Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
For some reason every standard report I've ever seen didn't have voids, you had to manually pull them every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

pile of brown posted:

For some reason every standard report I've ever seen didn't have voids, you had to manually pull them every time

What? I've never had reports not include voids.

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
I am not eat breakfast food.
Worked at a place where I had the ownership insist on writing little explanations for discounts for the BoH to be able to adapt/fix things, because otherwise it was just blind 50% and 100%s all the time. They hadn't been bothering to read through the reasons, a lot of "didn't like" type of stuff at first.

Turns out two servers were comping friends' food constantly, making up nonsensical reasons (too spicy for a granola bowl?, too fatty for a burger when we used lean?, "tough" lattes?).

They'd also abuse the autograt system for large groups (15 or more). Wound up on all sorts of groups of 4's bills, even though it said RIGHT BELOW THE TIP LINE ON THE RECEIPT that it only applied to 15+.

They didn't have a floor manager or a FoH manager, so they'd have "senior server" assigned, and they'd have to approve the discount. Still got abused, when the "senior server" would get asked why they authorized the discount, they'd invariably say "because the server asked me to discount it". Huh.

The owners insisted that they didn't need a FoH manager/GM/whatever, and that the servers "managed themselves".

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Science WHORE posted:

I graduated last December and, in short, there are no jobs in my field in this area, so my only saving grace was to return to the restaurant business.

Oh god this is my nightmare. Good luck finding something.

Tsathoggua posted:

The owners insisted that they didn't need a FoH manager/GM/whatever, and that the servers "managed themselves".

:allears:

Genius! I bet they lost more than they'd spend paying a competent person to run the show.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 24, 2019

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The owner of the pizza place I worked at told the cook there was no way to actually track bottled beer sales because there was only one button on the register for bottles. A different cook found out and started taking 12 home every night after his shift.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

greazeball posted:

The owner of the pizza place I worked at told the cook there was no way to actually track bottled beer sales because there was only one button on the register for bottles. A different cook found out and started taking 12 home every night after his shift.

My hero!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

greazeball posted:

i don't follow, even if you aren't tracking individual labels, or even just "premium" and "domestic", surely you're still counting the total number of bottles when you inventory? you should still have some kind of tally of bottles sold vs bottles on hand

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He was a lawyer who bought a pizza restaurant on a cool nightclubby street in SF in the 90s cos it had an office upstairs and he thought he was cool like that. He never actually did any work in the restaurant except for the books maybe I guess. I never saw him make a pie or serve a table. He wouldn't bus his dishes when he was done and he wouldn't clean the espresso machine when he made his latte. He also forbade anyone from playing any music except for the 12 cartridges of CDs that he had brought in no matter what time of day or night or who was playing at the clubs. Basically, he had no clue or interest in restaurants at all, it was just a vanity thing for him.

His business partner was the "ideas" part of the operation but idk what she really did either. I think she helped out during the lunch shift (I only ever worked nights) but as far as I could see she just made a new kind of cookie every other month and then went around giving them away to customers or people just walking by and then telling me I was putting too much romaine in the caesar salad and we really needed to watch food costs. She was the least spacially aware person I have ever worked with anywhere, just constantly oblivious standing right in the middle of doorways or walkways and then not responding or moving when you would try and get past.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Just quit the kitchen I’ve been “managing” for two years.

A 220 seater with a giant kitchen but I’ve only been allowed to schedule 3 people on Mondays and 5 on Saturdays.

My salary counted towards labour, so it crushed us. Minimum wage only for cooks. A dollar over for supervisor. I haven’t been able to keep a supervisor for months.

Been pulling 70 hour weeks while my wife was at home cleaning, baby raising, and working her own full time job.

Family p much fell apart. All we do is fight.

I’m enrolled in college next year and I’m actually gonna be getting into computer engineering. No more of this poo poo.

Finally.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dude, didn't you read the thread title?

For real though, good for you

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, good for you for making the right call. Update us if the owner tries to convince you to come back to help out.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

greazeball posted:

He was a lawyer who bought a pizza restaurant on a cool nightclubby street in SF in the 90s cos it had an office upstairs and he thought he was cool like that. He never actually did any work in the restaurant except for the books maybe I guess. I never saw him make a pie or serve a table. He wouldn't bus his dishes when he was done and he wouldn't clean the espresso machine when he made his latte. He also forbade anyone from playing any music except for the 12 cartridges of CDs that he had brought in no matter what time of day or night or who was playing at the clubs. Basically, he had no clue or interest in restaurants at all, it was just a vanity thing for him.

