Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Shadowlyger posted:

Machines can't migrate, so if you don't resettle they're all going to pile up on planets that have no use for them unless you turn off the replicators (and lose amenities because they also produce those) or spend influence to turn off pop growth.

Also Automatic Pop Resettlement neatly solves the usability issue. As for balance, lol balance in Stellaris.

If you don't care about balance then why are you worked up over how lack of resettlement would "kill robotic empires"? They're already considered quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Scions looks like you got raised up by another species. That'd be really fun, especially if you can make them so mad they come after you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It still feels kinda not great to keep tacking on more and more features and adding more and more content while so many core mechanics are not functioning great. Hopefully the next DLC addresses some of those longstanding problems.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the development history of Stellaris is alternating total reworks with content drops

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

It still feels kinda not great to keep tacking on more and more features and adding more and more content while so many core mechanics are not functioning great. Hopefully the next DLC addresses some of those longstanding problems.
I agree on the principle of the matter, however, thankfully this is more just enhancing existing functionality and adding new content for it. I totally agree that the game desperately needs a break from new dev and re-works to simply get the existing codebase more stable and existing mechanics bugfixed and aligned to be better balanced and working correctly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree on the principle of the matter, however, thankfully this is more just enhancing existing functionality and adding new content for it. I totally agree that the game desperately needs a break from new dev and re-works to simply get the existing codebase more stable and existing mechanics bugfixed and aligned to be better balanced and working correctly.

One of those two things can be sold as DLC. Which do you think Paradox is going to pursue?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowlyger posted:

Machines can't migrate, so if you don't resettle they're all going to pile up on planets that have no use for them unless you turn off the replicators (and lose amenities because they also produce those) or spend influence to turn off pop growth.

Also Automatic Pop Resettlement neatly solves the usability issue. As for balance, lol balance in Stellaris.
Kill resettlement, put in good migration levers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

scaterry posted:

New dev diary:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-155-origins.1250456/

New information:
Civic: Diplomatic Corps
Origin: Prosperous Unification, Mechanist, Syncretic Evolution, Life-Seeded, Post-Apocalyptic, Remnants, Scion

Life-Seeded Hiveminds! Mechanist Megacorps! As someone who enjoys customizing empires, I'm looking forward to this.

quote:

Who isn’t curious about Remnants and Scions?
Scrub tier hype game, you don't call it out like that you let people pick it up themselves.

Yup, this seems to be mainly refining existing content which is exactly what the game needs. I am Hype For Sensible Incremental Progress

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

One of those two things can be sold as DLC. Which do you think Paradox is going to pursue?
Please point out to me where I said that they could sell bugfixes as DLC? I'm talking about what they need to do to fix the loving game, not how I think they should handle it in terms of their business practices and making money. We are in the situation we are in because they turned a major overhaul into a DLC and have not resolved some of the outstanding issues that resulted because of it. They have technical debt that needs to be paid one way or another and the longer they ignore it the worse it will get.

Splicer posted:

Yup, this seems to be mainly refining existing content which is exactly what the game needs. I am Hype For Sensible Incremental Progress
Exactly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 26, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

New dev diary:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-155-origins.1250456/

New information:
Civic: Diplomatic Corps
Origin: Prosperous Unification, Mechanist, Syncretic Evolution, Life-Seeded, Post-Apocalyptic, Remnants, Scion

Life-Seeded Hiveminds! Mechanist Megacorps! As someone who enjoys customizing empires, I'm looking forward to this.

