Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

i am harry posted:

Wow what the gently caress is the deal with English women name Frances

Our upper classes never got their heads chopped off and now its so long overdue you can't propose a basic standard for buy to let landlords without them screaming about the Bolsheviks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ThomasPaine posted:

I used to have an awful schoolboy crush on a girl called Frances and she wasn't interested and I embarrassed myself thoroughly and cried about it to my mum, so really that's three nil

did she retreat when you asked her out?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i am harry posted:

Re: the BBC

Considering how it’s blatantly been swung hard right to the point where it’s The Sun on TV, are there not open calls by members of the public to boycott the TV license because that would be the first thing on the top of my mind if I was back in England watching any of that poo poo.

Only old people and fools watch British TV or pay their license and they all love the nazi poo poo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

AceOfFlames posted:

Man, what did Kat Tut do to deserve what we have done to him?
It's ironic isn't it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

like jose, pegging was involved

:golfclap:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

i am harry posted:

Re: the BBC

Considering how it’s blatantly been swung hard right to the point where it’s The Sun on TV, are there not open calls by members of the public to boycott the TV license because that would be the first thing on the top of my mind if I was back in England watching any of that poo poo.

I don't have a TV licence, and neither do most of my friends

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Our upper classes never got their heads chopped off and now its so long overdue you can't propose a basic standard for buy to let landlords without them screaming about the Bolsheviks

you can actually chop their heads off and it doesn't do much good, gauging by the Chinese experience (the slow-moving transformation of the abolition of all private land ownership (hard-won, to say the least) that enforced 70-year maximum leases on all residential property, to having those leases themselves turn into de facto freehold title without much fanfare)

e: guess what I'm reading about right now

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 28, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Only old people and fools watch British TV or pay their license and they all love the nazi poo poo

Also if the money from the license dropped to the point where the BBC did have to make cuts, they'd cut music radio and kids programmes to the bone before they even thought about affecting BBC News.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Imagine paying for a tv license lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ratjaculation posted:

like jose, pegging was involved

:doit:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Paying money for something and being given sherlock, QT and Dr who in return is about the most insulting thing I can imagine

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Paying money for something and being given sherlock, QT and Dr who in return is about the most insulting thing I can imagine

Miranda and Badults.

Badults is probably the worst thing they ever made.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ You're forgetting My Hero.

Question for the legal team.

My understanding of the FTPA is that it prohibits the formation of new coalitions every time the ruling party's majority dips. The VONC provision also gives the ruling party 2 weeks after the vote to shore up their majority.

So. What's stopping Labour calling a VONC, and then the lib dems forming a coalition with the tories? Right now this is my prime concern, that Corbyn calls the vote and the libs pull a handwringing 'awful but necessary' coalition, allowing the bastards to stay in power?

Like lets not get into the morality, or how it would impact on future electability, because I personally believe that Swinson already has zero morals and would absolutely detonate the Libs future electability to get in on the fat stacks coming to anyone making no deal happen.

I just want to know about the legality of it, like could the libs bolster the tories in the two weeks the FTPA gives them?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 28, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I don't think the LDs will coalition with bojo but I definitely think they'd coaliton with any other tory that comes after him

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I don't think the LDs will coalition with bojo but I definitely think they'd coaliton with any other tory that comes after him
I guess that would be the other possibility. Internal VONC boots Boris as conservative leader, replace him with a more palatable remainer (Rory? Reinstated Ken?), Libs gently caress everything to hell with a coalition.

I just worry, we're so loving close I can almost taste the jam.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Nah, they'd coalition with any tory

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Paying for a TV license... lol
Paying for Sky basic channels, still filled with ads... Mega lol

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My understanding of the FTPA is that it prohibits the formation of new coalitions every time the ruling party's majority dips. The VONC provision also gives the ruling party 2 weeks after the vote to shore up their majority.

So. What's stopping Labour calling a VONC, and then the lib dems forming a coalition with the tories? Right now this is my prime concern, that Corbyn calls the vote and the libs pull a handwringing 'awful but necessary' coalition, allowing the bastards to stay in power?

Like lets not get into the morality, or how it would impact on future electability, because I personally believe that Swinson already has zero morals and would absolutely detonate the Libs future electability to get in on the fat stacks coming to anyone making no deal happen.

I just want to know about the legality of it, like could the libs bolster the tories in the two weeks the FTPA gives them?

Boris kicked so many people out the Lib Dems can't coalition with the Tories even if they wanted to.

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I don't watch British TV cause I have taste but I like the letters they send me every couple months talking about sending "enforcement officers" round.
Love that language which makes it sound like theyr gonna send round some toughs to beat me up.

Also that they threaten to bust into my house on X date and beat me up every couple months for the last 7 years and have never arrived once. Kinda makes it less threatening but they keep sending the letters

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I don't watch British TV cause I have taste but I like the letters they send me every couple months talking about sending "enforcement officers" round.
Love that language which makes it sound like theyr gonna send round some toughs to beat me up.

