Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you have any switch controller that supports rapid (or ideally autofire) just leave it running on a normal slot machine with the confirm button held down and go do something else. Hell even leave it overnight if you really want, you will end up with more tokens than you know what to do with because the odds are balanced towards winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Who actually has turbo controllers these days? The only ones with that function are lovely 3rd party ones that I don't want to go anywhere near.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Roulette gains tokens so ridiculously fast that I would just wait for that

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Amppelix posted:

Who actually has turbo controllers these days? The only ones with that function are lovely 3rd party ones that I don't want to go anywhere near.

I'm pretty sure the 8bitdo sn30 pro plus can do this and the current consensus is that it's a top notch pad.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there a text dump somewhere of all the in-battle shypox stuff for your party members? it's a cute idea, but the rate it triggers is pretty aggravating.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's the difference between "Heal All" and "Handy Heal All"?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I accidentally skipped over this text too fast and it’s not in any of the tutorials stored in your menus:

How do I look up the location of Tockles and Pastwords (in game)? I think it was related to the map screen, but I’m not seeing the option among them...

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

YggiDee posted:

What's the difference between "Heal All" and "Handy Heal All"?

Handy Heal All will utilize MP efficiently, so it won't cast another heal spell to recover 2 hp. Heal All heals everyone to full.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Roulette gains tokens so ridiculously fast that I would just wait for that

I don't know how to play roulette apparently, because I never won once.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

DrManiac posted:

Is there a text dump somewhere of all the in-battle shypox stuff for your party members? it's a cute idea, but the rate it triggers is pretty aggravating.
yea, i ended up starting over due to this and the npc's lying one popping up annoyingly often, and you can't take off draconian challenges individually :/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Tripe Draconian Quest option is actually good.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

psychoJ posted:

yea, i ended up starting over due to this and the npc's lying one popping up annoyingly often, and you can't take off draconian challenges individually :/

It sounds like it's too late for you, but you can totally take off individual challenges from the statues (and I assume church) :v:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You can take them off but unfortunately you can’t turn them back on.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The only challenges that aren't dumb as poo poo and actually add fair "challenge" to the game are stronger enemies/no exp from weak enemies. The rest are fairly useless, and just frustrating more than anything else.

But i'm sure some of the text is funny. They really should have added a lot more actual difficulty modifiers.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

DrManiac posted:

It sounds like it's too late for you, but you can totally take off individual challenges from the statues (and I assume church) :v:
wwhat the heck, i tried this at a church and it would only take all of the challenges off. guess I gotta check when I get home! :smithicide:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tempura Wizard posted:

I accidentally skipped over this text too fast and it’s not in any of the tutorials stored in your menus:

How do I look up the location of Tockles and Pastwords (in game)? I think it was related to the map screen, but I’m not seeing the option among them...
Misc. > Info

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Dave rules and should have been a party member.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Skeezy posted:

The Tripe Draconian Quest option is actually good.

I'm not holding out hope for all the extra content to make its way to PC as a mod but I sure hope this does. :allears:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Flavius Aetass posted:

I don't know how to play roulette apparently, because I never won once.

Apparently the exact same roulette trick/strategy from DQ8 still works in this game so go look up that.
I can’t remember the full strat but the basics were save up enough to get around 16,000, bet all of it in a certain pattern and save scum until you win big

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I broke down already and bought the switch version of dqxi, playing it entirely in 2D mode to justify to myself that this is a different game I've paid launch price for instead of buying the same ridiculously long JRPG twice at full price in less than a year.

Is it just my imagination or does the game seem to go by a hell of a lot faster in 2D mode? Even with random encounters being forced on me the world seems to be absolutely tiny and I feel like I'm absolutely smashing through the plot this time around.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nah, the world is definitely smaller and cutscenes move way faster

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I broke down already and bought the switch version of dqxi, playing it entirely in 2D mode to justify to myself that this is a different game I've paid launch price for instead of buying the same ridiculously long JRPG twice at full price in less than a year.

Is it just my imagination or does the game seem to go by a hell of a lot faster in 2D mode? Even with random encounters being forced on me the world seems to be absolutely tiny and I feel like I'm absolutely smashing through the plot this time around.