Remnants would be nice if it let you choose a precursor chain to start with. It is probably just that you start on a Relic World though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hope there's a lost colony origin.

e: I wonder if there'll be origin locked civics.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 26, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Chill man, no need to be defensive, that's not an attack on you. Its just a cynical observation that the business will never stop making saleable content for the sake of refining stuff for free; their customer base has already shown itself willing to pay to fix "broken" content, as it where. Your followup post seems to be in agreement on the sentiment also.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

Chill man, no need to be defensive, that's not an attack on you. Its just a cynical observation that the business will never stop making saleable content for the sake of refining stuff for free; their customer base has already shown itself willing to pay to fix "broken" content, as it where. Your followup post seems to be in agreement on the sentiment also.
Sorry, too many times people take things I say way out of context and I thought it happened again. You're right about their customerbase's buying habits. I guess I'm hoping for Stellaris to get the EU4 treatment, but it is probably too early in Stellaris's life cycle to for that to happen. (EU4 is releasing zero DLC this year. They've done one patch recently and will release a new DLC in the spring, I believe. They are spending this whole year and leadup to that DLC dealing with technical debt, essentially).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

binge crotching posted:

Remnants would be nice if it let you choose a precursor chain to start with. It is probably just that you start on a Relic World though.

Starting on a relic world would be pretty loving bananas if it came with the standard relic world planetary features.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Serephina posted:

Isn’t this exactly what they’re doing with EU4 right now?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry, too many times people take things I say way out of context and I thought it happened again. You're right about their customerbase's buying habits. I guess I'm hoping for Stellaris to get the EU4 treatment, but it is probably too early in Stellaris's life cycle to for that to happen. (EU4 is releasing zero DLC this year. They've done one patch recently and will release a new DLC in the spring, I believe. They are spending this whole year and leadup to that DLC dealing with technical debt, essentially).

I'd love for them to do this on Stellaris. Or just take a little more time for each DLC. Everything with Stellaris has felt rushed, it's full of so many good ideas that didn't quite spend enough time in the oven.

If stellaris was just a bad game I wouldn't care, but it's so close to being good but just has too many really nasty problems. It's like finding your dream house but the roof leaks. It doesn't matter how nice the kitchen is, the drat roof is leaking so maybe don't focus on repainting the bathroom or installing a new entertainment system until that roof is fixed. Yes I know you stripped the entire old tile roof off and put on a new standing seam roof but its still leaking, don't move on to other areas until its fixed.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Can someone give me some modding help? I'm trying to make a simple mod that increases the amount of trait picks I have available. I got pheromones + brain slugs before being able to do genetic modification and now I have points available but no picks. I made the folder, copied the file, and set the max value to something dumb like 20 to see if it worked and no dice. If I understand correctly all I have to do is make the mod, copy the right file from the stellaris folder, add it to the mod folder, make my changes, and run the game. I am very new to this.

Normally I'd just get a mod from the workshop but literally every +trait picks mod is outdated/abandoned.

Edit: nvm I fixed it. I had to recreate the entire filepath :doh: However it seems once you have brainslugs/pheromones they overwrite your negative traits despite being still appended to your species. I can remove the negatives from my original strain though.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 26, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Starting on a relic world would be pretty loving bananas if it came with the standard relic world planetary features.

For sure, especially with the ability to convert it to an ecu at some point. I just really like the idea of being able to choose whatever precursor I feel like for that given game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

binge crotching posted:

For sure, especially with the ability to convert it to an ecu at some point. I just really like the idea of being able to choose whatever precursor I feel like for that given game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1780597499&searchtext=precursor

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

binge crotching posted:

Remnants should be the non-psychics who didn't put themselves into the Shroud/Organics leftover from a Singularity. Give them bonuses against psychics/machines but lock them out of the appropriate Perks.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Gonna try and put my "There are too many planets and the game runs too long without anything big happening" theories into practice with these game settings. Gonna play a standard organic species to get a feel for them.

