Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

eke out posted:

but right now the GND exists in the form of some resolutions recognizing the need for a green new deal, and isn't actually fully written as a spending bil;l

Right, which is why I want to see the actual details.

Realistically, the GND's goals are both not nearly good enough and a recipe for massive economic disruption. You can arguably make a massive environmental works project like this good for the economy in the long run, but a huge number of people will lose their jobs as entire industries are shuttered over the next decade or so. It's absolutely meaningless for Democrats to say that they're going to take "big" or "bold" action on climate change if they won't provide very specific details on their plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

tbh I'd be fine with trump living in exiled, senile disgrace for the rest of his miserable life. It's not like he will ever see the inside of a cell.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Right, which is why I want to see the actual details.

Realistically, the GND's goals are both not nearly good enough and a recipe for massive economic disruption. You can arguably make a massive environmental works project like this good for the economy in the long run, but a huge number of people will lose their jobs as entire industries are shuttered over the next decade or so. It's absolutely meaningless for Democrats to say that they're going to take "big" or "bold" action on climate change if they won't provide very specific details on their plans.

i'm going to assume this post is in good faith even though those are pretty much republican talking points you're posting:

what the plan is is going to be heavily dependent on who is president, both warren and bernie have released many pages worth of information about the different things their plans would do (and they're, by and large, quite similar in scope, ambition, and timetable, though have different focuses) and there's even a bad biden bill that claims to do the same things but takes twenty years longer.

go read those things, instead of expecting the Senate to lead on this (or anything else). they have no reason to right now when the leader of the party is in question and that person's plan will be heavily determinative of what makes it into a bill.

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 28, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

eke out posted:

i'm going to assume this post is in good faith even though those are pretty much republican talking points your posting:

wut

Like, dude, Sanders' plan calls for zero net emissions from generation and transportation by 2030. Do you know what that realistically looks like? That means no cars, no coal, no container ships, no airplanes, no natural gas, all in less than ten years. Let's loving do it, but let's not pretend that this won't eviscerate industries. It will, and that's why any kind of radical, sweeping climate bill needs to be paired with a massive amount of labor support. And yes, I'm fully aware that the GND addresses this in broad terms, but without a more concrete plan of action none of it means anything.

I have no idea why you think that me saying that the GND doesn't go nearly far enough is a Republican talking point. I'm saying that we're not being realistic about the problem that we're facing. And yes, I've read all of their plans in their entirety.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 28, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

wut

Like, dude, Sanders' plan calls for zero net emissions by 2030. Do you know what that realistically looks like? That means no cars, no coal, no container ships, no airplanes, no natural gas, all in less than ten years. Let's loving do it, but let's not pretend that this won't eviscerate industries. It will, and that's why any kind of radical, sweeping climate bill needs to be paired with a massive amount of labor support. And yes, I'm fully aware that the GND addresses this in broad terms, but without a more concrete plan of action none of it means anything.

I have no idea why you think that me saying that the GND doesn't go nearly far enough is a Republican talking point.

"we might need legislation to deal with climate change, but this will eviscerate our jobs and the dems won't tell us how they'll do it!!" unironically is a moderate (r) talking point.

this is a discussion for the primary thread, all (good) candidates have ideas to address the problem you say you have, and i'm 100% certain you will find people there happy to explain what bernie would do

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

i still can't get over the fact that in tyool 2019 we get our political news from Twitter accounts that might as well be shitposting. This dystopia is not only boring, it's dumb, too

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1177941037895036928

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

eke out posted:

"we might need legislation to deal with climate change, but this will eviscerate our jobs and the dems won't tell us how they'll do it!!" unironically is a moderate (r) talking point.

this is a discussion for the primary thread, all (good) candidates have ideas to address the problem you say you have, and i'm 100% certain you will find people there happy to explain what bernie would do

You understand that I don't have a "problem" with the GND, right? My problem is that I won't believe that Democrats actually intend to implement any of its goals until they're willing to commit to details. I don't think you understand what I'm saying here at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the craziest thing about them blowing their rhetorical load on this hearsay thing is that the whole point of the inquiry is that they will be doing depositions and hearings to get first hand, eyewitness evidence lol.

like, they're literally already scheduled so it's an extremely easy talking point to bat down

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

the craziest thing about them blowing their rhetorical load on this hearsay thing is that the whole point of the inquiry is that they will be doing depositions and hearings to get first hand, eyewitness evidence lol.

like, they're literally already scheduled so it's an extremely easy talking point to bat down

Well that and the Inspector General conducting their own investigation and finding the report credible

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
also the reason parts of it are hearsay is because Republicans have relentlessly blocked or ignored every attempt to collect evidence.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is literally all they got for talking points 4 days in. This is kind of pathetic honestly

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The hearsay thing might have worked if they didn't release the transcripts to corroborate...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

TulliusCicero posted:

This is literally all they got for talking points 4 days in. This is kind of pathetic honestly

Their goal is to scream it increasingly louder until it sticks, same as always.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hearsay except for all the parts that have already been confirmed with more to come

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

The hearsay thing might have worked if they didn't release the transcripts to corroborate...

GOP: "The administration lies constantly, only a fool would believe them"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Spiffster posted:

Their goal is to scream it increasingly louder until it sticks, same as always.

well again, to be fair it's always worked before

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Besides suck up Graham there still isn’t a Republican willing to go on record defending Trump’s actions. It’s been 3 days and they’re still all directionless.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of think it's a fool's game to guess at Republican strategy at this point.

It's possible that Mitch wanted to throw Trump under the bus. It's also possible that he intends to force his caucus to vote against removal no matter what and he's hoping that he can use the argument that everything is transparent and above board. The Republican response, such as it is right now, seems to be focused on saying that the transcript proves nothing and nothing bad happened. I wouldn't underestimate the willingness of the GOP to just make up the reality that they want.