There's even speed options for battles in 3D mode.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Apparently the exact same roulette trick/strategy from DQ8 still works in this game so go look up that.
I can’t remember the full strat but the basics were save up enough to get around 16,000, bet all of it in a certain pattern and save scum until you win big

At least on PC, it was just "bet on 1/3 of the board, reload if you lose". Which was helped by the fact that going upstairs to the Roulette was an autosave.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
drat it, I can't decide if I want to play it in English or Japanese.

What do you guys think? How's the English voice acting in DQ11?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Based on the demo, I found the English voice acting fine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If you don't experience English Sylvando, you didn't play Dragon Quest XI

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's stellar aside from Erik's accent swinging all over the place at the beginning of the game. He eventually settles in.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Everything about Sylvando is just :allears:
Although one of those Succibats used Puff-Puff on Sylvando and it worked. Dude's kind of sending mixed signals here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

drat it, I can't decide if I want to play it in English or Japanese.

What do you guys think? How's the English voice acting in DQ11?

Both voice casts are good and you can change it up whenever you want so heck, I say mix it up as you go along.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lets hang out posted:

It's stellar aside from Erik's accent swinging all over the place at the beginning of the game. He eventually settles in.

Early on he kinda slips into Jacky Bryant and I keep expecting him to say YEAAAAAH! LESS TALK, MORE ACTION

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Srice posted:

Both voice casts are good and you can change it up whenever you want so heck, I say mix it up as you go along.

Only thing is that the Japanese audio isn't going to match up with the English text at times.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I read somewhere that's it's supposed to be a Scandinavian accent and I don't know enough about accents to say that it's wrong.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Erik sounds like an English person doing a 1930's Brooklyn punk accent.

But yeah, this is one of those times where the English voice acting is actually good. And I very rarely like English voice acting in Japanese titles. This might be somewhat to do with the voice actors not needing to time their lines weirdly, so they could focus more on acting.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love erik's voice, it's genuinely refreshing. his japanese voice sounds exactly like you would expect that character to have and his english voice just....isn't. it's great. His English VA did a lot of UK theater work and some Icelandic films so I believe he just talks like that.

another note for English Sylvando: Shai Matheson gets to play with his voice a lot (go hear the way Sylvando says "The prettiest pearls in all the world! when you get to Lonalulu for the first time) like you'd do if you're just bullshitting with your friends and doing weird voices. It's very charming and fitting

Rab's voice is good but it is weird how classically Old Asian Man Martial Artist his whole design is and then he opens his mouth and is the most scottish motherfucker possible

Everything about Sylvando is just :allears:
Although one of those Succibats used Puff-Puff on Sylvando and it worked. Dude's kind of sending mixed signals here.
people are complicated man dont worry about it

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lets hang out posted:

Erik’s accent being kinda weird makes sense when you play the story more, imo. The VA did a pretty excellent job.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Sylvando also has absolutely top notch English VA. He knocks it out of the park and would be worth it even if the rest of the dub sucked

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's definitely an issue of scale. On the one hand the 3D environments are immersive and offer a lot in terms of exploration, but on the other hand that means a lot more walking, animations for stuff like climbing ladders, more significant load times between areas, etc. Additionally battle is round-based in 2D whereas in 3D your characters act right as you put in the commands.

In some ways it feels like playing two different games that just have the same story, like if the 2D one already existed as a retro game and the 3D version was a big budget remake.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m replaying DQ5 because I need to send my joy-cons in for repair, and I think this is easily the unluckiest I’ve ever been with monster recruits, to the point I’m wondering whether or not I got a fake cart even though it wasn’t used and came in a legit box. I’m at Abovitall Tower with just Hero and Harry and I guess the game is beatable without random monster recruits but I’m pretty sure I’m gonna have a bad time after Harry leaves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I’m replaying DQ5 because I need to send my joy-cons in for repair, and I think this is easily the unluckiest I’ve ever been with monster recruits, to the point I’m wondering whether or not I got a fake cart even though it wasn’t used and came in a legit box. I’m at Abovitall Tower with just Hero and Harry and I guess the game is beatable without random monster recruits but I’m pretty sure I’m gonna have a bad time after Harry leaves.

Like no Slimes even? You have like a 50% chance per slime beaten.

:psyduck:

At least you get Saber pretty soon but yeah gen 2 is gonna be rough as hell. Gen 3 is probably easier with just Hero+Kids+Sancho/Guard than with monsters anyways though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Puff-Puff is Almighty and only has a slight chance to not work on men. Women are immune to its charms.