Galaxy Size: Tiny (200 Stars)
Galaxy Shape: Elliptical
AI Empires: 6
Advanced AI Starts: Off
Fallen Empires: 1
Marauder Empires: 1
Tech/Tradition Cost: 0.25x
Habitable Worlds: 0.25x
Primitive Civilizations: 1x
Crisis Strength: 0.25x
Mid-Game Start Year: 2225
End-Game Start Year: 2250
Victory Year: 2300
Difficulty: Ensign
Scaling Difficulty: Off
AI Aggressiveness: Normal
Empire Placement: Random
Advanced Neighbors: Off
Hyperlane Density: 1x
Abandoned Gateways: 1x
Wormhole Pairs: 1x
Guaranteed Habitable Worlds: Off
Caravaneers: On
Ironman Mode: On

Edit: Started between the Marauders and a Fanatic Purifier woooo

Edit2: And all the nearby worlds are like 20% habitable

Edit3: Faster tech makes how slow starbases are to build even worse

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 27, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gort posted:

Yeah this is a really annoying problem, with planetary buildings as well. It feels like buildings taking about twice as long to build as they should.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are too many buildings with too small of an effect and too many building slots.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

Gonna try and put my "There are too many planets and the game runs too long without anything big happening" theories into practice with these game settings. Gonna play a standard organic species to get a feel for them.

Galaxy Size: Tiny (200 Stars)
Galaxy Shape: Elliptical
AI Empires: 6
Advanced AI Starts: Off
Fallen Empires: 1
Marauder Empires: 1
Tech/Tradition Cost: 0.25x
Habitable Worlds: 0.25x
Primitive Civilizations: 1x
Crisis Strength: 0.25x
Mid-Game Start Year: 2225
End-Game Start Year: 2250
Victory Year: 2300
Difficulty: Ensign
Scaling Difficulty: Off
AI Aggressiveness: Normal
Empire Placement: Random
Advanced Neighbors: Off
Hyperlane Density: 1x
Abandoned Gateways: 1x
Wormhole Pairs: 1x
Guaranteed Habitable Worlds: Off
Caravaneers: On
Ironman Mode: On

Edit: Started between the Marauders and a Fanatic Purifier woooo

Edit2: And all the nearby worlds are like 20% habitable

You know you can't have an endgame crisis before the victory year with those settings right? They can spawn 50 (actually 55 I think?) years after End-Game start at the earliest, which is Victory year with those settings. Though I suppose you can just keep playing after you (or an AI) win.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I know we've all been there, but it's kind of a pain to realize "I really kind of need a sixth Matter Decompressor"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Staltran posted:

You know you can't have an endgame crisis before the victory year with those settings right? They can spawn 50 (actually 55 I think?) years after End-Game start at the earliest, which is Victory year with those settings. Though I suppose you can just keep playing after you (or an AI) win.

Oh, maybe I'll bump the victory year up a century then.

-----

How slow planetary buildings are to make doesn't bug me as much as starbases, since planets are usually only building one thing at a time, and there are techs that speed planetary builds up.

My starbases are always building multiple things, everything takes at least half a year to build, there are no techs to accelerate building, and it only gets worse as the game continues, since the starbases get bigger and have more modules. It must take decades to build an endgame-capable bastion, it's nuts.

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 28, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

Oh, maybe I'll bump the victory year up a century then.

-----

How slow planetary buildings are to make doesn't bug me as much as starbases, since planets are usually only building one thing at a time, and there are techs that speed planetary builds up.

My starbases are always building multiple things, everything takes at least half a year to build, there are no techs to accelerate building, and it only gets worse as the game continues, since the starbases get bigger and have more modules. It must take decades to build an endgame-capable bastion, it's nuts.
What bugs me about starbases is I can't queue up some buildings until I get the associated modules built, and I can't queue up modules until the station's upgraded. I want to be able to go "Turn this into a level 4 base full entirely of anchorages" without having to come back to the same station four or five times.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Being able to set starbase templates that you could build would be even nicer, you often have a bunch of identical starbases with e.g. 6 anchorages, +2 naval cap per anchorage building, storage building, hydroponics (or whatever other filler building to make the outliner symbol go away).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

Being able to set starbase templates that you could build would be even nicer, you often have a bunch of identical starbases with e.g. 6 anchorages, +2 naval cap per anchorage building, storage building, hydroponics (or whatever other filler building to make the outliner symbol go away).
This 100000000%