His business partner was the "ideas" part of the operation but idk what she really did either. I think she helped out during the lunch shift (I only ever worked nights) but as far as I could see she just made a new kind of cookie every other month and then went around giving them away to customers or people just walking by and then telling me I was putting too much romaine in the caesar salad and we really needed to watch food costs. She was the least spacially aware person I have ever worked with anywhere, just constantly oblivious standing right in the middle of doorways or walkways and then not responding or moving when you would try and get past.

huh, was there a kitchen manager of any kind? if they really weren't doing any inventories i wonder how they handled their orders with their beer distributor. i'm used to the detached fuckwit owners, but usually there's someone who's at least nominally in charge of these things

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

huh, was there a kitchen manager of any kind? if they really weren't doing any inventories i wonder how they handled their orders with their beer distributor. i'm used to the detached fuckwit owners, but usually there's someone who's at least nominally in charge of these things

That's the kind of story that will get you shut down in Texas. TABC will come in and audit a bar if receipts don't match invoices beyond a certain range. A couple 12 packs per week going missing is definitely within the realm of yanking your license.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I was hired as a head brewer at a new place in Osaka after an... acrimonious divorce from my last boss. Unfortunately the tax office in Japan is a huge pain in the rear end in regards to the whole licensing for small breweries so it's taking more time than planned. In the meantime I'm behind the bar. I suck at it and had a panic attack last week but they're at least working with me. I've always appreciated good service people and the bullshit they put up with but now I REALLY understand it. Thank you for your service.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I was hired as a head brewer at a new place in Osaka after an... acrimonious divorce from my last boss.

I hope it wasn't Baird...

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Stringent posted:

I hope it wasn't Baird...

Oh no. The owner there is definitely a real piece of work in many ways but I THINK he likes me. The place I worked before was tiny.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

E: double post

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 27, 2019

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The guy who was in charge of the kitchen really only cared about calling in to his favourite AM radio sports talk shows during the day while he worked, as far as I could tell. I guess it was him who did the work though because I doubt the other two could have kept things going for a month on their own. He also brought the dough recipe and made that all day while he talked on the phone. I really tried to stay away any time I wasn't working or collecting my check. It's one thing to be dead and make poo poo money and it's another to be slammed for hours doing 3-4 jobs at once (to-go window, table service, phone orders and I had to make all the salads) while your idiot bosses stand in your way or make a mess while making poo poo money cos nobody tipped for poo poo on a couple slices of pricey gourmet pizza and a beer. I just did 2-3 nights a week during art school cos it was regular and the rest of night crew was pretty cool so it was OK. Also I could just always be stoned which was my thing at the time until the boss made a surprise visit and visited dry storage and fired me and the cook on the spot. It had been 3 years without him ever staying past the first 30 minutes of my shift so we were really not expecting it but we were both happy to go home early lol. Just putting that last bit in so nobody thinks I was somehow a victim in any of this, I was as much of an idiot as everyone there. The place did not attract well-adjusted people or those with any actual culinary ambitions.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Heyyyyy both of our AGMs are leaving. The one that just came back from leave after a stroke and thinks I hung the moon because I understand food science and can multitask got transferred to San Antonio, and the other is ragequitting over some insurance fuckery and hasn't bothered doing actual work for about a week now.

Apparently tomorrow I get to babysit the new AGM transferring in, because he doesn't know how to cook. We are a fully functional restaurant, yessirree

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TheKennedys posted:

Heyyyyy both of our AGMs are leaving. The one that just came back from leave after a stroke and thinks I hung the moon because I understand food science and can multitask got transferred to San Antonio, and the other is ragequitting over some insurance fuckery and hasn't bothered doing actual work for about a week now.

Apparently tomorrow I get to babysit the new AGM transferring in, because he doesn't know how to cook. We are a fully functional restaurant, yessirree

follow the first one to San Antonio?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

You know how I said I wasn't stressed so I totally didn't care about the lovely conditions I was working in?

I changed my mind.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Currently praying for this job recruiter to get back to me so I can walk out.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Science WHORE posted:

Currently praying for this job recruiter to get back to me so I can walk out.

yaaaaaas queen. Good luck man.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

There is a hotel opening near me that needs a baker, I've worked as a baker for a place doing their buns, loafs, crackers, desserts and other things. Is hotel baking more of the same or is there weird poo poo when you go to a hotel?

Loved the poo poo out of working as a baker and I haven't worked in a hotel setting so I just wanted to check if there is any reason not to ditch my current job for a hotel job.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Roll of Quarters posted:

There is a hotel opening near me that needs a baker, I've worked as a baker for a place doing their buns, loafs, crackers, desserts and other things. Is hotel baking more of the same or is there weird poo poo when you go to a hotel?

Loved the poo poo out of working as a baker and I haven't worked in a hotel setting so I just wanted to check if there is any reason not to ditch my current job for a hotel job.

