Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pray for my aunt posted:

Seems like they were just trying to offer some friendly advice because you were playing poorly.

Except that such advice isn't actually useful, because as he pointed out, this guy is passive-aggressively telling this White Mage to use a spell that White Mage doesn't have at that level.

I think he's being a dick in response to all this and I think that's an awful way to behave as a healer, but I understand a reflexive issue with that. I'm levelling up Red Mage right now, and I consider it only a matter of time before someone gets mad at me for not using Vercure and/or (more likely) Verraise in pre-Stormblood content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I'm willing to assume less malice on the part of the advice giver than the WHM not casting Assize.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Cleretic posted:

Except that such advice isn't actually useful, because as he pointed out, this guy is passive-aggressively telling this White Mage to use a spell that White Mage doesn't have at that level.
He almost certainly meant Afflatus Solace

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ojetor posted:

I am looking for an alt now because my wrist loving aches from spamming Form Shift for 30 min every instance. What's the chillest job that's not a melee DPS?
Dancer and Red Mage are both pretty relaxing to play for other DPS classes; starting at 50 or 60 is nice too. There's also Gunbreaker if you want to try tanking + starting at 60.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

T9 trip report: Finally won a duel against Nael. I geared up and got food/pots then got killed repeatedly because I couldn't time my burst right even when I burst a couple of seconds before heavensfall. I looked over the RDM clear vid and decided to leave garrot twist on as a timer, it worked great and my RDM killed her with time to spare even though it didn't look too different from a bunch of my other attempts otherwise. :shrug:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I uhhh..

:ohdear:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Huh I must've completely forgotten the ivalice stuff.

Seven shadows cast. Seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death, and death alone!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ojetor posted:

Finally finished ShB as MNK. It was absolutely incredible, holy hell. I couldn't stop playing for the last few levels because I really wanted to know what was going to happen next. I even stopped reading the thread for fear of spoilers. Probably post some thoughts about the story later.

I am looking for an alt now because my wrist loving aches from spamming Form Shift for 30 min every instance. What's the chillest job that's not a melee DPS?

Defining chill strictly as not needing to press a bunch of buttons all the time, if you want to stick to dps, rdm has the fewest ogcds and nothing to maintain. War for tanks and whm for healers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

𝑅𝓊𝒾𝓃 𝒶𝓃 𝑒𝓁𝒻 𝓌𝑒𝒹𝒹𝒾𝓃𝑔.

ff14 needs a dedicated honk button imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kitfox88 posted:

Not mine but it's really good

I need more spuds looking good in heavy armor/plate, please; i've got two fantasia in my inventory and they're very warm

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Finally finished ShB as MNK. It was absolutely incredible, holy hell. I couldn't stop playing for the last few levels because I really wanted to know what was going to happen next. I even stopped reading the thread for fear of spoilers. Probably post some thoughts about the story later.

Dancer is chill by ranged DPS standards. Dark Knight is the simplest tank.

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
I'll break my lurking spree to share the word about the best part of FF14: being potato

Even though I've recently used a fantasia to change it up as I begin Stormblood, I'll return to the fold in time...

I love this game.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Threep posted:

He almost certainly meant Afflatus Solace

He covered that one, but I'd been using it on the tank and the red mage. Honestly it's less being told to use a spell and more passive-aggressively whispering after a dungeon was over with the Busy status.

Eox fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 28, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Incoming tank medley.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

LalaPic!

Although, for the month of October, I decided to do something I haven't done before since ARR Beta: being something else.

Oddly enough, getting used to "slow movement" is easier than I thought.

The lack of hats, on the other hand...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there something like xivstyle but for weapons?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Eox posted:

I'm level 58 and determined to see how little actual healing I can get away with, I had to make some sacrifices to piss off the rude ninja.

edit: for the record this was a Great Gubal run where the only time anyone but me died was when the tank outran me while chain pulling

Yeah but Assize is primarily a DPS spell, not even really a healing spell. Sure it heals a bit but top tier whms use it on CD just for the extra bit of oGCD dps regardless of party hp so this player is totally correct to call you out on not using it.

Also Great Gubal Library is super easy at this point so it does not inspire much confidence in the rest of what you're saying when you imply that 1) you let the tank die while doing a big pull and 2) you died at some point as well somehow. Honestly it sounds like to me that this ninja just wanted to get the dungeon done and you were playing some weird "I'm not actually going to heal" game to the annoyance of others. I can understand why they got a bit salty.

And I'm someone who routinely tries to completely dishonest heal dungeons and raids so I get the urge. But like if someone is gonna die, you need to get over yourself and use your skills.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've finished SHB and did The Twinning, Akademia, and the first Eden raid. Besides carrying on with the raids, what should I be doing now? (obviously besides leveling alt jobs and whatever).