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey so did Stellaris ever get the mid and late game events that stuff like Crusader Kings II and EU IV have? I want rebellions and dynastic power struggles and interstellar diplomatic crises and stuff. Did that ever happen?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey so did Stellaris ever get the mid and late game events that stuff like Crusader Kings II and EU IV have? I want rebellions and dynastic power struggles and interstellar diplomatic crises and stuff. Did that ever happen?
According to a number of people in this very thread having rebellions and power struggles in your space grand strategy game would be "annoying".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Err, in midgame the AI will uprise to overthrow anyone who has robot pops but no robot rights. And endgame still has the great outsider military threat, shortly preceded by fallen empires waking up and being meanies. But other than the trivial AI thing, nothing that's internal, no.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

According to a number of people in this very thread having rebellions and power struggles in your space grand strategy game would be "annoying".
I think a lot of the people that have that opinion have the caveat "Unless it is implemented well".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Theoretically, you can make pops on a planet so angry they go independent. But that's so hard to do even on purpose, I have no idea if that's even a thing anymore or just something I've read in a dev update talking about it in theory as something they want to do in the future, not right now

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Theoretically, you can make pops on a planet so angry they go independent. But that's so hard to do even on purpose, I have no idea if that's even a thing anymore or just something I've read in a dev update talking about it in theory as something they want to do in the future, not right now

It is a thing but even when it happens it's incredibly easy to deal with because it's literally just one planet that goes independent. They won't even have a fleet or anything to defend themselves. It's more useful as a way to snipe single territories from strong opponents than it is an actual threat to your own empire.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Serephina posted:

Err, in midgame the AI will uprise to overthrow anyone who has robot pops but no robot rights. And endgame still has the great outsider military threat, shortly preceded by fallen empires waking up and being meanies. But other than the trivial AI thing, nothing that's internal, no.

I'm waiting for this right now. I went Pacifist but I want to get my war on so I'm trying everything I can to get people to attack me. I've got a ton of robots but stopped short of researching sentience, and I downgraded all my fleets to have zero weapons, but still everyone hates me but no one wants to try to start poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

50 years into my current game and I still haven't learned how to make robots. And now it's taking longer to shuffle my tech options because I've already researched all the other cheap T1 techs.

Why is this game's tech system so lovely?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

It's almost always garbage in 4x games because of the interruption to the power curve. It also tends to only happen to people who dont know what they are doing. Once you learn the game you can manage it and you never have to deal with it making it a wasted mechanic. Or, if you are forced into wars, you learn ways of minmaxing the setup so that you are heavily favored and the rebellion is easily crushed.

Rebellion mechanics work much better in other paradox games precisely because they arnt 4x.

The original Stellaris design had more federalized politics, which would be more easily converted into power struggles and rebellions. Like the mechanic where ideologies would sort themselves into sectors. But the system was so garbage in every other way that they did the right thing to toss it.

e:

The robots is a good example. You only get AI rebellions if you want them. If you know the game it is easy to avoid an actual rebellion entirely.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 28, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I think a lot of the people that have that opinion have the caveat "Unless it is implemented well".

"And it never is :smithicide: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Splicer posted:

Tiresome is how I'd describe it. I guess it may be a preference thing, but I would rather deal with serious external threats than serious internal threats. In SOTS everyone is trying to kill you. The galaxy is trying to kill you too. And there's ancient horrors that don't mind chewing on some or all of your empire. The AI rebellion in SOTS is an absolute nightmare, even if it happens to someone else, odds are you'll get a taste of the action.

To me all those things are way more fun than "lmao your hiver empire is now split between warring queens, the blue dress faction and the gold dress faction." I think it's cool if CK2 provides that gameplay because it makes sense for the setting, for a space game about conquering the stars and spreading your ideology / beliefs though it would be nice if the threats were external rather than internal.