory to the title (fair warning though if you have a solid STEM background you might get annoyed by some of the pseudomath involved in lecture material). If I remember correctly I think the logistics classes also have similar value