What are these new tomestone types for and where do I trade them in? I guess I could google that. I have 2 characters at 80 now (it will be 3 when Praetorium finishes, writing this while in cutscenes) and I have gear for the two at 80 already. I just bought MB stuff - crafting has made me feel kinda rich - so they're at like ilvl450. I also have all these gemstones from SHB FATEs, those are just for crafting mats? I did hunts for this first time in SHB, I guess I will keep getting sacks of nuts so that I can trade for the mounts, since I want all the mounts. I've also been going to Golden Saucer every day to farm up those points again for more mounts.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Ziddar posted:

Near the end of HW. (My spouse asked what haunted house I stole that from.)

Lalas are great :3:.

Amazing. Where did you get that from! I want one.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Someone called for Lalafell pics? Well, I have plenty of those.

...wait a minute...

!!!

Run away, run away! [/holygrail]

I'm sorry I tormented you so much in the goose game.

Kitfox88 posted:

This one IS mine and is really bad but I still love it. I think the cat in question is Tango but it's several years old so I can't remember. :v:

Pervert! It's a pervert! Sleazy lalas can be great too.

FortMan posted:

LalaPic!

Eat the rich!

Nineball posted:

I'll break my lurking spree to share the word about the best part of FF14: being potato

Please continue to break the lurking spree!

Continuing the lala train, my friend who isn't a goon has amazing style.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Failboattootoot posted:

Defining chill strictly as not needing to press a bunch of buttons all the time, if you want to stick to dps, rdm has the fewest ogcds and nothing to maintain. War for tanks and whm for healers.

I was actually really pleased by how naturally flowing and active Red Mage feels. I was worried from how it was talked about here that it would be totally brainless, which is why I turned away from Scholar in ShB. But Red Mage feels really active, if not necessarily complicated, you're always paying at least a bit of attention to what skill should come next instead of just hammering out an attack chain.

And yet it's still really chill, because even if you flub it and accidentally Dualcast Jolt you've lost basically nothing.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 28, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ciaphas posted:

I need more spuds looking good in heavy armor/plate, please; i've got two fantasia in my inventory and they're very warm

tuff tater checking in

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 28, 2019

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

I was actually really pleased by how naturally flowing and active Red Mage feels. I was worried from how it was talked about here that it would be totally brainless, which is why I turned away from Scholar in ShB. But Red Mage feels really active, if not necessarily complicated, you're always paying at least a bit of attention to what skill should come next instead of just hammering out an attack chain.

And yet it's still really chill, because even if you flub it and accidentally Dualcast Jolt you've lost basically nothing.

RDM is great because you can backflip off every available ledge and still get a handful of commends if you aggressively verraise once 64 rolls around.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Yeah but Assize is primarily a DPS spell, not even really a healing spell. Sure it heals a bit but top tier whms use it on CD just for the extra bit of oGCD dps regardless of party hp so this player is totally correct to call you out on not using it.

Also Great Gubal Library is super easy at this point so it does not inspire much confidence in the rest of what you're saying when you imply that 1) you let the tank die while doing a big pull and 2) you died at some point as well somehow. Honestly it sounds like to me that this ninja just wanted to get the dungeon done and you were playing some weird "I'm not actually going to heal" game to the annoyance of others. I can understand why they got a bit salty.

And I'm someone who routinely tries to completely dishonest heal dungeons and raids so I get the urge. But like if someone is gonna die, you need to get over yourself and use your skills.

The occasional "Haha look at this bad"->"Oh no I am the bad" turnaround is one of the major reasons I still read this cursed thread. It never gets old.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Eox posted:

RDM is great because you can backflip off every available ledge and still get a handful of commends if you aggressively verraise once 64 rolls around.

Oh, hell yeah. I'm not gonna lie, RDM became about twice as fun the moment I realized how I was meant to be using Corps-a-corps and Displacement.

I'd say the only real problem with RDM is that it starts you at level 50 but then doesn't even give you a hint what you're supposed to be doing with all of these skills it started you with. I was really lucky that a teammate in my first dungeon noticed that I was slowcasting Veraero and Verthunder and pointed out the actual cycle to me, because the game sure didn't and I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be doing that!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they can't stand not getting in here

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Oh, hell yeah. I'm not gonna lie, RDM became about twice as fun the moment I realized how I was meant to be using Corps-a-corps and Displacement.