Also that they threaten to bust into my house on X date and beat me up every couple months for the last 7 years and have never arrived once. Kinda makes it less threatening but they keep sending the letters

The BBC have special scanners that can detect if you're watching TV without a license

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don’t have access to photoshop right now, but Domscum’s face would fit perfectly as Beavis from Beavis and Butthead, just needs a giant pillar of yellow hair.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ratjaculation posted:

The BBC have special scanners that can detect if you're watching TV without a license

And then they send you a million investigation letters, but can’t do poo poo. You can outright refuse them if they knock on your door. Everyone just use it even if you’re not watching just to piss them off.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Dom cummies looks like Ben (the poo poo) off of peep show and now I can't unsee it

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1177894790907731968

Fleets of helicopters to be donated by billionaires to make sure Labours doesn't unfuck the country while the Tories do their annual running of the bulls in a northern Labour voting city for some strange, masochistic reason.

Votes at 16 would be massive - back-of-the-envelope estimate of enfranchising about 1.4 million people. Imagine being the governing party, having to vote against that and then losing - you've handed the opposing parties the easiest targeted-campaign for votes in the world.

looking forward to some absolute shithousery during the conference then. Just chuck any popular idea on the table and force the government attempt to prevent votes from happening at all costs - including mass enfranchisement - while they bleat about saving democracy & respecting the will of the people.

ThomasPaine posted:

Dom cummies looks like Ben (the poo poo) off of peep show and now I can't unsee it

Ah... that's who it is! i couldn't quite connect it and it's been bugging me

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Feels like if there's a minimum age for voting and holding political office, there ought to be a maximum age too.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Votes at 16 would ensure a labour landslide and bury the Tories, 100%

So are the Tories all going to be away at conference? Does that not give the opposition the chance to pass whatever the hell they like?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If the government and opposition will both vote on an early election (more than 2/3rd of Commons seats) there's no two-week period. That's only for overall-majority no-confidence votes.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Genuine question- can passing votes at 16 be done so easily though?

Even with the Tory numbers probably reduced, I imagine the LDs would vote against it because young people don't like them, ex-Tory, CUK and LD defectors would vote against it too I imagine.

Surely it would be a slow process too, given the requirements for 1.4m (thanks PaF for the figure) people to register to vote and be added to the roll.

It would also be labelled as mega undemocratic by every poo poo rag and gammon in the land, because they don't have the logic to understand what democracy means - but this is an ultra lol point.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

And then they send you a million investigation letters, but can’t do poo poo. You can outright refuse them if they knock on your door. Everyone just use it even if you’re not watching just to piss them off.

They don't actually have any scanner vans either. The technology doesn't exist, it's always been a big disinformation campaign by the BBC.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Ratjaculation posted:

Even with the Tory numbers probably reduced, I imagine the LDs would vote against it because young people don't like them,

yer what

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

jabby posted:

They don't actually have any scanner vans either. The technology doesn't exist, it's always been a big disinformation campaign by the BBC.

Personal space penetrating BBCs are a real problem -actually-

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

Even with the Tory numbers probably reduced, I imagine the LDs would vote against it because young people don't like them

Afaik young people still like them more than old people do?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

They don't but even if they did they wouldn't be able to detect you watching iPlayer on a ps4, and even if they could you don't have to let them in, and even if you do you can point out that you don't even have an aerial and you only use the tv for gaming :cool:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the FTPA doesn't prevent coalition formation - it does remove the imperative to resign after losing a vote a matter of confidence (something key to the govt agenda, or something more pedestrian like a money bill prior to the FTPA), so there is no reason to immediately form a new supply of confidence. The government just goes on and instead obliges the opposition to find a majority to no-confidence it, which it will struggle immensely to do.

the threat posed by Swinson has two scenarios - LDEM failing to support a LAB no-confidence motion narrow enough to have a plausible chance of overturning the government (given that it supported the Labour VONC in January, this seems questionable; LDEM looks set to make gains in the current polling). The other threat is of LDEM putting forth a VONC as a stunt and then browbeating LAB about the head about it, as SNP did last year.

the main thing inhibiting Labour calling a VONC at this point is the same hesitation back in December last year - poor polling. This being also why the Mail is running headlines like this:

https://twitter.com/TheNewspaperBot/status/1177359199577300992

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The BBC did give a pretty awesome description of a detector van in response to a freedom of information request though.

quote:

the optical detector in the detector van uses a large lens to collect that light and focus it on to an especially sensitive device, which converts fluctuating light signals into electrical signals, which can be electronically analysed. If a receiver is being used to watch broadcast programmes then a positive reading is returned.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ThomasPaine posted:

I used to have an awful schoolboy crush on a girl called Frances and she wasn't interested and I embarrassed myself thoroughly and cried about it to my mum, so really that's three nil

Is that why you keep linking to Tweetmans twitter?

Also found this and I liked it a fair bit:
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1177775049442353154

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

They don't but even if they did they wouldn't be able to detect you watching iPlayer on a ps4, and even if they could you don't have to let them in, and even if you do you can point out that you don't even have an aerial and you only use the tv for gaming :cool:

Nah man they totally do, the trick is to run the microwave whilst your watching tv. So if titanic is on, set it to run for 3hours and kick back safely having outsmarted greg dyke

the radiation scrambles the bbc scanners you see, its all very technical you won't understand cos you work in a chippy mate

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Is that why you keep linking to Tweetmans twitter?

I am beginning to wonder whether the hatred has wrapped around on itself and I'm just in love with her now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

The BBC did give a pretty awesome description of a detector van in response to a freedom of information request though.

So they...look into your window to see if the telly is on? Lmao