It's also possible Trump lied to him about what was in the transcript.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Besides suck up Graham there still isn’t a Republican willing to go on record defending Trump’s actions. It’s been 3 days and they’re still all directionless.

Uh I implore you to remember McCarthy saying....something

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Webp files are the wooooorst.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

some other senate ghouls like rick scott are saying like "I haven't seen any evidence he committed a crime" but even that is a transparently weak, equivocal take. and it's like, as much support as he's getting from non-Graham people.

and republicans in the house have absolutely said crazy thigns defending him already

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I wonder what Linda Tripp is up to these days...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Shifty Pony posted:

Would Mitch really be dumb enough to believe him?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe this was the clear cut way to get Trump out. McConnell saw this as the least damaging way of washing their hands of him maybe? They have to know he’s a net drain on the party at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

may be dumb enough to trust his aides.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of think it's a fool's game to guess at Republican strategy at this point.

It's possible that Mitch wanted to throw Trump under the bus. It's also possible that he intends to force his caucus to vote against removal no matter what and he's hoping that he can use the argument that everything is transparent and above board. The Republican response, such as it is right now, seems to be focused on saying that the transcript proves nothing and nothing bad happened. I wouldn't underestimate the willingness of the GOP to just make up the reality that they want.

Everyone keeps forgetting that Mitch also fractured a shoulder a month back and might be out of his mind on painkillers.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Crackbone posted:

Maybe this was the clear cut way to get Trump out. McConnell saw this as the least damaging way of washing their hands of him maybe? They have to know he’s a net drain on the party at this point.

Yall need to stop it with thinking Mcconnell is anywhere near ready to drop trump. Trump's approval is +16 in Kentucky. Kicking him out of the white house would all but guarantee Mitch loses re-election.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-states-where-trump-is-more-and-less-popular-than-he-should-be/

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

eke out posted:

At that point, they'll move the goalposts and Trumpkins will forget that this was the original argument at all. The final argument will be that Trump did nothing illegal or wrong.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Shifty Pony posted:

Or McConnell knew about the whistleblower's report contents but not the details. I assume he thought it was a cover-up for a politically embarrassing phone call, not a criminal one.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

skylined! posted:

Yall need to stop it with thinking Mcconnell is anywhere near ready to drop trump. Trump's approval is +16 in Kentucky. Kicking him out of the white house would all but guarantee Mitch loses re-election.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-states-where-trump-is-more-and-less-popular-than-he-should-be/
Is Takei still planning to run against him?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you take the view that the transcript was going to come out eventually, because it's directly referenced in the whistleblower report -- and the whistleblower report, which they are legally required to turn over to the congressional subcommittees if asked, contains all the essential facts contained in the transcript anyway -- then, under normal circumstances, it makes sense to release the transcript voluntarily before you're compelled by subpoena to release it involuntarily. At least if you put it out there, you get a chance to frame the optics around it. On paper, it's a good move; it's just that nobody expected the transcript to read as badly as it did.

The difference is that the people around Trump, at this point, are so used to dealing with the tactics and mindset of a sleazy jumped-up New York landlord that they've internalized it as normal, and they don't realize that, to the rest of the world, it looks like a mob shakedown. Trumpland is like that mythical frog in a pot of water where the heat's slowly being turned up; they no longer recognize what it looks like not to be boiling alive.

Now that we can look at both documents, from a pure wargaming perspective I can say that it would have gone better for them to have held back the transcript, released the whistleblower report, bluster about hearsay evidence for a week while they tried to dig up dirt on the whistleblower, and then release the transcript, but that's me as a sane person in possession of both documents. If you were not a sane person, or you'd only had the documents described to you by an insane person, it makes more sense to do it the other way.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 28, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
self-impeachment going strong

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I also expect they intended to muddy the waters between this memo and the real transcript referenced in the whistleblower report, which is why the right wing gets so pissy when you point out that the thing release isn’t the transcript.

McConnel probably assumed Trump wouldn’t be stupid enough to write crimes into the released memo

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Let's release the transcript to get ahead of the report. Oof transcript looks bad. Report comes out. oh the report accurately describes the transcript. Quick, complain that the report is based on secondhand evidence. He NEVER listened to the transcript we already know he accurately described... yes, this will work. Excellent strategy

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/davidklion/status/1177954350678921225?s=21

This is preposterous. Quid pro quo, things of that nature.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

skylined! posted:

maybe, but i think mitch is brazen/hubris enough to think that if he replaced trump with pence, than he could survive and than survive into a dem presidency

Kavros posted:

Let's release the transcript to get ahead of the report. Oof transcript looks bad. Report comes out. oh the report accurately describes the transcript. Quick, complain that the report is based on secondhand evidence. He NEVER listened to the transcript we already know he accurately described... yes, this will work. Excellent strategy

and the witness will almost ceirtently get called to testify if they havent already.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Kind of expecting Putin or the Saudis to troll us by saying say, here, have our transcript of our call. It'll of course be blatantly phony but Trump can't release his own transcripts to counter so :lol:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Phobic Nest posted:

Kind of expecting Putin or the Saudis to troll us by saying say, here, have our transcript of our call. It'll of course be blatantly phony but Trump can't release his own transcripts to counter so :lol:

Why would the Saudis want to troll Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rinkles posted:

Why would the Saudis want to troll Trump?

To stir the pot and cause chaos that they can take advantage of. There's probably a few more journalists MBS wants to murder.

Here's a good read on why a broad slow impeachment process would be best.

https://twitter.com/pblest/status/1177970619855577088