I'd say the only real problem with RDM is that it starts you at level 50 but then doesn't even give you a hint what you're supposed to be doing with all of these skills it started you with. I was really lucky that a teammate in my first dungeon noticed that I was slowcasting Veraero and Verthunder and pointed out the actual cycle to me, because the game sure didn't and I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be doing that!

The game does tell you that though. The trainer in the 50 job quest talks about using dualcast with the slower spells to make them instant.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Vitamean posted:

they can't stand not getting in here

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

wizardofloneliness posted:

The game does tell you that though. The trainer in the 50 job quest talks about using dualcast with the slower spells to make them instant.

also it should be really obvious the second you read what Dual Cast does

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

the level 80 WHM hat makes my character look like fuckin Amy Sherman Palladino. what a terrible fuckin hat

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How does the game tell you when Dualcast is up, by the way? Does it just get listed as a buff at the top of your screen, or does some other element of the UI alert you to it as well?

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's not a proc, it kicks in automatically when you do something with a cast-bar.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

wizardofloneliness posted:

You realize who you're responding to, right?

Though I didn't really take full cognizance of the thread meme until now either.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Corbeau posted:

You realize who you're responding to, right?

Though I didn't really take full cognizance of the thread meme until now either.

Yes, that’s why I couldn’t pass it up.

But there’s been multiple people in this thread talking about how they were hardcasting the slow spells, which is really bizarre to me. There are plenty of poorly explained things in the game, but RDM is really not one of them.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Suddenly, an Elezen appears!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eox posted:

One of these I don't have for a long time, one of them I forgot I had, and the other two I stopped using to specifically avoid healing him.

Wow you sure owned that idiot for, uh, playing a different role.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah when I unlocked RDM and SAM and they dumped 50 levels of hotbar skills on me I just read through all the ability descriptions and pretty quickly figured out the gameplan.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I will try DRK since I've heard their questline owns.

Shadowbringers ending lore stuff: I guess the implication is that all the WoLs in every shard are fragments of a single sundered Ascian, and a high-ranking one at that since you're close friends of Emet. Probably someone from the Hydaelyn faction? It was mentioned that you're seven times rejoined, so I guess every time an Umbral Calamity happens, the WoL of that shard fuses back in with the Source's WoL (i.e. you), which I guess is what Emet was working towards to restore the rest of the sundered Ascians. Of course, since Ardbert fuses with the WoL, it is clearly possible to recover your fragments without a calamity. I wonder if later expansions are going to be about shardhopping the remaining five shards to get all your fragments back and become "complete", whatever that means.

cheetah7071 posted:

post your bandwagon screenshot

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Ojetor posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I will try DRK since I've heard their questline owns.

Shadowbringers ending lore stuff: I guess the implication is that all the WoLs in every shard are fragments of a single sundered Ascian, and a high-ranking one at that since you're close friends of Emet. Probably someone from the Hydaelyn faction? It was mentioned that you're seven times rejoined, so I guess every time an Umbral Calamity happens, the WoL of that shard fuses back in with the Source's WoL (i.e. you), which I guess is what Emet was working towards to restore the rest of the sundered Ascians. Of course, since Ardbert fuses with the WoL, it is clearly possible to recover your fragments without a calamity. I wonder if later expansions are going to be about shardhopping the remaining five shards to get all your fragments back and become "complete", whatever that means.

DRK is great. On the spoiled stuff, It's not all the WoLs, since Ardbert's buddies were also warriors of light. It's just the "leader" WoL, I guess? And if the folks with our soul fragments on the remaining shards aren't dead, we probably won't be able to rejoin. Maybe they'll all nobly sacrifice themselves. Spoilers for Eden and the capstone role quest: I wonder if our counterpart on the 13th is Unulkuhai or one of the women we meet on the 1st, the shadow lord whose name I'm forgetting or the one with Eden. Might have been someone completely different though, who's lost to us now.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
ShB spoilers.

I'm on the quest line after the second story dungeon where I have to collect four macguffins in order to fight Titania. Game is making me care a little too much about Minfilia. I hope that doesn't mean they're about to kill her or turn her into a Lightwarden :ohdear:

Secx fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cleretic posted:

So what's the generally agreed-on approach to levelling crafting classes from 70-80 right now? I've gotten Miner and Botanist to level 80 pretty painlessly within about a week just through levequests, but crafting is a little overwhelming to kick off with, I'm not sure what class to start with, what content to do, or if I beeline classes through to 80 one at a time or try to do them more or less equally. This is the first time I haven't had a crafting beast tribe to focus on, which was at least cheap if not quick.

The leveling curve on 70-80 doh is ridiculously gentle and if you are able to get your own mats it’s even easier. I’d save that one facet quest for LTW (instead of WVR or CRP, I think). It’s dead easy.