Working on 2 properties(same brand) with the usual assortment of banquets/multiple restaurant formats/room service I saw only frozen baked goods out of the Sysco catalog unpacked and "baked" for everything. This was at both locations despite both having a "baker" employed full time, and one property even having an entire 2nd (3rd?)kitchen dedicated to baking.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 27, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Roll of Quarters posted:

What hotel brand? As was said, simply due to volume you might be dealing with a lot of frozen stuff that just needs to be thrown in the oven. That said, as several folks here can attest to, hotels generally offer a level of stability you may not find elsewhere, and often will include benefits if you're working full time. At the very least it's worth submitting your resume and getting an interview if possible.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

It's under the Hilton brand, my take home pay is going to go down, but I'll get benefits and it's closer to home. It looks great, and if I'm actually baking and not just throwing Sysco poo poo into an oven it's what I want to do. I really just want to make sure there isn't any weird hotel stuff before I apply when I get off of my current job.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Roll of Quarters posted:

Mostly all I'd worry about is asking what they're looking for you to make. If they want cake deco/sugar art for banquets that's a different creature than production baking, but it'll probably just be production baking. Bread/rolls/breakfast pastries.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The owner of the place I work at had a meltdown last week and called a managers meeting where he screamed at us for half an hour about the kitchen being hosed up after a close. He docked all of our pay starting immediately and all of our checks were short yesterday, so he shorted us on our checks from the week before all of this stuff went down. I pointed this out to him and he disregarded it saying something like "you guys hosed me over so I'm loving you over".

Should be a fun weekend.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Time to look up your state's labor laws because that's all kinds of illegal.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I work at a Hilton in the pastry dept. We do have a lot of frozen things like croissants, danish, etc...
We also do a lot of things from scratch like coffee cakes, quick breads, scones.
It depends on if it's for the regular guests or for big banquets.

It's not a bad gig, it's union, benefits are paid 100% by the company. Hours are decent.
The one big downside with it being union is that being the new guy anytime it's slow you'll be the first to get laid off. Seniority is a bitch there's a couple of guys I work with that have been here 30 years.
One of the other cooks on the banquets side has been here 50 years.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

ParserGirl posted:

Time to look up your state's labor laws because that's all kinds of illegal.

I got fired. He said " well loving take me to court".

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I figured you'd make an anonymous wage complaint on your state's board of labor rather than talk to him, but that's still your next step after filing for unemployment. They can do what would take a court a long time. You're likely to get more money being fired than you'd be likely to see from someone who can't make payroll.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I feel like being fired after bringing up illegal wage theft is a great start if you want to really gently caress someone up wrt labor laws

Edit/psa: hope you’re writing everything down right now while your memory is still fresh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Field Mousepad posted:

I got fired. He said " well loving take me to court".

Challenge accepted!

He's so idiotically open about wage theft that you can probably get a lawyer to take the case on contingency. You personally won't likely get anything besides your stolen wages back, but it'll royally gently caress him over and I think we can all agree that's the objective here. You definitely should at least look up and call a local labor attorney or two and talk to them about it.

Also listen to ParserGirl and call up your state Department of Labor right now. He is going to get his rear end fined a bazillion dollars for that.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Please please make a complaint. This guy absolutely knows it’s illegal and does it anyway because he wants to wave his dick around. If it works once, he’ll do it again and again.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

I work at a Hilton in the pastry dept. We do have a lot of frozen things like croissants, danish, etc...
We also do a lot of things from scratch like coffee cakes, quick breads, scones.
It depends on if it's for the regular guests or for big banquets.

It's not a bad gig, it's union, benefits are paid 100% by the company. Hours are decent.
The one big downside with it being union is that being the new guy anytime it's slow you'll be the first to get laid off. Seniority is a bitch there's a couple of guys I work with that have been here 30 years.
One of the other cooks on the banquets side has been here 50 years.

I wonder how seniority works with a brand new hotel.

Yeah everything about it sounds dope, fingers crossed that I get a call back!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Challenge accepted!

He's so idiotically open about wage theft that you can probably get a lawyer to take the case on contingency. You personally won't likely get anything besides your stolen wages back, but it'll royally gently caress him over and I think we can all agree that's the objective here. You definitely should at least look up and call a local labor attorney or two and talk to them about it.

Also listen to ParserGirl and call up your state Department of Labor right now. He is going to get his rear end fined a bazillion dollars for that.

I knew someone fired as an "accessory" without any evidence to someone on camera commiting a small theft because he had briefly spoken to the person and his bosses decided to assume he was planning the theft with them.

His lawyer basically told him it was a can't lose case and the only question was take an offer of $60k or squeeze them for a year and see if they'll go higher.

It was (after lawyer fees) about 3 months pay plus a nice chunk for the whole hassle and they are legally required to give him a positive work reference in the future.

When bosses gently caress around with labor laws they can get wrecked pretty fast, they just count on it being easier for people to find a new job then have to deal with getting a lawyer and making all those meetings and hearings plus suing your old workplace would discourage other places from hiring you while its ongoing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hutla posted:

Please please make a complaint. This guy absolutely knows it’s illegal and does it anyway because he wants to wave his dick around. If it works once, he’ll do it again and again.

This.

gently caress that guy, let the DoL march up his rear end with big hobnailed boots. Ten to one if he's doing this he's also engaging in 'creative bookkeeping' as regards his taxes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Find evidence of the tax fraud, report it to the irs, and they have a finders fee